AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-06-12, 15:45   Link #61
Caddberry

Send a message via AIM to Caddberry
The Top 100 list constantly fluctuates due to review moderation, and fanboys/girls spamming, but the spam reviews arent nearly as bad as they were when the list arrived.

Honestly, we are constantly review moderating in our spare time, but more and more reviews constantly come in.

There is also work being done on the site, but yeah I really wish people would stop submitting crap reviews as well.

I havent been on this board in awhile.. ^_^
Caddberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 16:18   Link #62
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

I can agree with like 30 of the top 100, just not in the order that they have.

KGNE, to me, is accurate enough because I feel it's a fairly different anime of the rest and it's a very good piece of work, but that's my opinion and if it were up to me, it'd be #1

There are a few of those "OMG if you don't like this anime you suck" kinds of ones up there, but I'm not much into those 'everyone-has-to-see-it" popular (Naruto) types. I try to watch a couple episodes before I make a decision, but watching 32 of Naruto and not finding anything super special about it, I gave up
Old 2004-06-12, 18:57   Link #63
Lucier
Lunar Translator

After seeing 2 anime's I've translated in #1 and #2, I can't help but smile ^_^... (those being FMOS and KGNE, which are, indeed two of my favorites)

Even if some disagree, and even if the list isn't 100% accurate, I still think it's good.
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 19:20   Link #64
Rarity

I've always liked the Top 100 list. Most of the ratings averages are pretty solid, and I have picked up a couple of excellent animes based on these averages. The rankings are good, but could be made better for my tastes by adjusting the weighting of # of votes down slightly.

All in all, much of the fun in these lists is arguing about them!
Rarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 20:13   Link #65
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

top list by public ratings and polls are always representive of only popularity. And popularity has no direct relation to quality.

If you ask me, Gunslinger Girl and Noir rankings are fine. EVA, Nadesico and Utena should be in top 10 (they don't get called the 3 definitive otaku anime of the 90's for no reason, while currently Nadesico is #97 and Utena is not on the list! ) Lain should be higher, Boogiepop Phantom deserves a place, and Kino no Tabi is definitely one of the best anime ever. While things like Shaman King, Chobits and Onegai Twins on the list is just absurd... well that's just my opinions anyway... and if that list is a "top 100 best anime list" (which it obviously isn't...)

Anyway, I think that list offers some good reference if you just want to get an anime to watch to pass the time, however people should keep in mind that it's definitely not the "best anime top 100" list, rather the "most popular anime top 100" list...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 21:33   Link #66
Caddberry

Send a message via AIM to Caddberry
Hey DarkCntry, fancy seeing you here ~_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
top list by public ratings and polls are always representive of only popularity. And popularity has no direct relation to quality.
Well said.. Popularity does have little to do with the actual quality, and because some anime isn't pushed as much people don't see it, and it gets easily overlooked.

Quote:
Anyway, I think that list offers some good reference if you just want to get an anime to watch to pass the time, however people should keep in mind that it's definitely not the "best anime top 100" list, rather the "most popular anime top 100" list...
This is true as well. When I first came to the animesuki board it was around the time I was getting VERY into anime, and I was looking for a permanent forum home so to speak.. I found AnimeNfo, and I now have quite a few series from that top 100 List.. The major problem we had was that when it arrived immediately people spammed and pushed up their favorite anime. Which is why we are now conducting review moderation, but like i said there is so much to go through, and so little time to do it.

I always liked the reviews (some of them ~_^) And I still read them today to help me decide on a series.. But before we started heavy moderation you would get pages of stuff like "This was good" or "Best Ever!" Which tells the reader absolutely nothing.. We are still in the process of deciding which way were going, and still have tons of stuff to go through, but I will say that the reviews look much better than they did..
Caddberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 22:36   Link #67
Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless

If you ask me, Gunslinger Girl and Noir rankings are fine. EVA, Nadesico and Utena should be in top 10 (they don't get called the 3 definitive otaku anime of the 90's for no reason, while currently Nadesico is #97 and Utena is not on the list! ) Lain should be higher, Boogiepop Phantom deserves a place, and Kino no Tabi is definitely one of the best anime ever. While things like Shaman King, Chobits and Onegai Twins on the list is just absurd... well that's just my opinions anyway... and if that list is a "top 100 best anime list" (which it obviously isn't...)

