AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

Old 2008-02-24, 13:30   Link #41
critnal

about the end

please forgive me if this is mentioned elsewhere but it's late and i'm dying to know

Spoiler for after the credits roll:
critnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 20:17   Link #42
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by critnal View Post
please forgive me if this is mentioned elsewhere but it's late and i'm dying to know

Spoiler for after the credits roll:
In a word: no.
Old 2008-02-24, 22:12   Link #43
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
In a word: no.

Give us some slack, the game ending at least hints at that. =/
Old 2008-02-25, 13:51   Link #44
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

It does ?

Sure, i would like that, but its more of wishful thinking than anything hinted in the game
Old 2008-02-25, 14:12   Link #45
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
It does ?

Sure, i would like that, but its more of wishful thinking than anything hinted in the game
My mind is fuzzy regarding the ending. But I remember
Spoiler for game end:

Can't remember if any of the other characters reacted similarly. I think Urutori had something, too, when she was looking at the moon.
Old 2008-02-25, 14:38   Link #46
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
My mind is fuzzy regarding the ending. But I remember
Spoiler for game end:

Can't remember if any of the other characters reacted similarly. I think Urutori had something, too, when she was looking at the moon.
Spoiler for game end:
Old 2008-02-26, 03:16   Link #47
Lynx190
Keine is moo.

I've been trying to beat Hard 5, and I am completely stuck on Suwonkas... well not exactly stuck, because I should be able to beat it, but it requires nearly perfect luck with enemies comboing and depleting their special gauge or not doing so, depending on the situation... so it takes me probably 30 tries just to get through the first wave of enemies, then something always goes wrong in the second wave; the biggest problem is the second wave has randomized elements, which changes the AI behavior each time so I can't memorize a strategy. I've been trying to take out the two groups separately by sacrificing Aruru to block the left side for a short time, but lately I keep getting a water swordsman on the right who completely ignores Hakuoro and Karura at the bottom of the stairs and homes in on Aruru, so the two groups just join up and hit me all at once.

I've made it to attempting to fight Suwonkas twice, the first time I had already lost Eruru so I just charged him, Touka's special attack didn't do enough damage, and Hakuoro promptly died. The second time I had everyone but Aruru left and at full health... I stopped and analyzed it and spent probably half an hour thinking things through, then when I broke the barrier I instantly lost because Suwonkas moved to the one square that was too far for Touka to reach and kill him, then both Suwonkas and an archer got two turns before Karura could even move and she died (thanks to them both comboing despite already depleting their gauge previously... otherwise she would have survived and I would have won immediately afterwards).

Having to keep Karura alive on Hard 5 is just complete bull... this battle would be no problem if I didn't have to deal with that. I'm sure I've spent close to 20 hours just on this stupid fight... I'm tempted to redo the last battle and see if I can get Touka more BP (although she already got most of the kills when I beat it before)... if she had even 1 more attack, I could probably eliminate one or more of the luck factors in dealing with the first wave (she keeps coming up just short of killing this one archer if his vitality is still maxed)... but if I get new elements this time, I'll have to redo my strategy anyway, which I really don't want to do.

EDIT: Took a break to play Touhou cause the heel of my mouse hand was getting extremely sore, went back right before going to bed and after only a few immediate reloads, finally beat it. Nearly blew it at the end when I decided to just kill the archers and beat him down instead of burning Touka's special... he killed Eruru then stuck himself in the corner where the stairs widen from 4 squares to 5 (so only 2 characters could attack), and I blocked Touka out from attacking him... beat him with Karura at 13 HP and Hakuoro at 38 HP

Last edited by Lynx190; 2008-02-26 at 16:56.
Lynx190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 02:38   Link #48
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Personally, I pump all the points I possibly can into Karura's attack. She has enough HP to take out a small army by herself before dying once her attack gets into the 80's or 90's. Personally, I maxed out her attack by the 20th level or so. I am not exaggerating when I say she can hit 900+ when you get her final finisher combo. I purposely failed levels with lots of enemies just to get experience, since you retain it all when you click "yes" to continuing after getting a game-over.

Assuming you can get his combos down (which is really challenging, believe me), Oboro is about the third most powerful character, behind Karura and Touka. Genjimaru has insane power too, but he doesn't stay with you forever. In general with all the secondary characters, such as Genjimaru or Derihourai, put everything into attack. It makes a big difference, I've noticed in critical battles. The more damage your characters do, the more experience they get. It's really handy going up a level when you're low on health because you automatically heal when you gain a level. And the more damage you do, the more expereince you get, so you get levels faster.
Old 2008-02-27, 03:47   Link #49
Lynx190
Keine is moo.

Well I'm playing without any retries, so my characters don't have huge HP totals... and so on Hard 5 Karura is dying in two combo attacks from neutral element enemies (just barely, an extra level depending on the enemies might make enough difference). Anyway, I don't even bother using Karura unless I have to, she's horribly slow and enemies constantly get two turns in to her one. And having her survival required for the battle (which causes the AI to target her instead of just Hakuoro) makes it impossible to use her agressively at all.

In general, I find Oboro far more useful; by the time I get Karura, Oboro already has better attack and tech than her, and his fast turn speed is oh so useful on high difficulties. When it comes to special attacks I just use Alt to auto-combo, it only hurts damage on the normal combo hits, not the special itself.... so that isn't a problem for me with him (more the fact that you need 1600 BP to max his tech, blech). A large part of the reason that battle was killing me was because I didn't have Oboro, Dorii, or Kurou (well Kurou doesn't really become that good for me until the Shikeripecim arc). The whole first half of Hard 5, Dorii accounted for a huge percentage of my damage (Oboro providing most of the rest), with only one upgrade needed for his special.

It seems like it almost must be a bug, but I realized that Touka gets starting stats equal to those she had in the bridge battle... so on Hard 5 she starts with 49 attack, 54 defense, and 76!! magic defense (along with maxed tech of course)... which makes her insanely good. It says 26/26/29 on the selection screen in the first Na Tunk battle, but then they change when you get into battle. Unfortunately she didn't have enough battles yet to be quite able to do everything by herself in the Suwonkas battle. I've noticed Benawi and Kurou have the right stats, but the first selection screen with them shows them with maxed tech (before it adjusts to 2 in battle); also they seem to start with BP from killing your characters in previous battles... so there definitely seems to be some weirdness with how the character data is stored (and modified) when they go from enemies to allies.
Old 2008-02-27, 11:08   Link #50
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx190 View Post
Well I'm playing without any retries, so my characters don't have huge HP totals... and so on Hard 5 Karura is dying in two combo attacks from neutral element enemies (just barely, an extra level depending on the enemies might make enough difference). Anyway, I don't even bother using Karura unless I have to, she's horribly slow and enemies constantly get two turns in to her one. And having her survival required for the battle (which causes the AI to target her instead of just Hakuoro) makes it impossible to use her agressively at all.
Nice. Hard 5 is insane. I had enough trouble in 4, but 5 is nigh impossbile to get through without retries. You shouldn't use the Alt or Shift tricks if you're going for awards, though. It won't work.

The real reason I like Karura is because she has solo'd most of the bosses for me, with ONE ATTACK.

I like Aruruu's special. Even though in general she's only good for acting as a wall for Eruruu or Hakuoro, her special has a cool animation.
Old 2008-02-27, 12:54   Link #51
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
You shouldn't use the Alt or Shift tricks if you're going for awards, though. It won't work.
Hmm? I don't see anything in the title requirements about not using the shift trick...
Old 2008-02-27, 12:56   Link #52
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Hmm? I don't see anything in the title requirements about not using the shift trick...
It refers to using the divine power of being able to use all your party members, I believe. The "diving power" might be Alt, though. I can't be sure. But if you're playing on Hard difficulty, it would suck if you went through all that only to have nothing to show for it.
Old 2008-02-27, 14:01   Link #53
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
It refers to using the divine power of being able to use all your party members, I believe. The "diving power" might be Alt, though. I can't be sure. But if you're playing on Hard difficulty, it would suck if you went through all that only to have nothing to show for it.
Oh, no, no. The shift trick is just a bug. The "no divine power" requirement refers to not using the PIECE thing in the Omake section, which is a moot point for most of us anyway.
Old 2008-02-27, 14:06   Link #54
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Oh, no, no. The shift trick is just a bug. The "no divine power" requirement refers to not using the PIECE thing in the Omake section, which is a moot point for most of us anyway.
Oooooooh, okay, well that makes sense. I doubt anyone here would have the PIECE stuff to go with it, anyway.
Old 2008-02-27, 16:54   Link #55
Lynx190
Keine is moo.

"Divine power" is P/ECE, and "without pausing" means without retries, and are banned for certain titles because either of those could be used to inflate stats or kill totals beyond what you'd get in a straight playthrough.

