AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 42 15.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 18.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 67 25.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 57 21.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 28 10.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 3.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 1.87%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 2.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.75%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-01, 18:56   Link #81
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Finished watching it. I was quite surprised at the pacing at first, but if you're going to grab the non-player viewer's attention, we had to stop at a good cliffhanger. The normal pace would have been boring.

Although I have to say they made a few things weird though. They're just small nitpicks in any case, but I guess they were done to save screentime (Battler not thanking Jessica in the guesthouse, Maria giving them the scorpion charm right out, etc.). Overall, it was fun if you didn't know the game. I can't give it my full marks though.

And props for the new BGM. They don't sound out of place.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:03   Link #82
Saerianne
*cackle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkypink View Post
Depending on what version you watched, it might not have had the beeps. If it was the censored version, I think you probably would have noticed so you likely got the later raw which was uncensored XD A bunch of us jumped on the original offering which had the bleeps.
Ah yes, it was the uncensored version. XD Thanks for that.

Only thing I can say is that we keep hope that it turns out well.
-fingers crossed they don't screw a certain someone up-
Old 2009-07-01, 19:06   Link #83
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

In hindsight, if they were rushing things to get to the action/mystery and involve people new to the series, why wasn't a complete reading of the Epitaph included? That whole thing is very ominous and should get most people thinking along the lines of "Oh crap, are people going to be murdered in order like the Epitaph says?" and "Wow, I should stay tuned to next week because I'm curious about [insert line] on the epitaph!"

I almost find that more concerning that the pacing.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:13   Link #84
Saerianne
*cackle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelii View Post
In hindsight, if they were rushing things to get to the action/mystery and involve people new to the series, why wasn't a complete reading of the Epitaph included? That whole thing is very ominous and should get most people thinking along the lines of "Oh crap, are people going to be murdered in order like the Epitaph says?" and "Wow, I should stay tuned to next week because I'm curious about [insert line] on the epitaph!"

Agreed. I thought that they didn't read it, but then assumed that they did and because I'm Japanese Illiterate it just seemed that they read it quick.
That's worrying.
Maybe they'll read it next episode...
Old 2009-07-01, 19:14   Link #85
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelii View Post

Exactly what I am thinking. It's very important part but is left off T T.

Pressure would be a lot higher if Battler read the epitaph line by line and zoom closely to the text.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:15   Link #86
Marion
The Great Dine

Something I forgot to mention:

Spoiler for Game details about natsuhi, non future spoiler:

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-07-01 at 19:23. Reason: better tag
Old 2009-07-01, 19:32   Link #87
BakaOnna

Wow, talk about pacing problems. It's been a while since I read Ep1 so I don't remember everything that was cut, but even without that knowledge, it felt rushed. It's as if someone had everything fast forwarded. And, I felt, this ended up hurting some of the scenes.
Spoiler:

I'll wait until I watch the subbed version before I give the episode its final rating, but right now it's about a 7/10.

And I can guess what Ryuukishi meant by the "surprise" awaiting the VN-fans.

Last edited by BakaOnna; 2009-07-01 at 20:41.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:33   Link #88
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Actually, one quick fix would've been to replace the bit of talk about the value of the gold with a reading of the epitaph, and have the ad break there.

Oh well, what's done is done.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:35   Link #89
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
Actually, one quick fix would've been to replace the bit of talk about the value of the gold with a reading of the epitaph, and have the ad break there.

How about keeping both scenes as an open option?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-07-01, 19:35   Link #90
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I can live with the cuts to story (yes, very generous of me, I know ) but I found the episode really lacking in atmosphere which is not good at all.

Old 2009-07-01, 19:38   Link #91
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post

Sigh and even we complain here, our voices would still not be heard.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:39   Link #92
Avisch
Reality Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I can live with the cuts to story (yes, very generous of me, I know ) but I found the episode really lacking in atmosphere which is not good at all.
Yes. That is incredibly generous of you, I found myself laughing alittle actually.
There's still time for the atmosphere to develop, if they do not go as fast as this episode.

One crazy B****
Old 2009-07-01, 19:45   Link #93
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
How about keeping both scenes as an open option?
Well, no. Everyone knows the massive number of cuts was done because of time constraints.

That bit wasn't particularly important, since people should know that 10 tons of gold is worth a heck of a lot. It's an easy thing to cut and replace with something a lot more important.

I don't think anything else in the episode could have been sliced down, really.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:46   Link #94
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaOnna View Post
Wow, talk about pacing problems. It's as if someone had everything fast forwarded. It was definitely rushed. It makes me worried about the pacing issues during the latter episodes.

And I can guess what Ryuukishi meant by the "surprise" awaiting the VN-fans.
This allows the later episodes to have a slowed down pace, because that's where the juice is.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:47   Link #95
Aeriven
Please grant my wish.

Gave it an 8/10 myself. I'm extremely excited to see Umineko in anime form, at long last! The first episode did feel a bit too rushed, otherwise I probably would have given it a perfect score. On the other hand, after reading some comments on here, I can see why they wanted to get all this into the first anime episode. Leaves more room for the rest of the events of this arc.

I saw the bleeped version of the raw, and they were so jarring, it made me laugh my ass of. Husband thought I was crazy.

Overall, I was impressed and can't wait to see more!
Old 2009-07-01, 19:56   Link #96
Sammich
Crazy Quoting Machine

Thanks to spoiling myself reading this thread (in a good way) it turned out better than expected for me. Rather liked the whole atmosphere in general, despite the pacing, cutting and use of some pretty cliché effects.
The art style seems to look a bit old-fashioned somehow, can't explain why. Choppy in parts even.
Spoiler for Minor episode spoiler:

That added to the mood though, made it seem more old-fashioned.

Some highlights (ok while writing it turned into more than some):
Spoiler for VN spoilers, will keep it minor:

Here's to hoping the next episode slows down a bit and lives up to expectations.
Old 2009-07-01, 20:05   Link #97
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

....even though they didn't read the epitaph out loud, they did show it. And isn't the "and kill" part repeated a few times making it stand out? Just saying...

Anyways, considering how events in each game aims to follow the epitaph, I'm sure the whole thing will be read multiple times in the future .
Old 2009-07-01, 20:28   Link #98
Rasuberi
Give me things to draw!!!

Send a message via AIM to Rasuberi
I haven't read the VN (though slightly familiar with the series which is why I have been anticipating it), yet even I thought it was ridiculously rushed. I do know SOME spoilers, but nothing significant, and I've been interested in Umineko since it came out and have saved tons of fanart on my computer. I'm just too lazy to read it, cause I'd rather read it in Japanese and that would take (me) a long time. Plus, I like to watch adaptions prior to reading the original material, which I did with Higurashi. And Higurashi happens to be my favorite series so...

I was disappointed in the pace of the episode like most others. I was hoping for more out of all the characters... but I figure that I was just expecting too much out of the first episode.

I thought the OP was wonderful. I love Akiko TOOONS, thanks to lots of AT and AT2. It's also a relief to know that they'll be using (arranged?) BGM's from the game, seeing as I've listened to all of those too as I loved Higurashi's music as well. XD Umineko's is even more epic, I think.

As an end note, does anyone think it's a bad idea that I'd rather watch the adaption before reading the VNs themselves? I thought of reading them in correspondence to what's airing, but I'm sure I'd just get caught up in it and not stop reading... xD

Old 2009-07-01, 20:33   Link #99
milkypink
♥~☆~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasuberi View Post
As an end note, does anyone think it's a bad idea that I'd rather watch the adaption before reading the VNs themselves? I thought of reading them in correspondence to what's airing, but I'm sure I'd just get caught up in it and not stop reading... xD
You'll probably appreciate the anime more if you don't read the VN, I suppose. (All of us VN people are very "omg they left that out!" and "wait that's not right!" ) If you do VN after anime you might feel kind of depending on how much is really left out but I don't think it's a BAD idea per se.

If I had been un-lazy and read the Higurashi VNs I could give you some better perspective because I saw the anime first, buuuuut I basically watched it and spoiled myself the major things that were left out through this forum...
Old 2009-07-01, 20:34   Link #100
MarthX

I think some people are being too hard on the anime. It can't have the visual novel's pace, especially Episode 1's or else it'd take two or three episodes before anything happens. The pace is so quick because it sped through the slow beginning. This arc is already confirmed to be 5 episodes long so the pace will slow down dramatically.
Closed Thread