AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2018-07-16, 22:00   Link #41
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
Isekai was there since long ago (Rayearth, El Hazard)

But the new interest was certainly SAO

It showed that webnovel can thrive

But they can't clone the VR theme so they chose real fantasy, isekai

Theoritically it should be superior to SAO which is "merely" a game

Thus isekai flooded the market

But before any of them could reach prominence, the market is already saturated
In older shows like Rayearth, Digimon & El Hazard, the characters would get sucked into
another dimension, have adventures, but eventually get back home.

Nowadays, the characters *die* and get reincarnated into a new world and never see
their old homes and (grieving?) families again.

Why so grimdark nowadays?
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-16, 23:03   Link #42
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
In older shows like Rayearth, Digimon & El Hazard, the characters would get sucked into

Nowadays, the characters *die* and get reincarnated into a new world and never see

Not grimdark

Total Escapism

Past isekai is momentary adventures that will stay as amazing memory for the MCs

Now, people just hate their lives so much that they want to escape to isekai and to never return ever again
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-16, 23:38   Link #43
Tenzen12

Quote:

I don't know exact ratio, but there were certainly lot of old school isekais without return. 12 kingdoms, Kiba, ZnT. I believe Escaflowne was one of them too, wasn't it?
Old 2018-07-17, 00:01   Link #44
dragon1412

Quote:

Not really grimdark but the same question over and over, why return ???? The question is posed to both authors and readers alike, from readers POV, most of them, if not all, actually never get the idea why the original world is so enticing, escapism is one thing like Erotora said, but another is that we never get a look at what real world can offer in those novels, most case, even in the old school Isekai, the original world part is taking a few pages at most and cannot give the reader the sense of attachments. Why isekai characters, even NPC bond with MC throughout the course of story, which is why they are far more attached to them.

From the author's view, especially young authors, have rather unflattering opinion of our world, JP society being heavily social based making it worse. Young author might also subjected to the readers view above, basically, they don't even know how the MC's families of old school Isekai even look like, much less attached to them. Another is for escapism, like i said, much less japanese, even Asia in general is heavily under social bias, so if you aren't exactly a social flower, escapism thinking is fairly normal, this came especially bad in JP society, with their terrible ethic in working and social responsibility.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-17, 00:17   Link #45
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Indeed

There's a problem that usually the MC himself is trying to return for inexplicable reasons

These MCs never mentioned about worrying about their family or anything worth mentioning or cared about Japan for that matter

So why are you trying to return?

It's not a problem if you can go back and forth between worlds, but most of the time it's one-way

If you want to return so much then give us a reason why
Old 2018-07-17, 01:28   Link #46
RDNexus

That reminds me of something I thought from time to time.
How nice it could be if people could cross worlds freely, even if for escapism, even if only spiritually.
But then, there's always the matter of bad people potentially using it for...well...bad reasons...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-17, 05:31   Link #47
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Nowadays, the characters *die* and get reincarnated into a new world and never see their old homes and (grieving?) families again.

A lot of series like Mushoku Tensei, Konosuba, etc go out of their way to show that there is no grieving family and the MC has no reason to go back. But there are a few with grieving families which is a bit sad sometimes.
Old 2018-07-17, 23:54   Link #48
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
A lot of series like Mushoku Tensei, Konosuba, etc go out of their way to show that there is no grieving family and the MC has no reason to go back. But there are a few with grieving families which is a bit sad sometimes.
Having a family that doesn't care if you die is also pretty sad in its own way.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-18, 00:01   Link #49
Lex79

Quote:

Lots of isekai now are harem, if the MC has no world to come back to he won't have to leave all the girls he's going to meet.
Lex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-18, 00:35   Link #50
Rinvelt
駄目人間

To this day I still wonder why all the otaku who are sent to isekai don't think about the fact they will never be able to finish all the series they were reading. Like, it should be the main reason they want to go back.
Rinvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-18, 03:20   Link #51
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinvelt View Post
To this day I still wonder why all the otaku who are sent to isekai don't think about the fact they will never be able to finish all the series they were reading. Like, it should be the main reason they want to go back.
Yea, is there even any MC thinks like that?
Old 2018-07-18, 03:25   Link #52
RDNexus

Maybe the authors either don't think much of it or aren't prefer to not dwell much on it.
Or even, maybe, they prefer to play it through references to other stories...?
Old 2018-07-18, 07:09   Link #53
Tenzen12

Quote:
I am pretty sure for Makoto (TsukiBro) main reason why he want home are Edo period movies. Well loving big familiy waiting for him is probably reason too. Maybe.
Old 2018-07-18, 08:08   Link #54
dragon1412

Quote:
there are actually, but that sentiments is lasting for like, 1 or 2 sentences I remember there is a lot of series that have lines such as, there was that books i'm in middle of reading, it's a shame that i won't be able to know the end, etc,.................... and it was never mentioned again
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-18, 08:35   Link #55
Tenzen12

Half of main characters has access to internet or delivery service, so it simply might not be issue...
Old 2018-07-18, 08:41   Link #56
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Most of the time MC = Author

They don't bother establishing MC as his own character but simply a projection of themselves

That's why those otakus don't miss manga etc, coz they are reading them still in Japan!
Old 2018-07-18, 08:44   Link #57
RDNexus

Not a bad "crazy theory", indeed
Old 2018-07-18, 11:01   Link #58
AnimeFangirl

All the isekai series I'm reading except SAO still haven't ended, so we never know whether the MC eventually went home or not. For those series with no death/a surviving family where the MC might want to go back, I mean.
Old 2018-07-19, 20:18   Link #59
darkofficer
just a devil

What about the isekai series from the tenchi muyo series

favorite novel: Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?
darkofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-19, 20:32   Link #60
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkofficer View Post
What about the isekai series from the tenchi muyo series
I never knew that one, but as say before the oldest isekai i recall was those who hunt elves and by dates is Battle Aura Turbine of own Kill'em all Tomino
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote