AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-25, 17:39   Link #81
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
She's still the funniest character I found. And she also has a less strictly moe antics side to her character. I would say that Tsukasa fills the straight up moe factor pretty much all the time followed by Konata, then Miyuki and then Kagami.

Konata I had mixed feelings about because of her tendency to be used a mouthpiece for certain real life products. Tsukasa was just sort of too ditzy for me to really grow attached to to any degree. Kagami was alright I think if exploited to much for the tsundere gag, but Miyuki had that sort of smarter then she looks, but ultimately clutzy character thing going that just ended in me getting more laughs out of her in the series early stretches then any other character. I noticed I tended to like and laugh at the series less the less screentime she got and the more Konata centric the series became. They just sort of overused Konata way to much in the latter episodes and marginalized a significant portion of the cast. I mean there's only so much interest I can take in a character that lives to buy Kadokawa Shoten merchandise and manifests as a glorified version of the Otaku's ideal girlfriend. Miyuki may not be deep, but I found her the least shallow and archetypal of the main group when I looked at her from a different perspective then what Konata pointed out.
If everyone else saw things in your perspective, then there probably would've been more Miyuki scenes.

I don't see how you found Miyuki to be less shallow than others. Miyuki didn't get the amount of screentime that others got, especially the extended scenes in the latter episodes about their families' lives etc.
Old 2008-06-25, 18:22   Link #82
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
I've finally got around to taking a picture of this article on the OVA in the latest Animedia.
Old 2008-06-26, 00:38   Link #83
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembr View Post
If everyone else saw things in your perspective, then there probably would've been more Miyuki scenes.

I don't see how you found Miyuki to be less shallow than others. Miyuki didn't get the amount of screentime that others got, especially the extended scenes in the latter episodes about their families' lives etc.
Which is strange because she was shown to have a perfectly nice family they could have explored. Oh well, what's done is done.

And I meant less shallow in terms of overall personality, not character development. In looking at the main group I found that Konata was basically mostly about material interests. Tsukasa was basically a moeblob with no real backbone or purpose to act as other then a foil for Konata and Kagami....well Kagami was okay I think and I appreciated her displays of sisterly love and her often being the most rational of the group. Though like any of them she knew how to have a good time when it counted. Miyuki just clicked with me on some level I can't explain though, she was a friendly sort, she had common sense, she was talented, but humble, a bit klutzy........She kind of reminds me of the type of character Rick Moranis used to play.
Old 2008-06-26, 00:47   Link #84
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, here's what the manga has to say about the Hiragi twins and Miyuki, in one sentence (my rough translation from my Chinese copy):

Tsukasa: A klutzy girl who lives life according to her speed (按照自己步调生活的糊涂少女)

Kagami: the normal person who never stops worrying (从不间断劳心的正常人)

Miyuki: The one who supports everyone in the dark (暗中支撑着大家的人)

Tsukasa may not be smart, but her simple mind is probably what most of us need after a tense day at work.
Old 2008-06-27, 05:28   Link #85
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post

Tsukasa may not be smart, but her simple mind is probably what most of us need after a tense day at work.
Gee, I'm sure a couple million housewives will be thrilled to hear that!

Quote:
Which is strange because she (Miyuki) was shown to have a perfectly nice family they could have explored. Oh well, what's done is done...

Well, yea. To me, Miyuki was always underplayed as the Lucky Star main trio's auxiliary or like a "bridge" between the trio and the "new" L*S batch. She always had a funny eye-candy draw mascot feel to me. Like you'd thought if she was so darn umber-moe they'd given her way more play. Maybe it was the salmon-blond thing that demoted her. Or maybe she was just "too perfect" and pumped-up would've dimmed out the others, what her trophy bod, computer brain, traditional etiquette, athletic prowess, the coy knockout-in-glasses thing, world-traveler keen and a kind of cute spaced-out social cluelessness reminiscent of Tsukasa (gee, I'm jealous of her already!). Though Miyuki wasn't deep into games, her performance in the ones she did play even floored Konata. She was almost like the trio all wrapped up in one bright curvy cheesecake package, and there might even be a "wild" side of Miyuki we haven't seen yet but that door's open since we know so little of her home life. I hope the OVA does her better this time 'round – at least better than the L*S games or Pocket Travelers and Murder Mystery. (I don't have the manga so I don't know how they treat her there). But what I really wanna know is how the heck she got so far in high school without any guys playing her tail!

Dee

Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret txt - Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret PDF

Last edited by Dee Eon; 2008-06-27 at 05:49. Reason: .
Old 2008-06-27, 05:33   Link #86
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
Gee, I'm sure a couple million housewives will be thrilled to hear that!

