AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-18, 06:14   Link #2241
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
That's much more than One Piece... I really don't get authors. Don't they have any other ideas they would like to realize?
I heard for some popular manga series the magazine will tell the writer to keep writing even when he wants to stop and do a new story... that may be the case with One Piece, but I have no proof, just throwing out a possibility. One Piece is by far the King of Shonen Jump right now, so it is very possible for it to be true.
Old 2013-02-18, 06:18   Link #2242
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
I heard for some popular manga series the magazine will tell the writer to keep writing even when he wants to stop and do a new story... that may be the case with One Piece, but I have no proof, just throwing out a possibility. One Piece is by far the King of Shonen Jump right now, so it is very possible for it to be true.
We could also say "He will continue to add more stories as long as his works sells",
Old 2013-02-18, 10:10   Link #2243
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
From how the story is going.... no I don't think Oda plans to end it yet. Ending it in less than 200 more chapters from now on would probably make it feel rushed. So I expect a LOT more. Well, it even seems that this was just the HALFWAY POINT.
Old 2013-02-18, 12:03   Link #2244
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
I'm more pissed at the voices - so to say. Specifically Luffy's. I was going to continue One Piece a while back and then I heard his voice and instantly dropped it.
Did you even watch the horribly done English dub made by 4Kids ?
To speak of, laughing at scenes that were supposed to be dramatic will make you a masochist (Just try to not be mean myself, just saying).
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2013-02-18 at 12:48.
Old 2013-02-18, 14:29   Link #2245
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Why instantly Bishounen? It clearly would not work here.
Art style like FT, Naruto and Bleach would do well.

OP really suffers from its distorted art.

Talking about long lasting series... looks like Hajime No Ippo hit a 1004 chapter

That's much more than One Piece... I really don't get authors. Don't they have any other ideas they would like to realize?
Oda has mentioned having other plans at least... And he has also mentioned that he had the end of One Piece planned out from the get-go... Only he also apparently misjudged how long it would take for him to get there in a truly spectacular fashion, seeing as how not only did he intend for the entire series to last for five years, but he also apparently at one point intended for the Skypiea-arc (which ended at around volume 32 of the manga, so, oh, around chapter 350 or so? In the anime it was around episode 200, anyway) to be the halfway-point. As things stand now... I cannot possibly imagine the story ending any time in the next five years.
Old 2013-02-18, 15:00   Link #2246
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Did you even watch the horribly done English dub made by 4Kids ?
To speak of, laughing at scenes that were supposed to be dramatic will make you a masochist (Just try to not be mean myself, just saying).
Yeah, I was talking about the English dub
Old 2013-02-18, 16:12   Link #2247
kitten320

Quote:
Can they actually force them to write? Doesn't seem something a law would allow, it almost sounds like slavery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Oda has mentioned having other plans at least... And he has also mentioned that he had the end of One Piece planned out from the get-go... Only he also apparently misjudged how long it would take for him to get there in a truly spectacular fashion, seeing as how not only did he intend for the entire series to last for five years, but he also apparently at one point intended for the Skypiea-arc (which ended at around volume 32 of the manga, so, oh, around chapter 350 or so? In the anime it was around episode 200, anyway) to be the halfway-point. As things stand now... I cannot possibly imagine the story ending any time in the next five years.
Well I'm only at episode 18 so duno though at this point it feels like if series could finish in about 20-40 episodes

Still need to see how exactly Oda managed to expend the thing.
Old 2013-02-18, 16:22   Link #2248
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Can they actually force them to write? Doesn't seem something a law would allow, it almost sounds like slavery...
The threat of contract termination perhaps. Being a mangaka is already a low paying job and they'll probably hard pressed to find another job if they can't publish their works. Slavery still exist largely in this day and age even in modern cities, only under different names and guises.
Old 2013-02-18, 16:33   Link #2249
Green-ill

Yu-gi-oh any1?
Old 2013-02-18, 16:43   Link #2250
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-ill View Post
Yu-gi-oh any1?
awww... Yu-Gi-Oh anime... why did it leave out the dark games from the manga? It could have been so awesome if they didn't go exclusively for the card game. The anime (without season 0) just does not make any kind of sense, because the characters (espacially Yugi) are not introduced properly. Watching Episode 1 feels like beginning a series at Episode 50.
Old 2013-02-18, 16:51   Link #2251
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Yu-gi-oh any1?
Anime you hate but everyone seems to like

Nope.
Old 2013-02-18, 17:39   Link #2252
Kudryavka

Quote:
They could not force him like that. But they could tell him, "You want to end our biggest cash cow One Piece and start some new manga that may or may not come even close to One Piece in success? Well how about this - you keep writing One Piece and we'll reject any new manga ideas you send us until we feel it is time for One Piece to come to a close. And trust us, that won't be for a while . Or you can quit, but who will hire you once we tell all the other magazines that you're a person who doesn't follow through on his commitments?"

Contracts and legalese can put you into the nastiest chokeholds. Just an idea, but seeing how this same magazine led Toriyama by his nose for years after he intended to end Dragonball, I am sure they have their ways, even if it's as simple as telling the mangaka that he won't want to end such a successful series until it's run good and dry in their eyes (which may not be the mag's fault depending on how you view it).
Old 2013-02-18, 18:15   Link #2253
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Unlike most long running shounen, Oda actually cares about One Piece. He doesn't do it (or at least that's not his main concern) because of the cash cow it is. He's put a lot of imagination and effort into it. The dude works sleepless hours on this thing and doesn't seem the least bit bothered by it. From what I have read about him, he seems to really enjoy what he does, and One Piece is his legacy.
Old 2013-02-18, 18:21   Link #2254
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Unlike most long running shounen, Oda actually cares about One Piece. He doesn't do it (or at least that's not his main concern) because of the cash cow it is. He's put a lot of imagination and effort into it. The dude works sleepless hours on this thing and doesn't seem the least bit bothered by it. From what I have read about him, he seems to really enjoy what he does, and One Piece is his legacy.
That's nice to know. It would also explain why so many still love the manga today. I heard it's the pack leader alpha male in shounen right now.
Old 2013-02-18, 18:51   Link #2255
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
There's various ways to put pressure on someone to keep going, shonen jump mangakas get payed by the number of pages that get published,if a mangaka refuses to work on something the editor can say "fine,but we won't publish anything else from you" and since they're under contract they can't go to another editor,so they would be stuck with no money until their contract runs out.

It's widely believed for example that Dragon Ball's mangaka wanted to end it at several points but Shonen Jump made him go on.

Sidenote: not all magazines are like this,some let their authors have more freedom but I wouldn't say Shonen Jump is one of them.
Old 2013-02-18, 20:45   Link #2256
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Yu-gi-oh any1?
Yu-Gi-Oh! will be perfect for anime you hate but every kids seem to like.

And I also agree with GreyZone about Yu-Gi-Oh! anime since I’m a fan of the manga:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
awww... Yu-Gi-Oh anime... why did it leave out the dark games from the manga? It could have been so awesome if they didn't go exclusively for the card game. The anime (without season 0) just does not make any kind of sense, because the characters (especially Yugi) are not introduced properly. Watching Episode 1 feels like beginning a series at Episode 50.
The anime leaves a lot to be desired by making the whole universe centered around card games. The worst offender is the filler arcs which made it even more apparent that the anime is nothing more than a giant advertisement for the card game (stopping ancient Atlantis empire from destroying the world through card games? WTF!). It’s too bad since the manga has a better, darker and concise (not overlong) story not centered around card games but Yami Yugi’s journey. I adore the original cards like Blue Eyes, Thousand Eyes, Black Magician and Black Magician Girl and the various magic/trap cards from the manga. They're not overly complicated like the following anime seasons made them. Konami should thank Kazuki Takahashi for creating a card game in the manga which become one of the top seller toys in the world (they even got Guinness World Record for that), yet Studio Gallop/NAS aesthetically butchered the original story by creating lackluster anime adaptation . I want a reboot dammit!

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2013-02-18 at 21:02.
Old 2013-02-18, 22:04   Link #2257
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Yu-gi-oh any1?
I grew up loving Yu-Gi-Oh. Now that I stopped growing... I don't like it anymore....
Old 2013-02-18, 22:25   Link #2258
Mistressy
Maximum High Powered Wub
*Graphic Designer

Fairy Tale. Enough said.
Old 2013-02-18, 22:27   Link #2259
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
I gave up Hell Girl after the second season. Not because I though it was bad, but because I felt that was already enough of an ending, and I wasn't all that interested in the anthology aspect anyway. That was years ago, though.
I dropped - or more like, I didn't know there was a 3rd season for some time - it after season 2 too. Season 3(when I got around watching it) is just not good enough.
Old 2013-02-18, 22:34   Link #2260
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I grew up loving Yu-Gi-Oh. Now that I stopped growing... I don't like it anymore....
I guess I’m not as lucky as you Genji. I’ve read the original manga before I watched the anime so I almost felt nothing but disdain for the animated adaptation. Almost. Thank god the seiyuus were doing a good job voicing the characters (especially Yami Yugi). The card battles (when it’s good) are exciting to watch, plus the decent and distinguished score made the anime kinda entertaining when you watch it one episode a week.