AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-11-18, 23:22   Link #30921
Mr Coin
Heads or Tails?

Out of all the characters in MSLN, Fate is the most Mary Sue. She's after all - the most broken of the three Aces.
Mr Coin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 23:30   Link #30922
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well there is that, but Nanoha is loved by all...one way or another.
Old 2011-11-18, 23:36   Link #30923
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coin View Post
Out of all the characters in MSLN, Fate is the most Mary Sue. She's after all - the most broken of the three Aces.
Agreed, Nanoha has evolved into a pretty powerfull mage but at the cost of many beatings and she always end up struggling against impossibly strong opponent's and lately she only wins her battles by pushing herself far beyond her limits with the obvious consequences. So yeah, not very Mary Su-ish.

Fate is the most balanced of the Three Aces, while not as assorted as Nanoha's arsenal, Fate also posses some heavy firepower attacks and is a proficient attacker in every range which gives her an edge over Hayate and good chances to beat Nanoha if the chance arises.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 23:38   Link #30924
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
methinks this conversation is supposed to be in theories |3

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-18, 23:46   Link #30925
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Huh?

Unless you mean "broken" in that sense..and are just being sarcastic. Then okay.

I don't think any Nanoha character is a Mary Sue, but Nanoha best fits the bill, as she learned magic almost instantly, and proceeded to use it to beat some of the most powerful mages in the Nanoverse.
Old 2011-11-18, 23:51   Link #30926
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
There are no Mary Sues in the series proper; considering what a Mary Sue is.

It may be true that Nanoha is an idealistic series, and that has an effect on character portrayal, but still..,

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 00:23   Link #30927
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Hayate has doubts that she could even win Caro lol, Fate will kick her butt in a flash.
Old 2011-11-19, 00:31   Link #30928
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Well yeah, Hayate is definitely not geared towards solo battles.
Old 2011-11-19, 00:34   Link #30929
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Fate - Close Range.
Nanoha - Mid Range.
Hayate - Long Range.

I think it works out pretty well.
Old 2011-11-19, 00:44   Link #30930
Mr Coin
Heads or Tails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Huh?

Unless you mean "broken" in that sense..and are just being sarcastic. Then okay.

I don't think any Nanoha character is a Mary Sue, but Nanoha best fits the bill, as she learned magic almost instantly, and proceeded to use it to beat some of the most powerful mages in the Nanoverse.
Fate obeyed her mother like a doll just to get her mother's love despite getting abused made her look so broken.

Thank Saint Kaiser that Nanoha meet her.

Getting turned into a punching bag and being treated as an insect by her own mother does not make her mary sue... She is much more of a "cute little fluffy puppy being kicked" person.

It's just that some authors and doujin makers(if there was) of fanon made her so mary sue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
There are no Mary Sues in the series proper; considering what a Mary Sue is.

It may be true that Nanoha is an idealistic series, and that has an effect on character portrayal, but still..,
Canon is not Mary Sue... fanon made things so exaggerated and Mary sue.

I don't mind the exaggeration (example: Nanoha destroyed a freaking planet by possible means by traveling to the planet's core and used a Blaster 3 Starlight Breaker).

The mary sue was just a turn-off (example: Nanoha was getting punished by her own parents for being different, she is a super genius with a photo-graphic memory, she has a linker core of SSS magic power, she is an admiral at the age of 9. She can destroy worlds with the mere swing of her pinky finger. And she is self righteous and always right. And much more)
Old 2011-11-19, 00:54   Link #30931
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Coin, in the case of discussions of mary sues and the like (which really should be taken elsewhere at this point), the term "broken" refers to gamebreaking, and not being mentally or physically broken. Think GaoGaiGar being used in Gundam--that kind of broken.
Old 2011-11-19, 00:57   Link #30932
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Old_Iron
Been a while since I posted anything in this thread. I should remedy that. No real rhyme or reason behind the contents, but I have to say that Subaru and Schach are looking rather sexy here.

Old 2011-11-19, 01:00   Link #30933
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:

It's just that some authors and doujin makers(if there was) of fanon made her so mary sue.

So I guess you're referring to fanfics then? I suppose they can alter a character to however they want in order to compliment the story.
Old 2011-11-19, 01:18   Link #30934
Mr Coin
Heads or Tails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Coin, in the case of discussions of mary sues and the like (which really should be taken elsewhere at this point), the term "broken" refers to gamebreaking, and not being mentally or physically broken. Think GaoGaiGar being used in Gundam--that kind of broken.
Thanks for the lesson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Iron View Post
Been a while since I posted anything in this thread. I should remedy that. No real rhyme or reason behind the contents, but I have to say that Subaru and Schach are looking rather sexy here.

Sein: You can't touch me

Snach: Yes I will! *super rage mode*
Old 2011-11-19, 01:44   Link #30935
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
Fate - Close Range.
Nanoha - Mid Range.
Hayate - Long Range.

I think it works out pretty well.
Except Fate has shooting and bombardment spells which are competitive with Nanoha's. Was Thunder Smasher noticeably inferior compared to Divine Buster? What about Photon Lancer, regular and Genocide Shift?

Fate doesn't have Starlight Breaker, but she does have the Electricity conversion affinity and weather-control powers that let her use lightning bolts for power ups.

Fate's defenses are weaker, but she has superior speed. And her close range abilities are superior.

Nanoha won their final duel because she used Starlight Breaker, and probably also because Fate had spent the last week or so neglecting her health while hunting Jewel Seeds on the run from the Arthra's sensors and mages.

Nanoha was also no where near as psychologically conflicted.

I know that Nanoha is the main character and all, but Fate is honestly a much more skilled and possibly more overall powerful combat mage.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 01:49   Link #30936
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
why are we having a debate in the image thread x_x

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 02:01   Link #30937
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
I know that Nanoha is the main character and all, but Fate is honestly a much more skilled and possibly more overall powerful combat mage.
True, Fate is superior to Nanoha in the overall aspects of skill and physical prowess but in the general scenario Nanoha has developed a key advantage in the form of her experience and constant training. Fate is sort of a Detective so it means she isn't always fighting and most of the time she needs to do report and investigation work while Nanoha, as an instructor, improves and tune-up her skills as also mantains her physical prowess by the constant practice and battle analysis. Probably Fate didn't have much to worry about her physique or abilities due to her innate talent and augmented body but Nanoha is always ready and fine tuned for a magical battle which is one of her most recognizable and dangerous traits, one that makes her unique among more careless powerhouses like Fate or Signum.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-11-19, 02:40   Link #30938
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

It doesn't really matter which character seems stronger on paper. Titular character armor is always going to have Nanoha coming out on top.
Old 2011-11-19, 02:56   Link #30939
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Iron View Post
That image would have been epic if not for that godawful pigeon toe. =__= Why do all the anime artists believe so fervently that being a woman automatically gives you feet deformities? Seiko is a combat mage, goddamn it, and that's not a stance a fighter should stand in![/rant]

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
why are we having a debate in the image thread x_x
My guess? Folks here are yearning for moderator attention.

EDIT: Page claim for badass women who fight in a proper stance instead of mimicking the allegedly cutesy pigeon toes.
Old 2011-11-19, 03:23   Link #30940
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

^ To be fair the image looks like it's after a battle so Stern didn't have the need to be in a "fight stance".

~The ASFB~

Tags
images, nanoha, nsfw