AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-10-13, 10:39   Link #1
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Tokyopop Confirms Intent to Publish Manga Again

ANN news page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
The new TokyopopManga Twitter account confirmed on Wednesday that it is "hoping that [it will] be able to release new manga very soon." The account mentioned it is "laying the groundwork for publishing new manga again," but added that because all of its previous titles had "reverted back to their Japanese publishers" that the company would "have to work to get them back." The Twitter account also stated the company's "ultimate goal is to start publishing manga again."

The Twitter account noted it is "planning on starting with an old license." The account also stated it plans to release manga in both print and digital form.

In an open letter from Tokyopop founder Stu Levy that was posted on GeekChicDaily on Tuesday, Levy wrote, "I know that you're all eager to have the same access to your favorite manga titles that we could previously provide and I promise that I am continuing to explore any and all opportunities to relaunch the manga publishing operations of TOKYOPOP's business."

Tokyopop shut down its North American manga publishing division in May. On Tuesday the company revealed it will launch a new editorial newsletter "about all things otaku and Asian pop-culture" powered by GeekChicDaily. Tokyopop gauged interest in the release of more Hetalia manga volumes last month.
Tokyopop's hideous, decomposing corpse rises from the grave to bring you stalled licensed manga once again! Get a punching bag, folks, and try not to get a heart attack in the midst of your rage.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 11:55   Link #2
Puddingman

That's nice! Do they typically produce good manga? I just started getting interested in manga and was a little disappointed when I heard the sales and publishing having been cut in the US.
Old 2011-10-13, 11:59   Link #3
Kirarakim

The only thing I ever cared to collect from Tokyo Pop was Fruits Basket which luckily they did finish releasing.

I actually feel it was a fluke that Tokyo Pop got such a high selling series. To this day I am shocked that Viz didn't snap it up first.
Old 2011-10-13, 12:42   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddingman View Post
That's nice! Do they typically produce good manga? I just started getting interested in manga and was a little disappointed when I heard the sales and publishing having been cut in the US.
They produced a lot of crap that wasn't "manga" just "manga-styling" because it was cheaper. Their product is on crappy paper and smudged ink (compare it to an actual japanese manga book sometime which goes for half the price). They waste a lot of their capital on idiotic contests that insult their readers, ridiculously useless websites, etc.

And the most damning - they went down the road of ADV in grabbing licenses, starting the series and then dropping them (almost always without ever *saying* they were dropping it, it just sits in limbo).

So, Tokyopop... finish ARIA or give it to Yen Press and maybe I'll modify that assessment... a little. But no, I don't find this announcement amusing. The TP leadership simply has little/no credibility.
Old 2011-10-13, 13:08   Link #5
Puddingman

Aw man, what got me the most is how you said they drop series. That's pretty dishonest not only economically but emotionally, investing money and feelings into a series and not being able to see them through.

So you mentioned Yen Press, I take it that's a credible publisher? Who are other companies who can be trusted?
Old 2011-10-13, 14:42   Link #6
Kyuu
=^^=

I have a very big Tokyopop bag from Anime Expo pinned to my wall - acting as a poster. Lately, I had been sorta sad looking at it knowing that Tokyopop had been out of business. This revival is good news.

These guys are needed to bring out American talent towards the manga scene.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 15:50   Link #7
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Stu Levy needs to go away. He is just an attention whore. If I was a Japanese Licensor I wouldn't touch Tokyopop with a 10ft pole.
Old 2011-10-13, 15:56   Link #8
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I guess it is just a fleeting dream, but I wish they could at least reprint some of their LN (to name one: FMP).
Heh, who am I joking? They would put themselves in their grave considering how bad the sales are for these. And I doubt any other company would buy their licenses...OTZ
Old 2011-10-13, 16:07   Link #9
Sides

Tokyopop, isn't that name damaged beyond repair? If they want to carry on maybe re-brand themselves like Mixx, oh wait...
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 19:33   Link #10
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

This and Viz ruin the reputation of American licensors everywhere.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 20:00   Link #11
brocko

Well on a more optimistic note, maybe this could signify a turning point where they'll actually do a proper job this time around. Again, being optimistic here . . .

Nah lol

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 20:29   Link #12
Kudryavka

Isn't Tokyopop the only one that publishes Japanese-style comics made in the West on a large scale? I like them for that, at least, a great opportunity for artists here.

Must agree that they aren't the best at localizing Japanese manga, though. On book quality alone, my heart belongs to Del Rey right now.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 20:38   Link #13
Puddingman

Quote:
my heart belongs to Del Rey right now.
Yea! I really enjoy them now too, they're my first experience into manga. What's the story with them, did they go out of business or something? I thought I heard that somewhere, but I'm fuzzy on the details.
Old 2011-10-13, 20:43   Link #14
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddingman View Post
Yea! I really enjoy them now too, they're my first experience into manga. What's the story with them, did they go out of business or something? I thought I heard that somewhere, but I'm fuzzy on the details.
It seems that Kodansha USA gulped up Del Rey's stuff a year ago. I've no idea if the quality is still amazing, my last book from Del Rey I bought some years ago.
Old 2011-10-13, 20:50   Link #15
Puddingman

^
That's strange, switching production in the middle of series or something. Seems like these things are more fragile than I thought.
Old 2011-10-13, 21:35   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Right now, I consider Yen Press top of the heap... obviously the business evolves. A long time ago, ADV was "the man".... the "Tokyopop"... Del Rey was/is very consistent. Viz... well... whatever. I don't mind them so much for shoujo works.
Old 2011-10-13, 21:44   Link #17
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I guess it is just a fleeting dream, but I wish they could at least reprint some of their LN (to name one: FMP).
Heh, who am I joking? They would put themselves in their grave considering how bad the sales are for these. And I doubt any other company would buy their licenses...OTZ
I would also like to see a Full Metal Panic reprint.....done by Yen Press or someone who knows what they're doing.

I hope no Japanese licensor lets Tokyopop anywhere near their properties. I also consider Yen Press and Seven Seas as quality manga publishers.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 22:58   Link #18
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Is TokyoPop that bad? I own some manga from them. D:

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 23:01   Link #19
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post
Is TokyoPop that bad? I own some manga from them. D:
Well, for one, they love to localize series a la twenty years ago; in other words, butcher them in the name of making them "palatable" to Western audiences, as if we're allergic to Japanese culture or something. Don't know if they still do this as badly as they used to, but I can imagine it's earned them some lifetime haters, especially from the purist crowds.
Old 2011-10-14, 00:45   Link #20
larethian

Tokyopop is not bad in customer service, because they actually reply to emails to light novel queries! Viz can GTH! Not that I buy the English ones though.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
licensing, manga, tokyopop, zombies