AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-19, 06:14   Link #161
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Nice and cute ending, like it should be. It could've been better, but there was NO hype for this show at all and it ended up being one of the better shows of the year.

I agree that it is definitely one of the most overlooked shows.

Even Umisho had quadruple the downloads than this show ever did.

Or even Touka Gettan.

I'd say it's been getting roughly the same low-ebbing buzz as Hitohira. All of them, IMO were great on their own.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-19, 13:33   Link #162
Tom & Jerry

This is what fansubing is about, introducing non-japanese viewers to shows they don't normally watch, shows with no commercial potential in interational market.
Tom & Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-19, 16:10   Link #163
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Amen!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 19:09   Link #164
Blaat

Also I forgot to add in my last posts: this show has an excellent soundtrack love it.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 23:57   Link #165
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Great, great, great. Great writing, great soundtrack, great ending, great animation. Greatly under appreciated. Nine pages??? This was one of the very best of the year - certainly one of the most original and visually interesting series, and packed start to finish with sly and intelligent humor. Really makes me want to see how it comes off on stage.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 00:03   Link #166
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ah, the cat song, the gibberish scene - "Police, police!" All the great moments of brilliance are flooding back to mind now that it's over...
Old 2008-01-30, 10:43   Link #167
wao
OK.

So I finally watched this after recommendations thrown to me from here and there. Hm, since I only just finished it minutes ago and twitter is down let me utter the unimaginative "zOMG okay wtf was that" and then realise that of course it was entirely expected. (I think by about halfway through the series most viewers could've guessed that you-know-who was a you-know-what.)

Er, well I think it was a good try and really quite unappreciated despite being a rather anime-like anime with many familiar elements to entertain people with (I guess like me the general feel of the anime didn't seem enticing enough; after all I felt unwilling to watch it because of some of the character designs). But I can't help but say it wasn't anything better than maybe "good"... I don't know, it simply wasn't funny a good portion of the time and I was kind of waiting for some sections to end every now and then. I dunno, maybe it's just me and my closedmindedness or something.

Personally my biggest motivation for finishing the show was Gin-san, not just because of silly fangirl reasons but because he felt like the most interesting character although I'm pretty sure many viewers would disagree with me because in a way he may also be the most conventional.

Anyway I don't have much to say except that it was a reasonably fun ride and the soundtrack was really, really effective. Here's a selection of the things I enjoyed the most in the anime - maybe I wasn't really suited for it or something

-The soundtrack, of course
-Yeah yeah Gin-san.
-Genzo's most important words.
-Akai Nishinosuke. (and maybe [s]Toyama[/]s Kin-san)
-O-Sora-san, roughly 65% of the time.
-Flashes of unique irreverence
-The intentionally, highly varied designs
-I admit - some of the in-jokes (the Ayakashi Ayashi one was daring, and this is prolly one of the first anime to joke at niconico)
That's all I can think of for now.
Old 2008-01-30, 10:55   Link #168
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I, too, thought that Gin-san was the strongest, and most interesting, character in the show. I wish they had fleshed out his relationship with O-Ise-san a bit more. I thought she was also an intriguing character who deserved more screen time.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 11:14   Link #169
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I only just finished it minutes ago
Snap, I had only just finished watching the last episode a couple of hours ago.

I enjoyed the series for it's rather off-beat wackyness, and the (opening and both ending) music was a hit for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I, too, thought that Gin-san was the strongest, and most interesting, character in the show. I wish they had fleshed out his relationship with O-Ise-san a bit more. I thought she was also an intriguing character who deserved more screen time.
Also agree. I was somewhat surprised that she was not present at the party scene at the end of the episode.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 12:11   Link #170
Muddle!

Send a message via AIM to Muddle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Also agree. I was somewhat surprised that she was not present at the party scene at the end of the episode.
I was surprised by that as well. The relationship between Ginjiro and O-Ise was always more interesting to me than his relationship to Sora.
Muddle! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 20:04   Link #171
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
I was almost afraid to mention this thinking someone might hit me for even so much as vaguely "shipping" the two (I don't like that term much). But yes! I was rather heartbroken to see it happen; I don't mean they must have really formed a relationship anything more than their interesting one but this is...
Old 2008-03-18, 11:18   Link #172
ghstwrld

Has this series been released on DVD yet?

