AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-10, 06:28   Link #24121
Ridwan

Too bad, there's virtually no moderate muslim in Afghanistan
Old 2012-10-10, 07:57   Link #24122
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

North Korea says its rockets can hit U.S. mainland

Quote:
SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea has rockets that can hit the U.S. mainland, it said on Tuesday, two days after South Korea struck a deal with the United States to extend the range of its ballistic missiles.
North and South Korea have been technically at war since their 1950-53 conflict ended in a truce, not a peace treaty, and regional powers have for years been trying to rein in North Korea's nuclear weapons program.
http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-sa...192415998.html

Old 2012-10-10, 12:07   Link #24123
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
AND today's Darwin Awards goes to...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-computer.html
If he did it while his comp was still plugged in, I'd agree. However, the article says that he did it with an unplugged comp and it's possible he didn't know that a disconnected power supply can still carry an electrical charge. That disqualifies him for a DA.
Old 2012-10-10, 12:11   Link #24124
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
If he did it while his comp was still plugged in, I'd agree. However, the article says that he did it with an unplugged comp and it's possible he didn't know that a disconnected power supply can still carry an electrical charge. That disqualifies him for a DA.
but why did he open up the power supply? what did he expect to scavenge form it?
Old 2012-10-10, 12:20   Link #24125
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Too bad, there's virtually no moderate muslim in Afghanistan
There are, otherwise these people would have been dead.

There are those who run after the Taliban rule collapsed - the Quetta Shura can't control them all.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-10-10, 12:29   Link #24126
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
but why did he open up the power supply? what did he expect to scavenge form it?
Apart from the usual DIY, must be that the dead kid has a cat's fatal curiosity of taking apart things -- seems that the PSU suddenly quit on him while testing and thought he could fix that too.
Old 2012-10-10, 12:35   Link #24127
Ridwan

Guess I should've been more serious. What I mean is that Afghanistan doesn't have what Libya has. So far, Libya has been able to demonstrate to those nay-sayers that they are heading the right direction. Of course, unlike Afghanistan, it's nowhere as geographically isolated and hasn't suffered decades-long anarchy for like... I dunno, some centuries....

Oh, and it's not currently being under a foreign occupation, too.
Old 2012-10-10, 12:39   Link #24128
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
AND today's Darwin Awards goes to...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-computer.html
Wait! What? The PSU after being unplugged have enough power to kill a person?
Old 2012-10-10, 12:48   Link #24129
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Supposedly it does - according to science a shock that kills the person is when the potential difference between the source and the person is very high. It is either capacitors, static electricity or both.

He probably didn't ground himself using a anti-static mat.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-10-10, 13:07   Link #24130
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Teenage Murderer Confesses to Killing Mother and Sister on 911 Call

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube

TL;DR…
phone conversation

Quote:
Jake Evans, a 17-year-old boy from Aledo, Texas, called the local police department admitting to killing his mother and 15-year-old sister. The amazing 911 operator stayed on the phone with Evans until the police arrived and he fully cooperated with the operator and did not seem remorseful of his actions.

From listening to the 911 recording, Jason called the police about 30 minutes after killing them. Evans calmly speaks to the operator and explains what happened and how he murdered his mother and sister.
http://sourcefednews.com/2012/10/08/...r-on-911-call/

Old 2012-10-10, 13:25   Link #24131
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

just shoot him, there is nothing there to salvage.
Old 2012-10-10, 13:29   Link #24132
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Sounds like he stuck his fingers somewhere they didn't belong after disassembling the PSU. Yeah, PSUs have huge capacitors with slow decay time, enough to kill if they're shorted out by touch. That's why they're in sealed boxes and you LEAVE them assembled. You also don't lick the end of any of the connectors are mess with frayed wires.

Anyone old enough to have worked on old TVs with cathod ray tubes knows that you DO NOT touch certain parts of the system until you've bled it off with a special tool. An old TV could keep charges of 70K volts for three or four days.

I accidentally touched a flyback in advanced physics lab in college. All I remember is I was moving a component in the box and then I was against the wall 4 feet back. My lab mates said they just saw a huge flash and the joke was I teleported four feet.

Modern PSUs aren't that big but I imagine they could store up a few kilovolts for a split second zap.
Old 2012-10-10, 13:45   Link #24133
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I can guess how he feels - there are sometimes people skirt around a single topic and force you to be leashed to what they are saying, indirectly controlling the topic. He just wanted someone to talk to and nobody wanted to listen.

He probably didn't know the hand-to-face/show-your-back/can-you-let-me-finish insults when confronted with the "my-way-only" conversational stances - there is always the highway and someone else.

Old 2012-10-10, 15:26   Link #24134
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Russia says it will not renew arms agreement with U.S.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8991K020121010
Old 2012-10-10, 15:52   Link #24135
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Russia says it will not renew arms agreement with U.S.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8991K020121010
The USSR is back baby
Old 2012-10-10, 16:14   Link #24136
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We still have deterrent level nuclear weaponry against the Russians (though I don't know if those systems are still pointed at then, it shouldn't be an issue to reprogram for 1980s targets).

The problem will be how thin are is out military defenses against multiple threats? The military is pulling out of Iraq and is suppose to be pulling out of Afghanistan in a year or so. We have been redeploying naval and marine assents to the Pacific to counter North Korean and especially Chinese moves in the region. We have potential for NATO support efforts of the Turks against the Syrians. We still have massive deployments of forces around Iran to maintian santions, prevent them from doing anything if they go nuclear, and keep an eye on what the Israelis do in the region.

With all that, we have less forces deployed in Europe to counter the Russians because that hasn't been much of a threat (publicly) since the 1990s. We haven't(publicly) been considering the Russians as a threat for twenty years. With Russia and its former Soviet Republics economically crippled following the Cold War, and their military structures failing due to lack of funds, we again wrote them off as a full scale threat to the United States and NATO since those were still near full capacity.

Now, twenty years later, the US and EU are having economic problems and some have been involved in a number of small but expensive conflicts this last decade. The US military (especially the Army) is a bit worn out by the constant deployments to the Middle East. About the only think the US has managed to avoid verses what the Soviets did was that the US was never intending to occupy any of these territories forever. There was never a (known) plan to incorperate Afghanistan or Iraq into the United States as territories or states. There was limited involvement with Libya and likely limited involvement in Syria should the Turks and NATO request it. Things have not yet gone south in the Persian Gulf with Iran....as long as they don't go nuclear, or Isreal doesnt pull something, it wouldn't amount to anything but a blockade until Iran's economy collapes and their government falls.

China may or may not decide to call the US on operations in the South China Sea and Eastern Sea between the US allies of the Philippines and Japan and China's various island claims. The US Navy is still stronger than the CHina's forces...if they don't have their "Anti-Carrier Ballistic Missiles" ready...and if the US can't counter said weapons already.

Basically it all depends on what the Russians want to do, verses all the existing US commitments of forces across the globe...mostly in Asia.
Old 2012-10-11, 01:01   Link #24137
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Kids in my country have five days a week (and for some dumb reason have to lug a damn huge schoolbag weighing some 10-15kg even if it's necessary to bring only what should be really needed); college students do 6 (plus Sundays for ROTC).

First time there I ever hear that French schoolkids have 4 days per week, which is astonishing.
But 24 hours of class per week (breaks not included). How many is it for you?
Old 2012-10-11, 01:04   Link #24138
flying ^

... welcome to Detroit Kameyama, Japan

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ankruptcy-tech
Old 2012-10-11, 01:06   Link #24139
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Yah.. prefer the chest.. let him suffer for a while then shoot him in the head....
Old 2012-10-11, 02:35   Link #24140
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international