Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-11-07, 03:35   Link #481
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
There's not a single mention of Smaug in the trailer? Other than the burning of Laketown.
Well... He'll definitely be there. Has to be since he was in the teaser... and they built him up quite a bit.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 04:06   Link #482
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Well it's kinda critical that he is there since without certain events the entire movie would be "The Hobbit : Dwarves Relax in Mountain and Gandalfs Exciting Side Adventure."
Old 2014-11-07, 04:55   Link #483
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
He says that, but he also said he wouldn't do the Hobbit as well IIRC. If his studio wants him to do it, he'll most likely end up doing it. That said I think the Silmarillion is a little too big to be a series of movies. It'd be like stringing a bunch of the old Bible epics like Moses and Ben Hur together.

But there are a couple of stories that would make awesome standalone movies - but I'm stuffed if i can remember the character names. The Elf and the Human romance one? I'd like to see the Fall of Gondolin with the dragons and balrogs and so on.
I believe there was intense friction between Christopher Tolkien and him. Christopher is largely disdainful of the movies, as far as I can recall, and has been blocking more attempts to turn his father's works into movies.
Old 2014-11-07, 05:58   Link #484
Mr Hat and Clogs

I don't think I have ever heard anything positive about Christopher Tolkien.
Old 2014-11-07, 06:08   Link #485
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I don't think I have ever heard anything positive about Christopher Tolkien.
He's an oldie, but he did edit his father's papers to the best of his ability, as far as I can gather.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2014-11-07 at 06:29.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 10:01   Link #486
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, Christopher Tolkien is easily the best person to know what exactly his father was thinking when it comes to patching together JRRT's incomplete/unfinished writings (and thus the best to "fill in the blanks", though in certain cases he was forced to make guesses and ad-lib), but when it comes to family affairs and all that, he does comes off as an unpleasant, straitlaced -if not domineering- individual. He even disowned his own son, when the latter chose to give the LotR trilogy's staff some assistance, then proceeded to marginalize/neutralize him in the Tolkien trust board.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-11-07 at 15:05.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 11:47   Link #487
ToMOEto
Moe af

I just hope this one won't be as garbage.
Old 2014-11-07, 13:11   Link #488
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMOEto View Post
I just hope this one won't be as garbage.
If you're looking for a movie that isn't bloated and follows the hobbit closely.. keep hoping buddeh
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 13:30   Link #489
BPD Renegade

My expectations were not high after the last film (fuming book reader), but after that trailer, they just shot up again.

One of my biggest peeves from the first two movies (I will continue to pretend the elf-dwarf romance never happened) was the overly sympathetic portrayal of Thorin. I'm glad that it looks like we're finally going to see some conflict going on. It also helps to consider the trilogy as glorified fanfiction, separate from the actual LotR lore.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 13:34   Link #490
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

I loved both movies and like it as much as LOTR. But I know I'm alone on that.
Old 2014-11-08, 01:48   Link #491
BPD Renegade

^ Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first movie and am probably one of the few who liked it better than the second. However, having read the book first, I couldn't help but be disappointed with the gratuitous changes made with some of the characterizations and with Beorn, whose scene happened to be one of my favorites and one I had been looking forward to. Admittedly, if I hadn't read the book first, I would have liked the movies a lot more.

One thing that did annoy me in the trailer was that it looks like the elf-dwarf romance is going to be emphasized again. I have a rabid hatred for needless romance in any medium. The vomit-inducing "puppy love" was what mainly killed the second movie for me, so it's disappointing seeing that Jackson's still gunning for it.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 02:08   Link #492
Mr Hat and Clogs

It might not be his choice, since a lot of things get added to movies to appeal to different audiences to eck out that extra dollar. A hight fantasy movie with swords swinging and orcs dying might not appeal to the some, so they put the romance in to make it more palatable, thus it equates to more tickets. The downside is the movie runs the risk of being a homogenized mess.
Old 2014-11-08, 02:51   Link #493
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

What is the addage? Sex and violence sells a movie. Even if it is the slightest thing as a romance is enough (not actual sex mind you). The violence is covered quite well in the original novel.
Old 2014-11-08, 04:58   Link #494
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So I hate to ask... but since I've never read the Hobbit, just how much was changed for the movie? Obviously the elf-dwarf romance should be non-existent, and I guess even Legolas shouldn't be anywhere in here.

However, I liked the second movie because I'm going to have to agree with what was said about the first one- it had too much of Two Towers walking syndrome (seriously, at points the Hobbit: Unexpected Journey felt like it was just dragging along)... but if much of what was added isn't in the book, how dry will the book itself be?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 05:09   Link #495
Mr Hat and Clogs

The elves should have been limited to Mirkwood, and the Five Armies battle. Gandalfs Super-Side Adventure wasn't even referenced beyond "Necromancer to the North, don't go there we'll fix it later" IIRC. Radagast wasn't in it at all I think, he should have been in LOTR, right at the end. Some things have been needlessly dragged out, such as leaving the Shire, and Goblin Town in the Misty Mountains. There are lots of other little things that could have been skipped that were added, and some things from the book have been altered to play out differently enough to be noticeable, yet similar enough to be recognised. But it's been so damn long I can't remember it. Oh yeah, Smaug is wrong.
Old 2014-11-08, 10:37   Link #496
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
So I hate to ask... but since I've never read the Hobbit, just how much was changed for the movie? Obviously the elf-dwarf romance should be non-existent, and I guess even Legolas shouldn't be anywhere in here.

However, I liked the second movie because I'm going to have to agree with what was said about the first one- it had too much of Two Towers walking syndrome (seriously, at points the Hobbit: Unexpected Journey felt like it was just dragging along)... but if much of what was added isn't in the book, how dry will the book itself be?
Oh the book isn't dry at all, it's quite a romp of good fun, and is fast paced. If anything the Lord of the Rings is much drier, much darker; there is a real sense of dread and hopelessness in large swathes of the lord of the rings, along with a lot of superfluous content. It's also quite a humorless book, as opposed to the hobbit, which feels like the ye old childrens book adventure . The thing about the hobbit is, it's only about 300 pages long, ~430 or so with the appendices. They've made 10 hours of movie with 300 pages, so there is obviously a lot of nonsense in the movies
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 10:48   Link #497
Mr Hat and Clogs

Yeah, it should have been one movie really, even if the Necromancer side story is a little interesting. The Hobbit is a children's story, he wrote it to read to his grand kids... Or he wrote it after telling it to his grand kids, one or the other.
Old 2014-11-08, 11:56   Link #498
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Expectations might have been big since it's coming from the guy who directed the LOTR trilogy. Hence, the trilogy it became in the movies. Plus, money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
^ Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first movie and am probably one of the few who liked it better than the second. However, having read the book first, I couldn't help but be disappointed with the gratuitous changes made with some of the characterizations and with Beorn, whose scene happened to be one of my favorites and one I had been looking forward to. Admittedly, if I hadn't read the book first, I would have liked the movies a lot more.

One thing that did annoy me in the trailer was that it looks like the elf-dwarf romance is going to be emphasized again. I have a rabid hatred for needless romance in any medium. The vomit-inducing "puppy love" was what mainly killed the second movie for me, so it's disappointing seeing that Jackson's still gunning for it.
I know what you mean. Admittedly, I would be too if I didn't just put aside that the Jackson-verse is different from the books. To be fair to him, he said himself he wasn't at his best for the last two movies and is confident of this one.

I'm not a fan either. Everytime I see a trailer, I'm expecting that inevitable "passionate kiss" for one and roll my eyes. Since it's never good nor does it fit unless it's romance genre.
Old 2014-11-08, 14:01   Link #499
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Thing is, it's often the studios/production companies that demand that subplots such as character romance and/or humorous scenes be inserted into the movies so as to broaden the audience's demographic range and maximize the revenue potential. Those companies are quite wary of movies targeting a certain niche only and thus prefer them to be more family/common man-friendly, even if it means watering down the content or sugarcoating it.

If my memory serves me well, Guillermo del Toro (of Pan's Labyrinth and Pacific Rim fame; briefly attached to the production of the first Hobbit movie) had trouble convincing studios (Warner Bros and 20th Century Fox) to finance his At the Mountains of Madness film project because it was too dark, too niche-y and he was quite reluctant to include, at the studios' request, a romantic thread and a happy ending (which, obviously, does not play well with the Lovecraftian worldview). Eventually, the entire thing fell by the wayside.

There's a price to success when it comes to certain movies. Lots of concessions and compromises.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-11-08 at 14:22.
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 15:23   Link #500
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post

Hard to say since some of the material that Jackson took and added in is from other "canon" books outside of the Hobbit. Like the meeting up between Thorin and Gandalf in Bree that started the whole quest.

Other things could be absolutely inferred and seen as quite reasonable even if not spelled out in the books, like Legolas (being the Prince of the Wood Elves and all that) being around in the episode when the dwarves were captured in Mirkwood. Perhaps even the lengthy, dramatic escape from Goblin Town or the Stone Giant sequence to a degree (the Great Goblin was killed dead by Gandalf when he appeared to save the dwarves once Orcrist was found, not later on - but still, no damage done by having him slain later on in the escape in my opinion).

But yeah - there are lots of extra things added that are not in the source material, which I will wrap in spoiler tags just in case.

Spoiler for just in case:

Tags
movie