Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-08, 10:45   Link #961
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
^
THIS. Also Kai was too slow to react when Mizuka's robotic legs started going berserk. He stood there like an idiot for a whole minute.
Her death felt a bit contrived too. I don't understand why he didn't try again the suplex move that worked the first time. Then he could just "princess carry" her to safety. If the legs don't touch the ground, they can't move, right? And sooner or later the battery would die.

This episode was intense but I hate when the drama comes from the characters' stupidity.
IMO The idea of an artificial mecha legs that can push a boy at his full strength while at the same time able to balance itself under the weight of an adult woman is already ridiculous to begin with. Tbh, I can't stop facepalming during that "mad legs" scene to the point that I almost laugh when Mizuka finally fell to her death. Almost.
Old 2013-02-08, 11:14   Link #962
Xeiros

Why did the main character stand there in shock while I'm sure most of us figured out what was happening long before he did? Realism. That is exactly how any of us would have reacted. It is the difference between observing/imagining a hypothetical situation from an outside viewpoint and actually experiencing it in real life. You are the unbiased, unaffected, logical third party that can observe and come to a conclusion because of this.

How exactly could he have saved her? The exoskeleton was clearly shown to be incredibly strong. It was able to overpower both her weight and his although he was the only one able to actually resist. He would need both arms to carry her and keep her off the ground, but it would simply use his own body as leverage against him. Not only that, his hands would also be occupied disallowing the use of his pad to call for help. If he sets he down anywhere, the exoskeleton will get right back up again. Waiting for the battery to die before his own strength gives out? You must be joking. There was nothing he could have done to save her.

As for Subaru, if it turns out it did fall directly on him and he doesn't attempt to get out of the way like it implied he wasn't going to, then he's either dead or in very critical condition if they can get him to a hospital in time. When sometihng of its weight falls on a person, they're usually crushed to death and killed almost instantly. The human body is quite weak. Did they say how much it weighs exactly? Also that is some damn strong wind.
Old 2013-02-08, 12:12   Link #963
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeiros View Post
Why did the main character stand there in shock while I'm sure most of us figured out what was happening long before he did? Realism. That is exactly how any of us would have reacted.
I'm sorry but I'm calling BULLSHIT on that. Especially given what's been happening over the whole course of the show, any of us would have been "hey kagome kagome playing before the evil group does something, Mizuha's legs walking towards the cliff maybe I should do something NOW instead of looking at it like a retard, ok suplexing didn't work, but I'm gonna princess carry the shit out of her untill I get her to safety like that the SHRINE over there that is like 20 feet away, I could think of something that can help, like taking the rope that is attached to the bell and wrapping it around her and some object to keep her from moving, or just put her INSIDE the shrine and CLOSE the door.

Seriously dude Her death was some extreme B.S. IT would have been more plausible for her legs to shock her to death or something.

And really, she cant be that heavy that Kai cant pick her up, seriously now come on.

NOW I can see if none of the stuff in the show happened and it was like the first episode and this is the first weird thing to have happened. but at THIS point in the story. . .

No. Just. . .No.

If they wanted to show that the exoskeleton was THAT strong, or that he couldnt call for help, or that the thing would have used Kai's weight against him, whatever. ..They should have SHOWN THAT!

Show! dont tell. In this case, the creators did neither.

Pretty much if most of the viewers are saying "hey wtf is that why didn't he help her" and calling bullshit on that death scene, then the creators have done something wrong.

If someone has to speculate that "maybe he couldn't because of x, x, and x" in reaction to the above wtf, then the creators have done something wrong.

That was one of the most contrived, stupid, unplausible deaths I have ever seen in a medium. It was that bad.

Edit: actually now that I've thought about it, this episode was actually pretty bad, the monopoles all of a sudden raining from the sky, the fact that all of a sudden the robot is done, Someone as Subaru Running NEXT to the damn robot in windy weather, when they should have put the damn robot in the hangar once hearing about it being "off" while walking; the weather didn't really have to have much to do with that, any engineer would have put it back in the hangar and inspected in again, rather than KEEP it running AND stay next to it.

just a whole episode of "Hey, that's B.S." after I watched it.

Last edited by CJ_Walker; 2013-02-08 at 12:23.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 12:38   Link #964
Gundamx

For details info (like monopoles) than read VN since most people those days don't like info...( that why they skip some parts.)
+
2- you saw how her leg let her stand up right?
so if he carry her away = there high chance that the leg will kick him...
don't to mention that they are heavy plus he don't have time to think.

Also many people stop thinking when something like that happened in front of them and when they finally manage to react 90% if times they end up doing something stupid...

real life example:
What happened when there is someone who randomly shoot fire in the middle of streets?
*some scream while gun man fire at nearby people>>> start fire at them
*some run away in middle of streets without any cover>>> dead
*some even just run and let their wife & childern in line fire to save themselves...

How many people (not cops) try to stop him like video games?
None....
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 13:01   Link #965
Midonin
Last Engage

R;N 16 - Endless Sky, Endless Dream

After so many episodes of work, it's wonderful to see Gunvarrel getting up and running. Akiko's determination to give it a face shows why I love her. GB-2 may function like a real robot, but it's built with the heart of a super robot! And that heart may end up saving the world at one point, because that ending... it ties in with the technological theme that's been present throughout the entire Science Adventure series, and was pretty heartbreaking to watch. Whatever's in that report must be serious news. The end of this episode kinda reminded me of a technological version of The Red Shoes. There's still six episodes left, so plenty of time for things to happen beyond here - and this is surely a catalyst towards that.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 13:01   Link #966
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
IMO The idea of an artificial mecha legs that can push a boy at his full strength while at the same time able to balance itself under the weight of an adult woman is already ridiculous to begin with. Tbh, I can't stop facepalming during that "mad legs" scene to the point that I almost laugh when Mizuka finally fell to her death. Almost.
I think it's plausible enough technology for 2020.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 13:21   Link #967
sikvod00

So is it reasonable to assume the green indicator for the 7th report is a trap of some sort?
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 13:35   Link #968
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I think it's plausible enough technology for 2020.
Maybe, maybe not. As for me, I don’t think higher-tech will easily brush off the most apparent issue of it: balance. An AI mecha legs balancing itself when the user’s body is cooperative I can understand. But not when the user is struggling against the legs with the help from a young man no less. Despite all that, the mecha legs can lift its user’s body by itself and continue moving forwards like-a-boss .
Old 2013-02-08, 13:47   Link #969
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
So is it reasonable to assume the green indicator for the 7th report is a trap of some sort?
No, I guess it happened because (and when) she picked up a "phone call". Actually I believe that this trap was for Kai in the 1st place (and was activated in the area he was standing).
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 13:57   Link #970
Gundamx

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. As for me, I don’t think higher-tech will easily brush off the most apparent issue of it: balance. An AI mecha legs balancing itself when the user’s body is cooperative I can understand. But not when the user is struggling against the legs with the help from a young man no less. Despite all that, the mecha legs can lift its user’s body by itself and continue moving forwards like-a-boss .
Unless the company that made it plan to use all robot as tool to control the world > so there is high chance that they made it like that from the beginning.
Though they keep it secret from consumer.
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 14:32   Link #971
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

hmm, she's dead? no more info can be gotten out of her?

not really, there's always the basement under the store that was always shown.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 14:53   Link #972
ookamigirl

GunPro-2 is finally ready for testing. About time too.
Yashio as the pilot was a success.
Looks like those weird Monopoles came in handy.
So far it was better than the previous version.
It even looked cool through their Poke Com.
Kai looking for Kimijima Report No. 7, but they're on to him.
That's not good in any way, he's getting to close to the truth.
Mizuka payed the price for that...

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 17:32   Link #973
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
Unless the company that made it plan to use all robot as tool to control the world > so there is high chance that they made it like that from the beginning.
Though they keep it secret from consumer.
Whether they planned it ahead or not is irrelevant to me. For me, there's no way a replacement legs can lift two people by itself (Kai & Mizuka who were laying down). Not to mention that the legs also need to balance itself which is not (supposed to be) an easy feat. But the mecha legs did all of that almost effortlessly.
Old 2013-02-08, 17:51   Link #974
Dr. Casey

I dunno, how much do you actually know about prosthetics technology? You might be right, but just because something seems too crazy to be true doesn't mean it actually is impossible. There's a lot of times where, whenever you look into a certain technology you haven't read up on for a while, it's more advanced than you realized and capable of doing more impressive things than you would have imagined.
Old 2013-02-08, 17:56   Link #975
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post

Pretty much if most of the viewers are saying "hey wtf is that why didn't he help her" and calling bullshit on that death scene, then the creators have done something wrong.
from my pov. I don't see any problem on that scene. Kai tried to help her but the super exoskeleton leg frame just over powered them both super for being just a replacement leg

The real problem for me on this episode is the whole robot building that was skip and the whole monopole raining which was suddenly said out of no where. The robot hijacking was already hinted before, heck they even had robot rebellion of house robot cleaner that turn against them which..... the police just let them barge in >_> without even shooting or dispatching them <_<

Some are pretty sketchy scenes but they consistent to the mystery so I don't have problems on them. My problems is they tried to do the whole mystery thing and keep it in secret while the whole robot club has happy ambiance to the problem. Ignorance is a bliss and the mixing of two different mood gives a mood whiplash to me.
Old 2013-02-08, 18:09   Link #976
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Whether they planned it ahead or not is irrelevant to me. For me, there's no way a replacement legs can lift two people by itself (Kai & Mizuka who were laying down). Not to mention that the legs also need to balance itself which is not (supposed to be) an easy feat. But the mecha legs did all of that almost effortlessly.
You do realize it's a world where monopoles rains from the skies, high school kids builds giant robots, and where you can create a time machine with just a cellphone, microwave, and a CRT TV?

and you're worried about an advanced exoskeleton unit?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 18:19   Link #977
Dr. Casey

There's a time machine in this story? D:

Where have I been?
Old 2013-02-08, 18:33   Link #978
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I dunno, how much do you actually know about prosthetics technology? You might be right, but just because something seems too crazy to be true doesn't mean it actually is impossible. There's a lot of times where, whenever you look into a certain technology you haven't read up on for a while, it's more advanced than you realized and capable of doing more impressive things than you would have imagined.
IMO for a prosthetic legs to do that is impossible unless Mizuka is entirely mechanical from the waist down (like the Terminator), but alas that’s not the case. Thus, I don’t think the the prosthetic legs will have enough power to bounce two people lying down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
You do realize it's a world where monopoles rains from the skies, high school kids builds giant robots, and where you can create a time machine with just a cellphone, microwave, and a CRT TV?

and you're worried about an advanced exoskeleton unit?
Highschool kids from the future building giant robot is fine with me. Monopoles just raining down from the sky is ridiculous yes, I never said that it wasn't. I just didn't bother to address it. Time machine is not in this specific anime (even though it's in the same universe), so don't mention it. But prosthetic legs doing what is physically impossible (IMO) just bother me. Hey, I'm allowed to voice my opinion, right?
Old 2013-02-08, 21:09   Link #979
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Good thing Version 2 walks smoothly, though now they lost their place. Wonder where sensei disappeared to. The wind was an honest giveaway to not run the test, hope Subaru jumped out in time. Not sure why report 7 appeared the second time. I was crying in pain when Mizuka was forced to stand up. Though wouldn't a side tackle and keep her on her side stop it from moving like it had.
Old 2013-02-08, 21:28   Link #980
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
There's a time machine in this story? D:

Where have I been?
It's the same world as Steins;Gate, Nae herself is a character from S;G, and Kurisu (or rather, a 2ch post by her) has also made an appearance. The Committee of 300 in R;N is the same one that was behind SERN in S;G as well.

Quote:
IMO for a prosthetic legs to do that is impossible unless Mizuka is entirely mechanical from the waist down (like the Terminator), but alas that’s not the case. Thus, I don’t think the the prosthetic legs will have enough power to bounce two people lying down.

Highschool kids from the future building giant robot is fine with me. Monopoles just raining down from the sky is ridiculous yes, I never said that it wasn't. I just didn't bother to address it. Time machine is not in this specific anime (even though it's in the same universe), so don't mention it. But prosthetic legs doing what is physically impossible (IMO) just bother me. Hey, I'm allowed to voice my opinion, right?
First, it's not a prosthetic leg, it's an exoskeleton unit. Whether what it did was possible depends on the weight of the unit itself and how powerful it is. I think you're seriously underestimating the power of those type of units, even in their current state (at least those in development for military applications), where injury to the user through incompatible range of motion is a very real issue during design.

TBH, the giant robot is the more unrealistic of the two from an engineering point of view.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction