AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-01-10, 02:25   Link #61
Kazu-kun

Shirase is too dumb to live. I don't know if they're gonna make it to Antarctica but I do know they shouldn't let Shirase go. She's gonna endanger everyone's lives, no doubt.
Old 2018-01-10, 02:42   Link #62
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Shirase is too dumb to live. I don't know if they're gonna make it to Antarctica but I do know they shouldn't let Shirase go. She's gonna endanger everyone's lives, no doubt.
Nah, she's just naive. They'll all make it, and they'll be fine. They can't not make it at this point. The story has already invested too much in them making it.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-10, 02:55   Link #63
Kazu-kun

Nah she's dumb. She has no clue what she's doing and her plans make no sense. I'm half expecting the other girls will have to do all the heavy lifting to get to Antarctica because I just can't see Shirase doing anything right.

I do like her though. Her terminal stupidity is kind of endearing.
Old 2018-01-10, 05:12   Link #64
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Her ingenuities seem to dangerously lean in the direction of putting her friends at risk of sexual molestation. With a bit of luck, given that in Antarctica they should only meet penguins, they should be fine.

(Note: yes, it is know penguins don't have the best track record in that sense either. However I believe they've never attempted anything on humans.

Yet.

End note)

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-10, 05:41   Link #65
Kazu-kun

Do you think she wouldn't do anything dangerous to find her mother during the trip? There's a reason the members of the expedition don't want to accept her. She's not just lacking smarts but is too emotionally involved too. It's a very dangerous combination.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2018-01-10 at 05:52.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-10, 05:54   Link #66
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Do you think she wouldn't do anything dangerous for the sake of finding her mother during the trip? There's a reason the members of the expedition don't want to accept her. She's not just lacking smarts but is too emotionally involved too. It's a very dangerous combination.
Yeah, I know, I was just kidding. In one sense it might help bring closure to her, in another however she's a ticking time bomb and would need close supervision. I wonder how this will be addressed. I'm not even sure they actually will end up in Antarctica. Maybe they will stowaway and the expedition will have to deal with the fait accompli. Maybe they just won't get there, and the story is actually about her working out her denial issues.

Old 2018-01-10, 07:02   Link #67
Tenzen12

Dumb or not, it's pretty obvious group can't get to Antarctica without her. She has not more drive and knowledge (not to mentions money) then rest of group combined. Remove her and expedition will instantly fall apart.

Let's be honest people who play safe can never reach greatness.
Old 2018-01-10, 09:01   Link #68
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

I think this is less about her being willing to not play safe and more about her actually lacking a lot of practical knowledge. She knows about Antarctica but she's very green in terms of worldly matters, which in their case can be as fatal, not to the actual survival part, but to the actually getting there part.

Also, she has the potential to be psychologically unstable. She's probably not going down that way, but as an adult, if you think there's even a 1% probability of something going wrong, you're probably going to rule out the idea of bringing her along altogether.

Old 2018-01-10, 09:01   Link #69
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Dumb or not, it's pretty obvious group can't get to Antarctica without her. She has not more drive and knowledge (not to mentions money)
She has a million yen, or about ten thousand bucks. That's not a lot given the sort of trip she wants to make. It would cost that much for a one-person cruise ship trip around the coast of Antarctica, two or three heavily supervised landings on-shore for half a day each and a few close-up encounters with icebergs and then home again two weeks later.

An Antarctic science or support staff position costs ten times that amount a year and more, not including salary. It's a really expensive place to go to and stay for any length of time. A million yen is earnest money, not anything that could actually fund the sort of trip she wants to take. If nothing else she would need official Government permission to go, landing and staying on Antarctica is restricted by international treaties for very good reasons.

My guess is that there is going to be some kind of Junior Adventurer thing based on a competition or similar, funded by the Japanese government to promote the Shirase's working trip to Antarctica and offering places on board to a few high-school students. The three/four girls spend a number of episodes attempting to win those places and maybe some get on board but not all, drama, surprises, "all for one!", "go without me" etc.

It's intriguing enough and sufficiently well-written I'll keep following it for at least a few more episodes but the Suck Fairy lurks around every corner...
Old 2018-01-10, 15:04   Link #70
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It certainly seems like a fair choice to remove her as leader of this operation. While she's determined and focused...she's got serious flaws. I'm actually amazed she avoided getting lured into shady work before the start of this show. Doesn't seem to have the natural common sense to avoid getting into that kind of thing or anyone around her to calm her down.

All the reasons in the world to not just blindly follow her and then add that she's emotionally compromised. Can't just follow someone that might randomly wander off to try and find her mother. Understandable that her mother's likely past expedition partners don't want to include her in general.

But of course they are going to get there. The trick is getting to that point. First we need to assemble the full group, which should happen next episode. And then yeah find a way for them to work towards getting on this trip.

I like the addition of Hinata. A pretty energetic force and a nice personality to add to the mix. Also good that Megumi while not going along on this trip is still serving as an important friend. Giving good advice and encouraging Mari to not just blindly follow Shirase. Considering how big this whole idea is, it is important to ask questions and think for herself.
Old 2018-01-10, 15:11   Link #71
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Let's be honest people who play safe can never reach greatness.
Someone like Shirase will never achieve any sort of greatness. She's all talk. She's apparently been trying to do this for quite a while with no results to speak of. Now she got lucky to meet Mari and Hinata (and Yuzuki) who will most likely end up taking care of everything for her and achieving what she couldn't do for years in a short of among of time.
Old 2018-01-10, 15:23   Link #72
Tenzen12

All talk, huh. She collected over 10 bucks through parties and studied her ass know first and last about expedition. Mary and Hinata might help as break with some of more reckless elements of plan, but in the end it is and will continue be her plan even if outlines change for bit with other girls imput.

Mari and Hinata don't know jack how to get into Antarctica, all they have is bit of common sense. Group indeed need that but don't expect anything more of them. It's laughable you expect Mari who can't even skip school without following someone else do more for one.

Plus this "what she couldn't do for years" line showing you don't watch properly. Planing and preparing for expedition take years and that's what she was doing. If someone helps with finishing touches hardly undermine all work she did until now.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2018-01-10 at 15:35.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-10, 15:34   Link #73
Kazu-kun

This episode made it abundantly clear the expedition won't take her money. That's the end of the "money will get us there" strategy which was dumb to begin with. All her plans are dumb and pointless.

Mari and Hinata will most likely bring Yuzuki into the group. According to the character profiles Yuzuki is the daughter of the rich woman funding the expedition. Yuzuki will get the girls in.

In any case, the girls removed Shirase from the leadership position for a reason. She's a hindrance as a leader. Better to have her as the group's mascot or something. To minimize the damage she can do.
Old 2018-01-10, 15:46   Link #74
Tenzen12

Oh you expect girls getting into Antarctica for free, I guess one of girls can wave spider webs into cloth and sew clothes that can withstand -50 C° temperature from it. For food they can eat snow and they got there by swimming and running. Well with bit luck some they can. Sorry but if you think girl can get into Antarctica without money you are much more foolish than Shirase.

Well she is not good leader, I will give you that at least
Old 2018-01-10, 15:52   Link #75
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Oh you expect girls getting into Antarctica for free.
They're not going as tourists. It's an expedition. In the real world Antarctic expeditions are funded by the government. This is basically the same except it's privately funded. It's sponsored and funded by Yuzuki's mother.

So yeah, I don't think the girls will have to pay anything.
Old 2018-01-10, 16:00   Link #76
Tenzen12

Oh right you think expedition funded by government will take in four teenagers?

Exactly because they will not, girls aim for expedition that is funded by private sector, which is still their only shot as they are only one who might take them in. But you probably forgot about that...
Old 2018-01-10, 16:08   Link #77
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Oh right you think expedition funded by government will take in four teenagers?
I didn't say that. Did you actually read what I posted?

Quote:
Exactly because they will not, girls aim for expedition that is funded by private sector, which is still their only shot as they are only one who might take them in. But you probably forgot that
I didn't forget anything. You forgot the expedition already found a sponsor that will pay for all their needs. That's Yuzuki's mother. They don't need Shirase's money.

Now that Shirase can't bribe her way into the expedition, her money is pointless. Enter Yuzuki, the daughter of the woman funding the expedition. Yuzuki has the connections to let Shirase and others into the expedition as proper members.
Old 2018-01-10, 16:17   Link #78
Tenzen12

It wasn't bribe, it was sponsorship and it wasn't rejected because expedition doesn't need money, but because they aren't willing take in young girls at the moment. If they want in they will need pull own weight financially as everyone else. Unless all of them can became established scientists or technicians in these few months. It's expedition not charity.

Regardless whether they can convince them otherwise, funds will still needed also for preparation. As someone noted even 1M yen is still far from enough.
Old 2018-01-10, 16:22   Link #79
Kazu-kun

Quote:
It wasn't bribe, it was sponsorship and it wasn't rejected because expedition doesn't need money, but because they aren't willing take in young girls at the moment.
It was rejected for both reasons. They reveal they actually didn't need her money after Shirase leaves the place. That's when they introduce Shiraishi who will pay for everything. This woman:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Regardless whether they can convince them otherwise, funds will still needed for preparation. As someone noted even 1M yen is still far from enough.
If Yuzuki gets them in as proper members, they won't have to pay anything. I'm pretty sure that's where the story is going considering Yuzuki was riding the same train as them at the end of the episode.
Old 2018-01-10, 16:30   Link #80
Tenzen12

They can't became proper members if they don't pull own weight financially. They aren't scientists, technicians nor polar explorers. They can get in only as sponsors. Proper members means they would have to be beneficial to team.

As I said before, it's expedition not charity. Well if you can't understand even that I will stop until you willsay something wrong next time.