Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-02, 18:07   Link #1
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y

I'm at a stopping point.

I have extreme problems with finding suitable manga/anime for me, I can't seem to find anything that I haven't seen before, I'd be extremely suprised if anyone could find something I haven't heard of or read before.. I've been reading manga since the first release of the english translation of Dragon Ball, and I began watching the anime to it shortly after, meaning that I've been reading/watching manga/anime for longer than I can remember.

And I haven't really had any major breaks from it or anything. So now, I am at the point where I am rewatching every single thing I've liked, and rereading every single thing I've liked. I use hours of my free time every single day to find something new that I would like. If anyone could give a suggestion, to something I might like, and I haven't read it before, I will love you till the day I stop breathing.

Manga / Anime I've liked/loved - Alot more than these 3, but they give a quite good overlook on what I like and such. Or maybe not.. But, please, suggest.

D. Gray-man ( MANGA/ANIME ) - I finished re-reading the manga up to the most recent update yesterday, after having watched the whole anime. I simply just adore this series. I love the main lead, that being Allen Walker to death, I love his kindness, I love how he acts, I love how he is mysterious in his own ways. And about the series, I would love anything that has somewhat some of the elements that this master-piece (in my mind) has. The darkness, the somewhat unexpected mindfucks, the not knowing what is going to happen ( Even though sometimes it gets abit obvious) The fact that he doesn't know who his real enemy is. Just D. Gray-man overall probably conquers as my favorite series of all time.

ID ( MANHWA ) - This is another favorite of mine, about a boy from a different world, is warped to a completely different world for reasons that unfold later in the series. What I love about this series, is mostly the main character, how he is awesomely andrognyous ( If you have anything with an andrognyous male lead, please tell me! ) There's not really much to say about this series, other than I love it.

The Breaker and The Breaker: New Waves ( MANHWA ) - Another favorite of mine ( I seem to have quite a few of those. ) This tells the story of a korean boy with no physical abilities in the least, but who can muster up incredible courage and spirit just by using his will. He is relunctantly trained by an incredibly strong martial arts master, who is also his school teacher, after a few turns of events. ( Blackmailing ftw. ) New waves is the continuation for where the first left off.

To put this simple, I'll just mention what I do not like.

I do not like:

I do not like manga/anime where the story surrounds or is about the female lead.
I do not like shoujo-ai/yuri
I do not like slapstick humour
I do not like way too unserious manga/anime
I do not like extreme perverts as the lead
I do not like weak-willed leads who give up easily.
I do not like unintellligent leads.
I do not like leads who cannot muster the courage to speak properly.
I do not like overly masculine leads.

I love:

I love andrognyous male leads, meaning that the story has to be with him in the main role.
I love white hair ( Allen Walker. <3 )
I love real romance ( Does not happen without reason, and is more than just holding hands. )
I love martial arts

That is all for now, please feel free to come with all the suggestions you can muster, though take in mind that I've watched at a minimum 1000 anime's, and read minimum 800 manga's, so don't bother suggesting the overly popular anime and manga, like Naruto, Bleach, etc.

Last edited by Behemoth; 2012-01-02 at 19:23.
Old 2012-01-02, 18:36   Link #2
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Androgynous male lead with white hair is what you get with Turn A Gundam, not sure if that fits with your overall request though

Which of your criteria is most important?
Old 2012-01-02, 19:07   Link #3
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

No matter what you love the most, but i'm sure this title will please you very much: Steins:Gate. (If you have already watched it, do not mind reading the following textwall)

It got awesome suspense and time travelling mindfucking, gives loads of emotions and the characters are wonderful. The protagonist is fucking cool, really, watch the first episode and you'll immediately understand why (Afterall one episode is only 20 mins). I cannot put up words to explain how much wonderful he is, i'm sure you'll love him. He really gives the feeling of being the protagonist. Also, the artwork is fantastic, there are no chibi faces or slapstick humor or retarded expressions or anything else. It's a serious animation but still provides many laughs. The whole atmosphere is awesome, and the opening is even cool.

Watch the first two episodes, and you'll understand why. Sadly, it doesn't contains martial arts or white haired characters, but it has an outstanding suspense atmosphere, it's thrilling and will give you many chills. It's not an horror with scary things, but still will give you many emotions and chills. There is romance in it, but i won't spoil you much more about this last thing. Just know that there is romance. THERE IS. No matter what you think in the beginning, THERE IS. You actually should have stopped reading my textwall and have already begun watching it.

There are other titles that contain what you love, and that do not feature what you hate, but i'll name them just after you watch the first episode of S:G and tell me your opinions. Trust me, if you like a realistic setting with sci-fi element and cool characters, this will become your favorite title.
Old 2012-01-02, 19:14   Link #4
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I do not like:
I do not like manga/anime where the story surrounds or is about the female lead.
Awww... The former at least is really limiting yourself...
lol, anyways...

Have you read Tower of God? Quite a few andrognyous side characters at least... Another great korean web comic is Noblesse.

I don't really know what to suggest. Sounds like you've watched/read at least as much as me and I don't bother looking for new anime beyond currently airing anymore... For manga, I could suggest practically anything or nothing and it's likely you'd have read it anyways... your stipulations aside there are a hundred great manga I could list, but that seems kind of pointless...
Old 2012-01-02, 19:17   Link #5
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
Androgynous male lead with white hair is what you get with Turn A Gundam, not sure if that fits with your overall request though

Which of your criteria is most important?
Turn A Gundam I've seen alot of. Thank you for reminding me, I never got to the ending of it.

Well, to be honest, I'm not too picky aslong as they don't involve too many of my dislikes. o:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
No matter what you love the most, but i'm sure this title will please you very much: Steins:Gate. (If you have already watched it, do not mind reading the following textwall)

It got awesome suspense and time travelling mindfucking, gives loads of emotions and the characters are wonderful. The protagonist is fucking cool, really, watch the first episode and you'll immediately understand why (Afterall one episode is only 20 mins). I cannot put up words to explain how much wonderful he is, i'm sure you'll love him. He really gives the feeling of being the protagonist. Also, the artwork is fantastic, there are no chibi faces or slapstick humor or retarded expressions or anything else. It's a serious animation but still provides many laughs. The whole atmosphere is awesome, and the opening is even cool.

Watch the first two episodes, and you'll understand why. Sadly, it doesn't contains martial arts or white haired characters, but it has an outstanding suspense atmosphere, it's thrilling and will give you many chills. It's not an horror with scary things, but still will give you many emotions and chills. There is romance in it, but i won't spoil you much more about this last thing. Just know that there is romance. THERE IS. No matter what you think in the beginning, THERE IS. You actually should have stopped reading my textwall and have already begun watching it.

There are other titles that contain what you love, and that do not feature what you hate, but i'll name them just after you watch the first episode of S:G and tell me your opinions. Trust me, if you like a realistic setting with sci-fi element and cool characters, this will become your favorite title.
Steins;Gate, I've heard of it, and seen the opening, but I never got around to watching it.. I'll begin watching it right now, and I'll shortly return with my opinion. Thank you for the huge textwall.

And about it not having white haired boys or martial arts, that doesn't really matter, it's only what I enjoy the most, based on previous experiences. I'm not going to love an anime solely based on the colour of their hair, or if there is martial arts in it, but it's just if it is there, it will make me love the anime more by quite a sum. c:
Old 2012-01-02, 19:19   Link #6
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Awww... The former at least is really limiting yourself...
lol, anyways...

Have you read Tower of God? Quite a few andrognyous side characters at least... Another great korean web comic is Noblesse.

I don't really know what to suggest. Sounds like you've watched/read at least as much as me and I don't bother looking for new anime beyond currently airing anymore... For manga, I could suggest practically anything or nothing and it's likely you'd have read it anyways... your stipulations aside there are a hundred great manga I could list, but that seems kind of pointless...
Yeah, I am really limiting myself. xD But I really can't watch it properly, because I cannot put myself into the role of a female.. Weirdly enough, I don't mind shounen-ai despite being completely straight.. Well, enough of that..

Well, I'd very much like if you suggested something, chance is I've read it or seen it before, but there's a even higher chance that I'd like to resee it, or reread it, or it might just be something I haven't seen before. c:

EDIT: And yes, I've seen Tower of God and Noblesse. I kinda stopped reading Tower of God when it got to the point of the weird fish, and sharks, and so forth.. And I've also read Noblesse, up untill the point of where Rai returns to the castle, I need to follow up on the rest of the content that has happened from there. c:
Old 2012-01-02, 19:49   Link #7
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y

Quote:

Hmm, I finished the first episode.. I had a hard time following what was going on and such, but the ending of the first episode hooked me on. Though, I think I forgot to mention that I prefer if the boy is.. How to say it, looks abit younger maybe. But that doesn't matter, though it's probably gonna annoy me abit in the long run. c: But I can agree that the main character is quite awesome in his own way.. I'll keep it watching it.. You said something about other titles? o:
Old 2012-01-02, 19:51   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd be curious to see whether you'd like Bakeneko and its sequel, Mononoke. They have none of the things you dislike, though they don't have romance either.
Old 2012-01-02, 19:58   Link #9
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

It's okay if the first episode left you with things undone. Those things will get cleared up later on. Let's say the last episodes haha. It's exactly that reason that made me watch it to full. The more you go on, the more it gets interesting, and arrived at some point you just cannot stop for obvious reasons(that will appear to you at that moment)

The boy is actually 18, he just looks older. The girl is 18 aswell. Don't be fooled by appearances.

Anyways, i'd suggest you to keep watching it, since what kinda stops you doing so are just misunderstandings.

Oh ye, a title that would kinda fit your requirements is Tenjou Tenge: it contains lots of fighting (martial arts perhaps), some fantasy element of course (otherwise fights would be boring; nothing too unreal like fire magic or other stuff: just things that would break physical laws or perhaps go beyond human strenght). The whole story is built on romance all the way. The cause of all the problems is a relationship. It's a very interesting anime, doesn't get boring at all, the protagonist is a boy. The atmosphere would be serious but there are many funny moments that sway you from that idea. I'm sure you'll like it. Still, i suggest you first watch the 2nd episode of S:G for your good haha.
Old 2012-01-02, 19:59   Link #10
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'd be curious to see whether you'd like Bakeneko and its sequel, Mononoke. They have none of the things you dislike, though they don't have romance either.
I'd have to look further into that, I think I've read the first chapter of Mononoke, and was brought to a halt for some odd reason, but I'll give it a retry. c: Bakeneko I've heard about it before, but never really got around to see if I like it. c: Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into it. c:
Old 2012-01-02, 20:04   Link #11
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Quote:
I'd have to look further into that, I think I've read the first chapter of Mononoke, and was brought to a halt for some odd reason, but I'll give it a retry. c: Bakeneko I've heard about it before, but never really got around to see if I like it. c: Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into it. c:
Forgot to mention another fighting anime, that is a bit old tho: Yu Yu Hakusho (If you already watched it, do not mind reading the following)

It contains awesome fights, the characters are cool, the romance is only 1% of this anime, and actually comes at play very few times (the last episode actually shows it off) but still i didn't get the need for it, since the fighting was just awesome. It surely contains fantasy things, but they are somehow bearable. The fantasy level of naruto i'd say, something less perhaps. The first season counts a total of 60 episodes, of which the first ones are light and more about the protagonist's resurrecting(he dies the first episode, but it will explained), the remaining is about a fighting tournament in a demon world.

There was something else, i'll check my list.

EDIT
Maybe you skipped my post above, just to say
Old 2012-01-02, 20:16   Link #12
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y

Quote:
It's okay if the first episode left you with things undone. Those things will get cleared up later on. Let's say the last episodes haha. It's exactly that reason that made me watch it to full. The more you go on, the more it gets interesting, and arrived at some point you just cannot stop for obvious reasons(that will appear to you at that moment)

The boy is actually 18, he just looks older. The girl is 18 aswell. Don't be fooled by appearances.

Anyways, i'd suggest you to keep watching it, since what kinda stops you doing so are just misunderstandings.

Oh ye, a title that would kinda fit your requirements is Tenjou Tenge: it contains lots of fighting (martial arts perhaps), some fantasy element of course (otherwise fights would be boring; nothing too unreal like fire magic or other stuff: just things that would break physical laws or perhaps go beyond human strenght). The whole story is built on romance all the way. The cause of all the problems is a relationship. It's a very interesting anime, doesn't get boring at all, the protagonist is a boy. The atmosphere would be serious but there are many funny moments that sway you from that idea. I'm sure you'll like it. Still, i suggest you first watch the 2nd episode of S:G for your good haha.
Ah, don't worry, I'm not going to stop watching it. The last few words in the first episode kept me hooked.. I'm definitely watching the second episode.. I've seen Tenjou Tenge, I've watched the whole anime, and read the whole manga. A quite enjoyable seen, though with blatently obvious fanservice. xD

Quote:
Forgot to mention another fighting anime, that is a bit old tho: Yu Yu Hakusho (If you already watched it, do not mind reading the following)

It contains awesome fights, the characters are cool, the romance is only 1% of this anime, and actually comes at play very few times (the last episode actually shows it off) but still i didn't get the need for it, since the fighting was just awesome. It surely contains fantasy things, but they are somehow bearable. The fantasy level of naruto i'd say, something less perhaps. The first season counts a total of 60 episodes, of which the first ones are light and more about the protagonist's resurrecting(he dies the first episode, but it will explained), the remaining is about a fighting tournament in a demon world.

There was something else, i'll check my list.

EDIT
Maybe you skipped my post above, just to say
Ah, I've seen all the way up to the tournament, and I've also seen to the point where he gets his special powers. ( Which I can't see to remember for some odd reason. ) I think It'll be going to my rewatch list. c: I've also read the manga for it, but that was a looooooooooong time ago, so I can't remember anything distinctly different from the anime and the manga.

Don't worry, I didn't, I just made some food. c:
Old 2012-01-02, 20:20   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Have you read Tekken Chinmi and Ryuroden? Both has dependable male leads and martial arts. There's also some similarly themed manga like Vagabond, Shin Angyo Onshi and Kamen Rider Spirits. All of them are serious manga.
Old 2012-01-02, 20:32   Link #14
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Have you read Tekken Chinmi and Ryuroden? Both has dependable male leads and martial arts. There's also some similarly themed manga like Vagabond, Shin Angyo Onshi and Kamen Rider Spirits. All of them are serious manga.
Ooooh, Ryuroden looks pretty interesting. And I've only looked at Ironfist Chinmi once, and back then the old look scared me away, but I don't mind anymore, so I'll give it a go. I absolutely adore Vagabond, but I haven't taken the chance to pick it up again, thank you for reminding me. Haha, Kamen Rider, nostalgia. The title scared me away a few years ago, but I'm desperate now, so even if the name reminds me of Power Rangers, I will read it nonetheless
Old 2012-01-02, 20:55   Link #15
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I think it would be much easier for us to recommend you something if you post your MAL or AniDB account, assuming you have one, since you claim to have seen a lot of anime and manga.

And I really think you should consider seeing more anime/manga with female protagonists. Women are humans too, and they go through most of the emotional hurdles that men go through, despite what some people may say. And as Jedinat said, you're limiting yourself by eliminating a lot of anime and manga that you might actually enjoy. This is just a bit of advice to help you enjoy entertainment more; you're not obligated to follow it.
Old 2012-01-02, 21:25   Link #16
kitten320

Quote:
Weirdly enough, I don't mind shounen-ai despite being completely straight.. Well, enough of that..
Lol jut like me but in reverse

I'll just mention my top ones that I consider to be worth watching even though you probably saw some of them:

Ghost Hunt - series about ghost hunting. If you like ghost stories and detectives, you'll love it!

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - one of my faves, had re-watched it once and it felt like first watch. It has great characters and story. Some things are obvious but some are quiet unexpected. It destroys some of the morals what made some people rage while I loved it even more.

Shiki - series about a village where people start to die and epidemic is suspected, but is it really the case?

GTO - main character is a perv but he is an awesome perv! I also don't like pervy characters but I really adore Onizuka. One of the best characters and a really good and entertaining story. Has a lot of humor but also drama.

Baccano - has one of the most unique story telling approaches. Really liked how story was put together, how small insignificant scenes at the start happened to have a huge deal in the future.

FMA (both seasons) - I'll be surprised if you didn't see it.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - has some very memorable characters, for me it is Mario who actually was inspiring. I also liked the drama and story, really strong series.

Berserk - entertaining series about friendship, dreams, trust and betrayal and loss.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai are comedy series but with very unique main character. Has romance but is on the edge of being harem. But still worth a look, I really like it.

Rosario + Vampire is a good manga with male lead who is pathetic at first but he really grows in the future and becomes cool. It is harem show though and has some ecchi moments. But it is really good in my opinion. Anime is crap though...

And as people said above, I also think you should give a shot to some female leads. There are a lot of cool shows and you don't always have to be girly to understand the heroines. Actually there are a lot of female leads that aren't that much different from male leads.
Old 2012-01-02, 22:06   Link #17
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I think it would be much easier for us to recommend you something if you post your MAL or AniDB account, assuming you have one, since you claim to have seen a lot of anime and manga.

And I really think you should consider seeing more anime/manga with female protagonists. Women are humans too, and they go through most of the emotional hurdles that men go through, despite what some people may say. And as Jedinat said, you're limiting yourself by eliminating a lot of anime and manga that you might actually enjoy. This is just a bit of advice to help you enjoy entertainment more; you're not obligated to follow it.
I sadly don't use any of those. D: I've never really thought about making one before, perhaps I should give it a try.

You're getting me worried here. D: Please don't think of me as an anti-feminist. Females are more human than men will ever be. I respect women, and I always have done that, and I always will do that, but I've noticed that I do not enjoy anime with a female lead, and I don't know why. I think it has got to do with the fact that I put myself into the role of a male lead when I watch anime, or read manga ( Weird, I know. Q n Q; ) But do not misunderstand, there are a few anime/manga I liked where the female was the lead. I cannot remember any right now, but it is mostly the ones where the lead is often shared with the male protagonist.

Please don't think I dislike it simply because it is put in the perspective of a female. c:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Lol jut like me but in reverse

I'll just mention my top ones that I consider to be worth watching even though you probably saw some of them:

Ghost Hunt - series about ghost hunting. If you like ghost stories and detectives, you'll love it!

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - one of my faves, had re-watched it once and it felt like first watch. It has great characters and story. Some things are obvious but some are quiet unexpected. It destroys some of the morals what made some people rage while I loved it even more.

Shiki - series about a village where people start to die and epidemic is suspected, but is it really the case?

GTO - main character is a perv but he is an awesome perv! I also don't like pervy characters but I really adore Onizuka. One of the best characters and a really good and entertaining story. Has a lot of humor but also drama.

Baccano - has one of the most unique story telling approaches. Really liked how story was put together, how small insignificant scenes at the start happened to have a huge deal in the future.

FMA (both seasons) - I'll be surprised if you didn't see it.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - has some very memorable characters, for me it is Mario who actually was inspiring. I also liked the drama and story, really strong series.

Berserk - entertaining series about friendship, dreams, trust and betrayal and loss.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai are comedy series but with very unique main character. Has romance but is on the edge of being harem. But still worth a look, I really like it.

Rosario + Vampire is a good manga with male lead who is pathetic at first but he really grows in the future and becomes cool. It is harem show though and has some ecchi moments. But it is really good in my opinion. Anime is crap though...

And as people said above, I also think you should give a shot to some female leads. There are a lot of cool shows and you don't always have to be girly to understand the heroines. Actually there are a lot of female leads that aren't that much different from male leads.
I'll look them all through. o: And yes, I know that I am missing out on a lot of good content, but each time I attempt to read a shoujo / jousei anime/manga I simply find myself stopping halfway through. D:

Well, I'll be going to sleep now, it's about 4AM here. c: Please do keep suggesting while I sleep, and I'll return as soon as I've been granted freedom. c:

TL;DR - I'm no anti-feminist, I'll look through it after I've slept, bai. c:
Old 2012-01-02, 22:30   Link #18
Elegance

Valkyria Chronicles - intelligent, more than holding hands.
I second Phantom Requiem For The Phantom
Spice & Wolf- somewhat intelligent, more than holding hands?, white hair
Old 2012-01-02, 23:27   Link #19
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
You're getting me worried here. D: Please don't think of me as an anti-feminist. Females are more human than men will ever be. I respect women, and I always have done that, and I always will do that, but I've noticed that I do not enjoy anime with a female lead, and I don't know why. I think it has got to do with the fact that I put myself into the role of a male lead when I watch anime, or read manga ( Weird, I know. Q n Q; ) But do not misunderstand, there are a few anime/manga I liked where the female was the lead. I cannot remember any right now, but it is mostly the ones where the lead is often shared with the male protagonist.

Please don't think I dislike it simply because it is put in the perspective of a female. c:
I'm sorry for the insensitive insinuation.

As per your original request, I picked out a few great manga and anime which fulfill most your criteria, although I have no idea if you've tried them out already or not.

Recommended Manga:

Mon Seul
This is a well-written, deathly serious drama centered around the themes of family, trust, and lies. There is also a romance that involves far more than just holding hands, and it drives much of the story. After you finish the first chapter, it's pretty much a non-stop page-turner until the end. It's only 5 chapters long, so I highly recommend that you just read it.

Pluto
Pluto is just amazing. Even though most of its main characters are robots, it is an extraordinarily human story with much emotion, charm, and pathos. Not to mention, the art is of HOLY COW AWESOME quality. One of the best manga I've read so far.

Recommended Anime:

Texhnolyze
This anime is one of a kind. It's well-directed with sparse dialogue and lots of brilliant visual cues. It's also absolutely devoid of any type of humor. The setting is mysterious but well-established. You'll especially like this if you like dystopias or cyberpunk fiction.

Eve no Jikan
This is also based on robots, but it takes more of a perspective on the social interactions between robots and humans. This is quite a bit of humor, but it's not omnipresent, and there isn't much slapstick. It's worth watching for its several stories about robots, and the vivid animation and music brings it to live wonderfully.
Old 2012-01-03, 03:00   Link #20
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I'll just throw in Yureka here, it's a manhwa about a kid who meets a super-strong girl in an MMO and tries to unlock the mysteries behind her. While it focuses a lot on Yureka, all characters get some spotlight, and the MC more than the rest, of course. It has a VERY good plot, interesting characters and a fun setup.
Quote:
I do not like manga/anime where the story surrounds or is about the female lead
So much for Claymore and Kurohime...
Quote:
No Berserk or Jackals either then?
Quote:
I do not like slapstick humour
I do not like way too unserious manga/anime
I do not like extreme perverts as the lead
I do not like weak-willed leads who give up easily.
I do not like unintellligent leads.
I do not like leads who cannot muster the courage to speak properly.
Based on ALL of these, I will close with The world god only knows. Very smart guy who has to capture the hearts of many girls, does not give up and his life depends on it.
Closed Thread