AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-01-27, 01:12   Link #461
KMB
Wanderer

Location: No one place. I've been around and will probably continue to move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 gundam fan View Post
i would give it a 7 i know a lot of people love g-wing and i have the whole saga, and i got to say. it just doesnt come across for me. the main reason is hero. i cant stand the no emotion robot acting main character (got the same problem with gundam oo a.k.a setsna) i mean how are we mere humans gonna relate or root for unfeeling characters, i mean over time hero does warm up a little, and a reason is given for why he acts that way. but at the end of the day, i cant connect with him.
I agree about Heero - he was actually the only one of the Gundam pilots that I didn't like.... and as it happens, I think Wufei (and maybe Duo) was the most human of the cast, and he also happened to be my favorite...... I think he got a lot of hate, but I liked how he did his own thing and never strayed from his path.

Anyways, I give Gundam Wing a 7 out of 10. I liked the story, even though it wasn't terribly complicated, because of a lot of the parallels I could draw between it and real world politics. I also liked most of the characters. The animation/action was pretty boring and monotonously repetitive - they must have reused hundreds of the battle scenes >_>;, and the ending 'final battle' was a little too cliche for me. Overall, though, I liked the feel of the series and how it was put together, as well as how I felt watching it. Pretty good, and I wouldn't mind a rewatch.
وَكَاءٍ تَرَى مِنْ صَامِتٍ لَكَ مُعْجِـبٍ
لِسَانُ الفَتَى نِصْفٌ وَنِصْفٌ فُـؤَادُهُ
يُهَـدَّمْ وَمَنْ لا يَظْلِمْ النَّاسَ يُظْلَـمِ
وَمَنْ لَم يُكَـرِّمْ نَفْسَـهُ لَم يُكَـرَّمِ
وَإِنْ خَالَهَا تَخْفَى عَلَى النَّاسِ تُعْلَـمِ
زِيَـادَتُهُ أَو نَقْصُـهُ فِـي التَّكَلُّـمِ
فَلَمْ يَبْـقَ إَلا صُورَةُ اللَّحْمِ وَالـدَّمِ
KMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-31, 15:40   Link #462
HDTQW

The 20th Anniversary of Gundam wing is coming up,
so Lets start up this form again!
HDTQW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-31, 18:16   Link #463
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

I'll gladly join. Would you like to propose a topic?

On a side note, Gundam Wing reruns in Japan begin this month. The first two episodes will be shown in exactly one week. Suit up, I guess.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-31, 19:41   Link #464
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Will they use the HD footage from the Blu-ray for the rerun? If so, is this rerun just an attempt to sell the BDs more, with no other purpose?

Man, how I wish they'll animate GoL with today's animation after the manga is finished since it's the story that connect to Endless Waltz. The TV series, not so much (especialy if we look at the mecha retcons).
Old 2015-01-31, 21:55   Link #465
Knight_SV

maybe animated GOL will be the something big that sunrise has prepared for Wing
Knight_SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-01, 12:29   Link #466
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Will they use the HD footage from the Blu-ray for the rerun? If so, is this rerun just an attempt to sell the BDs more, with no other purpose?

Man, how I wish they'll animate GoL with today's animation after the manga is finished since it's the story that connect to Endless Waltz. The TV series, not so much (especialy if we look at the mecha retcons).
This the most likely reason for the reruns. Annimated GOL would be cool, but it just sounds to goodto be true. Above all within the the gundam franchise, it's about making the momo. If re-aring the TV series has a chance to increase Blu-Ray sales, they'll do it. Sure hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by GN0010 Nosferatu; 2015-02-04 at 12:04.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-03, 22:03   Link #467
The American Average
2LMES

yeah Animated GOL sounds way to good to be true. Plus the GOL manga isn't even close to done. But I'd love to see it animated anyways.
Old 2015-02-05, 22:41   Link #468
HDTQW

I don't think Sunrise would re-animate an already existing series even if GOL has some continuity differences (90's manga also differs from the anime),if there ever were to be another anime in the Gundam Wing universe it is more likely that it would continuation of the story. Not necessarily just an animation of FT (or I hope not), but a story that could stand on its own and be accessible to kids who haven't seen the older series.

Last edited by HDTQW; 2015-02-05 at 22:57.
Old 2015-02-06, 06:47   Link #469
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

I agree. There's no way they'd reanimate an already existing series. But I wonder; would an OVA in the style of Odds & Evens (basically a clip show that sums up the story) with GOL instead be lucrative?

If they're going to do something, I hope it's not that 3D nonsense Evolve. Now, that was pointless.
Old 2015-02-06, 20:14   Link #470
The American Average
2LMES

An OVA of the of the clips that are missing in the lore for TV series? Sounds a bit too small really, GOL is just making the story flow better really, imo. Its not adding too much in terms of brand new content.

Unless its the FT background explaining lots of Treize stuff, the Gundam backgrounds etc then yeah they probably, even easily really, make a 3 or so episode OVA. Would be kinda cool seeing young Trieze, Zechs, and Noin running around in custom leos fighting. Would also be nice to see who'd voice Vingt as well.
Old 2015-02-07, 14:58   Link #471
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

I can do without Angelina though.

Anyway, the first two episodes of GW are airing in Japan sometime now. Wanna talk about those?

The animation in the first 4 episodes is so crappy, it's hilarious. Relena really does look ...unflattering. And even after all these years, I still can't get over her introducing herself to air. Like, what the crap Sumizawa? (Because we should all know by now it was most likely him.)
Old 2015-02-08, 17:51   Link #472
HDTQW

For the most part, the first two episodes are really good at establishing the situation and what the characters are going to be like for first half of the series, but there are some dorky images:

And there are a few moments that need further explanation than what is just shown!

*Minor Episode Zero comic spoiler*
The reason given for Relena trying to introduce herself to the air after seeing Heero for the "first time"was that he reminded her of a "boy" she saw 4 years ago who she never got to talk to.

It's possible that explanation was just made up for the comic, but if that was the ideal from the animation staff, that really should have been explained in the few episodes that followed and not left for the fans to figure out long after the fact.

Last edited by HDTQW; 2015-02-09 at 01:23.
Old 2015-02-09, 04:44   Link #473
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTQW View Post
*Minor Episode Zero comic spoiler*
The reason given for Relena trying to introduce herself to the air after seeing Heero for the "first time"was that he reminded her of a "boy" she saw 4 years ago who she never got to talk to.

It's possible that explanation was just made up for the comic, but if that was the ideal from the animation staff, that really should have been explained in the few episodes that followed and not left for the fans to figure out long after the fact.
Eh when I first watched it like a decade-and-a-half (holy fucking shit O-o) ago I thought she just being romantic/dramatic for no particular reason, and it never bothered me, lol
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-09, 21:04   Link #474
HDTQW

I was 12 the first time it aired on Toonami and I was completely in to every thing that was happening, then that moment happened and I was like "wtf?! What is that suppos to mean?" I had it recorded, so me and my sister played it a few times making fun of how out of placed it seemed. Good time, LOL
Old 2015-02-11, 07:27   Link #475
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quite honestly, it's still out of place, even with Episode Zero. Just because Relena talked to air before doesn't make her doing it a second time any less weird. Makes it worse, in fact.

But I hate her EZ anyway, since it's pointless and cliché-riddled, so eh.

I always wondered why fans back then thought Heero was so cool and perfect, yet hated Relena's guts. Were they even paying attention? Heero sucks mud in those first episodes. Perfect soldier my foot, he gets busted right away, doesn't blow up Zechs' carrier like he was ordered to, loses his Gundam, fails to destroy the evidence of his botched mission and even leaves eyewitnesses. All on day one.
Never mind that he's a moron who doesn't know what keeping a low profile means (seriously, the stuff he does in front of his entire school....) and the biggest jackass, being a rude jerk to a perfectly nice girl and laughing at killing people, until he blows himself up and starts straightening out after that.