Yes this list is not about best anime but, popular anime.
You can see this by looking at the year of the anime on this list
70% are 2000 and later (actualy 63% of the anime are 2001 - 03)
and that is because of people reviewing fansubs I think.

The older (before 2000) shows I think deserve to be on the list but,
the newer ones (at least half) is way overrated.

Actualy I have seen everything on this list except (hmm only seen 76%)
3 Rurouni Kenshin - Reminiscence (1999)
10 One Piece (1999)
23 12 Kokuki (2002) (well I have seen 6 eps, it they were good)
24 Inuyasha (2000)
25 Rurouni Kenshin (1996)
31 Hikaru no Go (2001)
37 X TV (2001)
40 Scryed (2001)
41 Vandread 2 (2001)
43 Tennis no Ohjisama (2001)
49 Vandread (2000) (seen first 5 eps and droped it)
53 Ranma 1/2 (1989)
59 Jungle wa itsumo Hare nochi Gu (2001)
62 Initial D - First Stage (1998)
65 Slam Dunk (1993)
67 Ai Yori Aoshi (2002)
71 Shaman King (2001)
72 Rurouni Kenshin - Seisouhen (2001)
94 Kodomo no Omocha (1996)
96 Fushigi Yuugi (1995)
97 Martian Successor Nadesico (1996)
98 Yu Yu Hakusho (-)
99 Gunparade March - Arata Naru Gyou Gunka (2003)
100 Maburaho (2003) (quited half way through, licenced and boring)

And form the list of shows I have not seen, I would like to see
Rurouni Kenshin (it takes 3 places on the list so it's probably good),
12 Kokuki, Kodomo no Omocha and thats about it I think.
Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 23:12   Link #68
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles
Yes this list is not about best anime but, popular anime.
You can see this by looking at the year of the anime on this list
70% are 2000 and later (actualy 63% of the anime are 2001 - 03)
and that is because of people reviewing fansubs I think.

The older (before 2000) shows I think deserve to be on the list but,
the newer ones (at least half) is way overrated.

Actualy I have seen everything on this list except (hmm only seen 76%)
3 Rurouni Kenshin - Reminiscence (1999)
10 One Piece (1999)
23 12 Kokuki (2002) (well I have seen 6 eps, it they were good)
24 Inuyasha (2000)
25 Rurouni Kenshin (1996)
31 Hikaru no Go (2001)
37 X TV (2001)
40 Scryed (2001)
41 Vandread 2 (2001)
43 Tennis no Ohjisama (2001)
49 Vandread (2000) (seen first 5 eps and droped it)
53 Ranma 1/2 (1989)
59 Jungle wa itsumo Hare nochi Gu (2001)
62 Initial D - First Stage (1998)
65 Slam Dunk (1993)
67 Ai Yori Aoshi (2002)
71 Shaman King (2001)
72 Rurouni Kenshin - Seisouhen (2001)
94 Kodomo no Omocha (1996)
96 Fushigi Yuugi (1995)
97 Martian Successor Nadesico (1996)
98 Yu Yu Hakusho (-)
99 Gunparade March - Arata Naru Gyou Gunka (2003)
100 Maburaho (2003) (quited half way through, licenced and boring)

And form the list of shows I have not seen, I would like to see
Rurouni Kenshin (it takes 3 places on the list so it's probably good),
12 Kokuki, Kodomo no Omocha and thats about it I think.
for that list I recommend Kenshin Reminiscence and Seisouhen, 12 kokuki, scryed... and definitely Nadesico!
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 14:11   Link #69
LytHka
Banned

Anime ratings

A few minutes ago I got frustrated about Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and went to visit AnimeNfo.com because I remembered the anime having the second place on their Top 200 Anime ratings list. I thought I was going to calm down but then I saw it being the #1 anime on the list. I mean, "WTF!" I thought, "It can't be!" so I went to check AniDB.net and to my relief found it nowhere on their Top 10 ratings list.

Now, both ratings lists have only Fullmetal Alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin's OAV and Cowboy Bebop on top 10 positions. Now, it's something but... I mean... come on! Do these rating systems and the crowds visiting both sites differ that much to have such different ratings? Which one should the casual leecher trust more?
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 14:26   Link #70
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

I have a feeling the casual leecher should not pay attention to those ratings, sadly. Because it all boils down to who likes what, in the end websites with episode to episode reviews are the winners...
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 14:36   Link #71
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
A few minutes ago I got frustrated about Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and went to visit AnimeNfo.com because I remembered the anime having the second place on their Top 200 Anime ratings list. I thought I was going to calm down but then I saw it being the #1 anime on the list. I mean, "WTF!" I thought, "It can't be!" so I went to check AniDB.net and to my relief found it nowhere on their Top 10 ratings list.

Now, both ratings lists have only Fullmetal Alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin's OAV and Cowboy Bebop on top 10 positions. Now, it's something but... I mean... come on! Do these rating systems and the crowds visiting both sites differ that much to have such different ratings? Which one should the casual leecher trust more?
This has been raised a number of times now (and I'm sure there had been more threads about it lost in the recent forum restore). Here are some of the existing threads complaining about the same thing.

animenfo top 100 list
Has animenfo gone bonkers?
Whats up with those moronic animenfo reviewers?

As mangatron states, such rating by fans doesn't exactly work and shouldn't be taken seriously.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 15:07   Link #72
LytHka
Banned

Sorry for being unoriginal. A possible thread merge maybe?
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 16:00   Link #73
Infinite_Ryvius

kimi ga is one of my favourite animes i'm really not sure what people have against it
Infinite_Ryvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 09:47   Link #74
milotaku

one of teh reason MYBE coz it is a sad anime >_< ... I watch KGNE.. one only.. and after dat, burn out.. .... BTW.. teh are also some anime are overated >3> example? Naruto and Bleach..... no offence... doesn't mean it is popular.. it is good...
milotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 10:19   Link #75
DaFool
Resident devil

Ratings only work for mass-market items such as Hollywood movies and mainstream anime. They aren't worth anything for niche things such as obscure ero-game based anime.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 10:27   Link #76
Bracken33

I think the ratings on animenfo.com alone should not be taken too seriously. New and popular anime enjoy a huge advantage. Good older anime is too easily displaced.

On the other hand I really like animenfo. The huge number of fan reviews (the actual text) imho give you a better idea, how much you will enjoy a show, than a single professional review for example.
Bracken33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 10:36   Link #77
ShikaShika
無罪

A tip, find someone (on these boards or somewhere else) who you know have similar tastes, and exchange tips. It usually works a bit better than trusting a bunch of statistics. Just because an anime is well made, it doesn't have to be in your taste, which is why ratings like those can be misleading. I personally don't like erogame based anime that much either, I thought KgNE was just ok, and I couldn't even finish AIR.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 14:37   Link #78
Ilpalazzo-sama

AnimeNFO Top200 was never really accurate IMO...For me, KGNE is easily in my virtual top 10, but...no, probably not #1. AniDB's and ANN's top list might be a bit more accurate, but i don't entirelly agree with them either of course, but i think no one here does...Everyone has his/her own virtual top 10 (or top 20...30...40...depends how much animes have you seen/really liked).

(And, the Kenshin OVA is way, way, way, way, waaaay overrated....it is good...but why the heck is it #2 at ANFO and AniDB??)
Ilpalazzo-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 15:09   Link #79
Kensuke

I usually read those reviews rather than rely on numbers, that gives me some idea what kind of series it is. Of course peoples tastes varies greatly but it gives you more information than just numbers. Sometimes I just know whether or not I'm going to like it.

New bishoujo anime? Count me in.
New shounen series (100+ episodes)? No thank you.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 15:16   Link #80
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Tip: First, see if the genre is your kind of thing, then see how many people rate it the same without giving it a 9 or more and 5 or less (I'm talking about animenfo). Worked pretty well for me so far.
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote