AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-03, 17:16   Link #1521
RDNexus

People seem to be forgetting the more recent arts from the mangaka, meaning the full-body arts made as a promotion of the live-action and the arts of the Gen2 Manga Covers.
Those were the kind of arts I was hoping to see translated into this new Anime as they still are inside the mangaka's art-style (the more modern one) and the girls seem more like their real age (14)...
Personally, I don't dig this style much (the new Anime's), too shoujo-like for me. Yes, I grew up with the Original Series' art-style but even that one, for nowadays, would pan hard, it just doesn't go well for nowadays' animation.
That fanart that literally fooled the world, that art-style is the closest I was hoping (other than the mangaka's modern art-style) to see in this new Anime... I'm really disappointed...
Old 2014-05-03, 23:12   Link #1522
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
But I find myself looking at these and thinking somewhere in between the look of the adults and generation xerox would have been totally fine as a design for this new show.
(I am talking looks-wise only, not the "plot" behind this, which is irrelevant)
Oh damn, that looks almost perfect! It modernizes the art style to be appealing to both adults and kids today without completely disregarding the 90's style proportions.
Old 2014-05-04, 09:18   Link #1523
GDB

Why does Venus look to be about 4-5 years younger than everyone else in that fan art?
Old 2014-05-04, 11:57   Link #1524
RDNexus

Those girls were supposed to be the original Sailor Senshi's daughters, Venus' daughter is the youngest of them, only 10.
Old 2014-05-04, 20:11   Link #1525
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
How did I never actually read that article!? I'd seen the fanart but never read the article.

Wow, that would be AWESOME! I kinda don't like that Minako is a divorced actress and (reading between the lines) maybe not that great of a mom, but... I'd take the not-so-good to get all of the rest of it, even if the not-so-good were to include something about my favorite character.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2014-05-04, 21:56   Link #1526
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Interesting that Minako was the last one to have kids (unless she has older kids that is).
Old 2014-05-04, 22:18   Link #1527
GDB

I've never been a fan of children looking 100% the same as their parent in anime. It just comes off as lazy. It's one thing if that's kind of their "thing", like a defining aspect of their character is supposed to be "you remind me of your <insert parent here>", like Goten from DBZ. But using that same example, Gohan and Trunks are much more interesting since them looking just like a parent isn't a character trait.
Old 2014-05-04, 23:25   Link #1528
Miraluka
Banned

Indeed, it's cheap, lacks creativity.
Old 2014-05-04, 23:40   Link #1529
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
Indeed, it's cheap, lacks creativity.
What's funny about the whole thing is that there was actually an alternate universe side story about the same thing, it was called Parrallel Moon. However, its obvious that it was just Naoko messing around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
But I find myself looking at these and thinking somewhere in between the look of the adults and generation xerox would have been totally fine as a design for this new show.
(I am talking looks-wise only, not the "plot" behind this, which is irrelevant)

But what we got is... Well.. They kind of, sort of borrowed some elements from the manga this time, but it's neither this nor that.
I actually hate those designs, they are too much like the previous anime style. What a lot of people don't get is that Toei was in fact being lazy with their previous designs. Seriously comparing Naoko's notes to the actual designs of the first anime makes the first anime come out to look lack luster. There's also the fact that despite the amount of stink that people are throwing about the designs, may quickly forget that the first anime didn't look like its promotional art most of the time either.

Also having seen quite a few Sailor Moon adaptations, and they tend to take their cues from the manga, not the anime. The reason for this is simple, the first Sailor Moon anime is in fact an adaption, not an original work, and one whose designs and story progression bared very little resemblance to the original work outside of some cosmetic similarities. So no, the Sailor Moon Crystal designers have zero reason to make any attempt to resemble the first adaption, when one the first adaptation don't really resemble the original work anyway, and two they have stated from day one that Sailor Moon Crystal would is not going to be a retelling of the first adaptation. You can claim that they need to stroke your nostalgia, but to make the 90s Sailor Moon fans watch it, but then again by making the designs resemble the original manga more, that's exactly what they're doing. In Japan the Sailor Moon manga is what started it all, especially the manga aka the original work, isn't out of print over there, or even worldwide for that matter and still enjoys its popularity, more so than the anime which is out of print in many countries, and hasn't aired on tv in years.

Also take very good look at the official website, the manga has been given precedence over everything else. There isn't even a screenshot of the character designs from the 90 anime, the reason why, because Sailor Moon Crystal was meant to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of the manga, NOT the anime. Hence why it makes more sense for it to resemble the manga than the first adaptation, because this really a remake but rather a different adaptation.
Old 2014-05-04, 23:54   Link #1530
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Also considering the future was suppose to be a teenage looking Chibiusa and the four Asteroid Scout (Vesta, Juno, Ceres, and Pallas) as the new main grouping around Chibiusa as the new (pink) Sailor Moon.
Old 2014-05-05, 03:25   Link #1531
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
I actually hate those designs, they are too much like the previous anime style. What a lot of people don't get is that Toei was in fact being lazy with their previous designs. Seriously comparing Naoko's notes to the actual designs of the first anime makes the first anime come out to look lack luster. There's also the fact that despite the amount of stink that people are throwing about the designs, may quickly forget that the first anime didn't look like its promotional art most of the time either.

Also having seen quite a few Sailor Moon adaptations, and they tend to take their cues from the manga, not the anime. The reason for this is simple, the first Sailor Moon anime is in fact an adaption, not an original work, and one whose designs and story progression bared very little resemblance to the original work outside of some cosmetic similarities. So no, the Sailor Moon Crystal designers have zero reason to make any attempt to resemble the first adaption, when one the first adaptation don't really resemble the original work anyway, and two they have stated from day one that Sailor Moon Crystal would is not going to be a retelling of the first adaptation. You can claim that they need to stroke your nostalgia, but to make the 90s Sailor Moon fans watch it, but then again by making the designs resemble the original manga more, that's exactly what they're doing. In Japan the Sailor Moon manga is what started it all, especially the manga aka the original work, isn't out of print over there, or even worldwide for that matter and still enjoys its popularity, more so than the anime which is out of print in many countries, and hasn't aired on tv in years.

Also take very good look at the official website, the manga has been given precedence over everything else. There isn't even a screenshot of the character designs from the 90 anime, the reason why, because Sailor Moon Crystal was meant to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of the manga, NOT the anime. Hence why it makes more sense for it to resemble the manga than the first adaptation, because this really a remake but rather a different adaptation.
In my case, it's not a question of picking the 90's Anime art-style, that sure was lazyass work in all fields.
It's more a question that the art-style they're adapting is way outdated, with the mangaka's recent designs looking way much better that those...
At least, to me...
Old 2014-05-05, 03:41   Link #1532
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
In my case, it's not a question of picking the 90's Anime art-style, that sure was lazyass work in all fields.
It's more a question that the art-style they're adapting is way outdated, with the mangaka's recent designs looking way much better that those...
At least, to me...
This.
I think I've been very clear that my dislike for the new designs has nothing to do with them supposedly resembling the manga more (they don't, imo- vaguely, yes, but the manga art looks gorgeous. These look rubbish), but with how low-quality, anatomically baffling, awkward and outdated they look. Bobbleheads and broken legs are not what I expected when they promised something closer to the manga, no.
Compared to that, the fan art in question is preferable- I myself didn't like it when it was first released, thinking well, that doesn't look like the manga. But compared to what we got, it's quality is far superior.
The designs for Crystal look cheap to me. As in low-quality fan art from 10 years ago cheap.
If I was in their shoes and my designers put a promo image like that on my desk, they'd get a good telling to.
But I've also said many times that I hope it will look better in motion and these were an early stage fluke. They won't actually look like broken 90s dolls in the anime.

(Btw, I'm no fan of generation xerox, neither would I want the accompanying plot, I'm talking rely about the design)
Old 2014-05-05, 07:39   Link #1533
wisteria233

Its Toei, they're known for their pretty low quality promotional art. Also Heartcatch Pretty Cure would like to have a word with you. It came out in 2010 and its style was very retro, and yet when you mix the animation style with the backgrounds it looked just fine.

Also Naoko never redrew the series, so her older art style is actually recognizable for the Sailor Moon franchise, just take a gander at the covers for the 20th anniversary special, or again just the website if you want proof of that.

Also I already showed a side by side comparison of the manga and the Sailor Moon Crystal designs, they actually are pretty similar, not exact, but similar.
Old 2014-05-05, 07:56   Link #1534
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The reason why I brought up the character designs of the first two seasons of the 90s anime wasn't to say "This is exactly what the new anime show should look like."

Rather, it was frankly to say "Great Galaxia, their new designs actually look significantly worse than what the Sailor Moon anime had two decades ago."

The technologies and tools available to animators have progressed tremendously over the past 20 years. There is no excuse for coming out with designs more critically flawed than what we had back in the 90s anime. Whatever someone might say about the 90s anime designs, at least they didn't make me think that a strong gust of wind is all it would take to make the Sailor Scouts fall over like trees being cut down.
Old 2014-05-05, 09:33   Link #1535
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The technologies and tools available to animators have progressed tremendously over the past 20 years. There is no excuse for coming out with designs more critically flawed than what we had back in the 90s anime. Whatever someone might say about the 90s anime designs, at least they didn't make me think that a strong gust of wind is all it would take to make the Sailor Scouts fall over like trees being cut down.
Mhh. there might be a reason tho. Seems to me Toei is making Crystals against their will. I would not be surprised if we learn ten years from now that Naoko said that if Toei did not produce the reboot they should release the license so another studio could give it a try. Toei is not interested in making SM a hit again since they already have precure, same thing would have happened with DBZ kai if they had managed to make a clone (but GT showed they just can't). So under the pretense that this are more true to the manga they release these creepy character designs, they expect fans all over the world to barf synchronously when this is finally release the series in nico. Medetashi, medetashi.

Off course this is a conspiracy theory, but if I am totally wrong, wouldn't it be sad that they messed this much for no reason at all?
Old 2014-05-05, 10:20   Link #1536
Triple_R
*Author

While I obviously have my issue with the 2014 designs, I don't think those designs are so bad as to be an intentional attempt to destroy the Sailor Moon IP. I just think they're a case of taking a particular style and design philosophy a step or two too far. It's an easy enough mistake to make if you don't try for a more balanced approach.

SkullFaerie brought up Frozen before, and she's right - You can clearly see how it's meant to appeal to both younger generations (the mere fact it's 3D CGI) and older generations (facial designs and body proportions much more in line with the Little Mermaid/Beauty and the Beast era).

Another example would be Superman in Man of Steel - While the design is considerably different from the Reeve look, and is aiming to appeal to a younger generation, you still have elements intended to appeal to the traditionalists (the glorious majestic red cape, the big red V-shaped boots, the large S-crest). When it comes to Superman, I'm a traditionalist. I didn't like the darker look of the outfit, and I wish they had come up with a better way to break up that blue (I would have been fine with keeping the red trunks). But the cape, boots, and S-crest make up for the weaknesses for me. It's still a Superman design I can get behind.

With this Sailor Moon 2014 design, I don't see the same balancing going on. The same attempt to appeal to different sections of the established (and/or potential) audience.
Old 2014-05-05, 13:15   Link #1537
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

^ So basically are saying "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.". Personally I do not think the average Japanese is stupid, but I could be wrong.
Old 2014-05-05, 13:57   Link #1538
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Another example would be Superman in Man of Steel - While the design is considerably different from the Reeve look, and is aiming to appeal to a younger generation, you still have elements intended to appeal to the traditionalists (the glorious majestic red cape, the big red V-shaped boots, the large S-crest). When it comes to Superman, I'm a traditionalist.
You realize that the "Man of Steel" outfit deleted something from the original design, that being the "red briefs worn on the outside"? That something has been the focus of mockery for a long time, Superman (and similarly-outfitted characters from "the Golden Age" of comics) being derided as a character who has "worn his underpants on the outside for decades."

Of course, the SM cast has been been using a similar "female characters wearing vaguely ridiculous outfits doing heroic things" aesthetic for a while now, and now we're so used to it no one bats an eyelid at it.
Old 2014-05-05, 14:51   Link #1539
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Of course, the SM cast has been been using a similar "female characters wearing vaguely ridiculous outfits doing heroic things" aesthetic for a while now, and now we're so used to it no one bats an eyelid at it.
It is not that we have gotten used to seeing the sailor scout outfits, it is all about contrast. Since the only moment they use their sailor scouts outfits is when they are fighting youkai and human looking adversaries that use even more outlandish costumes, they look normal (hint. they never receive the keys to the city, nor are part of any charity event, etc.).

On the other hand most of the time superman was surrounded by normal people wearing normal clothing, so there was a high contrast between the two. remove the red briefs and make the costume dark as to seem a suit an voila, there is less contrast and it seems more normal.
Old 2014-05-05, 15:21   Link #1540
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
You realize that the "Man of Steel" outfit deleted something from the original design, that being the "red briefs worn on the outside"? That something has been the the focus of mockery for a long time, Superman being derided as a character who has "worn his underpants on the outside for decades."
This is what I briefly alluded to with the "(I would have been fine with keeping the red trunks)" bit. I just used the term "trunks" instead of "briefs".

Getting rid of the red briefs was almost certainly done to appeal to younger generations (older generations were use to them). What I'm saying is that they compensated for that by giving the traditionalists what we wanted in other areas (the cape, boots, and s-crest). I mean, capes have also been derided by some people, but they not only stuck with the cape, they made it large and impressive.

On the whole, it was a balanced approach, unlike what I'm seeing with the new 2014 Sailor Moon designs.

Tags
remake, shoujo