Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-12-08, 00:30   Link #1
Ryoujin
What?

Possibly buying PS3 Slim in the US, got a dilemma

Hello Hopefully I'll get a bit more enlightenment about this ^_^

Here's the deal: In my country the PS3 Slim is $100 more than in the US, and games are somewhere around $20~$35 extra. The only real advantage of buying the Slim over here is because of the 1 year warranty (we got Sony Style stores over here too) — I've been told that the warranty is local (if I buy it in the US it's only valid in the US, if I buy it in my country it's only valid in my country), not global/international (by the way, I live in Region A/1)

There's a chance I could buy the Slim in the US (someone I know is going, I could order it by Amazon or something, ship it and the person could bring it back), and with those $100 I could probably buy 2-3 games (in Amazon as well, for example).

That being said, and it might be kinda off to ask this because the Slim hasn't been in the market for over a year, but still, would it be worth paying the $100 for the warranty? I'm guessing that for the most part games don't really have an issue.

Just to make a bit of math:
  • If I buy the PS3 Slim 120GB in my country, and Batman: Arkham, Infamous and the Dualshock 3 controller in Amazon, it would be somewhere around $550 (the PS3 would have warranty in my country).
  • If I buy the PS3 Slim 120GB in Amazon, along with Batman: Arkham, Infamous, God of War Collection, Grand Theft Auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4 and the Dualshock 3 controller, it would be around $520 (supposedly no warranty in my country).

Last edited by Ryoujin; 2009-12-08 at 00:56.
Ryoujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 01:07   Link #2
Statonxyb
hrm

Failure rates for the PS3 are very low.

I've had my fat console since MGS4 hit and I've yet to have a problem with it. In your case, you'll just have to go with what's most comfortable. If I were living outside of the US and went to buy a Slim, I'd opt out of the warranty in exchange for a few more games, but that's just me.
Old 2009-12-14, 05:33   Link #3
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
1 year warranty? Forget it.

The failure rate on the fat consoles at least is low (my PS3 is a Japanese one so I don't have a warranty either, play it to death and haven't had any problems whatsoever), and on the off chance it does fail, it most likely won't be in the first year. If it was a 2 or 3 year warranty I'd probably lean towards peace of mind, but 1? Nah. Get the extra games.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 14:27   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

Personally, I don't pay attention to the warranty stuff. More over, the PS3 Slim has a very low failure rate or the chance of getting the Yellow Light of Death. Thus, I suggest you to get the cheaper one unless adding an extra hundred dollar will get you a bundle or some sort of special edition design.

As for myself, I will be getting the 250GB Slim for 350 dollars.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote