AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-09-27, 11:15   Link #1
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Space Symphony Maetel

Hi folks,

Just wondering what everyone thinks of Maetel. This is Leiji Matsumoto goodness brought right in to the 21st Century. The animation whilst familiar is new and fresh.

Eps 1 - 3 are out now on fansub and they certainly pack a lot in. If it carries on the way it does it WILL turn in to a classic.

Make your comments known here !

Regards

gumbaloom
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-27, 12:34   Link #2
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I'll tell you after I peel my eyes off the TV...hehe...heck I love all his works and I even loved Gun Frontier
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-27, 19:58   Link #3
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

It's pretty good in terms of animation. You can tell that they re-did scenes from GE999. The graphics are as good as Railways.

I agree that they packed in quite a lot of material and it went quite fast. I look forward to viewing the rest of the series.
________
CB250 JADE

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 12:10.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-27, 20:54   Link #4
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Don't know why but this series sort of remind me of Legend of the Galatic Heros except the art is prettier.

I liked the first episode.
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 03:11   Link #5
Psycho_Kenshin

I'm loving this series . I just watched the first 3 episodes, and they're killing me with the nonstop suspence and cliffhangers. I've got a question for any Matsumoto fans though...

Spoiler:
Thanks. ^_^
Psycho_Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 03:12   Link #6
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Just watched it. The first episode was quite interesting. Galaxy Railways and now this, just waiting for Harlock and the Arcadia to make their return to round things up...
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 03:55   Link #7
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

GE 999 was one of the first anime I ever watched. Since then, I have loved every Leiji Matsumoto show I have seen. I just watched the first three episodes and I have to say that I thought that Space Symphony Maetel was absolutely awful.

It was poorly plotted and was stupidly executed. Maetel and the excellent animation just don't make up for this abomination. I can't complain about the reuse of old themes since all Leiji Matsumoto anime reuses those old themes, but this is the first time they have felt tired and worn out.

I am simply very disappointed.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 04:03   Link #8
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Kenshin
I'm loving this series . I just watched the first 3 episodes, and they're killing me with the nonstop suspence and cliffhangers. I've got a question for any Matsumoto fans though...

Spoiler:
Thanks. ^_^
1. The preview says "a prelude to Galaxy Express 999", so I assume before GE999 and after Maetel Legend.

2. What continuity?
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 04:46   Link #9
Shenlong

I've heard alot about but have never seen a Leiji Matsumoto series, would you guys recommend this series as a good place to start?
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 05:41   Link #10
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenlong
I've heard alot about but have never seen a Leiji Matsumoto series, would you guys recommend this series as a good place to start?
No! Absolutely not. Anywhere else except here, since the major value of this show is nostalgia.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-09-28, 08:35   Link #11
eternal

i watched the info on anidlb.net and the pic is somewhat shoujo ai-ish...is this something to do with girlxgirl love?

i would love it if it is
eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 17:53   Link #12
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal
i watched the info on anidlb.net and the pic is somewhat shoujo ai-ish...is this something to do with girlxgirl love?

i would love it if it is
No. It isn't. If you want that sort of stuff this is absolutely wrong for you. Go watch Maria-sama ga Miteru or Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito.

Old 2004-09-28, 18:16   Link #13
Psycho_Kenshin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
No! Absolutely not. Anywhere else except here, since the major value of this show is nostalgia.
I'd say this is a pretty good show for somebody new to Matsumoto, as it's fast-paced, and it stays true to his style without demanding prior knowledge of his stories. Great stuff
Psycho_Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-28, 22:00   Link #14
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
I don't see any better place to explain something about episode titles... You may (should) have noticed that each episode title has a word / phrase that's in quotations. These are actually taken from the titles of the classical musical pieces.

1. Departure of "Fate" - Beethoven's Symphony No. 5
2. Nazca's "Passion" - Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata (Not Bach's Passion Mass series)
3. The Night Before "Revolution" - Chopin's Piano Etude
4. "Rhapsody" in Gold - It could be any piece by name of Rhapsody... but I took my liberty to title it after Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue
5. Promethium's "Magic Flute" - Mozart's Opera, Magic Flute
6. Laurela(sp?)'s "Requiem" - Once again, any Requiem out there... (Mozart, Brahms, etc)
7. The Path to "My Homeland" - Smetana's My Homeland
8. "Funeral March" for Mother - Funeral March...
9. La Metal "Spring" - Vivaldi's concerto grosso "Spring" (from Four Seasons)

(titles taken from http://www.ppvj.co.jp/anime/0410ssmaetel/index.phtml )
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-29, 17:36   Link #15
otter

does anyone know where to get the intro music? I think the CD is coming out sometime in november but I was wondering if the music's been released before or taken from other works. Thanx a lot
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-20, 00:20   Link #16
ltorivia485

Hi,

I just downloaded Episode 3 and I'm unable to view the episode. Do I need to download a new codec? I can view Episode 1 and 2 fine. Windows Media Player just can't play Episode 3....
ltorivia485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 00:18   Link #17
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Space Symphony Maetel: Where's the luv? :sad:

Come on guys! Show some support for this title.
Thanks to the groups for subbing this for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
I don't see any better place to explain something about episode titles... You may (should) have noticed that each episode title has a word / phrase that's in quotations. These are actually taken from the titles of the classical musical pieces.

1. Departure of "Fate" - Beethoven's Symphony No. 5
2. Nazca's "Passion" - Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata (Not Bach's Passion Mass series)
3. The Night Before "Revolution" - Chopin's Piano Etude
4. "Rhapsody" in Gold - It could be any piece by name of Rhapsody... but I took my liberty to title it after Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue
5. Promethium's "Magic Flute" - Mozart's Opera, Magic Flute
6. Laurela(sp?)'s "Requiem" - Once again, any Requiem out there... (Mozart, Brahms, etc)
7. The Path to "My Homeland" - Smetana's My Homeland
8. "Funeral March" for Mother - Funeral March...
9. La Metal "Spring" - Vivaldi's concerto grosso "Spring" (from Four Seasons)

(titles taken from http://www.ppvj.co.jp/anime/0410ssmaetel/index.phtml )

So to continue (Google is your friend! )....

8. A "Funeral March" for Mother: Gounod's Funeral March of a Marionette ("Alfred Hitchkock Presents" theme); Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 12 (Funeral March); "Funeral March" of Chopin
10. The Lightning "Titan": Mahler's Symphony No. 1 (Titan)
11. "Eroica" Leopard: Beethoven's Symphony No. 3 E flat, Op. 55 (Eroica Symphony)
Old 2006-01-02, 11:55   Link #18
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
GE 999 was one of the first anime I ever watched. Since then, I have loved every Leiji Matsumoto show I have seen. I just watched the first three episodes and I have to say that I thought that Space Symphony Maetel was absolutely awful.

It was poorly plotted and was stupidly executed. Maetel and the excellent animation just don't make up for this abomination. I can't complain about the reuse of old themes since all Leiji Matsumoto anime reuses those old themes, but this is the first time they have felt tired and worn out.

I am simply very disappointed.
GE999 was also one of my first animes, but I got more of the impression that the creators were on drugs than it being a great anime. =P Everyone I give a summary to seems to agree.

Last edited by Ziv; 2006-01-02 at 14:34.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 12:54   Link #19
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I don't think that the creators were on drugs. The continuity is alittle off, but if you've watched Maetel Legend before this then it flows normally.

I think that alot of the interactions from this series, setups including the use of classical music continues from Maetel Legend and that its a good idea to see it before this.

It prob shouldn't be compared to Galaxy Express 999.
Old 2006-01-02, 14:39   Link #20
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
I don't think that the creators were on drugs. The continuity is alittle off, but if you've watched Maetel Legend before this then it flows normally.

I think that alot of the interactions from this series, setups including the use of classical music continues from Maetel Legend and that its a good idea to see it before this.

It prob shouldn't be compared to Galaxy Express 999.
I guess that must be it. I saw it and I was like wtf??? skin hunters? they got his mother in the middle of a blizzard?? and now he's on a flying steam engine captained by black mage trying to turn himself into a robot?!
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote