AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-26, 00:43   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 612 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Yep, it's that time of the week again! Credit to aohige for translation, yadda, yadda:

-Title is "Led to by the shark we saved". Splash page is a color spread of the Straw-Hats fighting a shark.

-The chapter starts with a short flashback of Caribou being freed from the barrel and kidnapping the mermaid. It's revealed that he ate the numa numa (swamp) fruit. He's ecstatic about the hostage he caught, as she can fetch him a high price. Meanwhile, the 3 princes are at Madam Shirley's place, and consider the possibility of one of Luffy's crew being responsible for the kidnapping. They decide to take matters to their own hands.....

-Luffy and co. arrive at the Ryuuguu palace. We then learn the whereabouts of the last 3 Straw-Hats: Zoro is already at the palace, drinking booze. Franky is searching the island for the relatives of his old mentor Tom, and Robin apparently went off somewhere to study the island's history. It's then explained that the reason why the island is so brightly lit is because of the "Sunny Tree of Eve", which is related to the Adam tree (which is where Thousand Sunny's wood came from, in case anyone forgot).

-We're finally introduced to the Mermaid Princess, Shirahoshi (a big Sillago mermaid, apparently). She's a large, beautiful mermaid (and amusingly, Luffy actually gropes and even bounces on her boobs! ) It looks like someone seeks to take the princess' life.....

Heh, so we finally got the name of Caribou's fruit, eh? That's an interesting idea for a Logia. Surprisingly, Franky seeking out Tom's family is the highlight of the chapter for me (I wonder if james will be annoyed with Luffy's perverted gag, though....). I think it's pretty obvious that the one after the princess' life is Van der Decken, so we'll probably be introduced to him next chapter. But for now, waiting for the release of this chapter will do.
Old 2011-01-26, 00:49   Link #2
james0246

Franky seeking Tom's family is also the highlight of the spoiler for me (I loved Tom, and the Franky/Iceburg flashback is one of my favourites). And yes, Luffy's gag was a big dead weight for me...Can't wait to see her designs though .
Old 2011-01-26, 00:51   Link #3
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Meanwhile, the 3 princes are at Madam Shirley's place, and consider the possibility of one of Luffy's crew being responsible for the kidnapping. They decide to take matters to their own hands.....

I guess Luffy will wage war with Fisherman Island even though he doesn't want it. . . I hope not ;_;

Old 2011-01-26, 00:57   Link #4
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Luffy INTENTIONALLY doing something perverted? I'd never thought I'd see the day. I wonder just what else Rayleigh might have taught him during those 2 years? =T

Anywho, looks like the Strawhats are gonna make enemies out of the princes as well. This does not bode well.

Interesting how the Adam and Eve trees are referencing the Garden of Eden.

I can only imagine how Zoro got in the palace. Knowing him he probably got lost and ended up there miraculously somehow. xD;
Old 2011-01-26, 01:12   Link #5
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post

I guess Luffy will wage war with Fisherman Island even though he doesn't want it. . . I hope not ;_;

Yep, it looks Caribou's antics are setting the gears of Shirley's prophecy in motion, all right. It's even funnier when you remember that Caribou sorta kinda did "join" the Straw-Hats (true, they were an impostor crew, but still)......

BTW, it would be really cool if Tom himself turned out to be on the island (I know I said some threads back that he probably wouldn't be welcomed by the new regime, but to be completely honest with myself, I just miss the big fella! ) If not, however...... well, I at least look forward to being introduced to his relatives.
Old 2011-01-26, 02:26   Link #6
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

^ How so? I can't even fathom why you'd think a muddy swamp would be similar to gravity/matter manipulating darkness. =/
Old 2011-01-26, 02:28   Link #7
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

^Er..how is it similar? Blackbeard cannot alter his physical form. It hasn't been implied that Caribou's ability nullifies DF powers, or any of the other traits (suction, making matter disappear). Honestly, we don't know enough about Caribou's ability to say for sure, but from what we've seen so far I cannot imagine why you would think it's similair to BB's fruit.
Old 2011-01-26, 06:25   Link #8
noktown

He probably means that a real swamp drowns/sucks(slowly) everything that falls into it,same as Darkness/Black Hole in which everything also disappears,but I'm sure they're not going to have similar effects in the manga.
Old 2011-01-26, 07:15   Link #9
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

^ I don't think so, might possibly be so if you were referring to quicksand and not a swamp. But I can hardly link a swamp with a blackhome
Old 2011-01-26, 10:38   Link #10
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Oh god.

The mermaid princess is CUUUUUUUTE
Old 2011-01-26, 11:06   Link #11
james0246

^She is cute...and she is locked up...me thinks Luffy's setting her free will be the prophesized event...

p.s. she looks like Nami's long lost twin (gigantic) sister...

edit: it seems she is caged so as to protect her from some outside threat...

Last edited by james0246; 2011-01-26 at 14:25.
Old 2011-01-26, 14:14   Link #12
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i know one piece's target audience are kids but still i was hoping oda would at least let luffy grow up a bit. After all that he has been through he is still the same.
Old 2011-01-26, 14:36   Link #13
Rainbowman

Review time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-Title is "Led to by the shark we saved". Splash page is a color spread of the Straw-Hats fighting a shark.
This info I'm confused on.

Quote:
-The chapter starts with a short flashback of Caribou being freed from the barrel and kidnapping the mermaid. It's revealed that he ate the numa numa (swamp) fruit. He's ecstatic about the hostage he caught, as she can fetch him a high price. Meanwhile, the 3 princes are at Madam Shirley's place, and consider the possibility of one of Luffy's crew being responsible for the kidnapping. They decide to take matters to their own hands.....
I guess that Devil Fruit was rather swampy. As for the princes, I hope they realize that it was a misunderstanding.

Quote:
-Luffy and co. arrive at the Ryuuguu palace. We then learn the whereabouts of the last 3 Straw-Hats: Zoro is already at the palace, drinking booze. Franky is searching the island for the relatives of his old mentor Tom, and Robin apparently went off somewhere to study the island's history. It's then explained that the reason why the island is so brightly lit is because of the "Sunny Tree of Eve", which is related to the Adam tree (which is where Thousand Sunny's wood came from, in case anyone forgot).
Zoro: As usual.
Franky: Perhaps he wants to learn more of his old mentor's history.
Robin: As usual.

As for this "Sunny Tree of Eve", I should hope that Fishman Island would not be destroyed because of how precious that tree is.

Quote:
-We're finally introduced to the Mermaid Princess, Shirahoshi (a big Sillago mermaid, apparently). She's a large, beautiful mermaid (and amusingly, Luffy actually gropes and even bounces on her boobs! ) It looks like someone seeks to take the princess' life.....
Questions:

1. What is a Sillago?
2. How does Nami react to Luffy's recent childish action?
Old 2011-01-26, 14:47   Link #14
hero147

Oh...The mermaid princess is really pretty. She does remind me of Nami, though she's HUGE. I guess Sanji won't be getting any action...Lol...
Old 2011-01-26, 14:50   Link #15
mtarzaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Review time:

2. How does Nami react to Luffy's recent childish action?
Irrelevant.

It's how SANJI will react at the sight of such a beautiful "helpless" girl, getting paf-pafed by Luffy, which is of importance here.

And of course, we have to wait for the next chapter...

Old 2011-01-26, 15:02   Link #16
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Chapter's out for those who don't know.

And Luffy's still being Luffy. I am glad.~

It's probably better that Sanji isn't with them. I have a feeling it would be worse than Mermaid Cove. ^^;
Old 2011-01-26, 15:05   Link #17
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

So who is the real enemy in this arc? The fishmen that is preparing to takeover the island once again or the guy that kidnapped the mermaids?
Old 2011-01-26, 15:08   Link #18
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I knew those were breasts before I even saw that last page.

I hope this princess gets a lot of page time, because I really love giant women. I really miss Boa, maybe she'll be a nice temporary replacement.
Old 2011-01-26, 15:15   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a very enjoyable chapter. I love the look of Ryuugu palace. It's good to see that Luffy and the rest of the crew are as cheeky as they used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
p.s. she looks like Nami's long lost twin (gigantic) sister...
So true. She looks exactly like Nami, imo. And yeah, she sure is cute. Not sure Sanji would survive an encounter with her... So, uh, why is the princess a giant whereas her brothers and father are normal?
Old 2011-01-26, 15:44   Link #20
Kallen4life

the sucking people up thing IS similar to BB's fruit, but that's it .. rest are differences

very enjoyable chapter, didn't expect the twist with the princess
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Closed Thread