AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-03-22, 16:40   Link #2301
Siegel Clyne

Japanese America: From All-American Girl to the Femme Fatale

In my The Japanese Diaspora, Part 2 post, I have added more info and videos on two sexy, attractive, part Japanese women in American entertainment, actress Chrishell Stause and singer/dancer/actress Jessica Sutta, formerly of the Pussycat Dolls.

The couple of additional videos featuring the Missouri-born and Kentucky-bred Chrishell Stause in that post, project the image of the wholesome All-American girl.

On the other hand, the couple of music videos by Jessica Sutta in that post portray the bad girl, the nasty b**** ("I wanna be the b****!"), and the femme fatale.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2012-03-23 at 14:39.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 14:46   Link #2302
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

not really culture ish but i say worth to share

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 18:54   Link #2303
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
In my The Japanese Diaspora, Part 2 post, I have added more info and videos on two sexy, attractive, part Japanese women in American entertainment, actress Chrishell Stause and singer/dancer/actress Jessica Sutta, formerly of the Pussycat Dolls.

The couple of additional videos featuring the Missouri-born and Kentucky-bred Chrishell Stause in that post, project the image of the wholesome All-American girl.

On the other hand, the couple of music videos by Jessica Sutta in that post portray the bad girl, the nasty b**** ("I wanna be the b****!"), and the femme fatale.
Damn, ethnic mixing can produce some beautiful results
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 19:19   Link #2304
Sumeragi
Banned

Eh..... I've never been a fan of East Asian-Other mixings. For some reason they aren't to my preferences.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 19:37   Link #2305
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Eh..... I've never been a fan of East Asian-Other mixings. For some reason they aren't to my preferences.
Every ethnicity has women I find attractive and in different ways. Ethnic mixes just add new dimensions. I really couldn't choose a racial look I find most attractive actually, they all are just great.
Old 2012-03-25, 19:42   Link #2306
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Every ethnicity has women I find attractive and in different ways. Ethnic mixes just add new dimensions. I really couldn't choose a racial look I find most attractive actually, they all are just great.
Back in the days when I was reading the James Bond novels, some of Fleming's female characters were often described as "Eurasian." It sounded exotic and sexy even if, at fourteen, I wasn't entirely sure what such a woman might look like. Now that I'm older and know what they look like, exotic and sexy still seems right.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 20:05   Link #2307
Sumeragi
Banned

I suppose I'm conservative with my tastes.
Old 2012-03-26, 00:58   Link #2308
Siegel Clyne

Former Playboy Centerfold Teri Harrison: "Sushi and bratwurst — that’s my life!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Damn, ethnic mixing can produce some beautiful results
Since my lost post, I have added a number of more part-Japanese entertainers and celebrities to my The Japanese Diaspora, Part 2 post, which started with the beautiful Bárbara Mori and incuding one of old-time favorites, the sexy Teri Harrison.

What I like about most all of the part-Japanese women I discussed in that post is that their beauty is natural, especially their facial beauty. They may dye or bleach their and use makeup on their face, but they not do cosmetic and plastic surgery on their face, which is all too common in Hollywood and endemic in East Asia (China, Taiwan, Japan, and especially South Korea).

On Japan's 2-Channel (2ch) forums, I have seen posted before and after pictures of a number of Japanese entertainers and celebrities, including some voice actresses, who have undergone cosmetic and plastic surgery on their face.

You can tell Chrishell Stause and Teri Harrison's facial beauty is natural because they are more than willing to show pictures of themselves when they were young and they look the same, maybe just less dolled up.

I have seen photos of Bárbara Mori without makeup and she still looks hot. Mori was accidentally discovered while working as a waitress in a restaurant in Mexico City at the age of 17 by an agent from a modeling agency. And, believe it or not, Mori has freckles, which she has talked about and I have seen in some photos.

These women still use makeup, they still do their hair (including bleaching and dyeing it), and they still do other things to make themselves more attractive on and off screen.

Heck, even male actors use makeup on screen.

Actress and model Alice Greczyn has a small bump on her nose. And the lovely actress Aya Sumika (born Aya Sumika Koenig in Miami, Florida) - whose mother is Japanese American and whose father is Caucasian American (I think the father may be Jewish because of the Koenig family name) - and who played FBI agent Liz Warner in the popular NUMB3RS American television crime drama series, which ran on CBS from January 23, 2005 to March 12, 2010, has more than a small bump on her nose.

Many people on the Internet have commented on the striking beauty of singer/songwriter Jhené Aiko.

And yet Jhené Aiko has written this about herself:

Quote:
I do not want to be your next pop star

I am not your next pop star

I have a pudgy little nose that I never plan on “fixing” ,
a cup full of butt
tiny tits from breast feeding a child for the full year that nature suggested
( in which, btw…
I never plan on filling back up with any other material other than breast milk)

I am not your next perfectly plump,
slim nosed,
5 foot 7
cover girl.

I am 5 foot 2

And I am not your next popstar.
How refreshing.

The legendary actress and beauty Marilyn Monroe, on the other hand, reportedly had a nose job and a chin implant. She was beautiful to begin with, but made even more so after her alleged rhinoplasty and almost certain chin augmentation.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2012-03-26 at 03:06.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 01:25   Link #2309
flying ^

look @ this 15 y/o 'human doll' put up (what looks like and sounds to me...) a Japanese minstrel act... with bunch of hella creepy kimo-otas on niconico douga live.

http://kotaku.com/5896366/when-your-...line/gallery/1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1365798.html
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 11:31   Link #2310
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Tokyo chefs huff and puff over looser blowfish laws
Quote:
Tokyo (April 2, Mon): With a scoop of a net, Tokyo chef Naohito Hashimoto selects a poisonous blowfish, considered a delicacy in Japan and, with a few deft strokes of his gleaming knife, starts the delicate process of preparing it for a customer.

Within moments, Mr Hashimoto separates the edible parts of the fish from the organs filled with a poison more deadly than cyanide.

For more than six decades, dicing blowfish in Tokyo has been the preserve of a small band of strictly regulated and licensed chefs, usually in exclusive restaurants. But new laws coming into effect from October are opening the lucrative trade to restaurants without a licence, making chefs like Mr Hashimoto see red.

"We spent time and money to obtain and use the blowfish licence but, with these new rules, anybody can handle blowfish, even without a licence," said Mr Hashimoto, a blowfish chef for some 30 years.

Apprentice blowfish chefs must train with a veteran for a minimum of two years before they can take rigorous written and practical exams. In Tokyo, the exam fee runs up to 17,900 yen (US$218).

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government said city laws covering the serving of blowfish should be changed to reflect changing times. It hopes that relaxing the rules will cut prices and bring Tokyo in line with the rest of the nation.

"Outside of Tokyo, the regulations for blowfish are even more relaxed and yet there are hardly any poison-related accidents," said Mr Hironobu Kondo, an official at the city's Food Control Department.

"It is hoped that the number of restaurants with unlicensed chefs serving blowfish will rise, and that blowfish as an ingredient will be used not only for traditional Japanese foods, but also others, such as Chinese and Western foods."

A full-course meal of blowfish, known as fugu in Japanese, features delicacies such as blowfish tempura, and toasted fins in cups of hot sake. But the meal is far from cheap, as diners pay for the safety of a licensed chef. At Mr Hashimoto's restaurant, a meal costs at least 10,000 yen a person.

REUTERS
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 12:18   Link #2311
Sumeragi
Banned

What the hell is Tokyo, and for that matter, Japan thinking..... There's a reason why the license exists.
Old 2012-04-03, 12:24   Link #2312
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Is the article title meant to precede "anyone eating fugu is fcked."?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 22:09   Link #2313
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
What the hell is Tokyo, and for that matter, Japan thinking..... There's a reason why the license exists.
Maybe they're thinking the state should stop enriching license holders at the expense of consumers and non-licensed chefs.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 23:12   Link #2314
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Well...if the number of deaths suddenly rise up in the Tokyo area...we all know who to blame

But seriously though, this is worrying. Even if they say the number of fugu poisoning is little, as they say 'hardly any', that doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. Especially if you start taking away the license...
Old 2012-04-03, 23:54   Link #2315
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
Maybe they're thinking the state should stop enriching license holders at the expense of consumers and non-licensed chefs.
That would be my guess as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranran View Post
Well...if the number of deaths suddenly rise up in the Tokyo area...we all know who to blame

But seriously though, this is worrying. Even if they say the number of fugu poisoning is little, as they say 'hardly any', that doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. Especially if you start taking away the license...
Actually, for one sickening moment, it occurred to me that the story could have been a belated April's Fool joke, so I went digging around and, to my relief, I found that it had been reported earlier last month (March 5) by The Japan Times.

======

The Japan Times story gives the relevant numbers:
Quote:
Nationwide, there were 338 food poisoning cases in Japan related to fugu consumption that killed 23 people from 2000 to 2009.

Tokyo has logged seven instances of fugu poisoning over the past decade, with only one occurring in a restaurant, according to the metropolitan government. There was only one fatality: a man who ate fugu he had caught and cooked himself.
Twenty-three deaths over nine years, out of a national population of 125 million. So, yes, I think it's reasonable to say there has been "hardly any" cases of fugu poisoning.

The other key passage in the story:
Quote:
"The revision will mean many more eateries will be allowed to sell fugu, and thus consumers may be able to eat cheap kinds of fugu at izakaya (traditional Japanese pubs) and other restaurants," said Mr Yuichi Makita, chairman of the Tokyo Fugu Cuisine Association.

"But prices of high-quality fugu, such as tora (tiger) fugu, will not drop and will probably not be available at such cheap places," said Mr Makita, who runs a high-class blowfish restaurant in Tokyo. However, he added that he opposes easing the licensing requirement because it will compromise diner safety.

Tokyo is one of only a handful of prefectures where people without licences are not allowed to sell so-called mikaki fugu, or whole fugu minus the poisonous parts, said Mr Makita.

To be sure, any fish shop can sell sliced or processed fugu meat as long as it is registered for sale at a public health centre. Only the sale of mikaki fugu is restricted.

From October, mikaki fugu sellers must label their products as "having venomous parts removed". Those who buy it, mainly restaurants, must buy only labelled fish and keep records of who they buy it from, if they don't have any licensed fugu chefs on staff.
The Japan Times story is clearly better as it explains why the Tokyo metropolitan government believes loosening the law brings the city "in line with the rest of the nation", with respect to the sale of so-called mikaki fugu. The story also shows that it's not as though all caution is being thrown out of the window. Restaurants that buy the cheaper fugu are required to take careful note of their source and suppliers, ensuring accountability if something were to go wrong.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2012-04-04 at 00:05.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 00:59   Link #2316
Sumeragi
Banned

Being a paranoid person who also happens to have the Korean license for handling fugu, I rather not buy anything from unlicensed people.
Old 2012-04-04, 09:38   Link #2317
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Being a paranoid and skeptical person, I think I'll steer clear of poisonous puffer fish for the foreseeable future.

For one who has tried it, what makes it a delicacy? Just the cool-factor, or does it truly have a unique taste? I love trying exotic flavors (as an Irish-American, Japanese cuisine is full of 'alien' flavors I've come to love), but I wonder about the puffer fish.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:36   Link #2318
Sumeragi
Banned

It depends on how you prepare it. What I can say is that it's chewy for a fish and barely tastes like seafood.
Old 2012-04-04, 21:28   Link #2319
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I've always wondered how the correct way to prepare fugu was discovered. I mean, how many people did they go through to find the correct way? One would think that after the first couple of people keeled over, they would realize that it's a dangerous fish not fit for consumption.

~hands fish to guy #21~ Here, try this.
~guy #21 eats it and dies~
Hmm...let's try this way.
~hands fish to guy #22~ Here try this.
~guy #22 eats it and dies~
Hmm...let's try it this way...

Endless "I'll stick with rice" Soul
Old 2012-04-05, 04:35   Link #2320
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Ok, one thing to note when visiting Japan next week...
Never ever eating fugu !!!
Stick with "half-price" ben-to then...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture