AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-18, 01:58   Link #761
Wusodoolo
Nintendo, ATHF, Haruhiism

Send a message via AIM to Wusodoolo
What is an ESPer?

I know this sounds really noobish, but what exactly is an ESPer? I hope this hasn't already been asked, I'm too tired to look at the whole thread. I would really like to know what an ESPer is.
Old 2007-11-18, 04:51   Link #762
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusodoolo View Post
I know this sounds really noobish, but what exactly is an ESPer? I hope this hasn't already been asked, I'm too tired to look at the whole thread. I would really like to know what an ESPer is.
The original meaning for Esper:

ESP = Extra Sensory Perception
Esper = someone with Extra Sensory Perception

Extra Sensory Perception = an extra sense, a sixth sense, most probably psychic.

That was the original meaning, but nowadays espers are related to someone with supernatural abilities.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2007-11-19, 14:06   Link #763
DevilMayCare

This is somewhat of an off-topic question:

When does school start in Japan? I was reading the novel and it seems to me it doesn't start at September, like in North America.
Old 2007-11-19, 15:22   Link #764
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

April, IIRC.
Old 2007-11-22, 20:15   Link #765
DevilMayCare

Thanks for the answer. I have another somewhat weird question:

Usually in books, sentences with quotation marks mark dialogue and ones that don't are the author's descriptions or the characters's thoughts, correct? Well, I was reading a chapter from Baka-Tsuki and lo and behold:

I take it that "Does that make me the sole outsider?" was Kyon's thoughts, since it doesn't have quotation marks. How does Itsuki reply to him, then? This happens in other parts of the chapter, by the way.
Old 2007-11-22, 21:52   Link #766
FateAnomaly

It always happens. Its probably just the author's writing style. I would assume he actually voiced it out.

I have a question of my own. What is the implication and significance of Mikuru being in the second year. If the purpose is to observe Haruhi, wouldn't being in the same year (but not in the same class) be better? (The same thing is being parodied in the cultural festival film?)

Unless the people from the future already know that the observation would only take 2 years and Mikuru should leave by then and graduation is a convenient excuse to leave the group.
Old 2007-11-22, 22:49   Link #767
Sol Falling

The reason is that neither Nagato Yuki, Asahina Mikuru, nor Koizumi Itsuki ever planned to be directly involved with Haruhi. As is fairly evident, there are numerous individuals from multiple factions all placed within the vicinity of Haruhi whom she is not aware of. For another example of an individual whose purpose is to observe Haruhi but was not placed in her year, take Kimidori Emiri.

I figure Mikuru being in second year is probably a reflection of her biological age. Just a hunch.
Old 2007-11-22, 23:31   Link #768
FateAnomaly

Ya but the other 2 faction probably have numerous people covering all the 3 grades. But as far as i know Mikuru is the only time traveler in the school. She can also easily pass off as a lower grade student.
Old 2007-11-23, 02:07   Link #769
Sol Falling

hm...that's true, we don't know of any other time travellers at the school. On the other hand, we don't know of any other espers either (the Student Council prez is just someone who's got a deal with the organization). I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that there are other time travellors.

And, well, I dunno. Like I said, I think the reason is just because of her biological age, 'cause you're right, there's no particular reason for her being in second year as opposed to any other.
Old 2007-11-27, 09:48   Link #770
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
The reason is that neither Nagato Yuki, Asahina Mikuru, nor Koizumi Itsuki ever planned to be directly involved with Haruhi. As is fairly evident, there are numerous individuals from multiple factions all placed within the vicinity of Haruhi whom she is not aware of. For another example of an individual whose purpose is to observe Haruhi but was not placed in her year, take Kimidori Emiri.

I figure Mikuru being in second year is probably a reflection of her biological age. Just a hunch.
Just as a reminder, there is currently ONLY the Espers, Time travellers, and Yuki's people observing Haruhi. There are a tonne of other powerful groups, either within Earth or outside in Space, who wanted Haruhi for themselves. According to Itsuki, many people have lost their lives in the fight for the right to observe Haruhi, and the current arrangement is due the fact that Yuki's, Mikuru's, and Itsuki's factions were the most powerful ones out there.

Recent novel events suggest that the other factions are ganging up to get what they want.
Old 2007-11-27, 12:48   Link #771
PastPrime

Quote:
hm...that's true, we don't know of any other time travellers at the school. On the other hand, we don't know of any other espers either (the Student Council prez is just someone who's got a deal with the organization). I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that there are other time travellors.

And, well, I dunno. Like I said, I think the reason is just because of her biological age, 'cause you're right, there's no particular reason for her being in second year as opposed to any other.
Since they are from the future, her handlers, including her older self, have the advantage of knowing what is going to happen. They sent her there and had her as a second year student because that is what had already happened in their past. It could well be that her becoming friends with Tsuruya was as important as her observing Haruhi. And to make her a first year student would create a paradox.
Old 2007-11-27, 12:56   Link #772
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
Since they are from the future, her handlers, including her older self, have the advantage of knowing what is going to happen. They sent her there and had her as a second year student because that is what had already happened in their past. It could well be that her becoming friends with Tsuruya was as important as her observing Haruhi. And to make her a first year student would create a paradox.
Another important fact, is that the younger Mikuru is completely oblivious of all the duties she is suppose to perform because that was what is suppose to happen. The time travelers are literally ruled by their pasts and futures.
Old 2007-11-27, 13:48   Link #773
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Another important fact, is that the younger Mikuru is completely oblivious of all the duties she is suppose to perform because that was what is suppose to happen. The time travelers are literally ruled by their pasts and futures.
Yes. It is interesting that Kyon knows much more about what is going on than she does. I still think he missed a great chance when she questioned why his time travel requests were always granted almost immediately. I still think that "Thats Classified Information" would have been a great answer.
Old 2007-11-27, 14:39   Link #774
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Yes. It is interesting that Kyon knows much more about what is going on than she does. I still think he missed a great chance when she questioned why his time travel requests were always granted almost immediately. I still think that "Thats Classified Information" would have been a great answer.

KyoAni should so do that in the second season.
Old 2007-11-28, 01:03   Link #775
Sol Falling

Quote:
heh. I can understand that within the context of the world Tanigawa has created, but in terms of how Mikuru being in second year helps the narrative...

Iunno. I think Mikuru being a second year student might have had the effect of 'capping' the length of the series, in that Mikuru, as vital a member of the SOS Brigade as anyone else, will have to graduate and leave within another year. I guess this would fit with your point that Mikuru's grade is predetermined by what is required by the future, in that Tanigawa requires this for the way in which he intends to develop the story.

I don't really see how the knowledge that Mikuru is predestined by her handlers is particularly relevent because those handlers have remained outside of what we as the readers understand of the narrative. Of course history happens this way because history has to happen this way, but why does it have to happen this way?

The question in my mind isn't really "why is Mikuru a second year" but more "why did Tanigawa make Mikuru a second year".

I still think that Mikuru really is biologically one year older than the others, though.
Old 2007-11-28, 07:50   Link #776
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I don't really see how the knowledge that Mikuru is predestined by her handlers is particularly relevent because those handlers have remained outside of what we as the readers understand of the narrative. Of course history happens this way because history has to happen this way, but why does it have to happen this way?
As far as I am aware from my novel reading, it was very clear who is Mikuru's boss...

Let me reiterate, the Time Travelers are literally ruled by their past and future.
Old 2007-11-28, 07:59   Link #777
Sol Falling

And who rules the future? Tanigawa. :P
Old 2007-11-28, 08:38   Link #778
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
And who rules the future? Tanigawa. :P
Your are missing my point, I think. The time travelers are obsessed with maintaining the timeline of their pasts to protect themselves, and this forms a chain all the way into the future. So the future is ruled by even more distant futures.

Many time travelers don't really like the arrangement. But they follow the orders anyway because they are afraid of change.
Old 2007-11-28, 09:05   Link #779
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Your are missing my point, I think. The time travelers are obsessed with maintaining the timeline of their pasts to protect themselves, and this forms a chain all the way into the future. So the future is ruled by even more distant futures.

Many time travelers don't really like the arrangement. But they follow the orders anyway because they are afraid of change.
And then there are people like Fujiwara and his ilk who TRY to change the way things work.

And yet they're the ones considered evil. Ironic.
Old 2007-11-28, 09:42   Link #780
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
And then there are people like Fujiwara and his ilk who TRY to change the way things work.

And yet they're the ones considered evil. Ironic.
Intent and methods are two different things. Fujiwara kidnapped Mikuru, which is hardly nice. It's just like that time Asakura tried to push things into motion with her own hands via violence.

What made them villains is not their intent, but their methods.