AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 52 60.47%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 26.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 11.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-15, 10:49   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Higurashi Episode 20 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Higurashi no Naku Koroni, Episode 20.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Game or Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Game / Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR Higurashi no Naku Koroni
  • Make sure you read the English wikipedia article for Higurashi no Naku Koroni before you ask questions!!!
  • Feel free to utilize the info on the TIPS section as a complement to this series.
  • Feel free to share your theories and speculations. In fact, I encourage you to do so as this is what makes this series interesting.
  • I am designating Sushi-Y and Freakman to lead the discussion in the correct path without spoilers as they have played the game in advance. I put confidence in them that they will recognize a member has spilled the beans too far if any other members has begun to play the game.
  • SPOILERS FAR ADVANCED THAN THE CURRENT AIRED ANIME EPISODE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. THIS INCLUDES THOSE IN SPOILER TAGS!!!. People tend to peek at spoiler tags; especially when they do not know such tag is meant for the episode, only to find it spilling the beans too far advanced in the game storyline.
Old 2006-08-15, 23:46   Link #2
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Thumbs up

Wow. Excellent episode...and the production quality wasn't bad, either. Almost like going back to Onikakushi's quality, I thought (though still no creepy slit-eyes...sigh). I forgot this wasn't the last episode in the arc, though, so I was pretty frustrated with where it left off...

Spoiler:

Can't wait for next episode! And to hear what the folks who've experienced the sound novel think of the adaptation this time.
Old 2006-08-16, 00:17   Link #3
Rasuberi
Give me things to draw!!!

Send a message via AIM to Rasuberi
The Rika scene was pretty amazing. ^__^; I can't seem to stop saying "I can't wait to read the sound novel even more now" with all these scenes... gaah.

I'm terribly happy the production value was at least... higher than last episode. I reaaally hope the next episode has some quality from the first arcs... I don't want any lessening of the greatness I know it should be.

And goodness, I just have so much difficulty in choosing the order I like characters now. The only one I can say without any doubt to be on the top of the list is Mion... but really, Rika, Rena, Shion, and Satoko are so lovable. I get the feeling I'll like Satoko more next episode? *tear* I remember the days I hated Rika... *slowly stabs self crazily*

Old 2006-08-16, 01:27   Link #4
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Awesome episode. Less weird contorting faces and more cute Shion-ness.

So uh, that one part with Rika:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-16, 03:51   Link #5
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai
Awesome episode. Less weird contorting faces and more cute Shion-ness.

So uh, that one part with Rika:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-16, 06:03   Link #6
Eleutheria
旅行癖

Oh, crap, went in knowing what was going to happen, due to the flashback from the second arc, and still got the shivers...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Eleutheria; 2006-08-17 at 09:12.
Old 2006-08-16, 06:14   Link #7
ShadowRift
Aku O Tatsu Tsurugi

Ugh, yeah... even though they showed that part in the second arc, it was still pretty painful to actually watch.

...but yeah, next episode with Satoko's fate is going to be even worse...
Old 2006-08-16, 14:12   Link #8
USCPharmacist

I don't know if I should post it here, but after seeing Shion and Rika fought, it reminded me of Daybreak. Anyone plays that game here? Will there be translation of the scenerios? Also anyone want to host a game so we in Animesuki can see who can pwn to most, Oyashiro Sama's style!
Old 2006-08-17, 00:05   Link #9
Wanderer
Goat

Another great Higurashi episode, even though my Japanese is only intermediate level and I'll have to wait for the sub to understand it fully.

Rika's metaphors in episode 7 make a lot more sense now.

The Rika/Shion scene was intense. No matter how many times I see it, I just can't get used to Rika and her knife. The syringe was also quite a tantalizing surprise. A clue for Onikakushi-hen?

I'm not sure that I buy into the idea that Rika suicides just to avoid physical pain. I think she's stronger than that. Perhaps she knows that the town will meet disaster if she is Watanagashi'ed. Or maybe she just hates the idea of not having control of her own fate, and would rather die by her own hand than allow the prophecy she made 5 years ago be fulfilled.