Well, yea. To me, Miyuki was always underplayed as the Lucky Star main trio's auxiliary or like a "bridge" between the trio and the "new" L*S batch. She always had a funny core-group mascot feel to me. Like you'd thought if she was so darn umber-moe they'd given her way more play. Maybe it was the salmon-blond thing that demoted her. Or maybe she was just "too perfect" and pumped-up would've dimmed out the others, what her trophy bod, computer brain, traditional etiquette, athletic prowess, the coy knockout-in-glasses thing, world-traveler keen and a kind of cute spaced-out social cluelessness reminiscent of Tsukasa (gee, I'm jealous of her already!). Though Miyuki wasn't deep into games, her performance in the ones she did play even floored Konata. She was almost like the trio all wrapped up in one bright curvy cheesecake package, and there might even be a "wild" side of Miyuki we haven't seen yet but that door's open since we know so little of her home life. I hope the OVA does her better this time 'round – at least better than the L*S games or Pocket Travelers and Murder Mystery. (I don't have the manga so I don't know how they treat her there). But what I really wanna know is how the heck she got so far in high school without any guys playing her tail!

Dee

Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret txt - Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret PDF
Her wild side appeared when she played a DS game which Konata lent her (at the school library, no less). It was in the manga.
Old 2008-06-27, 16:17   Link #87
Rembr

Quote:
Which is strange because she was shown to have a perfectly nice family they could have explored.
That was because she wasn't in demand back then, right?

Not enough people bit into the whole clueless bookworm moe or whatever she is. Or maybe the fact that the others were more interesting to so many more people forced Miyuki into the shadows.
Old 2008-06-27, 19:49   Link #88
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, the only member of Miyuki's immediate family that's never seen is her father. He does exist, as Miyuki once mentioned him in the "2 million yen blowout". Again, manga-only.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2008-06-27 at 23:54.
Old 2008-06-27, 22:21   Link #89
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I like Miyuki's mom. She's so goofy.
Old 2008-06-28, 04:26   Link #90
Dee Eon

Quote:
Her wild side appeared when she played a DS game which Konata lent her (at the school library, no less). It was in the manga.
That's cool! Would you know if there's a scan of this anywhere? Thanks!

Dee
Old 2008-06-28, 05:29   Link #91
Dee Eon

BTW, can anyone tell me specifically what's the difference between a "Drama CD" and a OVA? Wiki doesn't do it for me. Has L*S had any "Drama CDs" before and what were their contents?

Thanks!

Dee
Old 2008-06-28, 06:30   Link #92
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
That's cool! Would you know if there's a scan of this anywhere? Thanks!

Dee
Er.... I don't know. It's in episode 76, which is contained in volume 3. My rough translation of the episode title is "The Instant of Change".

Quote:
BTW, can anyone tell me specifically what's the difference between a "Drama CD" and a OVA? Wiki doesn't do it for me. Has L*S had any "Drama CDs" before and what were their contents?

Thanks!

Dee
Think of drama CDs as audio CDs, with no moving pictures. Lucky Star has at least 1 drama CD, with a cast that is stellar to say the least. Some names include Koshimizu Ami (CG's Kallen) as Kagami, Yukino Satsuki as Patricia, among others.

I do not have the translation, but one of the tracks involve Minami (Matsuki Miyu) meeting Yutaka (Shimizu Ai) for the first time.
Old 2008-06-28, 08:09   Link #93
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
yezhanquan has described the Drama CD, for OVA have a read of the last post in the How Many Episodes: Answered here! thread.
Old 2008-06-29, 04:00   Link #94
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
yezhanquan has described the Drama CD, for OVA have a read of the last post in the How Many Episodes: Answered here! thread.
Thanks for that ultra tip!!! . You guys running this page are so cool!!

Quote:
Er.... I don't know. It's in episode 76, which is contained in volume 3.
Thanks! Well, I guess I can only hope to bump into that scan (forget the manga itself!) by dumb random luck once a blue moon! I hope they followed-up Miyuki being in and out "wild" like that in the rest of the manga, and it'd really be awesome done in the OVA but I'm not holding my breath that it's not just going to be a half hour of subliminal anime advertisements since L*S is riding so high over there.

Quote:
Think of drama CDs as audio CDs, with no moving pictures. Lucky Star has at least 1 drama CD, with a cast that is stellar to say the least. Some names include Koshimizu Ami (CG's Kallen) as Kagami, Yukino Satsuki as Patricia, among others...
So you're saying it's like a radio play on CD? That's interesting -- and means it'll probably be till the next asteroid strike when it comes out in English!

So sorry I don't really have the time to learn Japanese (or own a PS2) because I'd set up a site just to do translated transcripts of the manga and Lucky Star Ryouou Gakuen Outousai. No art. Just the pure text. Like my highest fantasy would be to fandub them but I'm lame at doing different voices! In fact I'm kinda surprised a fansub CD collection of fandubbed L*S stories all over the web hasn't popped yet!

Quote:
It worries me that every key character but my favourite (Miyuki) is on the latest promo art for the OVA. What did Kyoani just up and say "Well screw her she's like got Pink Hair....and ummmm KONATA!". If Miyuki gets shafted again like in the latter parts of the TV series then I'm not going to be impressed as I got more laughs out of her then any other character combined I think.
Miyuki really needs a stage of her own to strut her awe and mystery, and that's why I just can't hardly wait for Desktop Animation Production to get perfected and released! It's going to be so cool to see KA get competition from their own characters under the hands of fan artists and dubbers!!

Dee

Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret txt - Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret with images PDF

Old 2008-07-01, 02:10   Link #95
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Or maybe the fact that the others were more interesting to so many more people forced Miyuki into the shadows.
Huh....says who?
Old 2008-07-01, 16:20   Link #96
Rembr

Quote:
Huh....says who?
Eh, the polls and the general vibe from all the discussions.
Old 2008-07-02, 02:02   Link #97
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Eh, the polls and the general vibe from all the discussions.
I've never been very big on those types of popularity polls that can decide the fate of a character. I'd prefer to see them at least try to make her case a little more. Well they did....sort of? I don't know what else to say really other then that I'm disappointed if they actually did cave to the Otaku crowd who wanted as much Konata as possible even if it came at the expense of some other characters.
Old 2008-07-02, 13:25   Link #98
Rembr

Quote:
I've never been very big on those types of popularity polls that can decide the fate of a character. I'd prefer to see them at least try to make her case a little more. Well they did....sort of? I don't know what else to say really other then that I'm disappointed if they actually did cave to the Otaku crowd who wanted as much Konata as possible even if it came at the expense of some other characters.
It's not that polls makes things go one way or another, but it does give some gauge as to what people like in general. The way most of the polls look, you can definitely see that people liked the others more than Miyuki. Even side characters have more fans than her. So why should Kyoani try to make Miyuki's case? Do you suspect that would've made the show an even bigger success?

What can I say? 'Oh well'? If you don't like what everyone else likes, there isn't gonna be a lot out there in life that mingles well with your tastes.
Old 2008-07-02, 19:11   Link #99
Dee Eon

Quote:
Oh well, as Dad once said, more than a few comics heroes who started off as third bananas ended up with their own mag, especially in the Marvel universe. Most of you all would know way better than I...

That said, and noticing how even the Powerpuff Girls Z crowd have their own on-line fanzine manga by awesome Yuji Battakun (which looks EXACTLY like the official PPGZ manga), it'd be kinda nice to take aside one of these great Lucky Star fan artists who are spinning their wheels and churning out nice but repetitious Lucky Star artwork on Deviant Art and Raki-Suta and ask them to more productively (and excitingly) ply their pens or brushes or whatever to drawing online Lucky Star mangas under diff writers, only this time with a more prominent (or starring??) mysterious Miyuki for once! To me, as long as you follow manga canon and studied the tone of the original manga to capture the same look and feel that fans all agree on, it make no diff whether the strip's done by a deep-steeped fan or Yoshimizu Kagami himself (and really, since L*S struck gold as an anime just how much of that manga's REALLY done by him now, huh?). Like if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck...

Now the coolest thing to me is all these fan-created mangas and strips are just a tantalizing dress-rehearsal to the "real thing" via Desktop Animation Production. I got a peek at a raw "wireframe" version of this in Denver's "Toaster Works", (and it's kind of like a blend of theater and stage direction software and a morphing program on steroids which shapes your characters moves in motion. They're aiming for "Disney grade" animation quality). Shouldn't really be much longer before this stuff comes out, but it'll really change how pop anime and manga characters are viewed and featured. I mean imagine your fav (or original!) manga/anime characters in adventures and scenarios an animation studio wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, but it looks just like they did it! Gee, imagine the impact on OVAs and the whole nine yards! Okay, okay, secretly I'd LOVE to be a voice talent for these fan animes, but if DAP prices fall to earth over time from the thousands I'm sure they'll debut as, I've a feeling there'll be plenty of regular and original fan anime characters to chose doing.

Anyway, that's my two yen on the issue (Go Yuki!).

Dee

Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret txt - Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret with images PDF
Old 2008-07-04, 03:49   Link #100
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
It's not that polls makes things go one way or another, but it does give some gauge as to what people like in general. The way most of the polls look, you can definitely see that people liked the others more than Miyuki. Even side characters have more fans than her. So why should Kyoani try to make Miyuki's case? Do you suspect that would've made the show an even bigger success?

What can I say? 'Oh well'? If you don't like what everyone else likes, there isn't gonna be a lot out there in life that mingles well with your tastes.
We seem to be on a different page here. I'm in no way interested in success, I'm interested in what I see, what I receive from the series. Considering I won't be seeing a penny of the profits, big or bigger success, it doesn't matter to me, what matters is the overall content. And in that case I felt as well as wished her bit could have been more fleshed out and continue to hope (though given the synposis and promotional art with a lack of Miyuki entirely probably in vain) that she will be given some decent screen time in the OVA.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, ova, school life, seinen