Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-09-10, 08:46   Link #41
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Was there any anime that tried to tie in with the Nagano 1998 winter olympics?I can't think of one.
A few points:

1. For a long time, the Summer Olympics tended to be more popular than the Winter Olympics. This may have changed due to Salt Lake City in 2002, but I think it was still true back during the Winter Olympics in Nagano, 1998.

2. There were fewer anime made back in the 90s than there are now. Substantially fewer.

3. Battle Athletes and Battle Athletes Victory aired back in 1997 and 1998. Now, the setting for it is the distant future, so it doesn't reference the 1998 Olympics. But I wouldn't be surprised if this anime was inspired by the excitement surrounding the upcoming 1998 Winter Olympics.
Old 2013-09-10, 08:58   Link #42
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Oh sorry if I wasn't clear, I was honestly just curious. I fully agree with point 1) and 2)

3) makes me lol because I swear back in the 90s anime just had to bring a sci fi twist to right about everything
Old 2013-09-10, 09:06   Link #43
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Oh sorry if I wasn't clear, I was honestly just curious.
It's cool.

You raised a very good question and point, actually. One I hadn't thought of. I'm admittedly now having second thoughts about there being some anime tying into the 2020 Olympics. I'd like for there to be, because I think it would be a shame for the anime world to not tap into this at least a little bit.

Quote:
I fully agree with point 1) and 2)

3) makes me lol because I swear back in the 90s anime just had to bring a sci fi twist to right about everything
Good point about 90s anime. If it wasn't sci-fi, it was fantasy, and often both, lol.
Old 2013-09-10, 10:36   Link #44
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have been racking my brain to recall the anime I had seen with Olympics posters. It was Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora, aka "Someday's Dreamers II." This was back in 2008, and the posters were advertising Tokyo's bid for the 2016 Olympics.

I also did a search at AniDB using "olympics" as the keyword. There is Eikou e no Spur: Igaya Chiharu Monogatari, released in 1997 and described as "A biography of Chiharu Igaya, who won a silver medal in men's slalom in Cortina d'Ampezzo Olympics in 1956, and became the first Japanese Winter Olympics medalist." A couple of other well-known shows appear on the list as well. Both Urasawa's Yawara: A Fashionable Judo Girl and Ginban Kaleidoscope have heroines who want to perform at the Olympics.

Here's the full list of 44 items if you're interested: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...fsearch=Search

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-09-10 at 10:52.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 19:20   Link #45
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't think that anybody is saying that sports anime will be showcased at the Olympics. What we're saying is that there will be sports anime created to tie-in with the Olympics. In other words, that you'll have your normal one cour/two cour anime shows that reference the upcoming Olympics and tie into it in some way. Something like Free! (or perhaps even a future sequel of Free itself) except it will incorporate the Olympics directly into its plot.
With all due respect, even that's probably pretty difficult, what with the IOC and copyright, where they don't want anyone but sponsors to even *mention* the Olympics name...

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 20:24   Link #46
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
With all due respect, even that's probably pretty difficult, what with the IOC and copyright, where they don't want anyone but sponsors to even *mention* the Olympics name...
With all due respect, I think you're overstating your argument a fair bit.

Free! has already had explicit references to the Olympics in its anime. Apparently no copyright stopped KyoAni here.
Old 2013-09-10, 20:53   Link #47
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Some things I know are off-limits like the five rings.

Here's the Olympic licensing brochure for London 2012. The "Olympic Movement," as it is referred to on the first page of the "Overview" section, owns a hell of a lot of stuff that makes a hell of a lot of money.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-09-10 at 21:14.
Old 2016-08-19, 23:34   Link #48
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Japanese Bolt ran a great race earlier today, he was actually quite near to Bolt himself for a moment. Will be eager to see how he performs in 4 years time...or if he spawns any anime lol

Also, the best last Olympic event for Bolt's career....that final charge down the last 100m...
Old 2016-08-20, 00:04   Link #49
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I can't recall ever seeing an anime show about gymnasts or synchronized swimmers. The latter is an event where the Japanese have been especially strong, though they only won the bronze this time around. As I watched the female gymnasts this year, they seemed like the ideal subject for an otaku-oriented show with DFC lolis in tight costumes. You could even have a whiff of yuri among the gymnasts themselves. Perhaps there have been such shows, and I just didn't take notice.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2016-08-21 at 09:13.
Old 2016-08-20, 00:36   Link #50
BPD Renegade

Guess I'll leave this here since the thread got bumped up:
Quote:
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today agreed to add baseball/softball, karate, skateboard, sports climbing and surfing to the sports programme for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.
Source

Baseball's back in, and I think there was a climbing short a while back?

From off the top of my head, Daiya, Slam Dunk, Baby Steps, Haikyuu, and Free are some realistic Summer Olympics sports series that could be used for a montage. (keyword: realistic, so no PoT, Kuroko shounen magic)
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 11:15   Link #51
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I can't recall ever seeing an anime show about gymnasts or synchronized swimmers. The latter is an event where the Japanese have been especially strong, though they only won the bronze this time around. As I watched the female gymnasts this year, they seemed like the ideal subject for an otaku-oriented show with lolis in tight costumes. You could even have a whiff of yuri among the gymnasts themselves. Perhaps there have been such shows, and I just didn't take notice.
Japan has also been winning gymnastics consistently thanks to Uchimura
Old 2016-08-21, 04:49   Link #52
judasmartel
*Author

Anime that actually try to capitalize on the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. I'm so hyped.

With Japan's strong performances in certain events and determination to build a solid team coming into 2020, there will be lots of potential for sports anime as the next Olympics approaches.

Now, RKB S3 with Tomoka and her gang as middle/high schoolers when? Japan performed well in women's basketball, making it to the quarterfinals while beating hosts Brazil and much taller European teams in Belarus and France on the way.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-21, 09:19   Link #53
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
Baseball's back in
This could prove difficult for Major League Baseball. Who could they send in the middle of August when teams are in mid-season? It was easier for golf leagues to adjust their schedules, and the teams only consisted of 2-4 players of each gender. Will MLB cherry-pick 24 top pros from around the league to field a team, or will we send a team of college kids and, perhaps, minor leaguers? I know I wouldn't have wanted to see David Ortiz off at the Olympics this year while the Red Sox are in a tight pennant race.

Japan intends to shut down its professional baseball leagues for the duration of the Olympics. I don't see that happening here.
Old 2016-08-21, 13:03   Link #54
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I wanna see anime and idol performances in the opening ceremony.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-21, 19:40   Link #55
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I wanna see anime and idol performances in the opening ceremony.
Of course. That is, if J-Idol groups are still a thing by then.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-21, 20:08   Link #56
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

The only anime that I've seen recently that have tied into the Olympics somewhat were Free and last season of UtaPri...

Spoiler:
Old 2016-08-21, 20:48   Link #57
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've been trying to track down the video shown during the closing ceremonies in Rio where Shinzo Abe transforms into Mario, goes through a pipe, and appears in Brazil.

Update: For those of you in the US, it starts around 3:23 in the NBC coverage here: http://stream.nbcolympics.com/nbc-da...rimetime-et-ct. For those in other countries, you'll have to watch your local providers.

Boy, that archer is quite the beauty!

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2016-08-21 at 21:19.
Old 2016-08-21, 20:57   Link #58
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Good luck finding that footage.

--

Just saw the entire thing. Aside from what SeijiSensei said, there was Doraemon, some old anime-styled animation of kids playing soccer, Hello Kitty, and Mario.
Old 2016-08-22, 15:38   Link #59
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Just saw the entire thing. Aside from what SeijiSensei said, there was Doraemon, some old anime-styled animation of kids playing soccer, Hello Kitty, and Mario.
The soccer anime is Captain Tsubasa.
Old 2016-08-22, 17:38   Link #60
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

You bet I don't!