There's not a chance in hell I'm playing Hard 5 without using Alt to execute specials, considering that you have to do things pretty much perfectly I'd have to restart every single time I failed at a special... which would be probably 99% of the time. The tutorial even tells you about using it, it's not a glitch/cheat like Shift. Plus I absolutely hate strategy games putting twitch gaming elements in, nothing like having your carefully planned strategy ruined because your reflexes aren't good enough. My Utawarerumono might also be running faster than it's supposed to; I never had the problems others have where the game is running at hyperspeed, but recently I left another program running while I was playing and the battle speed slowed down drastically, so it seems that the game is highly sensitive to your computer's speed (seriously wtf, I thought only ancient games were made like that)
Old 2008-02-27, 17:55   Link #56
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx190 View Post
I never had the problems others have where the game is running at hyperspeed, but recently I left another program running while I was playing and the battle speed slowed down drastically, so it seems that the game is highly sensitive to your computer's speed (seriously wtf, I thought only ancient games were made like that)
I don't seem to be getting anything of the sort. My framerate remains constant all the time, and my PC would certainly prove sufficient in pulling such a stunt. Probably a problem on your side, though i can't really offer any help in dealing with it - not something i had ever looked in to.
Old 2008-02-27, 18:40   Link #57
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Spoiler for game end:
That's wrong. It's not "definite", but you should watch the epilogue again.
Old 2008-02-28, 19:32   Link #58
Lynx190
Keine is moo.

does anyone have any clue what factors in to the time limit on the damn invincible Avu Kamuu battle?

My initial attempts on Hard 3 I scattered all my characters and destroyed all the barriers for BP then ran around as long as I could, and eventually lost. Then I tried just destroying single holes in the ends of the center wall for Oboro to try running in circles around, while the rest of my characters just sat there and futilely attacked.... The AI is too good though and just went both ways to cut Oboro off, but then the battle suddenly ended before they could kill him, way way WAY earlier than my previous attempts. I concluded that attacking the Avu Kamuu shortens the timer (especially considering some of the things that the characters say when they attack).

But now on Hard 5 I'm just stuck... first I combined my earlier strategies and both attacked the Avu Kamuu while also destroying the barriers for BP, but I lost just like my earliest attempts. So I concluded:

1) The timer might be totally random (probably not)
2) Hard 5 has a longer timer and/or you have to attack the Avu Kamuu more
3) Destroying the barriers lengthens the timer

But then I tried destroying minimal barriers, attacking the Avu Kamuu as much as possible while making them waste as much time as possible running back and forth between targets, then running Oboro around as long as I could at the end... and I STILL lost. I also thought maybe you have to make sure you attack each individual Avu Kamuu enough times and tried scattering my attacks between them, and still no good.

The last thing I can try doing is not destroying a single barrier and see what happens. Also maybe the timing of the destruction of the allied barriers might matter... I really don't have a clue.
Old 2008-02-28, 21:59   Link #59
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Wow, you lost that battle? I didn't think it was possible to do that unless you suicide rushed them. In any case, yes, running around is a good idea, but when I played I generally kept Oboro pretty close, then when they took a step forward, I retreated him, them sent say Touka toward them a little bit, staying just barely outside they range. It's essential to keep a VERY close eye on the turns for this strategy, but in theory you can keep them occupied forever like this.

All the other characters I either sacrificed as bait or kept in the far four corners of the map. However, Im afraid I also don't know what affects the time limit. I just keep running. That, ironically enough, was the only level on Hard levels 3 and 4 that I didn't have to do twice. Don't bother fighting and run like a squirrel. However, make sure to destroy the rock next to Guraa and Dorii so they can be free to run as well. I typically task Oboro with this since he's close and have great attack power. Otherwise, they'll get trapped like rats and slaughtered, no matter how strong they are (though that goes for all characters in this battle).

On a completely different note, in the battle where Dii first showed up, I solo'ed both him and his general/lackey (that secondary boss guy whose name I don't remember) with Karura. I used her special combo and hit for over 1000 damage on each of them. I love how her Vitality meter builds up so fast. I mean, her power is unstoppable once she's on the attack. I have her attack and technique maxed out at level 20 this time around. It is endlessly fun because I allow myself to retry levels. Awards don't matter to me. Just pwnage, lol.
Old 2008-02-29, 01:49   Link #60
Lynx190
Keine is moo.

well I just beat it not destroying any barriers until near the end when Oboro broke a hole in the end of the wall to try to escape. I didn't really buy that much time, except when they broke off attacking Touka to go all the way to the opposite side to chase Oboro, who then died after I moved the wrong distance... then it ended while they were on the way to Touka. So attacking them definitely doesn't seem to help (I didn't attack a single time even if I could, just to make sure). I have to just guess then that destroying the barriers hurts you since it certainly took less time than other attempts.

Tags
bishoujo, ero-game, eroge, game patch, leaf, pc game, rpg, translation, visual novel