AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Old 2015-08-19, 02:16   Link #1
thekryz

Question Anime fof my 4yo daughter (JapDub!)

Hi everyone,

my 4yo daughter has been watching "Chi's Sweet Home" and digs it. We have also seen Season 2, so that show is through.
She has been watching it in Japanese and actually learnt quite some words from it. I would love to support that further, but which shows can we watch in Japanese that she will understand just from context that are age-appropriate? I need your help.
thekryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-19, 02:29   Link #2
wuhugm
Salted Tiger

Boku no Pico

Usagi Drop = No Joke
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-19, 02:49   Link #3
Haak

Maybe too obvious but...how about Pokemon? You've got hundreds of episodes there if she does decide to pick it up.
Old 2015-08-19, 03:44   Link #4
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

But I thought people are complaining how Pokemon sucks, or something like that.

Oh well, since it's a 4-year-old out there, you just can't introduce her to the dark side yet.
Old 2015-08-19, 04:31   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Chiís Sweet Home is a sweet anime for youngsters indeed. Not very many titles can live up to it. Nevertheless, Iíd like to recommend some others.

For a 4yo girl, these titles might be proper:
Snow Fairy Sugar
Bincho-tan
Minky Momo: Hold on to your Dreams
(The 1991 version. The older version might be too ugly for her)
Dobutsu no Mori
Doraemon
Ojamajo Doremi

And yes, I second Pokemon if your daughter is okay with action & fights.
Old 2015-08-19, 04:31   Link #6
larethian

I think Pokemon is really a good recommendation for kids.

Astro Boy
Sally the witch
Kimba the White Lion
Akazukin Chacha
Sailor moon
Doraemon
Anpanman

You should of course do some research yourself first. I definitely remember looking forward to some of these (dubbed) series when I was a kid.

You can also check out series based on manga by Clamp. They are shoujo but might be more appropriate when she enters elementary school.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-19, 04:32   Link #7
thekryz

Thank you guys and gals, I'll look into these!

Usagi Drop is PG-13, are you sure about that?

@judasmartel: Yeah, of course I'd like her to watch SELain, NGE, Haruhi, Bokurano with me when she's older

Also, I just noticed her reading the subtitles along the JapDub in Chi I'm so fucking proud

Last edited by thekryz; 2015-08-19 at 04:43.
Old 2015-08-19, 08:37   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't think Usagi Drop is appropriate for someone her age. My daughter was a couple of years older than yours when she began watching Pokemon; I thought it was fine except for the constant emphasis on battling and conflict.

We have had a number of conversations here about shows for kids. I recommend following this link: http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=children
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-19, 11:55   Link #9
Eragon
Pharmercy

Something with a good female lead. Show her Miyazaki's films.

Definitely don't show her doreamon - its shit.
Old 2015-08-19, 23:03   Link #10
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

OP, I have a question.

Are you sure you want to let her watch anime ONLY in Japanese?

I get it that original Japanese wins most of, if not all the time, but I grew up with non-JP dubs, and it was only in my late teens that I was introduced to JP dubs. As a result, I have come to appreciate both the good and bad sides of JP and non-JP dubs.

Also, while JP dubs are not always the perfect way to teach Japanese to someone (JP classes are still the best, but it's not like it's awesome, either), I like it that you are actually teaching her other languages at a young age when some people are adamant at teaching only one language to their kids.

Anyways, congratulations to you, my friend, for supporting your daughter throughout her anime journey. It's just the start of the road for her, and I'm looking forward to the day that she will become a passionate fan like most of us (not me included exactly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Something with a good female lead. Show her Miyazaki's films.

Uh, it's a 4-year-old kid right there man.

Are you sure you want to introduce your kid to the dark side of anime that early?

Sure, Doraemon sucks because it's kiddy, but it's really meant for kids.

I know I would sound like a Moral Guardian here, but are you saying 4-year-old girls should watch deeper anime as early as now with no regard to the amount of stuff inappropriate for her age (i.e. sex and violence)?
Old 2015-08-20, 02:04   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
It really doesnít help your argument when all youíre doing is just badmouthing something without proper explanation or context. Also, I smell ignorance in your comment regarding Doraemon. The franchise is a beloved kid-show worldwide for a reason.

Also, the OP asked for anime that 4yo girl can understand. Miyazaki created masterpieces, but itís too early for a 4yo to understand it. Sure, something like Totoro is possibly good for her, but other Ghibli movies? Maybe wait until she is 7yo.
Old 2015-08-20, 05:17   Link #12
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It really doesn’t help your argument when all you’re doing is just badmouthing something without proper explanation or context. Also, I smell ignorance in your comment regarding Doraemon. The franchise is a beloved kid-show worldwide for a reason.

Also, the OP asked for anime that 4yo girl can understand. Miyazaki created masterpieces, but it’s too early for a 4yo to understand it. Sure, something like Totoro is possibly good for her, but other Ghibli movies? Maybe wait until she is 7yo.
Spot on. I guess someone was either not yet born when Doraemon was in the vogue, or is just into hardcore grimdark anime with anti-hero MCs with questionable moralities.
Old 2015-08-20, 14:30   Link #13
thekryz

@judasmartel: Well, it doesn't have to be JapDub only, but it is my strong preference. Especially seeing that she picks up words and phrases. If I don't let her watch it in Japanese, I would need a better reason for showing her Anime instead of - say - Magic School Bus or anything else semi-educational or valuable. Most things she has seen until now are Disney - Aladdin, Nemo, Aristocats, Ratatouille. She actually speaks three languages pretty fluently already btw

Concerning Miyazaki, I thought of Chihiro and Totoro, I think anything else (that I have seen myself) would be too much. But I don't know that much, never have been too deep into Miyazaki. Personally, I prefer Makoto Shinkai... but certainly not yet for my 4yo daughter.

Doraemon - I've never seen any of it. I'll watch a couple of episodes and decide then.
Old 2015-08-20, 14:41   Link #14
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Non non Biyori, Spirited Away?
Old 2015-08-20, 14:48   Link #15
Haak

I just remembered Little Witch Academia. I'm sure she'd love something like that.
Old 2015-08-20, 18:41   Link #16
ibby

I would suggest the following that haven't been mentioned:

Hime-chan's Ribbon
Anne of Green Gables
The Snow Queen
3000 Leagues in search of Mother
ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-21, 00:04   Link #17
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Doraemon. I think kids in Japan started to watch them at that age also.

It made sense really. The format is a bit like Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. And there are A LOTS episodes
Old 2015-08-21, 01:48   Link #18
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania

I'm sorry, but let your daughter watch anime. are you sure not create another Konata?...
Old 2015-08-21, 04:42   Link #19
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongs View Post
I'm sorry, but let your daughter watch anime. are you sure not create another Konata?...
Why not? We need more RL Konatas to brighten up this shithole of a world.
Old 2015-08-21, 09:14   Link #20
Arya

What about Korokoro_Pollon?
I sure will let my daughter see this

About Miyazaki Totoro is the obvious choice, Chihiro is a bit for older kids if you ask me, 7/8 yo at least. I remember start watching it with my nephews,11yo and 5yo, but the younger got scared right when the night came and the restaurants started livening up, we didn't even get past the prologue
Ponyo could be another title, I just watched the first half hour or so and I personally found it a bit confusing about relations between characters and also the story didn't particularly inspired me. I was thinking to check Kiki to see if it is more fitting for kids.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children