AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-15, 18:42   Link #1
7thMethuselah

SaiKano (Saishuuheiki Kanojo) Discussion

and I must say this one really got to me.

This is by far the saddest, depressing, haertbreaking anime I've ever seen. A very sad but realistic story about people in extreme circomstances.

Spoiler:

I'm gonna stop babbling here, just a note to anyone who hasn't seen this yet, go watch it now.

PS I should have listened to the warning they gave me
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 19:13   Link #2
monir
cho~ kakkoii

That show has lost one potential viewer...I try to avoid all sad/sob story..
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 19:47   Link #3
ato
Oups...

Ah, finally a Saikano post in the new forum!

I concur with 7thMethuselah: This is a truly heartbreaking story. And I mean that in the best way possible; the characters are all finely portrayed, and through them the story cuts right through your defenses.

If you like tragedies, this is surely the one anime to watch. So painful, yet so beautiful. Gah! Words fail me. Watch it!
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 19:50   Link #4
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
Yeah, SaiKano was a great series. I don't think I'll ever be able to forget it. The music was nice too, very fitting. First anime series that made me cry the entire time. ^_^
Koshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 19:56   Link #5
Go-lytely

I didnt find it sad because you never really got to know the side characters that well so I didnt care if they died or not. Also, I was desensitized to all the death and violence. By the end, I knew everyone was going to die and I was like "oh well"
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 20:01   Link #6
AnimeFangirl

I read the manga first, then tried to watch the anime, but the anime felt too pretentious. Like it was trying too hard to be sad and human and meaningful instead of just letting things happen naturally. It's not like the manga was fantastic either, but the anime was really pulling out all the stops in a very obvious manner, trying to wring out an emotional response from the viewer by any means possible. "Hey, it's a new episode, let's kill off another undeveloped and pointless side character, yay!" That kind of feeling. It's not a BAD anime per se, just kinda meh.
AnimeFangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-15, 21:35   Link #7
condi
Jonny-san

Send a message via MSN to condi
is this serie licensed ?
condi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-16, 04:33   Link #8
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by condi
is this serie licensed ?
You can always look at some of the more obvious places to check this for yourself.

On the AnimeSuki font page there is a link called Licensed List

Or in the forum (the one this post used to be in), there is a thread that not only lists number of episodes but if the series has been licensed or not, How Many Episodes: Answered here!.

As well as places such as AnimeNfo, AnimeOnDVD, and so on, and so on.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-16, 05:21   Link #9
Shenlong

Saikano anoyed me by trying too hard to mess with my emotions, subtly works wonders.. I like sad animes as much as the next person as long as there is a point.. needless to say I think saikano is overrated
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-16, 09:37   Link #10
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

The SaiKano anime did a lot of things wrong, but the story itself was strong enough to pull it out of the gutter.

First of all, they killed off too many important characters without telling you anything about them, then killed off more characters... and that scene in the mountains with the chick (who's boyfriend never died in the manga... *snoopy spits at the production crew*) never even should have happened. All in all, the most heartbreaking parts were watered down more than most of you would believe if I bothered to explain it, and some of them were skipped entirely.

But see? The story was still there, so people are still talking about it. It's a testament to Takahashi Shin that not even animators could ruin SaiKano.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-16, 11:48   Link #11
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

For a guy, I found it real sappy and rather unreal. Too much freakin' emotions involved. I can understand why a lot of people like that's what convinced me to watch it in the first place but I think the male lead is just retarded.
Gaara11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 21:42   Link #12
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

I'll always fondly remember this anime as setting a new record in "projectile blood vomiting". Seemed to be a up-and-coming anime trend at the time (think Mohoromatic and a few others), but SaiKano had so many "dramatic" upchuck and die scenes it kind of lost its shock factor.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-27, 14:01   Link #13
blackXkatze
Inactive Member

eheheh.. =[
blackXkatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-28, 23:40   Link #14
jackass jimm

great anime...the boring parts at the beginning paved the way for all the killing in the later episodes...

and what about non developed characters.....they all had enough to make you feel sad for them dying.

the purple haired girl was that she went out with the guy that died at the beginning....and that she felt that she betrayed him..or at least others think that.

the bet friend had always supported the main character........and then it turns out that it was cause she liked the main guy too.sheesh..and she was too nervous., you just see all that work she put into it to put the two main guys toghether and then she was really suffering inside.

the friend that died in the war was nice...how form calmness to the havoc happened. and that he didnt get to se the main character suked..i was hoping for it.

the main guy kinda suked...didnt like him much..his conflicts didnt seem to be too big..........

the main characters problems were wierd and stuff...but nice.....

to me, the side characters deaths were what made this good...and the final part wherethe main character tried her all to protect...and the ending...wow..just white.....i feel sorry for the main guy

sorry for all the main guy, character, purple hair.....dotn remember names.......
jackass jimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-29, 00:39   Link #15
aquilus
Dismember!

I liked Saikano, although the ending had an air of grandiose vanity ... in a negative way. But anything with such a storyline is damn hard to ruin. Perhaps some of the side characters killed were a tad underdeveloped, but their demise fitted the plot otherwise. The way that everything gradually went to shit regardless of what anyone did appealed to me ... overall, enjoyment value was damn high. Well worth the purchase, IŽd say - perhaps something that I should do too.
aquilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 16:14   Link #16
Tboz

I just finish the whole 13 episodes in one seating.

To describe my experience, I was knocked totally speechless and exhausted after watching the characters thrash out their problems in the grim apocalyptical settings and I'm very sympathatic toward their feeling of pessimism and helplessness.

A truely depressing series we are looking at here.

Some parts that I don't understand...

Spoiler:
I can't find any useful Saikano articles on the net.

Can someone fill me in?

Thanks...
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-07, 00:30   Link #17
Onegai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboz
I just finish the whole 13 episodes in one seating.

To describe my experience, I was knocked totally speechless and exhausted after watching the characters thrash out their problems in the grim apocalyptical settings and I'm very sympathatic toward their feeling of pessimism and helplessness.

A truely depressing series we are looking at here.

Some parts that I don't understand...

Spoiler:
I can't find any useful Saikano articles on the net.

Can someone fill me in?

Thanks...

Spoiler:
Onegai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-07, 00:45   Link #18
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegai
I believe she refered to herself in the third person because thats what an automation would do, since it wouldn't consider itself as a person or entity.
I got the feeling this was the case here too. Still it seems like referring to yourself in the third person may not be as strange in Japanese as in English. A lot of Anime characters seem to do it from time to time (like when a girl is trying to act cute). The translators will sometimes replace it with just an "I" or "me" though.

Last edited by PocariSweat; 2003-12-07 at 01:28.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-07, 01:25   Link #19
Go-lytely

Most of the time when you speak Japanese in the third person it is a) you're trying to act like an idiot or b) you're trying to act cute.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-07, 06:23   Link #20
Tboz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegai
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I think I should get my hands on the manga one of this days.
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance