AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 37 36.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 37.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 16.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 6.86%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.94%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-29, 02:26   Link #101
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
The trip was also totally mishandled by Touka. She already enlisted Yuuta so she won't have to deal with Rikka as much, but she's still handling the situation very poorly, and at the end she's just beating up Rikka once again. It was good that Yuuta steeped in to stop the beating, who knows how long Touka would've still continued it.
Understandably, Rikka can't bear it anymore and runs away. It's good that Yuuta went after her and consoled her, before she could have a breakdown or do something stupid.
I hope the relationship between Rikka and Yuuta gets ever more intense, Rikka really deserves it after all her hardship. More time with Yuuta means also she's away from Touka more, which is just all the better for Rikka.
Ehh.... I agree that Touka isn't handling the situation with Rikka as well as she could (but it's not like life comes with a manual on how to handle teenagers, particularly when she's been thrust into this guardian role unprepared). But, I don't think I would portray Touka's actions as "beatings" though. Rikka is absolutely not a "battered child", and she is not under any sort of physical threat.

The main "battle" going on here is really emotional -- a struggle between Rikka's escapist self-fiction and Touka's cold hard reality. Yuuta's approach is more of a middle ground that reflects the fact that everyone grieves differently, and that forcing Rikka to grow up is only going to push her away or cause her to withdraw further. Yuuta isn't trying to pry Rikka away from Touka, but to help her ultimately reconcile with her and with reality. He's being the mediator that can see both sides of the issue, but is siding a bit more with Rikka for obvious reasons.
Old 2012-11-30, 03:06   Link #102
Itlandm
Porcupine

As far as we know, Touka only hits Rikka when Rikka does something crazy. Touka is not a mother, she is a sister who Rikka picks fights with. Sibling fights are quite natural. (I believe I was 15 when I stopped picking fights with my brother who was 6 years older than me, so it certainly seems natural to me.) And Rikka prefers to live with her sister rather than her grandparents.

And I still think it is possible that Touka was planning for Rikka and Yuuta to get together, although she may want them to be just friends. We will see soon how that plays out, I guess.
Old 2012-11-30, 12:27   Link #103
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
As far as we know, Touka only hits Rikka when Rikka does something crazy. Touka is not a mother, she is a sister who Rikka picks fights with. Sibling fights are quite natural.
Touka is not a mother, but as an adult woman in charge of a minor she does have the responibilities of a parent. Her relationship with Rikka is not at all a normal sibling relationship, their issues run far deeper than the usual "Get outta my room!" crap. As for Rikka picking fights with her, I haven't seen that - all I'm seeing is Touka getting pissed at her for not doing things "the Touka way".

I don't see Rikka as an abuse victim, though, and I don't think Touka is "beating" her. The fight in this episode was a special case, and while I do think Touka crossed the line especially with the kick, I don't think she's generally abusive. She could probably be a little less harsh and emotionally cold, though.

Quote:
And Rikka prefers to live with her sister rather than her grandparents.
Unless I am forgetting something, we don't know why Rikka moved from her grandparents' place to Touka's. I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate it was Touka's idea. She seemed regretful at having had to leave Rikka behind before, so I'm thinking she wanted to take the opportunity to take care of Rikka once she was done with education and had got herself a job. Since Rikka doesn't get along with her grandfather (I'd like to learn a little more about that, by the way), I imagine all parties would agree with this.

Quote:
And I still think it is possible that Touka was planning for Rikka and Yuuta to get together, although she may want them to be just friends. We will see soon how that plays out, I guess.
"Touka planned their meeting all along!" or something like that? I for one really hope they don't go there.
Old 2012-11-30, 13:26   Link #104
Itlandm
Porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
"Touka planned their meeting all along!" or something like that? I for one really hope they don't go there.
Yet it seems awfully convenient that Touka has a recording of Dark Flame Master, especially when Touka supposedly dislikes everything Chuunibyou.

Well, if this is original KyoAni material and not in the novel, we may never find out. We are already near the end, after all. Although if Rikka and Yuuta pair up before the end of the last episode, Touka will surely be shown to react in some way.
Old 2012-11-30, 13:36   Link #105
Sumeragi
Banned

Touka is an anime original character.
Old 2012-11-30, 13:56   Link #106
Goggen

Quote:
Yet it seems awfully convenient that Touka has a recording of Dark Flame Master, especially when Touka supposedly dislikes everything Chuunibyou.
Oh, I don't know... If you had a neighbour who was constantly yelling insanities into the night from his balcony, wouldn't you record it for a laugh?
Old 2012-11-30, 19:46   Link #107
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Touka is an anime original character.
wait what?

would someone please enlighten me, who isn't an anime original character in the show?
Old 2012-11-30, 19:50   Link #108
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
would someone please enlighten me, who isn't an anime original character in the show?
Probably not really a spoiler, but
Spoiler for Novel characters:
Old 2012-12-01, 13:47   Link #109
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
It's popularized from the movie Taxi Driver (1976) starring Robert De Niro. Travis (played by De Niro) uses that in one of the coolest scenes ever in that movie. You can search Youtube for "Taxi Driver sleeve gun."

There's even a how to build it yourself video
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/201...he-sleeve-gun/
I was wondering if anyone else noticed that. I was surprised that a reference to Taxi Driver appeared in Chuunibyou of all places.
Old 2012-12-01, 14:14   Link #110
Ingram

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
I was wondering if anyone else noticed that. I was surprised that a reference to Taxi Driver appeared in Chuunibyou of all places.
I don't know if you can call it a Taxi Driver reference. I haven't seen Taxi Driver, but I have seen that sort of device in other anime/manga/live-action products. IIRC, Rally Vincent has used it in one form or another of Gunsmith Cats. I'm not recalling any other specific instances at the moment. Maybe it could be a reference of a reference? ^^ Maybe someone at KyoAni will explain. ^^;
Old 2012-12-01, 17:36   Link #111
inisipis

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sleeve-gun in this show is indeed a direct reference to Taxi Driver. The character Travis himself is suffering a delusional perception of him being a righteous hero out to save the innocent and rid the world of evil, except that he's just a late night shift taxi driver trying to remain indifferent to the evils that he sees.

Though clearly not crazy, the famous "You Talking to Me?!..." scene clearly depicts his state of mind as he tries out his new gadget. I think this is fine example of how the idea of a Chuunibyou could turn in a worst way.
Old 2012-12-01, 17:59   Link #112
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
Oh, I don't know... If you had a neighbour who was constantly yelling insanities into the night from his balcony, wouldn't you record it for a laugh?
I'll file for a complaint and have him kick out of the apartment. You can't sleep well and can't enjoy the night shows...
Old 2012-12-01, 21:35   Link #113
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Ehh.... I agree that Touka isn't handling the situation with Rikka as well as she could (but it's not like life comes with a manual on how to handle teenagers, particularly when she's been thrust into this guardian role unprepared). But, I don't think I would portray Touka's actions as "beatings" though. Rikka is absolutely not a "battered child", and she is not under any sort of physical threat.
My, how awfully convenient to put your head in the sand if there's something you don't want to see
We've already seen in other episodes that Touka is beating Rikka with a laddle - which is even worse than just beating her with her hands.
Point is, Touka is apparently a violent person. It looks like all her grief turned into aggression, resulting in violent acts directed at Rikka. We can see from Rikka frequently escaping from Touka, and from strongly antagonising her, that the beatings (barehanded and with the ladle) apparently *aren't* isolated occurences but apparently rather frequent. Rikka would've no reason for her frequent escapes (e.g. escaping by rope from the balcony) if that wasn't the case and Touka would always treat her fairly.
Old 2013-12-12, 17:04   Link #114
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

Closed Thread