AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-03-29, 19:53   Link #1221
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Went and saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Liked it so much, I'm going to watch it again with my brother. At IMAX. Because fuck it deserves an IMAX showing.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-26, 20:45   Link #1222
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Just watched Black Hawk Down for the first time, I loved it. Amazing film can't believe I haven't seen it before.
Old 2014-04-28, 00:02   Link #1223
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
In honor of Godzilla (2014) coming out in a little over two weeks, I finally managed to watch the 54' film.

Let's get the bad out of the way first: Emiko's character overacts a bit much in a few scenes, and it's very hard to tell what Shinkichi is doing during Godzilla's first landfall on Odo Island.

Otherwise, this film deserves every praise it gets. The characters are well-defined, always with their own motivations. Even the motives born of Godzilla's actions are always from a cradle of their own thoughts. Dr. Yamane's desire to study Godzilla plays into his scientific curiosity, while Ogata and Serizawa's underlying conflict with each other is pushed forward when facing the leviathan. They invoke empathy, and this fuses strongly with the overwhelming sense of dread from Godzilla's rampages. The rampages themselves forgo bombast for subtlety, letting the connection with the characters create a wave of depression within a sea of nuclear fire.

Yes, there's nuclear metaphor, but it never weighs down the flow of the plot nor do the characters 180 for the sake of preaching. It's believably fused into the story, making Godzilla a monster with meaning; as powerful as it is poignant. And though the special effects no longer rule, Godzilla still remains the King of the Monsters.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 00:06   Link #1224
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I saw Star Trek Into Darkness.

The action scenes are nice, the characters and dialog is sharp, but the story often lacks gravity and rule consistency. It's good, and certainly a lot better than I thought it was going to be. But uuuggghhh the story.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 05:48   Link #1225
OminousFlare

I watched X-Men a few days ago and it was 'okay,' not as great as fans hyped it up to be. I felt that there were a lot more 'telling' than 'showing' in terms of its storytelling (and as writers should know, showing > telling). There were a lot of stuff that the audience had to fill in the gaps by themselves, and they were things that would have greatly increased the overall emotional experience if they hadn't happened 'behind the scenes' like they did in the movie
Spoiler:

Overall, it felt more like a movie about
Spoiler:
Oh, and Beast was there too, sort of.

Last edited by OminousFlare; 2014-05-26 at 05:54. Reason: Spoilers. Sorry.
OminousFlare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live-action, movie, movies