I would love to purchase a box set.
ghstwrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 14:29   Link #173
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Sorry, but it is not licensed, hence it is in our Fansubbed forum, instead of our Licensed forum. You can however purchase the Japanese R2 DVDs here.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 19:46   Link #174
ellifeedn
Thinker

I am interested in watching this series, but I'm wondering if SS has a Xvid batch instead of the h264 batch.

EDIT: After having nothing to watch, I just said to myself "Screw it!" and started to download the h264 batch. Hopefully I can watch it.

Last edited by ellifeedn; 2008-05-13 at 22:40.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 03:35   Link #175
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Another Funimation release, they have added Oh! Edo Rocket to their New Show A-Go-Go list today. ANN report.
Old 2008-12-27, 13:17   Link #176
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

To say this news is surprising is an understatement.

I never expected to see Oh! Edo Rocket licensed in the US. It seemed much "too Japanese" to be a success in foreign markets, and it doesn't have any obvious characteristics that would make it appeal to mainstream anime viewers in R1. I thought perhaps it was part of a package deal with Madhouse where Funi obtained the license to Rocket as a requirement of licensing something else expected to sell better. So far I don't see any other Madhouse works in the "new show a go-go" list, though that doesn't mean the other works won't show up in Funi's list down the road.

I looked for some data on sales of the DVDs for this show in Japan, but it doesn't appear in the thread devoted to this subject.

I've been buying Saiunkoku Monogatari recently at about $3/episode. I hope Funi can keep prices for Rocket in the same ballpark.

@xris: Like that hat. Oji-san!
Old 2008-12-27, 18:30   Link #177
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
To say this news is surprising is an understatement.

I never expected to see Oh! Edo Rocket licensed in the US. It seemed much "too Japanese" to be a success in foreign markets, and it doesn't have any obvious characteristics that would make it appeal to mainstream anime viewers in R1. I thought perhaps it was part of a package deal with Madhouse where Funi obtained the license to Rocket as a requirement of licensing something else expected to sell better. So far I don't see any other Madhouse works in the "new show a go-go" list, though that doesn't mean the other works won't show up in Funi's list down the road.

I looked for some data on sales of the DVDs for this show in Japan, but it doesn't appear in the thread devoted to this subject.

I've been buying Saiunkoku Monogatari recently at about $3/episode. I hope Funi can keep prices for Rocket in the same ballpark.

@xris: Like that hat. Oji-san!
Truth. I love, love, love this series - but it would be hard to imagine anything more oddly suited to the foreign market. I hope it's successful, but I have my doubts.
Old 2009-09-28, 15:27   Link #178
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

No mention of Rocket at last week's Funimation's presentation during the New York Anime Festival. Now that's perhaps not too surprising, but it has been almost a year since Funi picked up the license.
Old 2010-01-20, 20:34   Link #179
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Funimation has begun streaming Oh! Edo Rocket on its website. So far there are only four episodes up, all with subtitles.

For those who missed this unusual, yet excellent series the first time around, your time has come!
Old 2010-08-28, 15:55   Link #180
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I notice that DVD release dates are now available and that stockists are listing Oh! Edo Rocket for pre-order.

Mania have listed the release date for the DVDs as being the 2nd November 2010, and what's more the DVDs are listed at sites such as DVDPacific.

Quote:
Detail from Mania Upcoming Releases

11-02-2010 Oh! Edo Rocket Season 1 Part 1 FUNimation Entertainment, Ltd. DVD 325m. $49.98
11-02-2010 Oh! Edo Rocket Season 1 Part 2 FUNimation Entertainment, Ltd. DVD 325m. $49.98
Not sure why it's listed as "Season 1" since part 1 and part 2 are both listed as being 325 minutes, which would mean 13 episodes each, therefore all 26 eps are included in these two releases.

Oh! Edo Rocket Season 1 Part 1 $27.47 Release Date 2nd Nov 2010

Oh! Edo Rocket Season 1 Part 2 $27.47 Release Date 2nd Nov 2010

Not bad, just over $2 per episode for a DVD release.
As of Aug 2010 I will be on hiatus so will not be active as I used to be (this could be considered good news or bad news depending on your viewpoint). Please contact another Mod if you require any help or assistance.

Tags
historical, madhouse