AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-09, 11:22   Link #1
Falkor

Ice Revolution (I-Revo)

manga by TSUTSUMI Aya and TAKEMURA Youhei, serialized in Jump SQ. still on-going with 8 chapters so far, but I've found scanlations up to chapter 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka-Updates
Being the daughter of a dojo manager, Oosawa Masaki has been practicing nothing but karate. Her chance encounter with a certain young man sparks her interest in figure skating. Can a mannish Masaki transform into a sweet, lovely girl on the skating rink?
some comments:

* hey, it's a sports manga about figure skating.
* the main character is a "cross-dressing" female.
* and no, it's not a shoujo manga. :P

I'm not really into sports manga, but I've been enjoying this one a lot. Some of the situations are quite hilarious, and well, figure skating is interesting (or at least in this manga). The art is also great, and I like the character designs of the two females so far shown. it may look like something shoujo-orientated, but it's really not.
Old 2009-06-09, 15:33   Link #2
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah I've liked this one so far. Figure skating hasn't really been my sport but the main character is pretty likable. A pretty tough girl going from karate to figure skating. Though there is the romance aspect with Masaki liking one of the male skaters.
Old 2009-06-09, 16:17   Link #3
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
How many RAW chapters are out there btw?

Not a bad read for someone with as much time on their hands as myself. . .
Old 2009-06-09, 18:26   Link #4
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Hot damn, is this ever entertaining. It's only translated at chapter 7, but SHIT JUST GOT REAL.
Old 2009-06-09, 19:16   Link #5
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Yeah, I've been keeping up with this and it's pretty good. Good art, and skating is something new for me. Plus, Masaki's tomboyish nature makes her so lovable. Her look at the end of chap 7 is simply DEEELICIOUS!!!!
Old 2009-06-10, 23:38   Link #6
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Plus, Masaki's tomboyish nature makes her so lovable.
Indeed.

I read the oneshot by the same mangaka, and it's a similar transformation only the condition of the gal is a lot more... extreme.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-06-11, 00:16   Link #7
Sol Falling

I was totally gonna make this thread eventually before I found this. AiRebo is really quite good. Three/four days ago I was wondering where the hell chapter six was, and now there's even a thread here for it.

Regarding chapter 7, I think it's made Kaoru more interesting (as opposed to hating his guts for not realizing 'datelike date is a date'). His pissed off face is intense. Totally adds more depth to his sugar-coated 'I'm a prince' character. Although he seems to like Masaki well enough, I totally think his [omg spoilers!!1!]overlooking (lol more like rejection) of Masaki's romantic intentions[/end spoilers] had more to do with being tired of girls fawning all over him than actual ignorance.

...And no, that doesn't make him gay (despite, oh god, everything). Nah nah nah, I can't hear you~ *runs away*
Old 2009-06-11, 12:37   Link #8
Falkor

glad I'm not the only one enjoying this manga. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
How many RAW chapters are out there btw?

Not a bad read for someone with as much time on their hands as myself. . .
only 8 chapters, last time I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Yeah, I've been keeping up with this and it's pretty good. Good art, and skating is something new for me. Plus, Masaki's tomboyish nature makes her so lovable. Her look at the end of chap 7 is simply DEEELICIOUS!!!!
yeah, I must agree. she wears nice if not very cute clothing. hard to imagine that it was just a few chapters ago that she wouldn't give a hint of being a girl at all...

...also loved her facial expressions in that same chapter, especially the ones towards the end (surprise, pain, shock, anger...). The last page with the two girls was also nice. Saaya was giving such a clueless and cute face for being in the wrong place and at the wrong time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
Indeed.

I read the oneshot by the same mangaka, and it's a similar transformation only the condition of the gal is a lot more... extreme.
Spoiler:
I also recommend the oneshot. it's quite enjoyable, though the story itself kinda sucked. The mangaka also uses the idea of makeover/transformation, with the character design of the girl being very cute as well.

on another note, can I hope for a Masaki X Saaya pairing? :P
Old 2009-06-12, 00:55   Link #9
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
on another note, can I hope for a Masaki X Saaya pairing? :P
Copypasta from a certain image board:
Quote:
Confused, left alone together after Kaoru's departure, Masaki and Saaya become bitter rivals. Without Kaoru to encourage her femininity, Masaki reverts fully to male form. Seeing how *good* they are individually, and hoping to capitalize on the contrast between Saaya's beautiful gracefulness and Masaki's power and honesty, their respective coaches push them together as a male-female team, hiding Masaki's true sex.

Forced to work together, their rivalry softens into tentative friendship, until Saaya gets taken in by Masaki's boyish charm and confidence; to her embarrassment, she falls in love with Masaki.

On her own side, Masaki remains completely oblivious, until, a few weeks later,during the final movement of their routine, as she holds Saaya in her arms until the spotlight, she sees those feelings in her eyes.

And when Kaoru finally returns, he discovers he got his girl stolen away from him, by the same girl who wanted to confess her love to him.

YURI END.
Or another suggestion:
1. Coach waits until Masaki is the age of consent
2. ?????
3. PROFIT
Old 2009-06-12, 03:01   Link #10
ZODDGUTS

Nah the series is already good without the yuri bs added in. Might as well add moe in the series while your at it to really bring in the profits don't forget the yaoi as well. Then again the coach and the transexual? could count as yaoi.
Old 2009-06-15, 04:03   Link #11
RBomber

Makes a page on TVTropes.org
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../IceRevolution
Old 2009-06-16, 06:22   Link #12
Sol Falling

Chapter 8...my reactions (spoilerish...maybe?):

Saaya is too cute. I lol'ed at Masaki saying she couldn't help herself, 'cause I stared a couple seconds extra myself (and yet, it was subtle enough artwise that I didn't notice that her cuteness was intentional, until after that comment).

Masaki's got some pretty intense 'pissed-off' faces as well. Though hers still aren't as awesome as Kaoru's.

It seems we'll be getting more shounen/sports-mangaish from this chapter. I don't really mind, but I rather hope Nao's comment about Masaki being 'far more beautiful' than Saaya isn't really true. Geez, way to pointlessly belittle an innocent person.
Old 2009-06-16, 09:33   Link #13
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Copypasta from a certain image board:

Quote:
Confused, left alone together after Kaoru's departure, Masaki and Saaya become bitter rivals. Without Kaoru to encourage her femininity, Masaki reverts fully to male form. Seeing how *good* they are individually, and hoping to capitalize on the contrast between Saaya's beautiful gracefulness and Masaki's power and honesty, their respective coaches push them together as a male-female team, hiding Masaki's true sex.

Forced to work together, their rivalry softens into tentative friendship, until Saaya gets taken in by Masaki's boyish charm and confidence; to her embarrassment, she falls in love with Masaki.

On her own side, Masaki remains completely oblivious, until, a few weeks later,during the final movement of their routine, as she holds Saaya in her arms until the spotlight, she sees those feelings in her eyes.

And when Kaoru finally returns, he discovers he got his girl stolen away from him, by the same girl who wanted to confess her love to him.

YURI END.
As much as like to see some Yuri, i prefer Masaki stayed in her current girly form which i like even more since she's more beautiful than the old her. Ofcourse, Saaya & Masaki could always be the first female pair same-sex skating team just like the that movie Blades of Glory and...
Wait a sec, real skating don't allow same-sex pairing skating teams.....
unless... the author decided to change that rule anyway.
Old 2009-06-16, 09:51   Link #14
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
The beauty Saaya possesses is something achieved through years of effort.
I giggled. In the words of me ol' granddaddy, "Some of us got it, some of us don't."

Masaki can look at this way: she's got a body that doesn't quit :V

Also, doesn't the traditional grading count DOWN from the 10 kyu's (10-1), and then counts UP from the 10 dan's (1-10)? Or is figure skating different from martial arts? Though she addresses it similar to karate, which I'm pretty sure does the "kyu ranks progress from the larger number to smaller" thing. For instance, my third kyu trumps someone in fourth or fifth kyu. Well, not that it matters. Sensei once said this:"Treat your testing as simply checkpoints in your martial arts career. Sometimes one's rank may not be a fair indication of their skill in competition."
Old 2009-06-17, 20:16   Link #15
Falkor

hey, there's nothing wrong with yuri. :P

Quote:
Quote:

YURI END.
and this will be the perfect ending for the manga. :P

The only thing I can see happening, as somebody already pointed out, is the two of them (Masaki X Saaya) working together as a team, given how conflicting their personalities are; but after the recent development of the manga, it might not really happen after all.

anyway, some thoughts on chapter 8:

***Saaya looked so cute and delicious in this chapter. ***

* and Masaki had to screw it up now that Saaya warmed up to her... geez.
* and Masaki had to say those harsh things to Saaya (why did she have to act like any other immature brat in a shounen title?).
* thanks god she regretted it (back to square one).

I would say it's quite a surprise to have Karou leave for Canada. Now the focus is back to Masaki and Saaya. :P Maybe we will get to see that other character Masaki "confessed" to in her dreams. He seemed like a minor character, but he can still play some major role in upcoming chapters.
Old 2009-06-18, 12:09   Link #16
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
Saaya is actually nicer to masaki now, "Go and practice hard" Earlier she didnīt even approve of her, nevermind giving her passive advice.
Old 2009-07-01, 04:40   Link #17
ZODDGUTS

Well this series just got the axe.

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=560
Old 2009-07-01, 09:34   Link #18
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
What in the blue blazes of heck? So the mangaka isn't even going to have a chance half-ass a one chapter ending? Dammit all. If shitty generic romance/harem manga can get a 200+ chapter run, why does quality like this have to get the axe?
Old 2009-07-01, 09:50   Link #19
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Spoiler for response:
Old 2009-07-01, 10:07   Link #20
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

I called shenanigans and went to look for myself. Looks like 2ch confirms it.
Closed Thread

Tags
romance, shounen, sports