Everyone else reached Earth without a hitch and yet Heero gets lauded as this infallible superhuman. Yeah, no, fandom.

I'm also always put off by his laughter every time he kills someone early on. Watching EW, he was laughing it up in his flashback, too, so the theory that he got retrained after killing the little girl and lost it due to that training, resulting in his maniacal laughter, doesn't hold. Either he got retrained before killing the little girl, and his remorse shows that he still retains his innate kindness, or the laughter is unrelated to the training.

Thoughts?
Old 2015-02-11, 10:13   Link #476
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Quite honestly, it's still out of place, even with Episode Zero. Just because Relena talked to air before doesn't make her doing it a second time any less weird. Makes it worse, in fact.

But I hate her EZ anyway, since it's pointless and cliché-riddled, so eh.

I always wondered why fans back then thought Heero was so cool and perfect, yet hated Relena's guts. Were they even paying attention? Heero sucks mud in those first episodes. Perfect soldier my foot, he gets busted right away, doesn't blow up Zechs' carrier like he was ordered to, loses his Gundam, fails to destroy the evidence of his botched mission and even leaves eyewitnesses. All on day one.
Never mind that he's a moron who doesn't know what keeping a low profile means (seriously, the stuff he does in front of his entire school....) and the biggest jackass, being a rude jerk to a perfectly nice girl and laughing at killing people, until he blows himself up and starts straightening out after that.
I think, your assessment is pretty much right on the money. And yeah, Hero is (was?) a terrible person in episode 1 that wouldn’t think twice about killing (hundreds of?) innocent people in a shuttle just because it gets in the way of his mission. Not only that, he lose to a freakin’ Leo! Wing Gundam, a superior MS in every way and built to fight in the sky lost to a Leo without a proper flight pack?! WTF, Hero! Where’s the result of your training?! Yes, Wing got shot by Zech’s Leo’s gun before the fight, but it couldn’t be that bad.

Quote:
Everyone else reached Earth without a hitch and yet Heero gets lauded as this infallible superhuman. Yeah, no, fandom.
Well, to be fair, everyone else didn't get to fight Zechs during their landing, that's for sure. That guy's real good.

Quote:
I'm also always put off by his laughter every time he kills someone early on. Watching EW, he was laughing it up in his flashback, too, so the theory that he got retrained after killing the little girl and lost it due to that training, resulting in his maniacal laughter, doesn't hold. Either he got retrained before killing the little girl, and his remorse shows that he still retains his innate kindness, or the laughter is unrelated to the training.
I think when he met the young girl, he’s already trained to be a soldier. It’s just after that, they decided to train him even harder. Then again, in GoL, they removed that little bit about Heero willing to kill the civilians in the shuttle we saw in the anime. They made his character less heartless by removing that cruel bit. And GoL is supposed to be the legit backstory for EW, not the TV series.
Old 2015-02-12, 21:32   Link #477
HDTQW

Heero isn’t afraid to kill innocent people if it is necessary for his mission:
A jet if it got in his way, so he would shoot down.
OZ shows up at the school, so he attacks them even though there are still students there.
But then he feels bad for killing the pacifist after finding out who was really on that plane.

He has a mission and he will do what is needed to complete it, simple as that.
Old 2015-02-12, 21:44   Link #478
HDTQW

On another note, Heero is an efficient solider (with questionable morals) who just so happens to enjoy his job, thus maniacal laughter after seeing his work is understandable and I see no problem with it.
All the boys of Gundam Wing are committed to their parts in the war (different from Amuro Ray who was a reluctant hero for of his show) and are all shown either having no problems with killing or enjoying it like Heero.

So most of what we see of Heero in the beginning of the series makes perfect sense to me.
Old 2015-02-20, 21:53   Link #479
HDTQW

Found a relevant video on the YouTubes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF6O8QPxeNI
Old 2015-03-11, 01:15   Link #480
wushusmackdown

Anyone know where I can find the original endless waltz manga? All I can find is glory of the losers.
wushusmackdown is offline   Reply With Quote