Just thinking about the yet unknown, but surely horrible, way Satoko will die next episode... *shudders*
Old 2006-08-17, 00:21   Link #10
MarmoO

Spoiler:

Last edited by MarmoO; 2006-08-17 at 03:37.
Old 2006-08-17, 00:24   Link #11
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Excellent. I gave it a 9/10. Could've hoped for Rika calling out to "XXXX" as she gasps, but since we're not going to Minagoroshi or Matsuribayashi, probably better to leave it out that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I'm not sure that I buy into the idea that Rika suicides just to avoid physical pain.
Getting warmer. But you missed a major point - how on earth would Rika know that Mion's a "torture freak?" There is silent hint there.

Quote:
Perhaps she knows that the town will meet disaster if she is Watanagashi'ed.
(Smile) Let's see what the TIPS will have to say for that after this chapter is over...
Old 2006-08-17, 12:26   Link #12
LostBlue
祭囃子

I saw the EP... I think my expectations were too high. I liked it, just wished the animation would have been better. The Rika scene freaked me out when I played the game since I forgot about the stabbing - I could imagine the people who didn't see the anime prior to playing the game even moreso, b/c it literally came out of nowhere.

I also miss Rika's screaming during her stabbing... It would have been cool, but probably waaaaaaaay too much for Public TV. I mean the stabbing is graphic enough as is.

BTW Rika stabs herself in the throat not the head ^^

My biggest complaint with the Meakashi Hen in general is, it shouldn't be 6 EPs, IMO. I mean I love the chapter (even more so then the next), but Tsumihoroboshi really needs as many EPs as it can get.

Well next EP is going to be good. The best two parts of Meakashi will be fused together for Shion and Satoko fans ^^
Old 2006-08-17, 17:08   Link #13
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Satoko survives and kills K1!

er no wait

Satoshi returns with a pregnant wife!
Old 2006-08-17, 19:50   Link #14
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

It's interesting to watch the anime after clearing Matsuribayashi-hen and the game, it makes you feel bad for all the characters in the previous chapters.

I liked this episode, the pace was slow enough to portray the important scenes properly, especially the scene with Rika in the end there. The injection felt a little sudden though, they could've showed how Shion noticed the syringe and deducted that Rika was trying to harm her with it, before finally deciding to give Rika a "taste of her own medicine".

Next episode, the decisive scene that catapulted Satoko to the top of my favorite characters list. Also happens to be the scene that got me bawling.
Old 2006-08-17, 20:37   Link #15
Kh9

Spoiler for this episode:
Old 2006-08-21, 15:03   Link #16
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Hahahahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai
Satoko survives and kills K1!

er no wait

Satoshi returns with a pregnant wife!
Can you IMAGINE Shion's reaction at the latter?

If a human could be an atomic bomb, it would be Shion at that moment.

And what would be even better is if it was the missing third Sonozaki triplet.

(Yes, I know she doesn't exist but I can dream can't I?)
Old 2006-08-21, 17:01   Link #17
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

That's more like it. I didn't think Meakashi-hen's plot development could still susprise as much as it did in this episode. Great episode which would probably had been even better had we not been spoiled a bit by the first scene of Watanagashi-hen.

Spoiler:

Old 2006-08-21, 18:08   Link #18
havi

very good episode, the 24 minutes passed really quickly and i was on the edge of my seat the entire time. i like how the more you see, the more it blends in with earlier episodes so things make more sense. pretty clever to explain the opening clip of episode 5(? cant remember) like 15 episodes later, considering they're the same chapter.

this show's one of the few this season thats still exciting
Old 2006-08-21, 18:10   Link #19
LostBlue
祭囃子

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Shion seemed kind of surprised by Rika's visit, did she really invite her for that?
Rika's sudden visit wasn't planned. Shion heard the doorbell tried to use the monitor for the hidden surveillance cameras set up around the house but she couldn't figure them out so she went to the door. Shion was quite surprised to find Rika there especially what happen earlier in the day. Shion didn't want to let Rika in, but she insisted. After thinking it over, Shion thought it'll be better for Rika to come inside with her so she could keep an eye on her, rather than having Rika wander around the house while Shion was away filling the bottle.
Old 2006-08-21, 18:21   Link #20
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

So this invitation to drop by to get some soy sauce was not written by Shion then. Interesting. But now that I look at episode 8 it seems it wasn't sent to Rika only as my previous impression, so I guess this is not such an important issue.

Closed Thread