AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old Yesterday, 22:59   Link #241
Verso Sciolto

The transfer of "Kotonoha no Niwa" from cinema seat version to armchair format is really good. The way "Kimi no Na wa" has been received I doubt they'll have budgetary restraints for the production of even better quality disks... which means that as long as the pause function on the main feature isn't disabled, I'm telling myself that I'll be ecstatic with whatever formats are made available for home theatre.

When watching "Kimi no Na wa" for the first time, the appearance of the teacher on the big screen sent a bolt through the theatre. The word 万葉集 immediately stood out for me on the blackboard even at that time. It is difficult to convey here how exciting that moment was. Then regular time resumed in the cinema and the story started flowing again. But that moment was still the first thing I thought about, the first scene I desperately wanted to revisit and examine more closely, as soon as I walked out of the cinema.

In
Spoiler for The Garden of Words:
There are still written elements in this film I want to check more thoroughly. Going for the best quality available is going to be very tempting. Subtitled commentary tracks too would be most welcome...

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; Yesterday at 23:18.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:06   Link #242
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
You still need a 4K BD Player, and those aren't cheap. Even the cheap ones, they won't give you good video quality at all. You want to spend on a $400 and up models. The Xbox One is the cheapest 4K BD Player, but it's crap. Also, I wouldn't buy a cheap 4K TV unless it's an OLED. You want to get a TV that gives you excellent picture quality, not just a 4K resolution. Most 4K TVs aren't that good anyway. My Plasma TV still destroys them in the picture quality, and you'll want that instead to get the most out of this movie.
The plus side is that the ultimate collector's edition also comes with the standard HD Blu-Rays. That's actually a pretty good choice, now that I think about it: folks like myself with a good BD drive can watch the 1080p version straight away, and once the 4K technology becomes a little easier on the wallet, there we'll be with the 4K disk ready to roll. That's probably how I'll roll...I'm not quite ready to make an investment into 4K just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Oh boy... now I really need to find a way to afford a 4K set in the meantime (hopefully one with HDR) for this. I've got my pre-order down on the UK version as soon as it went up on amazon.
I'm cool with the Japanese version, myself. If English sub versions begin appearing in local retailers, I'll consider it. That leads me to a general question:

What's the quality on the English dub like? I only saw the Japanese version, myself.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; Yesterday at 23:24.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:11   Link #243
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
What's the quality on the English dub like? I only saw the Japanese version, myself.
I thought the dub was pretty good personally. Some scenes felt a bit lol, but that's probably cause I actually understood what they were saying instead of reading subs. I think it would be worthwhile to pick up, if nothing else, based on that UK listing, even the dub special edition isn't going to be crazy expensive, although it's only going to come with the Blu-Ray and DVD of the movie and the OST, so none of those extra discs the JP editions are putting in or the stickers.

Edit: Won't happen, but I think it would be cool if they did an extended cut of the movie that extended the front and back ends of the movie. Like someone mentioned, it didn't really feel like they were swapping for very long and it would be cool to have that whole area expanded to show how they slowly over time are able to adapt to each other's lifestyle bit by bit. And then I was a bit disappointed that the backend was basically entirely from Taki's POV, would have liked to see how both of them were moving on in the intervening years, would have liked to have known what Mitsuha kept from the whole thing too. Cause even if you take the whole forgetting thing to be something like the world correcting things for them changing the timeline there's still some material events that they remember. Taki does remember going to the Itomori ruins even if he can't remember why. What exactly does Mitsuha remember about going to Tokyo, and does what little they can recall drive some of the decisions they end up making as they grow up?

Last edited by jpwong; Today at 00:41.
jpwong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:20   Link #244
Verso Sciolto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
... Itomori ...
Names and place names like this must be tricky territory for translators, especially in a case like this film, in that they're fictional and so deliberately created to match other elements of the story being told. How, if at all, is the town name, Itomori, dealt with in the dub you saw?
Old Today, 02:56   Link #245
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
Names and place names like this must be tricky territory for translators, especially in a case like this film, in that they're fictional and so deliberately created to match other elements of the story being told. How, if at all, is the town name, Itomori, dealt with in the dub you saw?
Could you list out what sort of context you're looking for? I can't recall them specifically calling the town's name out as being something especially special, but it's not like I was keeping an eye out for something. And from what I've read online the only thing they didn't really bring over was the whole watashi/watakushi/boku/ore scene since it really doesn't translate at all into English since we don't have different intonations of "I".

I really hope that when the DBs drop, someone will go screencap and translate all the screens where they were leaving notes to each other, because I don't know if the subs do it better, but the dub only translated (with subs) a couple of key items on the screen, so there was all this text that probably listed out a whole bunch of extra stuff (specifically looking at the stuff Taki left in Mitsuha's notebook and the "don'ts" list they had on their phones)
Old Today, 04:59   Link #246
Verso Sciolto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
It would probably have stood out if the creators of the dub had pointed out what I was alluding to. I called it tricky because names and place names aren't usually translated. Per convention. Explaining them would require lines of voice over or exposition in extended dialogue and/or onscreen signs. The same applies to subtitles, while such expounding isn't required in the original language. It is visibly clear at first glance.

Spoiler for Town name:

... and the same goes for all the text elements you mentioned. Pure curiosity about their meaning and about the decision making process that goes into the translations.

General comment. Perhaps stating the following is redundant but I want to make this absolutely clear. Subtitles and dubs are obviously extremely useful, necessary even, for a film like this to reach a much larger audience. These posts are meant to be informative, to provide additional background and to find out more myself. They're not meant as negative criticism.
Old Today, 05:05   Link #247
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
You still need a 4K BD Player, and those aren't cheap. Even the cheap ones, they won't give you good video quality at all. You want to spend on a $400 and up models. The Xbox One is the cheapest 4K BD Player, but it's crap. Also, I wouldn't buy a cheap 4K TV unless it's an OLED. You want to get a TV that gives you excellent picture quality, not just a 4K resolution. Most 4K TVs aren't that good anyway. My Plasma TV still destroys them in the picture quality, and you'll want that instead to get the most out of this movie.
I didn't expect the XBox to fail that badly. Is the picture quality not up to par? That would be disappointing. Anyway my plan would always be to use my PC for playback (as for how to get the files there I'll cross that bridge when I get there ).
Old Today, 05:07   Link #248
jpwong

Ah, yeah no they didn't point anything out, they just translated the name as is.
Mostly interested in the other stuff because on the phones the list is clearly longer than the first 3 lines, and the sketchbook when they realized that they're actually trading places didn't really get translated at all, but it's clear it meant something. This is where I kinda wish they'd put in the effort some of the really old fansubs of TV series used to do where they actually overlaid the English signs/text in a way that looked seamless.