AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-07-05, 20:05   Link #1
Ota-kun
v イイエイイエイイエ!!!v

Hot-Swapping Drives Concern

I was doing a transfer of HDDs earlier today and I, being the general idiot that I am, unplugged the SATA power cable that goes to my system drive. I was pretty sure it was the system drive because an I/O device error popped up in Windows and it locked up and froze. I switched the PSU off and plugged the power cable back in and now the HDD won't spool up or power on.

iirc hot-unplugging hard drives can fry a PSU or mobo from a small power surge that comes in when plugging in the hard drive.

HDD in concern: HITACHI Deskstar HD30500 IDK/7K (0S00161) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I'm worried about this because IT IS MY SYSTEM DRIVE

Posts in reference: http://club.myce.com/f138/hard-drive-wont-power-215713/
:http://club.myce.com/f138/dead-hard-...spin-up-57921/

Last edited by Ota-kun; 2010-07-05 at 20:21.
Ota-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 22:23   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Although SATA can be hotswapable, it's never a good idea to hotswap a SATA drive that is connected directly to the PSU and motherboard. If you are temporarily transferring data to another drive, you should use a SATA to USB 2.0 adapter or enclosure. This ensures safe hot swapping of drives.

My suggestion is to get an adapter I have mentioned and try connecting the drive from there. If your drive power up and mounts to the computer, the PSU/motherboard may need replacing. To be sure, try hooking up a different drive directly to the motherboard and PSU. If you are unable to get the drive mounted to the computer with a SATA/USB 2.0 adapter, the drive is pretty much dead. If that is the case, you need to sent it in for data recovery, which can cost a lot of money.

Next time, make sure you have a full backup of your system drive before doing anything risky. This way, you can just get a new drive and restore with minimal data loss.
Old 2010-07-05, 22:48   Link #3
Ota-kun
v イイエイイエイイエ!!!v

Alright I'll try it out using a SATA adapter I have lying around in another room. If that doesn't work I can try doing a PCB swap with an extra dead drive I have that has the same PCB code as the hard drive that won't power on. Though I'll only do that if the SATA adapter solution doesn't work since the PCB swap is kind of a last resort option.
Ota-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard drive, hardware, problem