Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-17, 16:06   Link #1561
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
that is form Fox news...there is someone sane in fox news?
yeah, isn't it ironic that I used a "cult news" source?
Old 2012-10-17, 16:06   Link #1562
GDB

Quote:
when more people choose to vote in American Idol then in a presidential election. It is not the media fault, it is completely on the electorate.
It's also the way in which they can vote. One requires a phone. The other requires you to go to a specified location, in person, during work hours (or on your way to/from work).

Quote:
that is form Fox news...there is someone sane in fox news?
They seem to be popping up more and more lately. A sign that some are realizing how crazy those in control of the group have gotten?
Old 2012-10-17, 16:15   Link #1563
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That or that the money won't end up in their controller's pockets.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-10-17 at 16:35.
Old 2012-10-17, 16:21   Link #1564
Alchemist007
*Author

Considering all the talk about ignorant voters and such, I think it's high time that education was emphasized as much as Obama made it.
Old 2012-10-17, 16:42   Link #1565
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It's also the way in which they can vote. One requires a phone. The other requires you to go to a specified location, in person, during work hours (or on your way to/from work).
for those too busy to get off work to vote, there is absentee ballots. Fill it out at home and put it in the mail box.

there is no excuse other then plain laziness.
Old 2012-10-17, 16:47   Link #1566
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Voting is one thing. Looking up information is another. For some, that seems like work, and they do not want anymore work than they already have between their jobs, family, and other responcibilites. They are prefectly fine getting snips here and there from the news, but don't want to put anymore effort than is actually needed into it. Without a lot of poking around, you won't find the country is quite as sorry a shape because the only fear you will receive is from the TV, and if it is in commercial form, you might be able to even skip that via DVR.
Old 2012-10-17, 17:34   Link #1567
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Just to add another topic on Romney, the XL Pipeline:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/...eal-all-along/

(warning: browsing the foxnews website is like reading news from North Korea - it doesn't connect to any reality that lines up with data. articles like the link are far and few between. when one solitary source tells you its the only one telling the truth - that's an alarm sign of a cult)

The pipeline wouldn't actually have helped oil production in any significant way, only profit for a few pockets (mostly Canadian), what few jobs it meant were temporary, and it would wreck farms and property owners from Texas to Canada didn't figure in at all. In reality, a large percentage of the opposition was from 'small r' Republicans along the route who owned those farms and properties.
Hmm. This all seems eerily familiar.
Old 2012-10-17, 17:45   Link #1568
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

but but, it's perfectly safe and proven technology!

durr hurr!
Old 2012-10-17, 18:15   Link #1569
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
When a very small group of powerful people stand to make a "killing" regardless of the big picture impact - they usually don't go away the first time everyone says "no".
Old 2012-10-17, 18:37   Link #1570
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
When a very small group of powerful people stand to make a "killing" regardless of the big picture impact - they usually don't go away the first time everyone says "no".
Expecting a ''new'' SOPA for next year ?
Old 2012-10-17, 18:58   Link #1571
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Expecting a ''new'' SOPA for next year ?
If the Dems win the WH and keep either the Senate of the House, I expect to see a rash of ill-thought out IP bullshit that the likes of the MPAA want.

Hence, whichever side wins - I'll be keeping my membership in the EFF and ACLU among other things.

I consider that a lesser evil than the government peering into my friend's daughter's privates to support of some particular religious point of view.
Old 2012-10-17, 21:53   Link #1572
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
The case has been made that those who are ignorant now are choosing to stay that way. As in, they're choosing to be close-minded, vs. actually educating themselves and participating in the process.
When that happens, it is too late. You can't teach open-mindedness after a certain age. At best you could replace their narrow view with a different one, but you can't force them to make up their own minds.

Even if Fox News shut down tomorrow, sheep would still be sheep. If you show them far left media, they would start to believe in far left propaganda without any basis in logic or reasoning.

In short, they are stupid. And no amount of news can help those people. And because they are in a democracy, they are in a position to doom themselves.
(I really should tone down the language, but I can't. It's gotten this bad. We need a replacement system for Democracy. This one is done.)
Old 2012-10-17, 23:26   Link #1573
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Considering all the talk about ignorant voters and such, I think it's high time that education was emphasized as much as Obama made it.
Especially when it comes to people living out of major urban areas, those people need a serious kick in the rear end by means of education. Just in my home province of Quebec, we also do have our own problems of ignorant voters who are totally close-minded and oblivious about the whole reality... that's how we have that huge load of bollocks (a.k.a. Pauline Marois) as provincial premier, who is a sort of left-winged version of Mitt Romney if you ask me. That's for the off-topic part.

You want people to be more educated and more apt to work, use the hard-working Asian-Americans as an example/model. I don't know who said that, but I remember this person made me smile just by saying this.
Old 2012-10-17, 23:31   Link #1574
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Education doesn't always work. It can be mentally blocked if it is thought to be part of a liberal conspiracy. Also known as "brainwashing the youth of America" in some circles. (The 1960s left that in the minds of many that perhaps the educated were not as wise as they should be. Smart, but not wise).
Old 2012-10-17, 23:32   Link #1575
Dr. Casey

Oh, I know you didn't mean that badly, Solace; I was just making a joke playing off Alchemist's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen
When that happens, it is too late. You can't teach open-mindedness after a certain age. At best you could replace their narrow view with a different one, but you can't force them to make up their own minds.

Even if Fox News shut down tomorrow, sheep would still be sheep. If you show them far left media, they would start to believe in far left propaganda without any basis in logic or reasoning.
Counting sheep is a classic technique to help people fall asleep, but it sounds like the sheep of the world keep you from falling asleep. An interesting conundrum.
Old 2012-10-18, 00:31   Link #1576
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

It is in human nature to interpret events in a way that fits into one's existing view of the world. There is little to do with how smart or educated you are. It takes a lot of mental effort to discard what you believe in even if the contradicting evidence is overwhelming. Most people just automatically filter out things that don't fit with their picture, whether they watch Fox News or not, simply because life is easier that way.

And that's what makes Fox News especially damaging to America. It gears its message to the "conservatives" and feeds them with what they want to hear. To the regular viewers, Fox News' talks simply fits into their perception of the world. It reinforces their beliefs. The viewers then come together at dinner time and talk about what they learned from the news, and of course their views further strengthens their beliefs. Over time it creates a reality that makes perfect sense to some and totally nuts to the rest. To those trapped in such alternative reality, it is extremely difficult break out because other views just do not make sense to them.

This phenomenon is not something unique to Fox News viewers. There just isn't a news organization on the other side of the political spectrum with such widespread influence and shameless disregard of honest reporting.
Old 2012-10-18, 00:47   Link #1577
ViolentLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
(I really should tone down the language, but I can't. It's gotten this bad. We need a replacement system for Democracy. This one is done.)
Democracy is exactly what the rulers want - the illusion of choice within a totalitarian system, a populace of sheep who believe they have freedom of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
The case has been made that those who are ignorant now are choosing to stay that way. As in, they're choosing to be close-minded, vs. actually educating themselves and participating in the process.
Sheep don't choose to be sheep. They are forced to be sheep by those who control society. You can't blame them. They're victims of the system.

Many have broken out of the pattern. Open-mindedness can be taught and learned. It's not easy, that's all.

But blaming ignorant sheeps for choosing to be ignorant sheeps, on the other hand, is a clear sign of close-mindedness. It's the same as blaming devout Christians for turning away from evidence of evolution. If you blame Christians for being "close-minded in the face of available information," then you simply don't understand how people are conditioned i.e. forced to end up.

Conditioning. It's all societal conditioning. Looking down at sheep is a peasant's way of feeling superior to others.
Old 2012-10-18, 00:50   Link #1578
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Technically it is still a Republic. Representative Democracy at best. A true Democracy is not yet viable until all have internet connections, time, and wisdom to participate directly in government.
Old 2012-10-18, 00:56   Link #1579
james0246

^A true democracy would be strictly majority rule, so we do not want a true democracy.
Old 2012-10-18, 00:59   Link #1580
ViolentLove

^ There is no such thing as true democracy anyway.

Democracy = country shaped by people's opinions

Where do people's opinions come from?

Mass media.

Who controls the mass media?

In other words, democracy = totalitarian rule.

If you believe in democracy, you've been played.
Closed Thread