AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-11-09, 17:36   Link #3281
AisuruMirai
箱者

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
It's because there are a lot of people who call themselves 'vegetarian' who eat fish.
Certain self-proclaimed vegetarians may eat fish, but I'm asking why they don't think of it as meat. It's not "not meat" simply because self-proclaimed vegetarians eat it. By that logic, beef is not meat if self-proclaimed vegetarians eat it.

Quote:
Fish are often seen to be lower lifeforms than say cows or chickens because they don't seem to have emotions etc.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that cows, chickens, pigs, goats, or whatever mammal or bird has emotions as we commonly define them. Additionally, I don't think you can define the word "meat" as "the flesh of an animal that seems to have emotions, etc." Or can you?

Quote:
Also a large number of 'vegetarians' don't eat meat for supposed health and or environmental reasons instead of moral reasons, and fish is better in that regard compared to red meat.
I don't think that people conceptualize or define "meat" by health effects & environmental impact.

Quote:
Fish really isn't considered to be meat, it's considered to be sea food. And while both were once living and they're both protein I don't consider them to be the same thing at all.
So why not? Is it because it comes from the water? Is a manatee seafood?
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 18:25   Link #3282
mit7059

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat
Quote:
The word meat is also used by the meat packing industry in a more restrictive sense—the flesh of mammalian species (pigs, cattle, etc.) raised and prepared for human consumption, to the exclusion of fish and poultry.
Also from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_(food)
Quote:
Vegetarians normally don't eat fish, and usually consider that fish is meat, since it is the flesh of an animal.

However, pescetarians eat fish and other seafood, but not mammals and birds. The Merriam-Webster dictionary dates the origin of the term "pescetarian" to 1993 and defines it to mean: "one whose diet includes fish but no meat."[8] Pescetarians may consume fish based solely upon the fact that the fish are not factory farmed as land animals are (i.e., their problem is with the capitalist-industrial production of meat, not with the consumption of animal foods themselves).[9] Some eat fish with the justification that fish have less sophisticated nervous systems than land-dwelling animals. Others may choose to consume only wild fish based upon the lack of confinement, while choosing to not consume fish that have been farmed.
And for a more traditionalist view on why certain opinions might be held, the religious aspect.
Quote:
Religious rites and rituals regarding food also tend to classify the birds of the air and the fish of the sea separately from land-bound mammals. Sea-bound mammals are often treated as fish under religious laws - as in Jewish dietary law, which forbids the eating of whale, dolphin, porpoise, and orca because they are not "fish with fins and scales"; nor, as mammals, do they "cheweth the cud and divideth the hoof." (Leviticus 11:9-12) Jewish (kosher) practice treat fish differently from other animal foods. The distinction between fish and "meat" is codified by the Jewish dietary law of kashrut, regarding the mixing of milk and meat, which does not forbid the mixing of milk and fish. Modern Jewish legal practice (halakha) on kashrut classifies the flesh of both mammals and birds as "meat"; fish are considered to be parve, neither meat nor a dairy food.

Seasonal religious prohibitions against eating meat do not usually include fish. For example, meat was forbidden during Lent and on all Fridays of the year in pre-Vatican II Roman Catholicism, but fish was permitted (as were eggs). (See Fasting in Catholicism.) In Eastern Orthodoxy, fish is permitted on some fast days when meat is forbidden, but stricter fast days also prohibit fish with spines, while permitting invertebrate seafood such as shrimp and oysters, considering them "fish without blood."[citation needed]

Some Buddhists and Hindus (Brahmins of West Bengal and Saraswat Brahmins of the Konkan) abjure meat, but not fish. Muslim (halaal) practice also treats fish differently from other animal foods.
At the end of the day everyone is going to have a different opinion, especially when it comes to such a touchy subject as vegitarianism. I think what people are asking you when they ask you 'Do you eat fish?' is 'Are you a vegetarian or a pescetarian?' because I'm guessing (and I've encountered) pescetarians who will introduce themselves as vegetarians because they don't want to have to explain the difference to people.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 19:44   Link #3283
Bad Romance
Dancing in the dark/

Why isn't there a SAILOR MOON sub forum in the anime section? =(
Bad Romance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 20:55   Link #3284
Slice of Life
eyewitness

The staffs opens a forum when they see or expect that an anime will generate enough traffic to make a forum useful. User requests have no influence on the decision.
Old 2009-11-10, 08:23   Link #3285
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Ok, new silly question, silly question =)

Why general population want to have a 6-pack abs?
You don't need a clear 6-pack to have a strong rectus abdominis muscle.... Also when i think about it, it's quite useless, unless you learn martial art and need a strong muscle to protect your stomach. Then unless you like swimming or walk around shirtless, it's not visible most of the time anyway

My biggest guess is because it's one of the milestone for people to achieve (much like dunk in basketball)
Old 2009-11-10, 08:34   Link #3286
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post

You don't need a clear 6-pack to have a strong rectus abdominis muscle.... Also when i think about it, it's quite useless, unless you learn martial art and need a strong muscle to protect your stomach. Then unless you like swimming or walk around shirtless, it's not visible most of the time anyway

My biggest guess is because it's one of the milestone for people to achieve (much like dunk in basketball)
It looks cool. Disagree?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 09:25   Link #3287
AisuruMirai
箱者

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
Quote:
Religious rites and rituals regarding food also tend to classify the birds of the air and the fish of the sea separately from land-bound mammals.
I see. I was unaware of any religious aspect to the question, but that makes sense in a way--"God said so, so that's what I believe"--as illogical as it is. & apparently "vegetarians" who eat fish don't think of fish of something as other than meat, but rather as fitting outside the category of "animals that I don't eat because they discernibly suffer when people kill them". Interesting. Thanks.

Quote:

It's hot. Really hot. It's all about sex, in the end. Hmmm... Awkward phrasing... But, being in America, I disagree with the "general population" part of the question. This is the fattest nation in the world, so I'm pretty sure that the general population here wants a six-pack of another sort.
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 13:18   Link #3288
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:

Not many people want bodybuilder-like sixpacks (hypertrophy, you're trying too hard), but most everyone wants to look lean and somewhat muscular. The best way to this is to become fit and in the process remain within a healthy weight range, because a sixpack will show on someone who's not overweight regardless of whether they do crunches every night or not.

Aesthetically guys do all this to impress girls, which is half the reason we breathe.

But generally a more distinct sixpack means stronger abdominal muscles and therefore greater core strength, imperative for athletes.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 14:01   Link #3289
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

Eh. If I had a six-pack, I might take up "walking around shirtless" as a hobby.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 17:20   Link #3290
Mi-Roo
Lovable Loli
*Graphic Designer

I had a silly question last night...
It was answered along something like this...

Elda: *Walks into living room* Ohhh, whachu watchin'?
Mother: The movie Piranha.
Elda: Oh I see...

*Without thinking**Knows She's seen it before*

Elda: Isn't this movie about the evil piranha?
Mother: ........I would think so, yes.
Elda: What? Why the stare?

*5 minutes pass*

Elda:*Blush*.....Ohhhhh. Eheheh.... .////.;;;

So here is a question for the sake of the thread.
.....Will scientests ever discover a way to enlarge things
like fruit and other foods? I'd die from happiness from a
jumbo strawberry cheese cake. Yummy~ <3
Mi-Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 02:27   Link #3291
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elda View Post
So here is a question for the sake of the thread.
.....Will scientests ever discover a way to enlarge things
like fruit and other foods? I'd die from happiness from a
jumbo strawberry cheese cake. Yummy~ <3
Create something out of nothing?...scientists?...Not likely. Law of Conservation of Mass/Matter.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 17:51   Link #3292
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
movie info

My nephew was asking me about a movie about two old married couple living with there or visiting there grandchildren who are teenager's. But they get second chance when they get turn into teenager them self by some kinda magic or potion or something and they go to school & to the prom.

can anyone please tell me the name of this movie please?
Old 2009-11-11, 17:56   Link #3293
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

There's probably multiple movies with that scenario. What country is it from?

Edit: The only one I've seen personally is Seventeen Again.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-11-11 at 18:07.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 18:14   Link #3294
hollowification

well its American movie of course
Old 2009-11-11, 18:18   Link #3295
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
There are a lot of American movies with that premise. First one that comes to my mind is "Seventeen Again", but that's the most recent version and not the one I'm thinking of. Do you know how acted in it, or who directed it and produced it?
Old 2009-11-11, 18:27   Link #3296
hollowification

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
There are a lot of American movies with that premise. First one that comes to my mind is "Seventeen Again", but that's the most recent version and not the one I'm thinking of. Do you know how acted in it, or who directed it and produced it?
No i dont but all i remember was american family all it was two old people who get turn into teenager but they try it fit in the school and the grandchildren try to keep them in line

all i remember was they listen to music and the grandchildren say Grandparents turn down the music.

But they get arrested
Old 2009-11-11, 18:29   Link #3297
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Yep, sounds like Seventeen Again with the Mowry sibling. That's the 2000 version, not the newer one.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 18:36   Link #3298
hollowification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Yep, sounds like Seventeen Again with the Mowry sibling. That's the 2000 version, not the newer one.
That it thanks now i can tell my nephew who want to see it i go rent it for him
Old 2009-11-17, 16:14   Link #3299
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
There was this site just recently linked in AS but I forgout it already ..

In it, you could upload a picture which then would show if the image was hosted at any of the sites ( Sankaku Channel, moe, Danbooru, Gelbooru etc. ). It was good way to look for tags or identificate pictures ..

Anyone know it ._. ?
Old 2009-11-17, 20:27   Link #3300
Crisis
Rock on ^^

How come

Each anime's school uniform is different?
Nearly each anime has an episode where the characters go to a a hot water spring OR to the beach!
Details of characters' families are obscure.
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious