AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-07, 18:57   Link #1
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Question Three Giants of Anime Combining Forces?

Hey I thought you guys might be interested in this little peice of news..... I found the story here Here I also copy and pasted it below.
Spoiler:

So does this mean all three will blow as bad as ADV or what? What is your take on this?
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-07, 19:46   Link #2
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

OMG........there goes any hope of good quality anime in the US. Bugger. And here I was hoping that things might actually IMPROVE! But NOOOOOOO. Well, anywho. I really feel this would be a bad thing. For one, they create the next best thing to a monopoly, and if anyone has ever seen AOL, Microsoft, or any of the other big monopolies, they'd know right off the bat that this is really, really bad. Monopolies only care about money and could care less about the end user. It could also spell the end of fansubs if these guys get rolling together.

But that's my two cents and is entirely open to be debated.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-07, 20:04   Link #3
Grona
Big Damit!

You hit the nail on the head so hard it cried.

With their powers combined, its captin anime! Man I supose it might be good for spreading awareness, but merges usualy bring more trouble than they're worth (banks, airlines, etc). Who knows, I supose if they all try and compliment each others weaknesses it might be a new golden age. I for one think Funimation could use it.
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-07, 20:19   Link #4
Green²
It's bacon!

Less competition for licenses now I believe. Thus making it easier to acquire those licenses. And even easier if they can combine their financial power, should they wish to acquire one of those high-priced series.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-07, 20:38   Link #5
Thelastguardian

When I read the post, a sound suffex that is like second nature to me just popped into my head : uh-oh (from icq) .

"...focus on developing high quality entertainment series primarily targeted to children and young adults,..."

Sheesh. I don't think I need to hear that from Funimation, and especially not from ADV. And to get the ball rolling they also succeeded in dragging down Geneon.

I sincerely hope that when they say the word develope, they mean that they would train their voice actors better (I just couldn't stand the over-exaggeration of English dub), and not actually produce an animation serie themselve.

If they mean pooling their marketing funds, however, I found it to be a highly effective move.

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2004-10-07 at 22:18.
Thelastguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-07, 20:52   Link #6
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
maybe they will combine thier effort and license naruto

animesuki get ready for the horror
Old 2004-10-07, 21:26   Link #7
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Dude, if Naruto gets licenced, three things are going to happen.

1. AS forums are going to die from the traffic.
2. Fanboys will commit ritual suicide when they hear the english dub and realize that it sounds worse than someone torturing ducks.
3. The outcry from the fan community will be deafoning.

Those are for certain. The rest is up for debate.

OH yeah, and we won't hear the end of the whinning for months either. I really feel for the mods because it's going to be a lock, ban, and delete super party in here on that day. Especially poor Xris. He's probubly gonna wear out 3 mice in one day nuking threads and posts about naruto being licenced.
Old 2004-10-07, 23:12   Link #8
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123
maybe they will combine thier effort and license naruto

animesuki get ready for the horror
I'm not sure if I posted it on this forum, but I predicted that 2 or 3 companies (ok only 2, but I was close) would jointly license naruto to prevent 4kids from picking it up. since having both This fits my prediction perfectly, however, before everyone starts to panic, this is most likely something dealing with adv's anime network, rather than some big merger or joint licensing project.
Old 2004-10-07, 23:18   Link #9
Shadowlord
~DESU

the only think that could be worse news than this, would be if 4 kids was one of the controlling companies. Still, I would rather them have not joined together.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 00:15   Link #10
Thelastguardian

relax

No where on the report did they say that they will joint-licence anything, let alone licenceing Naruto.

Save your panic for the real thing
Old 2004-10-08, 00:49   Link #11
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
No where on the report did they say that they will joint-licence anything, let alone licenceing Naruto.

Save your panic for the real thing
it will come. mark words. doesnt matter whose, just mark them

you had me excited. i thought a bunch of Anime Studios were coming together to work on a series.

blah. you could have put something more revealing of the topic in the title. like "Three Giants of producing and distributing Anime in America combine forces!"

bleh. i dont think they will get better.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 01:31   Link #12
hooliganj
Team Player

They're just talking about joint production for now, not anything like an actual merger. As far as I can tell, it's all just for the marketing, although it might open up some availability channels. FUNi and Geneon might get some shows on the Anime Network and maybe even discounts at Suncoast, while ADV opens up some of the direct to store and club options that FUNi likes to use. I'm not sure what Geneon brings to the table, except maybe being the company with the closest ties to a Japanese production house.

If I had to guess, I'd say this is probably an attempt to break 4kids and Bandai's domination of the network and basic cable broadcast slots, which is where the most money lies anyway.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 05:28   Link #13
Ending

The bigger the company, the more they stiffle creativity, meaning worse products that rely on it (--entertainment--). I think we will be seeing a lot more of "standardized" trash being thrown out if this comes true, but since they "--will focus on developing high quality entertainment series primarily targeted to children and young adults--" I could care less. It's a kiddy company like Nintendo and I wouldn't buy products like that in the first place.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 05:48   Link #14
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Luckily I live in Holland and can continue download Anime "legally"
Old 2004-10-08, 08:52   Link #15
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
They're just talking about joint production for now, not anything like an actual merger.
Talk leads to things. If there's one thing I've learned from companies in recent years, when they start "talking" about something, start worrying, because the announcement about them "talking" about it is only used to cushion the blow when they actually do announce that they've already agreed on it. Sometimes companies use that to judge general public responce to doing something, then if the responce is good they go forward with the idea. Other times it's used to distract the general public and let them rant and rave against that while the company sneaks something else in under the radar.

I'm not saying that this is true with this situation, but if the majority rule is true, then this is bound to happen and most likely will.