AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-01-11, 02:50   Link #1
onepiecelover

Fire Emblem

Ok I searched the forum but found no topic for this, does anyone hear play fire emblem, one of the best turn based stratergy game ever made
onepiecelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 11:05   Link #2
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

I have Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, but I've only played a little of it. I hear electric noise in the background when I use my ear plugs. I've been waiting for months for a replacement battery, as I've determined that it's likely the issue (because pressure on the back of the GBA changes the noise).
Old 2007-01-11, 16:29   Link #3
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I love fire emblem, it is one of my favorite game of all time. I love the story, characters and the game play. I would get Wii just for the fire emblem.
Old 2007-01-11, 18:30   Link #4
Fafnir
I believe I can fly!

Meh... SRT and Yggdra Union are much better...

FE is pretty good though.
Fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 22:10   Link #5
Ansa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
Meh... SRT and Yggdra Union are much better...

FE is pretty good though.
Yggdra was seriously lacking and SRT has always been good but FE is a pure classic and continues to re innovate the series with each new game, unlike SRT...
Ansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 22:58   Link #6
EnigmaticThief
Schach is MAI WAIFU

Send a message via AIM to EnigmaticThief Send a message via Yahoo to EnigmaticThief
I liked Rekka no Ken better than Seima no Kouseki (Sacred Stones,) mainly because you had to do a lot more planning on the fly. In Sacred Stones you could just go to a map and level-up, but RnK you had to actively figure out who you wanted to develop and deploy them accordingly, keeping in mind your equipment and finances the whole time.
EnigmaticThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 02:36   Link #7
luckyovermind
hungry~

FE is a good series, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War is one of my all time favourite game! Nothing beats the twelve holy weapons XD
Old 2007-01-12, 06:38   Link #8
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
Yggdra was seriously lacking and SRT has always been good but FE is a pure classic and continues to re innovate the series with each new game, unlike SRT...
You are joking aren't you? The last two FE's were jokes in difficulty, strategy and 'innovation.' The new FE's are by far the most conservative and simple of the S-RPG's.

FE8 did nothing more than copy FEG except making it more broken in the process and made the game a complete joke in difficulty. It was too short as well, obviously a filler game made to compensate for FE9's delay.

FE9 added shoving which was just badly implemented to say the least and the skill system was nothing more than nerfed revamp of FE5's system. FE9 on a whole just felt rushed, graphically, gameplay wise and storywise. Money may as well have not existed since you got such a ridiculous ammount and 'custom' weapons were useless. I'm also annoyed in general they felt the need to remove an entire mode of FE9 from the localization, the one I played the most. Oh yes and FE9 has the worst replayability of any of the FE's to date.

Thracia 776 still easily holds the title as the best FE game as far I'm concerned. It got everything right, well difficulty was a little extreme but there was an easy mode as optional. FE's 'innovation' died once Shouzo Kaga left IS after Thracia 776. If you an actual good example of how FE should be done go play Berwick Saga.

SRT has been innovating leaps and bounds more than FE in graphics and gameplay with the last few games. OGs alone looks to be a massive testament to that.

Yggdra Union brought a hell lot more 'new' to S-RPG's in general with its style of gameplay and the story was alot more intense.

FE is a good game in its own right but to hail it as the king of S-RPG's and completely disregard SRT or the others is like saying FF is the greatest RPG series ever.

Last edited by Sety; 2007-01-12 at 06:53.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 08:47   Link #9
x_Kotori_x
*Vice Captain Yuki*

I havn't played it,but I was at a gaming store last weekend and I saw it. I almost bought it,but I didn't. I wish I had too...I heard it was pretty good :/
x_Kotori_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 03:21   Link #10
Overflow
Spear the Gungnir

Fire emblem ranks #1 on my strategy RPG list. I've played all of the fire emblem series and FE9 is my favourite. The only downfalls i saw are no heroes (darn.) and swordmasters have been greatly downgraded (not really a downfall.. it makes the game harder and = more fun). I dunno.. that's just my opinion. Or was my favourite FE7? eh nvm..
Old 2007-01-13, 14:42   Link #11
Fafnir
I believe I can fly!

With Yggdra you actually have to think, both in combat and on the field. With FE... you send your strong units in and let them kill everything. If you do that in YU, that character will die so very quickly. Yggdra innovated, and surely wasn't lacking. In fact, it may have even had too much! Yggdra is easily the best SRPG on the GBA.

SRT is leaps and bounds above FE. It innovates graphically with enhanced animations(unlike FE which reuses every animation, SRT does new animations every game), sound, story, etc., and new game mechanics. Chain attacks, support, massive weapon selection, customizability, all go to show that SRT is superior. In fact, I can't think of a single way that FE can beat out SRT.

Compared to other games, FE just gets worse as it goes along. It doesn't introduce much new(in fact, in FE9, they took out almost all the stuff that was introduced in FE8, good and bad), and they reuse too much stuff. In the end, FE is pretty awful when compared to better games like Yggdra Union or SRT(although by no means is FE bad).
Fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 22:18   Link #12
luckyovermind
hungry~

Hmm, why is everyone restricting their discussion on the GBA FE games? I prefer the fc and sfc games, especially the sfc generation. Those were the days That being said, I still like the sword of fire.

So what if Shouzo Kaga is gone? We still have TRS and BWS don't we

I have no idea about the Yggdra union. But about SRT, I have to say I don't really like robots. I think the only robot related turn based strategy game that really caught my eye was front mission 1.
Old 2007-01-14, 05:57   Link #13
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyovermind View Post
Hmm, why is everyone restricting their discussion on the GBA FE games? I prefer the fc and sfc games, especially the sfc generation. Those were the days That being said, I still like the sword of fire.
I did mention Thracia 776 didn't I? n_n

FE5 was the greatest game ever and FE6 was probably the last of the FE games with any resemblence of real balance. It does annoy me that just about every FE as of late tries to implement ideas from FE5 but somehow manages to have less than it.

Quote:
Yggdra is easily the best SRPG on the GBA.
I wouldn't go that far. SRT: Original Generation 2 can at least give it some kind of competition.

Quote:
I have no idea about the Yggdra union. But about SRT, I have to say I don't really like robots. I think the only robot related turn based strategy game that really caught my eye was front mission 1.
Guess thats always a problem, alot of people seem to have some inherent dislike of mecha/robots/tech for no real apparent reason.

Quote:
So what if Shouzo Kaga is gone? We still have TRS and BWS don't we
Well Tearing Saga I didn't like too much, it wasn't very good to be honest. But Berwick Saga once you get past the horrible graphics was pretty awesome as a game.
Old 2007-01-14, 06:28   Link #14
luckyovermind
hungry~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
I did mention Thracia 776 didn't I? n_n
Yes, but it seems that we are the minority here

I still prefer the good old FE4. Sure it was not perfect, but I couldn't help but love the first half of the story. (Maybe Thracia 776 fits better as the second half? ) And the marriage system is good stuff, I was obsessed with the holy blood lines at that time. n_n
Old 2007-01-14, 07:31   Link #15
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

FE4 wasn't by no means great but it had some really nice ideas in it and the story was amazingly developed and pretty dark to boot.

FE5 just made it better by filling in the 7 year gap between 1st gen and 2nd gen. Alvis just had one of the coolest backstories ever, though you only found out some of it in Thracia 776 and the rest was in the special articles in the FE4 Treasure.
Old 2007-01-14, 07:32   Link #16
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmm, why is everyone restricting their discussion on the GBA FE games?
Maybe because those and the GameCube Fire Emblem are the only ones released in English?
Old 2007-01-15, 20:32   Link #17
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Fire Emblem 3: Was the longest and although graphically challenged had a lot of secrets and an interesting system involving the gems set within the Fire Emblem granting special abilities to the characters.

Fire Emblem 4: was my favourite with its emphasis on army to army combat and outdoor maps. Plus I love the story and characters so much I've played it 5 times over, more than any other strategy game in history.

Fire Emblem 5: Hard as hell, but satisfying when its over with. Anyone who has played this knows the name Cyras and the terror his mere presence on the battlefield spells for your army.

Fire Emblem 6: I felt this was a step back in some cases and boy does Roy suck as a leader. Still the length and the fact it was the only SRPG on the GBA for a good long while made up for its shortcomings somewhat.

Fire Emblem 7: 2nd favourite in the series with the 3 lead characters that strike a balance between Speed (Lyndis) Power (Hector) and Defene (Eliwood) and an excellent storyline and some of the best music on the GBA. I sometimes listen to The Legend of Atos theme when I'm bored or upset and need something to lighten the mood. Knowing how to use your main characters is key in this game.

Fire Emblem 8: A huge letdown with its short length and laughable difficulty. I'm pretty sure I could have steamrolled the whole game with just Ephraim at one point and the last boss went down so quick I thought it was only a prelude to a second form like Ashnard.

Fire Emblem 9: Still not done it yet but its been very fun, introducing some new systems like the Custom weapons system and Bonus Experience among others and bringing back the long lost skill system that made 4 and 5 so much fun. Though it could be a little more difficult as the Laguz Lethe and Mordy are somewhat broken.

Fire Emblem 2/Gaiden: Man this one is easy with its ability to let you power level anywhere. It barely feels like a Fire Emblem game to be honest. I guess that's why they call it Gaiden.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-17, 01:10   Link #18
MidnighT-WolF

I love the serie even if i didn't play the old ones!

In Fire Emblem (the 1st one that came in America), i had to play the entire game twice since in my first attempt (first time i played a Fire Emblem), my chars were way too weak to beat the last Chapter (just the bosses before Nergal were crushing me), so i started over and max lvled all my Lords and almost all my chars, and this time I totally crushed Nergal and his pals .... Lvl 20/20 chars are just too powerful haha!

After that i tried the sequel (the one with Roy from Smash Bros. Melee, the son of Eliwood) and i did the same thing, but i think this one wasn't as good as the first one (anyway it came out before the prequel as i know, so a lot of functions/details were missing), I just beated the hell outta Zephiel...

Then came The Sacred Stones that i LOVED, all the good things that were missing in the other games were finally there, so i really loved this game and i was finally able to say that i'm addicted to the Fire Emblem serie!

The next one to come will be Path Of Radiance on Gamecube that I didn't have the chance yet to play since i didn't have a Gamecube, but now that i got a Wii, I'll use the retrocompatibility and a friend of mine lent me his Path Of Radiance copy, yay!

I also saw with that same friend the OVAs (the only 2 episodes existing ever) of Fire Emblem with Marth (Mars lol) since he has them on VHS, too bad they didn't make more episodes, it's so good...

Oh and another Fire Emblem will be coming on Wii, can't wait for it!
MidnighT-WolF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-20, 18:21   Link #19
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnighT-WolF View Post
I also saw with that same friend the OVAs (the only 2 episodes existing ever) of Fire Emblem with Marth (Mars lol) since he has them on VHS, too bad they didn't make more episodes, it's so good...
If your interested there is a Fire Emblem manga currently under scanlation.

http://www.manganews.net/seriesinfo.php?id=1175

Quote:
Fire Emblem 5: Hard as hell, but satisfying when its over with. Anyone who has played this knows the name Cyras and the terror his mere presence on the battlefield spells for your army.
Cyrus....many a week of fun (torture) I had trying to get past him. He is forever cemented in my mind as one of the greatest bosses.
Old 2007-01-25, 01:13   Link #20
Valcion
Graviton Wave

SRT: OG2's a very good game, graphically, gameplay, and storyline wise.

Yggdra Union's good, but the difficulty might be a tad too high. Gulcasa will most likely make any newbie weep in their sleep. I still have quite a bit of trouble with him...so horribly broken
Valcion is offline   Reply With Quote