Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-18, 12:11   Link #1
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
Looking for a new romance anime

You get some people asking for romance on here, different threads have been made asking for romance suggestions. Well I am looking for a romance or two also.

Looking for just pure romance and drama; something you can really get into. I don't feel like having stuff like mecha or shounen in it. A harem or love triangle? Maybe, but depends what it is. I just want a slice of life romance, no fantasy. Comdey is fine. And I'm so not sure about Ecchi, depends on how I feel; nothing like Kanokon anyways lol. I want the romance to be good with a satisfactory ending.

I think an example like Koi Kaze without the incest, and Strawberry Panic without the Yuri, is along the lines.

Okay then.
Old 2009-07-18, 12:22   Link #2
Theowne
耳をすませば

I don't know what you mean by "no shounen", that is a demographic, there are romances that are shounen series.

Also by new, do you mean airing now? Or as in relatively recent?

For actual new series I recommend Cross Game. For relatively recent series I suggest Honey and Clover.

But if by new you mean "one I haven't seen before" I have a whole load of other recommendations.

Oh, and you might like True Tears as well, though it is a love triangle.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-07-18, 13:27   Link #3
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
The phrase "no shounen" is no shounen . Examples being Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach are typically characterized by high-action, often humorous plots featuring male protagonists. So I don't want any of that whatsoever.

Also, the "one I haven't seen before" new is what I mean.

I'll look into your recommendation and suggestion.
Old 2009-07-18, 14:12   Link #4
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
The phrase "no shounen" is no shounen . Examples being Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach are typically characterized by high-action, often humorous plots featuring male protagonists. So I don't want any of that whatsoever.
Kimagure Orange Road is a shonen romantic comedy with no action. As is Love Hina. It's a demographic, not a genre, and many good romances fall under it.

In any case, my highest reccomendations of romance anime without the "new" time restriction are the following: Maison Ikkoku, Touch, Honey and Clover, and Whisper of the Heart. The last is a Ghibli film. The first are two 80s anime nearly 100 episodes each, but completely rewarding and unique (and in my opinion better than almost any romantic comedy-dramas since). And then as I mentioned before, Honey and Clover, for the only romance anime that I consider truly great from this decade.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2009-07-18 at 19:55.
Old 2009-07-18, 14:19   Link #5
Lirael

Send a message via MSN to Lirael
Clannad's nice, although that does have a bit of fantasy in it... But nothing too extreme. Don't think dragons and demons. Think...philosophy, I suppose. Hard to explain without spoiling the first arc! It's mainly realistic, and certainly a slice-of-life anime. Less fantasyish than Kanon, made by the same people. Oh, and the art is beautiful! The music truly aids the experience. Hey! The girl's even called Nagisa, like the one in Strawberry Panic. There's a sign!

Whisper of the Heart IS a good movie, which seems to suit what you're asking for. So I'd certainly watch that.
Old 2009-07-18, 17:31   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

True Tears is easily the best romance series of the last couple of years, in my view.
Old 2009-07-18, 19:19   Link #7
Echoes

True Tears and Clannad are both great suggestions, be sure to check them out. Even if you don't like one, you very well might love the other. They're very different approaches to the genre, but both do an outstanding job at delivering top notch enjoyment.

Another romance series that I liked, but a lot of people didn't, was Kimikiss. I found it to be a cute teenage romance series without too much silliness or overly dramatic scenes. Apparently not for everyone, though.
Old 2009-07-19, 16:11   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I second Maison Ikkoku and Cross Game
Closed Thread