AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-10-14, 12:55   Link #1
7Th
Mixtape

Miyamoto Musashi: IG x Kazuto Nakazawa

Script is by that Oshii guy... but who cares about Oshii, anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll
Production IG and Mamoru Oshii have announced their next theatrical animation project: Miyamoto Musashi. It is based on an original concept by Oshii and he will be writing the script. The director of the movie will be Mizuho Nishikubo, who also directed the P-IG series Otogi Zoshi. The character designs are by Kazuto Nakazawa of Samurai Champloo fame. The animation director is Kazuchika Ise, who has worked with Oshii on many previous movies like the Patlabor movies and GitS2. The film will be distributed by Pony Canyon.
http://www.famitsu.com/anime/news/1219042_1558.html
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 06:58   Link #2
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Script is by that Oshii guy... but who cares about Oshii, anyway?
Miyamoto Musashi, now with an extra helping of existential angst and pretentious psychobabble tacked on. (gee, I hope not... )

More seriously, does "original concept by Oshii" mean this is not a adaptation of the Yoshikawa novel fictionalization like Vagabond or the movie trilogy, but a fresh new take on his legend?

Last edited by glyph; 2008-10-15 at 14:30.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 00:22   Link #3
aardvark

Hahaha wow

I ignored this announcement despite seeing Oshi's name. But I didn't know Nakazawa was involved. Consider me interested now.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 12:12   Link #4
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
I haven't watched Sky Crawlers yet, but when Production I.G and Oshii announce a new project I always get sooooo excited.
Old 2008-11-08, 23:38   Link #5
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

I really like Miyamoto Musashi, so I'll be checking this one out to see how it turns out.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 10:28   Link #6
_gallo_

Official site is online (with a little trailer): http://musashi-souken.com/

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 00:03   Link #7
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Excellent. 2 names that I liked is on the list. I am looking forward to a great anime experience.
Old 2008-12-18, 15:41   Link #8
Ryo.Massaki

Not too fond of the characters here. Whats wrong with his arms? Did he took shark anabolica to get this strong? Musashi was a strong guy yes, but no reason to make him look like John Rambo. But hey, its Production IG and that guy who did the Kill Bill sequence, i am sure as hell it will be worth watching.
BTW big Musashi fan here, i ve read the book by Yoshikawa 5 times. I am a little bit sad that IG didnt make a series out of the material, but a cinema movie is fine too (bigger production values).
Ryo.Massaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 10:31   Link #9
Kurai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo.Massaki View Post
Not too fond of the characters here. Whats wrong with his arms? Did he took shark anabolica to get this strong? Musashi was a strong guy yes, but no reason to make him look like John Rambo. But hey, its Production IG and that guy who did the Kill Bill sequence, i am sure as hell it will be worth watching.
BTW big Musashi fan here, i ve read the book by Yoshikawa 5 times. I am a little bit sad that IG didnt make a series out of the material, but a cinema movie is fine too (bigger production values).

Original concept doesn't necessarily mean he isn't using ideas from the novel. Judging from the trailers, he might be taking stuff from many different sources, including the novel.

Aside from Teddy Roosevelt, I don't idolize any figure in history like I do Miyamoto Musashi. My cat's name is Musashi, for heaven's sake.
Kurai~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 18:22   Link #10
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Looks very promising and the trailer looks yummy . With Examurai Sengoku stalled, this will deliver my samurai fix . Hopefully doesn't turn out like Blade.of.Immortal also having picked up Vagabond itching to watch something of that genre .
Old 2009-06-23, 18:51   Link #11
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

^Watch Sword of the Stranger if you haven't already
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 21:56   Link #12
metamorphic
ことわり
*Fansubber

Just had a look at an amazing preview and behind-the-scenes look into Musashi: Dream of the Last Samurai (which has just been released across Japan) on NHK's imagine-nation. It looks absolutely splendid and it really feels like Nishikubo Mizuho, Oshii Mamoru and the I.G. staff have made something truly magnificent, which really blows apart just about every other historical anime adaptation, including Sword of the Samurai and even the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs, which is definitely saying something. Oshii and Nishikubo mentioned that they had wanted to portray a side of Musashi not previously seen in the many works based on his life, most specifically his tactical nature and true personality, and of their intention to portray the most accurate representation of Musashi's much celebrated life, with Nishikubo terming it as being more of an "animentary" (portmanteau of "anime" and "documentary"), rather than the traditional "drama" of other adaptations.

The film has quite a distinctive style, presented in an interesting shade of black and white; Nishikubo mentioned that each of the film's scenes were specifically designed to recreate the feel and art of Musashi's famed treatise The Story of the Five Rings. This is extremely different from any of Oshii's other films, being more action-oriented (he noted he wanted to give the film more of a lively feel, rather than a "boring" one) and feeling much more Japanese, which is a great thing, considering the historical nature of the subject matter. What I found particularly striking and extremely interesting was Nishikubo's choice of rōkyoku and shamisen for the film's music, which, performed by the famed rōkyoku and shamisen player Kunimoto Takeharu, suits the sword fighting scenes perfectly and would have to be one of the best musical scores I've ever heard. I simply cannot wait to see this.

Last edited by metamorphic; 2009-07-22 at 21:41. Reason: assorted touchups
metamorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 08:24   Link #13
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Just watched Musashi...

Hmm, first of all, please dont compare it to Sword of Stranger or Rurouni Kenshin OVA. They are two different things. While Sword of Stranger focus heavily on action, Musashi is kinda like the documentary of Musashi Miyamoto.

Well, as my impression say, it's unique...

I must agree with metamorphic, yes the music is excellent. Loved the shamisen sound...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 15:15   Link #14
rainrix

Hello, the dvd is available in Japan, does anybody know if there is a fansub group on it?
rainrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 16:10   Link #15
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Did not live up to my expectation. That's all I have to say.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote