AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-08-03, 07:48   Link #101
Riful
Of The West

Just by flipping through the english volumes 8 and 9 (for the moment I only buy the Japanese and French versions) I realized a few translation mistakes.

And they really messed up Flora's lines "Shut up you lot" from Flora ??!! She uses a really polite language, why did they make her speak like Undine .........

And did you noticed they really translated "Yuma" as "Uma".
Riful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 00:50   Link #102
philmein

Just wondering, episode 18 of the anime corresponds to what volume of the manga?

I'm thinking about whether I should buy the current nine volumes releases thus far..
philmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 01:02   Link #103
sexg0d

Send a message via ICQ to sexg0d Send a message via MSN to sexg0d
hi, was wondering if anyone in the asia pacific area(im in sydney, australia) knows of a place where i can buy volume 1?

everywhere i looked is out of stock and unable to find any suppliers with it available.

Kinokuniya is the main manga source in sydney for me but they have ran out of sources to get the book for me.

any help appreciated
Old 2007-08-07, 05:20   Link #104
Riful
Of The West

The english manga and anime are almost at the exactly same point right now, with today's episode the manga will be left behind. So there are no spoilers or whatsoever to worry about- only a big shock with Flora's modified character XD
Old 2007-08-07, 13:37   Link #105
philmein

Ah, I see thanks man.

Do you also know what the total number of volumes will be for this series? I hear its 25 volumes.
Old 2007-08-07, 13:44   Link #106
Riful
Of The West

I'm not a man XD Well, we don't know for sure, apparently Yagi said it could maybe fit into 25 volumes. So it's the only estimation we have so far, but it can always change.
Old 2007-08-07, 13:56   Link #107
philmein

rofl...my bad hahahaha

Wow, honestly, this could take another 10 years to finish. Damn, I'll be 30 by then. *cries*
Old 2007-08-09, 03:12   Link #108
Riful
Of The West

I'm very confused over the official translation of the scene with Riful at the end of their fight.

She doesn't sense Alicia at all. She says "the organisation managed to create the likes of you" as if talking to Clare & Co.

She says as well "I hate having to reveal my full powers" - but she didn't reveal her FULL powers at all oO

and to Dauf she says "sorry Dauf can't have you dying on me. You held me off. And didn't break despite my efforts" ... doesn't that mean that they were fighting and she didn't beat him?

Maybe it's just me misunderstanding the english phrases ...?
Old 2007-08-09, 04:25   Link #109
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

In all honesty they were just (suprisingly) badly translated lines, volume 9 had alot more of them then the previous volumes (to my disappointment).
Old 2007-08-09, 04:31   Link #110
Riful
Of The West

How come, did they change translators or something?
Old 2007-08-09, 12:17   Link #111
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
She doesn't sense Alicia at all. She says "the organisation managed to create the likes of you" as if talking to Clare & Co.
Not entirely sure, there. She says that while looking out at the mountains, not at Clare & Co. (we just see her back). She could very well be referring to either of them. It seems to be a deliberately ambiguous statement.

Quote:
She says as well "I hate having to reveal my full powers" - but she didn't reveal her FULL powers at all oO
No, but she did have to transform to stop the fight, and I get the feeling that she doesn't like to have to take any active part at all. That she had to step in means she had to reveal her true form, which implies actual use of her power rather than just being a cute little girl. It also shows a small bit of her hand to Alicia, if Riful could indeed sense her.

Quote:
and to Dauf she says "sorry Dauf can't have you dying on me. You held me off. And didn't break despite my efforts" ... doesn't that mean that they were fighting and she didn't beat him?
It seems a bad transition point. I'm pretty sure that the second half ("you held me off..") is directed at Clare et al. Riful seemed sure that she had 'won' the fight a few different times, but they kept fighting back up to the point where Riful herself had to take action. However the problem is that it's positioned at the bottom corner of that page, not at the start of the next where she drops Jean.

Quote:
How come, did they change translators or something?
They don't credit specific translators in Claymore, only "Arashi Productions", so there's no way of knowing for sure. However a number of the other credits have changed in volume 9 compared to previous volumes, most notably the removal of "Managing Editor/Francis E. Wall". Not sure how much of an impact that may have had, though.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 01:08   Link #112
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

i have a question regarding the manga. I dont know if i should invest my $ on CLAYMORE manga since i hear some negative comments on it. Did anyone here own the manga by any chance? if so, how accurate (to a certain percentage) do you know the manga to be well translated?
Shikimori Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 06:31   Link #113
Riful
Of The West

I think the US version of the manga is still well done. Apart from what I wrote above and a few changed names ("Rubel" and "Ilena"), I didn't realise any other problems with the translation. of course I might have missed some, didn't compare panel to panel either ^^ If you speak french I'd chose that version instead XD But else, the US version is well worth the money imho.
Old 2007-08-23, 18:53   Link #114
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riful View Post
I think the US version of the manga is still well done. Apart from what I wrote above and a few changed names ("Rubel" and "Ilena"), I didn't realise any other problems with the translation. of course I might have missed some, didn't compare panel to panel either ^^ If you speak french I'd chose that version instead XD But else, the US version is well worth the money imho.
Hm ok, i guess i will buy it considering Claymore is one of my favorites. Plus, I still want to follow the story plot. Theres so many plot holes yet to be solved. Like how were Yoma made, why hell there so many of them, where they originate etc. Up till now theres 10 volumes, guess i'll get em all during my anime con.
Shikimori Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 20:21   Link #115
guess

Reading form posts here, does that mean the manga involve Alicia in Riful arc?
Alicia doesn't show up in anime at all! Can soneone tell me how much manga differ from anime? I kind of flip thourgh first few volumes and found out that anime acutally follows manga almost word by word. Does it start to change at Riful Arc?
Old 2007-09-06, 00:13   Link #116
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Alicia doesn't show up in anime at all! Can soneone tell me how much manga differ from anime? I kind of flip thourgh first few volumes and found out that anime acutally follows manga almost word by word. Does it start to change at Riful Arc?
Yes it does.

At that time only some of the more attentful manga readers noticed the difference. But now it become clears that Madhouse was then already planning to deviate from the manga.
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 01:09   Link #117
DarkSide Hero
Hero From the Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikimori Kazuki View Post
i have a question regarding the manga. I dont know if i should invest my $ on CLAYMORE manga since i hear some negative comments on it. Did anyone here own the manga by any chance? if so, how accurate (to a certain percentage) do you know the manga to be well translated?
It is very well done, feels like it was fan translated. Much better than the shitlation you would get from tokyopop.
The woman yelled over her shoulder to her husband watching a game to ask who she was voting for. He responded, "we're votin' for the n***er!" The woman turned back to the canvasser and said matter-of-factly, "we're voting for the n***er."

In this economy, racism is officially a luxury.
DarkSide Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 12:48   Link #118
Riful
Of The West

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Yes it does

At that time only some of the more attentful manga readers noticed the difference. But now it become clears that Madhouse was then already planning to deviate from the manga.
I think they already left some tiny things out during Teresa's arc. For example Teresa's thoughts about her past (or did I simply forget that part in the anime?). And they already skipped something during Slasher's-Arc which might be back later on in the manga. I'd start the manga from Teresa's arc at least, before that the anime didn't skip anything I think.
Old 2007-09-07, 23:04   Link #119
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

The Anime skipped the second chapter of the Manga.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-08, 08:59   Link #120
Riful
Of The West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider View Post
The Anime skipped the second chapter of the Manga.
right, but it covered all the important parts and didn't leave out some storylines. They even ADDED something useful (background to Elena and Clare), which was lacking in the manga. (Of course I'd still read the manga from the beginning simply, doesn't take long anyway).

I really would have liked to contact Viz about their translation (especially make them correct the way Flora talkes, it's so entirely out of character), but they're really ... hard to contact. They don't seem to keep a lively contact with their readers ...