AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2008-07-09, 23:15   Link #21
RBomber

As long as it's held together by magic and/or supernatural abilities, it can be broken. And I think it's also pertain to physical barrier as well (as long as it held down by Magic or supernatural abilities). Like when Touma "Strip-performing" Index. Poor Index....

About Touma's physical power, well, If he got that much bad luck, it's not far-stretched that he's forced to strengthen his body to prepare against anything that might come to him (knocked by fallen debris, rammed by vehicles, slipping into ravines, chased by wild dogs, crossing paths with pissed-off No.1 world martial artist, trapped in gang-fights-for-turds, etc....)
RBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 03:15   Link #22
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Chap 5 is out

It's a 'cooldown' chapter, where Index give alittle background information about magic's side of the world.

Spoiler:

And a nice little bonding scene with Touma and Index

P.S - Touma likes to tease his sensei alot huh
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 03:52   Link #23
excelence

that kind of sensei? ... i think i'll do the same as Touma (>_>)

wtf loli + bunny pajamas ??? uber moe
excelence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 04:19   Link #24
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Chap 5 is out

Spoiler:
Chp5... Ah, after Stiyl's attack.

And~, I continue to lose trust in fan-translated manga. I checked the translated chapter because of the strange way you worded things... and behold, carnage.

For now, I don't have the time (or want) to mention every little thing (and I'm still reeling from the shock at how bad it gets), but here are a few bigger things.
--
Pg.4, top-left

Index is supposed to say that if she teaches how, even a middle-schooler can do it.
Don't joke around with me, translator!! Where the hell did you get her not paying attention in class!? Oiiiiii!! Shaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Page 8, top-left

I don't even know what the translator is trying to make sensei say anymore...

Page 11, top-left

Ah, come on, don't make Touma sound so forceful. He doesn't say "listen to her", he tells her to ask Index for explanations. Silly translator~ *strained grin*

Page 27, top-right

Index is supposed to say that she never forgets anything she sees.
--
Well, the translator wasn't utterly horrible at least... ( -_-)

Spoiler for spoiler stuff tag with spoiler tag:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 04:26   Link #25
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
maybe it was because i just got off of work, or perhaps i was reading too fast, but I didn't really understand what Index was saying. Well, i'm gonna read it again when i wake up(no need to worry about explaining anything), i know i missed something >.>.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen
Spoiler:
I thought that was interesting too. Magic vs. Science, which one is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_b
"stuff about mistranslations"
I'll read it again with these in mind, thanks .
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_b
Altered sounds like such a dark word. Then again, the translator took out stuff... so it can't be helped.

Basically, the reason the science people can't use magic is because their "circuit (brain)" is different.
The "supernatural powers" in this series are explained in a super-scientific way, where apparently, people artificially develop/mess with their brain/circuit which causes the powers. And that change which creates powers is in the way of using magic, which is something created for powerless people to use.
As you can see, sensei doesn't have any powers, so she could do what Touma couldn't.[/spoiler]
I did notice that the teacher was using magic, it didn't make sense with Index's explanation, so i thought I just missed something. Esp since i readily assumed that since the teacher was aware of the special/psychic powers to begin with, she would naturally have the ability to use some sort of skill herself.

Quote:
Spoiler for railgun:
Are you refering to the same moment in Railgun or are you saying it in regards to both series as a whole ?

Last edited by frubam; 2008-07-10 at 04:49. Reason: because of the post b4 mine
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 04:39   Link #26
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Chp5... Ah, after Stiyl's attack.

And~, I continue to lose trust in fan-translated manga. I checked the translated chapter because of the strange way you worded things... and behold, carnage.

For now, I don't have the time (or want) to mention every little thing (and I'm still reeling from the shock at how bad it gets), but here are a few bigger things.
Serenade on a rampage

But what was said about the church and stuff... I can believe in it right? It's okay for me to believe in it right ?

Quote:
--
Pg.4, top-left

Index is supposed to say that if she teaches how, even a middle-schooler can do it.
Don't joke around with me, translator!! Where the hell did you get her not paying attention in class!? Oiiiiii!! Shaaaaaaaaaaaa!
I was wondering about that class as well, I was under the impression that she wasn't treated like much of a human...

Quote:
--
Well, the translator wasn't utterly horrible at least... ( -_-)

Spoiler for spoiler stuff tag with spoiler tag:

I always thought the sensei has power(s), so thats why I was surprised at that Anyway it's still an interesting thought, Science vs Magic...

Now it really sounds like an RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post

I thought that was interesting too. Magic vs. Science, which one is better?
At this point, I can't quite tell the difference between the both of them...
Old 2008-07-10, 05:04   Link #27
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Are you refering to the same moment in Railgun or are you saying it in regards to both series as a whole
As a whole, I guess.
There is no same moment in Railgun, since the events are not the same. Railgun is strictly focused on the science side, and the events occurring currently center around the brain development concept.

Quote:
But what was said about the church and stuff... I can believe in it right? It's okay for me to believe in it right ?
Yeah, the last few pages on the church were more or less correct. Which brings me up to the question on how they missed simple lines, and got more complicated lines correct...

EDIT:
Quote:
At this point, I can't quite tell the difference between the both of them...
Just from observation...
Supernatural powers/Science=Stuff that are, well, scientific like electricity, space, and light
Magic=The usual "things just pop out of nowhere/mana in the air", like spirits of fire.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2008-07-10 at 05:31.
Old 2008-07-10, 10:30   Link #28
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

UM W8 let see her

to fiferrentiate it let me put it in a simple sentece

Supernatural powers/Science:can be gained through some medicine/surgery/treatment/enhancement/training and also in born

While

Magice:CAN ONLY BE GAINED BY BEING BORN BOTH WIT MAGIC ABILiTY (rather being born with powers like pyrokenisis or telepathy)

um is that simple enough???
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 10:43   Link #29
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post

While

Magice:CAN ONLY BE GAINED BY BEING BORN BOTH WIT MAGIC ABILiTY (rather being born with powers like pyrokenisis or telepathy)

um is that simple enough???

Erm no, apparently, anyone can be trained to use magic. However, if they artificially develop their brain 'circuit' to get those powers, they lose the ability to perform magic.

Quote:

Just from observation...
Supernatural powers/Science=Stuff that are, well, scientific like electricity, space, and light
Magic=The usual "things just pop out of nowhere/mana in the air", like spirits of fire.

I don't know, that level of scientific technology is almost no different from magic...

I must admit though, I'm slightly amused. In almost every fiction story I've read, the use of magic is reserve only for the higher class people with social status, and that to be able to use magic is apparently a grand thing, that is to be made a fuss out of it...

This is the first time I've heard that magic is for the common people. So it's a nice change.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2008-07-10 at 10:58.
Old 2008-07-10, 10:53   Link #30
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

well it is kinda manga thing soo bear with it a bit hehehe
Old 2008-07-10, 11:07   Link #31
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Angry serenade is angry

Shame they skipped to vol 3... well at least we get to him faster
Spoiler for :
Old 2008-07-10, 12:17   Link #32
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
The way things were being explained I was under the impression that special/supernatural ability is something that can be proven scientifically(did someone already say this?). Like even though Mikoto's use of electricity may seem just like magic, there probably is a more scientific explanation in how she stores and manipulates it. Touma's ability seems more like magic, though I haven't had the chance to see other supernatural abilities, so who am I to say that neutralization of supernatual and magical attacks is a far cry from actual physics.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 15:58   Link #33
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Unrelated question to the going-on's, but what's with the Japanese and the Church?

Do they think of the Catholic Church and get, "Da Vinci Code (God I hate that book) Generic Conspiracy" or something?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 18:42   Link #34
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Unrelated question to the going-on's, but what's with the Japanese and the Church?

Do they think of the Catholic Church and get, "Da Vinci Code (God I hate that book) Generic Conspiracy" or something?
Well, in the old OLD days, the Church was being quite the asshole... No offence.
Old 2008-07-10, 19:56   Link #35
TrueKnight

Lol, 'Rome Orthodox Church'? Guess they decided to add some materials on their own.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 21:17   Link #36
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Well, in the old OLD days, the Church was being quite the asshole... No offence.
A European historian would be quite familiar with the intricate politics of, say, the Renaissance Church with its legendary intrigues, the Counter-Reformation and the Inquisition, or the theological-political conflicts in the Medieval Church. A Central/South American historian would recognize the great influences, both good and bad, of the Catholic Church upon the development of his or her society. But the Japanese?

What, I thought pretty much the only foreign Catholics that made an impact in Japan were the Jesuits, and they were like, the cleanest, most upright group in the entire Church hierarchy -- and that happened before the isolation of the Tokugawa/Edo period...

Plus, the local Christians in Japanese history were the prosecuted ones, not the prosecutors, Inquisitors, and evil mastermind big red hat-wearing bureaucrats.

Where did them Japanese fiction authors get this idea of the cruel, heartless, masterminding Church of Everything from anyway? I'd give some leeway if it's a few "multicultural" authors who are quite familiar with the West, but it's like every other manga out there needs an evil Church and they all look distinctly Catholic.

Gee. If I were the Patriach of Constantinople I should be quite offended at this lack of attention from the Rising Sun-landers. It was that city's legend after all that invented the descriptive word, byzantine.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 21:55   Link #37
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

Where did them Japanese fiction authors get this idea of the cruel, heartless, masterminding Church of Everything from anyway? I'd give some leeway if it's a few "multicultural" authors who are quite familiar with the West, but it's like every other manga out there needs an evil Church and they all look distinctly Catholic.

These days, ANYBODY has access to Discovery channel, National Geography, History channel etc.

Just for starters, I mean, youdon't have to personally experience things to know about them.

Maybe it's just an appealing idea to play with.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2008-07-10 at 22:59.
Old 2008-07-11, 00:30   Link #38
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

also it only show what the autors mind is telling us hehehehe
Old 2008-07-18, 03:44   Link #39
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

After starting to read the novels (still on vol.1), I finally understood a few scenes from the manga that was possibly questionable (yay~)
So bringing back a few things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Spoiler for chap 4:

I re-read the chaps again, and a question came to mind(particularly aimed at s_b since s/he read the Railgun manga). Why would Mikoto attack Touma(ch 1), even though he was running away from those thugs? Initially, he shows no abilities whatsoever, i would think she sees him as some coward, and not worth her time, yet she uses a powerful move on him right off the bat. Doesn't make any sense to me.
Re-answering:
Spoiler for explanation, is not shown in the manga (from the novel 1):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBomber View Post
About Touma's physical power, well, If he got that much bad luck
He can always cut off his right hand to stop having such bad luck...

Quote:
Erm no, apparently, anyone can be trained to use magic. However, if they artificially develop their brain 'circuit' to get those powers, they lose the ability to perform magic.
Which does really make me wonder what Japan (in this manga's world) is thinking, creating a city where teenagers can gain the power to blast apart concrete with a single coin or anything else...
And there's the question of humanity and such, considering all the things the children (teenagers) do/have to do to possibly even get a little power...
Well, it is manga... Thinking too hard isn't the best thing either... ( -_-)

Old 2008-07-18, 06:52   Link #40
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
He can always cut off his right hand to stop having such bad luck...
Good luck with that...

Get it? 'good luck' ?

Quote:
Which does really make me wonder what Japan (in this manga's world) is thinking, creating a city where teenagers can gain the power to blast apart concrete with a single coin or anything else...
And there's the question of humanity and such, considering all the things the children (teenagers) do/have to do to possibly even get a little power...
Well, it is manga... Thinking too hard isn't the best thing either... ( -_-)

Personally, I'm a wait-and-see kind of guy, usually the answer would later than sooner, after all, where's the fun in that?

Though it would be interesting if them trying to create their army of human weapons.

Tags
fantasy, shounen