AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 17
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 17 14.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 34 29.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 37 32.46%
7 out of 10 : Good... 17 14.91%
6 out of 10 : Average... 5 4.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 1 0.88%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-27, 22:17   Link #81
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
I find it hilarious that he's pushing his glasses in ALO out of habit:
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 22:38   Link #82
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenneth4 View Post
And yeah the sugou online was way more classic villain than the one in real life wich was more subtile (especially with kirito )
As subtle as a brick to the face maybe. That's why I think he's a shitty villain for SAO. The part of his motivation with just him being a greedy bastard doesn't help either.

Quote:
to be honest I've always seen Kayaba more as an existentialist philosopher with some weird ideas than a real villain, so I consider Sugou to be the first real villain in the series. (of course, I do acknowledge that Kayaba has caused more deaths, but it's not like no philosopher has led/inspired holy crusades or any such murderous campaigns)

As for Sugou, I have an overwhelming urge to "KILL HIM WITH FIRE!"
As a person with a fondness for antagonists, it saddens me to see a technological show like SAO implement a megalomaniacal slimeball after someone like Kayaba, who I felt was much more appropriate.

Sugou would probably be my reason to stay interested in this half of the show if he was written in an fitting way, but this schlock we're given is an tool that exists for the single purpose of giving viewers who actually care about the main characters someone to blindly hate.
Old 2012-10-27, 22:49   Link #83
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I dunno, wanting to use VR technology for mind control and memory manipulation? Sounds pretty realistic to me, I imagine governments all over the world would love to have something to alter memories to that degree.
Old 2012-10-27, 22:53   Link #84
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
I wonder if Sugou, when his grand plan is foiled, will make a face like Noumi from AW?
Can't help but ask, is the avatar picture the face that Noumi made?

Must say, stupid final villain boss is pretty annoying, kind of hope there is a mastermind behind him who is actually controlling him.

Also hope he gets a taste of his own medicine (the whole brain twisting thing, like some disgruntled worker in his secret group - lulz).

Though I doubt it, would just be funny though.
Old 2012-10-27, 23:03   Link #85
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Wow, Suguo makes Noumi from AW look tame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I dunno, wanting to use VR technology for mind control and memory manipulation? Sounds pretty realistic to me, I imagine governments all over the world would love to have something to alter memories to that degree.
That's true. But why sell it? Won't it be better if you use it for yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Can't help but ask, is the avatar picture the face that Noumi made?

Also hope he gets a taste of his own medicine (the whole brain twisting thing, like some disgruntled worker in his secret group - lulz).

Though I doubt it, would just be funny though.
Yup, it is.

We all wish for something horrible happen to Suguo.
Old 2012-10-27, 23:07   Link #86
Vmem

Quote:
See, if wanting to use VR technology for mind control was Sugou's main goal as a villain, I would accept him as a fitting antagonist for this arc. Unfortunately, all he wants to use it for is to make Asuna like him, then he plans on selling it for a pretty penny (ok, maybe a swimming pool full of pretty pennies).

That aside, he's selling a potentially world-domination-super-weapon-ish thing, rather than chosing to use it himself in a nefarious play such as: Use the resources avialable to him at RECT to push the popularity of VR games and other uses for VR technology, use his closeness to mind control Asuna's family, eventually gaining total control of her father (he'll be the master puppeteer behind the curtains). After sufficient acceptance for VR technology has been achieved, he can slowly start rewriting the minds of users, pushing them to urge non-users to try out Amusphere etc, and have some code in the system to rewrite the minds of first time users at that point to like VR technology. this will allow Amusphere to spread until virtually the whole world is under his fingertips, thus achieving total world domination. Then, he can have Asuna along with whoever else he likes marry him
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 23:12   Link #87
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmem View Post
See, if wanting to use VR technology for mind control was Sugou's main goal as a villain, I would accept him as a fitting antagonist for this arc. Unfortunately, all he wants to use it for is to make Asuna like him, then he plans on selling it for a pretty penny (ok, maybe a swimming pool full of pretty pennies).

That aside, he's selling a potentially world-domination-super-weapon-ish thing, rather than chosing to use it himself in a nefarious play such as: Use the resources avialable to him at RECT to push the popularity of VR games and other uses for VR technology, use his closeness to mind control Asuna's family, eventually gaining total control of her father (he'll be the master puppeteer behind the curtains). After sufficient acceptance for VR technology has been achieved, he can slowly start rewriting the minds of users, pushing them to urge non-users to try out Amusphere etc, and have some code in the system to rewrite the minds of first time users at that point to like VR technology. this will allow Amusphere to spread until virtually the whole world is under his fingertips, thus achieving total world domination. Then, he can have Asuna along with whoever else he likes marry him
True. That's why I asked this:

Quote:
But why sell it? Won't it be better if you use it for yourself?
He's being way too shallow in his goals.
Old 2012-10-27, 23:16   Link #88
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Unfortunately, all he wants to use it for is to make Asuna like him, then he plans on selling it for a pretty penny (ok, maybe a swimming pool full of pretty pennies).
Actually, he makes it pretty clear here that he doesn't want to use it to make Asuna like him, as he "doesn't want a doll". I don't really see a reason to doubt that comment at this point; I think he'd only use it if he got desperate.

And I don't know... when he says to "sell the technology", it's not like the knowledge he used to build it is going to disappear. Even if he sells it, he could easily "develop it again". It'd probably make more sense for him to "license" it. That way, he can keep using it and make money off of it (and play various factions who might want it off of each other in bidding wars). Then again, after unleashing such a devastating product on the market, it may in some ways just be better to divest yourself and get way out of the way before you become a target yourself.
Old 2012-10-27, 23:19   Link #89
shakeofinfinity
Learning the Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
We defintely know sugou never read the 100 Rules for a Successful Evil Overlord.
thank you for the evil overlord guide
NOW IT IS TIME TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
I find it hilarious that he's pushing his glasses in ALO out of habit:
rofl went to rewatch that part

hoping something more badass to happen instead of just rescuing the princess,
some thing like kabaya' data still remains and transfer to ALO to wreck havoc, remove the logout button, etc
Old 2012-10-27, 23:25   Link #90
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
How much you want to bet this isn't even going to have that significant of a focus throughout the remainder of the show? At this point all it really is is a catalyst for the reasoning of why he abducted the conciousness of 300 people. I have my doubts it'll come up again as the ALO game and Asuna's rescue is where the focus needs to stay.

But that's not what I'm upset with, tell me, how would you envision the director behind a project that is developing technology that could flawlessly manipulate the way people's minds and memories would behave and plans to sell it? Would he behave the way Sugou is? I sure don't think he would, especially if his motivation is simply for the money.

Someone with this kind of personality is more like a character who would use such technology to conquer the world or something silly like that. It just doesn't fit with the concepts SAO presents.
Old 2012-10-27, 23:33   Link #91
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
But that's not what I'm upset with, tell me, how would you envision the director behind a project that is developing technology that could flawlessly manipulate the way people's minds and memories would behave and plans to sell it? Would he behave the way Sugou is? I sure don't think he would, especially if his motivation is simply for the money.

Someone with this kind of personality is more like a character who would use such technology to conquer the world or something silly like that. It just doesn't fit with the concepts SAO presents.
Well, like I said, even if he sells it along with RCT Progress, it's not like he doesn't have the ability to re-build it with the knowledge he has and all the money he will have made. He can sell the Yuuki family business for a mint and then do whatever he wants to do next in his global domination agenda. This could be a stepping stone, not the end-game.
Old 2012-10-27, 23:54   Link #92
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

why is it always very short??!!!

and Lyfa... oh! I got a bad feelings when Sugu took off her Amusphere... I can see her crying already if she knows the truth

I hope Asuna will stay strong... she can go crazy already if she have to chat with Sugou everyday
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 00:06   Link #93
Vmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, like I said, even if he sells it along with RCT Progress, it's not like he doesn't have the ability to re-build it with the knowledge he has and all the money he will have made. He can sell the Yuuki family business for a mint and then do whatever he wants to do next in his global domination agenda. This could be a stepping stone, not the end-game.
The problem with that logic is that "mind re-writing" technology isn't something you want to let the world know about. it's something you would research in secret (much like Sugou is doing). it's not something he can exactly licence and openly hire a team to rebuild. any reasonable government would see potential implications of this technology and would want full control over any and all research involved. in the BEST case, Sugou would end up being the head of some new military division in charge of enemy mind-control and interrogation or such.

Any super-weapon, once made, can only have one chance of ever being used (BEFORE people knows much about it). Nuclear power and weapons and related research in our real world is a good example of how Sugou's research would be handled once it's known
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 00:14   Link #94
HandofFate

lol, damnit. Kind of expected Lyfa to be someone, guess it makes sense its Sugu.

Why couldn't she recognize Kirito? I mean, Lyfa's character design is different, but Kirito looks the exact same as his real life self. Or is that designs just for convenience to the viewer.

I had to laugh at the bad guy's evil plan lol. So just straight up generic evil plan.
Old 2012-10-28, 00:23   Link #95
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The episode had a good pace regarding how things work in ALO, as well as how Lifa and Kirito are interacting to each other.
It is good to see that ALO follows the usual stuff regarding faction centred MMO, leading to potential chaotic and wild PVP in any neutral field. That said, I was a bit more surprised how Kirito could wander in the sylph capital without any problem once Lifa logged out, but I guess he sort of got a "guest" status because of her?

On the other hand, Lifa's identity wasn't really a surprise, considering the seiyuu (Taketatsu Ayana) and the Ending, although I'm more and more concerned of a very likely scenario with a fake triangle, involving Suguha as Lifa, falling in love with Kirito, then utterly crushed once she learns that he is actually her brother. Frankly, I sure hope it won't be the case, but her flustered reaction as both Lifa and her normal selves indicate clearly there is already some seed of romance, which will lead to the very predictable ugly drama...

Meanwhile, Sugou is way too much the textbook "big bad villain", explaining his nefarious master plan with little to no actual thought of what could happen if Asuna does manage to get away (well, usual arrogance, I can give you that...). What is "interesting" is that pretty much lika SAO, interface are again in-game physical, which doesn't make much sense, programmation wise... Well, at least the code sequence was "crypted" for Asuna, but I suspect she can visually have an idea what was the passcode... that's quite a flimsy way in using security, whereas brains are literally jacked in the game, so brain waves would be a much more secure method (hell, even personal interface instead of in-game one).
well first of all the other slyphs saw that he was with her so they wont just go "hey lets kill the mofo". And second notice she told him to log out using the room upstairs the inn? If you're in room, no one can get in and kill you similar to SAO.

Was a good episode overall, Sugou being Sougou I'm excited for more fight scenes tho and too all those people who hoped Lyfa "not Leafa, this isnt pokemon ffs" wasn't Suguha, HA too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
lol, damnit. Kind of expected Lyfa to be someone, guess it makes sense its Sugu.

Why couldn't she recognize Kirito? I mean, Lyfa's character design is different, but Kirito looks the exact same as his real life self. Or is that designs just for convenience to the viewer.

I had to laugh at the bad guy's evil plan lol. So just straight up generic evil plan.
Eh he got pointy ears, way different hair style, way different personality in game. If that doesn't satisfy you, its same reason every character from Kyoto animation looks the same and yet its different people. Its the art, as long as the hair and clothes are different, its a different person apparently
Old 2012-10-28, 00:36   Link #96
Clarste
Human

Am I the only one who thought it was interesting that Sugou seemed to know Kayaba personally? He called him senpai. I mean, I guess they work in the same business so it's not exactly unlikely, but in a show like this that would never be a coincidence.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 00:38   Link #97
holybell84

Can't someone put a
Spoiler for Horrible Ending:

And all the not-so-subtle Lyfa is "bigger" shots.....
Old 2012-10-28, 00:40   Link #98
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
The problem with that logic is that "mind re-writing" technology isn't something you want to let the world know about. it's something you would research in secret (much like Sugou is doing). it's not something he can exactly licence and openly hire a team to rebuild. any reasonable government would see potential implications of this technology and would want full control over any and all research involved. in the BEST case, Sugou would end up being the head of some new military division in charge of enemy mind-control and interrogation or such.

Any super-weapon, once made, can only have one chance of ever being used (BEFORE people knows much about it). Nuclear power and weapons and related research in our real world is a good example of how Sugou's research would be handled once it's known
Well, it's not necessarily going to be used like a super-weapon; it can be used covertly without anyone necessarily knowing about it (because the whole point is that you're manipulating memories). That said, like the nuclear arms race, I'm sure other countries and companies are researching the technology as well, so him being first to the (black) market is important. And now that the company who made the offer knows what he's doing, he may be in trouble if he doesn't deliver. I still say that he'll have plenty of options after making the sale, so... yeah, as far as crazy schemes go, it's probably more reasonable than "Try to Take Over The World", at least directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Am I the only one who thought it was interesting that Sugou seemed to know Kayaba personally? He called him senpai. I mean, I guess they work in the same business so it's not exactly unlikely, but in a show like this that would never be a coincidence.
Well, they may or may not know each other personally, but he may consider him a "senpai" in this field of research. Of course, they could easily have met in the past given their working in the same field in the same country (and he has probably deeply studied his research to the point where he feels like he knows him anyway).
Old 2012-10-28, 00:41   Link #99
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeofinfinity View Post
thank you for the evil overlord guide
NOW IT IS TIME TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD
this many people didn't know about the List

i thought the List was legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybell84 View Post
And all the not-so-subtle Lyfa is "bigger" shots.....
you don't say
Old 2012-10-28, 00:42   Link #100
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
As subtle as a brick to the face maybe. That's why I think he's a shitty villain for SAO. The part of his motivation with just him being a greedy bastard doesn't help either.
Granted, subtle doesnt seem to be in this guy's dictionary, but I like how his motivation, as horrible and disgusting as it is, is straight forward. I dont need to figure out much to be able to understand this guy.

Quote:
As a person with a fondness for antagonists, it saddens me to see a technological show like SAO implement a megalomaniacal slimeball after someone like Kayaba, who I felt was much more appropriate.
I love a good antagonist/villian myself, but you cant exactly just recycle the same type of villian arc after arc. Kayaba was a mysterious and somewhat noble villian with a Semi-God complex. His motivation was lost even to him after spending over two years in his fantasy world.

Quote:
but this schlock we're given is an tool that exists for the single purpose of giving viewers who actually care about the main characters someone to blindly hate.
Not quite sure what you mean by "someone to blindly hate."

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'd almost say that he wants the hero to come defeat him and rescue the "princess", just so that this little play of his can reach its foreseen end.
He probably does, only unlike Kayaba, he sees himself as the one standing victorious, not the Hero. Kayaba almost seemed to want to be defeated, as per his fantasy story. I sincerely doubt Sugou would be willing to give up his Admin powers if he fights Kirito.

Now that we've actually seen something about Leafa in this episode my opinion of her went up a little, at the very least she should be useful.

Yui, still as adorable as ever, glad to see her Pixie form isnt permanent. Though when she refered to Kirito as "Papa" I'm surprised Leafa didnt call him a perv or something as it would seem "Personal Pixies" are some kind of "cash shop" item or something rare.

I hope Asuna gets out of that cage soon, I was hoping she would this episode. Scary to be trapped in this kind of situation, in SAO she was strong, fast, powerful and able to handle any situation that came her way, or atleast be able to affect her situation. Here, all that has been stripped from her, she's being forced to play helpless victim....atleast for now, here's to hoping she manages to unlock her cage.

Wonder if Kirito will have better luck against these "Guardians" blocking the entrance to Yggdrasil then other players have. If not then maybe it's time for "SAO Team" to reassemble, cause he will probably need the help.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote