AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-24, 16:26   Link #1
renegadeviking

SCI-FI anime that scored an 8.0+

I like SCI-FI anime the best, because I know i make it thru Cowboy Bebop, Eureka Seven, Neon Genesis, Macross Plus, Code Geass R1/R2, Full Metal Panic, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Ghost in the shell/2nd Gig, RahXephon , Noein: To Your Other Self and Vision of Escaflowne. Those are the ones I own right now.

These new series should be released in the 2000s, because i have problems with 1990s animation quality. get one with Rave reviews.
Old 2011-01-24, 16:49   Link #2
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

PlanetES and Macross Frontier are my top ranked SF series. PlanetES for it's attempt at a realistic near future, and Frontier for being the perfect amalgamation of the best from each previous Macross series.
Old 2011-01-24, 17:07   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Xam'd might be good for you. It's BONES, looks great, and has some of the same great and not-so-great characteristics as Eureka Seven.
Old 2011-01-24, 17:34   Link #4
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Elfen Lied...depends on what aspect of Sci-fi you're after though
Reading: None at the moment
Old 2011-01-24, 19:38   Link #5
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl....minweight=100
Here you go, over a 100 sci-fi titles, filtered by score.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
PlanetES and Macross Frontier
I second Planetes but Frotier is naive as heck so it is way more magic wackiness than hard sci-fi at work here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Xam'd
Too bad its pacing is dreadful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Elfen Lied...depends on what aspect of Sci-fi you're after though
If he likes harem and stupid characters along with few specs of pseudo-science, then sure.
Old 2011-01-24, 23:21   Link #6
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
I second Planetes but Frotier is naive as heck so it is way more magic wackiness than hard sci-fi at work here.
And any other Macross series are better? All of them are about magical music that makes killer aliens happy fluffy bunnies. Frontier just combines the music of Plus with the animation of Zero and the proper love triangle of the original. With some more obscure 7 references.
Old 2011-01-25, 00:13   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Crest of the Stars

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-01-25, 01:21   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Dennou Coil is a spectacular anime sci-fi series, perhaps even better than Noein or Planetes for me, and that's saying a lot.

Oh! Edo Rocket - A sci-fi show set in 1843 Edo with aliens and blogging. One of my favorites of all time.

Summer Wars - The physical world is threatened when a dangerous avatar runs amuck in an MMORPG. Comedy, romance, and sci-fi in an excellent two-hour movie. It's about to be released by Funimation on DVD/BD and is showing in limited release throughout the US into the spring.

Moyashimon might be considered sci-fi, since it's about a college freshman who can see microbes. It falls into the "college hijinks" genre, though you'll also learn about brewing sake, see some extremely cute microbes, and admire some hot women as well.

These probably get sevens:

Ergo Proxy - Great production values and some intriguing characters. I enjoyed it but thought it a bit pretentious.

Real Drive - Beautifully made, with some excellent episodes. Still it didn't really grab me, though others here liked it.
Old 2011-01-25, 07:31   Link #9
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I second Dennou Coil, Summer Wars and Planetes.

I also recommend Time of Eve. It's kinda like I, Robot (the book) but it all takes place in a cafe.
Old 2011-01-25, 08:04   Link #10
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I also recommend Time of Eve. It's kinda like I, Robot (the book) but it all takes place in a cafe.
Time of Eve is based around the three laws of robotics, and I, Robot is loosely based off the book with the same name. Both are works by the legendary Isaac Asimov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeviking View Post
These new series should be released in the 2000s, because i have problems with 1990s animation quality. get one with Rave reviews.
Would you not at least give some of the old shows a chance? There's a hand full of good Sci-fi shows from the last 10 years (Time of Eve especially), though if you want to experience the best the genre has to offer, then it would be from the 80s and 90s.
Old 2011-01-25, 11:54   Link #11
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
And any other Macross series are better? All of them are about magical music that makes killer aliens happy fluffy bunnies. Frontier just combines the music of Plus with the animation of Zero and the proper love triangle of the original. With some more obscure 7 references.
Nope, they are all the same fluff. Some more than less. I liked the original for the time it came out but Frontier felt pathetic in modern times.
Old 2011-03-15, 04:56   Link #12
renegadeviking

Crest of the Stars was that good? Isn't Crest of the Stars really average? Would I buy Banner of the Stars I and II to get the flavor of the whole story where it should make sense?

Would Crest of the Stars be a 6 out of 10 or a 8 out of 10?

Nobody mentioned Toward the Terra! That's another one.
Old 2011-03-15, 20:07   Link #13
mecharobot

Terra e is certainly amazing. Enjoy the ride.

And if you really say that you're into scifi anime, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't check out Crest/Banner series or pre 00 shows. You must watch Crest of the Stars prior to Banner of the Stars. It won't make sense otherwise. It's one of the top pure scifi shows for sure, especially the middle part with its unmatched shipboard action. It gets pretty intense.

I don't know what score basis you're using so it's impossible for me to evaluate what the series is worth. And you might want to specify just what you mean by scifi.
Old 2011-03-16, 11:03   Link #14
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeviking View Post
Crest of the Stars was that good? Isn't Crest of the Stars really average? Would I buy Banner of the Stars I and II to get the flavor of the whole story where it should make sense?

Would Crest of the Stars be a 6 out of 10 or a 8 out of 10?

Nobody mentioned Toward the Terra! That's another one.
Yes, Crest of the Stars is one of the better Sci-Fi series.

Terrific world building, good character development, good tight plot. I give it 10 out of 10. It's the start of the series and stops at a reasonable place in the story, so you don't need to get the Banner series if you don't want to.

Banner I has amazing space battles (although some people dislike them because they are too realistic- mainly massive missile barrages instead of cool laser beams). The rest of the story lagged though, I'd give it 7 or 6 out of 10.

Banner II has a good story and character development, but it just lacks the oomph of the first anime, I'd give it 8 out of 10.

Banner III has a really good plot, but too much to cram into one OVA. Probably rank it around 7. Not much Sci-Fi in this one though, the best stuff is all on the character development side.

I have heard people complain that the dub is terrible, but I never know if that's just the dub haters hating, or if it's actually true.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-03-16, 11:51   Link #15
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think Infinite Ryvius was quite good as well. Lots of character-related stuff but it's clearly sci-fi all the way.
Old 2011-03-16, 15:47   Link #16
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A lot of the good sci-fi is rather old actually (70s and 80s). It isn't in style at present so we don't get a lot of it anymore.