Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-06, 22:30   Link #141
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Yeah, but wanna bet that if the show was about one guy wanting 100 girls to fuck, no one would care (at least, not as much and in the same way)? Double standards, anyone?
I think in some respects it would have been treated the same. You'd still get the initial responses of "seriously? So it's a series about a guy trying to catch a bunch of STDs?" No doubt there are double standards, but I think a premise like that would get some similar reactions.

Anyways first episode was a good start. Should be entertaining to watch Yamada come up with plots in her head, but fumble them in reality.
Old 2010-04-07, 00:23   Link #142
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

this show is so full of facepalm moments it's a wonder i made it through the end of the first episode. yukarin i guess. will give this one or two more eps...
Seravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 00:44   Link #143
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

Loved episode 1. So far, a hilarious show that jokes about sexual innuendo and yet still seems to have a warm, light-hearted charm about it. And Yamada is just freaking awesome. What's not to love?
Old 2010-04-07, 03:05   Link #144
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I just think it's hilarious that despite how Yamada's always thinking about sex, she clearly knows next to nothing about it.
Spoiler for Episode 1 detailz!:

And just to be clear, I still think Yamada's goal just absolutely shouts "SYPHILIS".

But seriously, I just don't know how to respond to a girl whose dream is to sleep with 100 guys... words just don't suffice. And it's the same for me if it were a guy wanting to sleep with 100 girls. Only difference is in the respective difficulty. I don't think Yamada would have ANY trouble getting a guy to have sex with her, whereas a male equivalent would most likely be a complete loser.
Old 2010-04-07, 10:11   Link #145
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
And just to be clear, I still think Yamada's goal just absolutely shouts "SYPHILIS".

But seriously, I just don't know how to respond to a girl whose dream is to sleep with 100 guys... words just don't suffice. And it's the same for me if it were a guy wanting to sleep with 100 girls. Only difference is in the respective difficulty. I don't think Yamada would have ANY trouble getting a guy to have sex with her, whereas a male equivalent would most likely be a complete loser.
I think almost all culture would view that girl as weird if she manages to convince them that she is SERIOUS about having 100 guys, which Yamada really isn't here and that makes the show easier for the viewers to accept.

What's funny is that I think my female cousins would more readily accept these shows than my male cousin.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 10:25   Link #146
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This is exactly the sort of show that makes right-wing American parents go crazy and demand that anime be banned. I mean - it's played for irony here and if you get anime as a medium and understand the context, it all makes sense. But there's just absolutely no way you could ever explain it to an uptight 44 year-old PTA member from Anytown, USA.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 11:22   Link #147
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
Poor girl doesn't realize her goal is as simple as saying "Lets f**k".
Without getting laughed at in bed.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 12:36   Link #148
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This is exactly the sort of show that makes right-wing American parents go crazy and demand that anime be banned. I mean - it's played for irony here and if you get anime as a medium and understand the context, it all makes sense. But there's just absolutely no way you could ever explain it to an uptight 44 year-old PTA member from Anytown, USA.
Apparently there's someone here on the forums that thinks its just appalling that *I* took a look at it and threw an anti-cookie at me, calling me a "dirty old man". So american-style puritanism comes in all age groups it seems.

In a real sense, the series isn't a lot different than the sexual farce plays and comedies seen over the last 60+ years (particularly those in the '60s). Its just done in the medium of "anime" here...

The first episode was a mixed bag... parts were funny, parts had me going "I've got other things I'd rather be doing". Probationary as to whether I'll go more than a few episodes.
Old 2010-04-07, 16:10   Link #149
Whitespace

Yeah I'd agree it's currently a toss up, not really sure I like it or not.

That aside can anyone recommend a group to follow for this show?

Reasons why to choose/skip over $x group would be appreciated.
Whitespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 16:47   Link #150
Trypanosome

Random translator just passing by.

Up to date, three groups have released: CoalGuys, UTW, and Doki.

CoalGuys' version honestly isn't bad. The translation is fundamentally accurate (within limits of dynamic equivalence), and they're fast. They do, however, leave much of the signs untranslated, and the script is riddled with grammatical errors. Plus, there were one or two lines I remember just being outright trollish: not saying I didn't enjoy them, but it just shows a lack of seriousness. Overall, I sensed a lack of effort in their work. I'll probably continue to watch theirs simply because they're first, though.

UTW... they're a new group. Their inexperience shows in the fact that their initial release wasn't properly styled, and they're the only group that v2'ed their first release. However, their v2 version, I have to say, is really quite nice, and contains softsubbed karaoke. The translation is, in my opinion, the best of the three (dynamic equivalence, but somewhat more literal than CoalGuys): diction could be better in a couple of lines but that's just me being picky. They also typesetted many of the signs in the episode. What I liked most about them, however, is the high-quality encode and that everything was softsubbed, even the typesetting. All in all, a very promising new group.

Doki by far translated more of the signs than the other two groups, had them nicely typesetted, and their OP and ED also included the Japanese lyrics on top of the romaji and English translation. The translation, however, was erratic. They took the more literal route: sometimes the translations were spot on, and sometimes it was just wrong. The OP and ED translations were particularly bad. The editing was even worse, and imo is what really let the group down. What I disliked most about their release, however, was the hardsubbed karaoke and typesetting, but that's probably just a personal thing. The fact that they're also the slowest of the three to release really isn't helping their case.

For now, I think I'll watch CoalGuy's version for their speed, and archive UTW's version for their raw. I'll probably wait a couple more episodes to see how the groups fare in subsequent episodes, however.

Last edited by Trypanosome; 2010-04-07 at 17:04.
Trypanosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 17:08   Link #151
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Hmm... I'm 48 and wondering if you're claiming that those young folks wouldn't understand... or if you think someone that old couldn't get the difference between a comedic "goal" and a real one

Why in my day, we had to watch our anime via two tin cups and a REALLY long string
Old 2010-04-07, 17:15   Link #152
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Hmm... I'm 48 and wondering if you're claiming that those young folks wouldn't understand... or if you think someone that old couldn't get the difference between a comedic "goal" and a real one

Why in my day, we had to watch our anime via two tin cups and a REALLY long string
Look out or we'll start pulling out the "sex comedies" of the 1960s (which most of this stuff derives from... really, the only difference is the animation and the cultural splash).

Example: Jerry Lewis, "The Ladies' Man" (1961) -- the ancestor of harem comedy. Rent it, its from when Jerry was actually funny.
Old 2010-04-07, 19:13   Link #153
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post

I'm no kid either, so I think it isn't only a question of age. If you're older but understand the tropes at play, you'd get what this anime is trying to do (and pretty effectively, I'd judge). If you're an older person with no exposure to otaku culture except a vague generational disgust at what your kid seems to like, reading the summary "15 year-old girl enters high school looking to find 100 fuck buddies" would pretty much be the end of the cultural curiosity and the start of the tea party.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 11:25   Link #154
ReddyRedWolf

Spoiler for ep 2:

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2010-04-08 at 13:28.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 13:03   Link #155
tsunade666

he he he

last season I watch a underwear maniac girl now I'm watching a girl that deams of 100 sex buddies..........................

Is it just me or every season its just getting creppier and creppier for me.

Well its a good first episode I enjoyed it and I really love the op song.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 13:32   Link #156
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
he he he

last season I watch a underwear maniac girl now I'm watching a girl that deams of 100 sex buddies..........................
Somehow I think Kiyono and Yamada would be swell together to a point. Yamada is after all a B-cup while Kiyono is A-cup to her frustration. But Yamada could sympathize as she gets frustrated with F-cup girls.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 13:36   Link #157
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for Black Hole 02 - Bikini Holiday:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 15:56   Link #158
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

Episode 2 was good

lmao I swear Mayu is Kobato with tits and glasses
(not to mention she's voiced by Kana Hanazawa too)
karinvampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 16:09   Link #159
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
Spoiler for Ep 2:
Old 2010-04-08, 16:13   Link #160
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxplizit View Post
Spoiler for Ep 2:
Rofl, this. Had to pause to see if I wasn't seeing things.

I swear I heard Yukarin during hanabi scene as one of the little kids that look like a loli Yamada and a shota Kosuda.... Oh, maybe that's why.

Ugh, every time I see Yamada with "Demon Seals" I think of a certain White Devil. :/

Edit for being slow:
I was wondering why Daisuke sounded familiar. He's voiced by Sato in Welcome to the NHK. @_@!

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, seinen