AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 04
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 61 32.11%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 59 31.05%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 42 22.11%
7 out of 10: Good... 19 10.00%
6 out of 10: Average... 4 2.11%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 0 0%
4 out of 10: Poor... 4 2.11%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 0.53%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-29, 01:32   Link #121
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
If SAO had classes, he'd most likely be a ranger. His behavior in this episode is identical to every ranger who's ever appeared in a fantasy novel since Aragorn first showed up at the Prancing Pony.

If anyone's curious about what tanks are like in SAO, rewatch the fight from ep.2 and pay attention to Egil and his party.
Good point, especially with his "Tracking" skills that he showed off in the last two episodes.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 01:36   Link #122
paraalso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doria View Post
(Unrelated, but about Rosalia, she's obviously kind of insane, and definitely obnoxious, but I think it'd be very tempting to believe that there was some kind of a joke or a bug, preventing people from logging out. That seems (on the face of it) a lot more realistic than thinking that someone actually rigged a bunch of people to die. I mean, they don't really have any way of knowing for sure what happens, anymore than we do in real life--but plenty of people still have firm beliefs about what happens after death.

I mean, I'd like to think I'd want to play it safe and all, but I'm sure some people would convince themselves there's no harm in killing other players.)
While they can't be sure that dying in the game means dying in real life, they have been trapped in the game for 1-2 years. It was 2022 in the first episode, and it's now 2024. If there was no danger and it was just a joke, then someone would have already gotten them out of the game forcibly.

The fact that they've been living in the game for that long means that the existence of some type of danger is guaranteed, and something is preventing people in RL from getting them out of the game. It's possible that the designer might have made it so dying frees you from the danger of course, but they have no way of knowing for sure, and it seems much less likely than actually dying from being killed.
paraalso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 01:40   Link #123
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraalso View Post
While they can't be sure that dying in the game means dying in real life, they have been trapped in the game for 1-2 years. It was 2022 in the first episode, and it's now 2024. If there was no danger and it was just a joke, then someone would have already gotten them out of the game forcibly.

The fact that they've been living in the game for that long means that the existence of some type of danger is guaranteed, and something is preventing people in RL from getting them out of the game. It's possible that the designer might have made it so dying frees you from the danger of course, but they have no way of knowing for sure, and it seems much less likely than actually dying from being killed.
Well, what's more likely, that the designer is an insane mass murderer with a God complex or someone playing a nasty practical joke? And even if he is insane and has a God complex, he doesn't actually need to kill people to get them to do what he wants, as long as they believe in the threat of death.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 01:43   Link #124
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Well, apparently Kirito's chosen look (long black coat) has made him famous. Although the Titan's Head guild members didn't really make the connection until they heard Kirito's name, once they did, his fame made them think twice about what they were doing.

Good grief, he's a solo front liner! Mighty impressive.

Throughout the entire episode I was hoping, praying to Zod that nothing would happen to Silica. Well, things did happen to her, but fortunately nothing too serious. I chuckled a bit over her being more concerned with her skirt than she was with the plant monsters.

Interesting that he had a house on the 50th floor. This tells me that more that half the floors have been cleared. Also interesting that Rosalia doesn't believe that in-game deaths mean real life deaths, or at least she states that's there's no proof.

Endless "Dragon Tamer Silica" Soul
Old 2012-07-29, 01:44   Link #125
paraalso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Well, what's more likely, that the designer is an insane mass murderer with a God complex or someone playing a nasty practical joke? And even if he is insane and has a God complex, he doesn't actually need to kill people to get them to do what he wants, as long as they believe in the threat of death.
They know with certainty that the designer has placed them in danger. The proof is that they are still in the game. If you know that someone has placed you in danger, then would you really want to risk it that he was just bluffing and would spare you on a whim? It's true that the risk is enough, but he must be able to kill or seriously damage them to create the scenario. Otherwise they would not still be in the game, so they can assume that there is a real risk of some kind involved.
paraalso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 01:49   Link #126
farios

I was surprised that Silica stayed alive, i was pretty sure that she was going to die to give another trauma to Kirito, a good episode overall and Kirito is growing to me as one of my favorite MC
Old 2012-07-29, 01:52   Link #127
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Good grief, he's a solo front liner! Mighty impressive.
Well it's not much different then what he's been doing since the start. It just means he doesn't have a party when he levels up even on the front lines, aka the highest floor reached.

Slight correction on the beast tamer thing, anime didn't mention the information regarding that.
Spoiler for Beast Tamer Explanation:

Anyway, this was a good break after the last two episodes of crazy pace. Hoping next episode will continue this.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy

Last edited by Xacual; 2012-07-29 at 02:17.
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 02:16   Link #128
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

A pretty good episode overall, the pacing was fine (though that's probably because the original short story wasn't that long either >_>).
Old 2012-07-29, 03:22   Link #129
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Seeing Pina die, on my second viewing, is heartbreaking. Especially since I have dogs and I've had to bury three of them. T__T I can totally understand Silica being stunned and unable to do anything. I remember when one of our dogs died just begore we moved - my dad went into depression, my mom dropped her tsundere and was also upset, and my brother cried himself to sleep and didn't go to school.

Me, I had to load her in the van and arrange burial. T__T

Also, there is something the anime couldn't convey on Pina's diving save:

Spoiler for Light Novel elaboration of a scene in the anime:

Scuse me. Got a little bit of dust.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 03:24   Link #130
gunzblitz

A solid episode.

It wasn't so hard to follow, unlike the previous episode where there was 4 time skips in the whole episode. This episode laid out some of SAO's mechanics pretty well. There wasn't much elaboration overall (Like the higher floors and his change of clothes/equips), but that's because it's not that significant in my opinion. I would think that an anime-only viewer would have no problems with this episode. I have a lot to say but I don't know where to start, so I'll just say that this is an excellent episode.

9/10.
gunzblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 03:47   Link #131
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Seeing Pina die, on my second viewing, is heartbreaking. Especially since I have dogs and I've had to bury three of them. T__T I can totally understand Silica being stunned and unable to do anything. I remember when one of our dogs died just begore we moved - my dad went into depression, my mom dropped her tsundere and was also upset, and my brother cried himself to sleep and didn't go to school.

Me, I had to load her in the van and arrange burial. T__T

Also, there is something the anime couldn't convey on Pina's diving save:

Spoiler for Light Novel elaboration of a scene in the anime:

Scuse me. Got a little bit of dust.
I got a little emotional myself when Pina died. Of course I have 4 cats for pets, and am very familiar with losses.

Great episode, giving this a 10 as I believe it's as good as the first episode. Nice to see Kirito having his own nickname in the game and is still kicking ass as a solo-player. This anime is making me that much more anxious to be playing Guild Wars 2 in a month...
Old 2012-07-29, 03:59   Link #132
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Hm.. Compared to the last two episodes, this one is VERY straightforward.

Which is fine with me. I'll take breather episodes to take a break from trying to uncover all the hidden meanings.

The girl was cute, and the episode established that Kirito has now gained infamy.

We also learned a bit more about the game. There is apparently an auto-healing property available for some characters.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 04:28   Link #133
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Interesting that he had a house on the 50th floor. This tells me that more that half the floors have been cleared. Also interesting that Rosalia doesn't believe that in-game deaths mean real life deaths, or at least she states that's there's no proof.
That's just a very flimsy excuse. If she really believed that, she'd kill herself to get out of the game.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 05:03   Link #134
Friday
Im shy too...

even there are still more to come.....

this is my favourite.

this was a brilliant episode
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 05:43   Link #135
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

And just like that, SAO regains its momentum are stumbling a bit. A very good episode.
GoddyofAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 06:13   Link #136
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Great episode. I am surprised that there are still people who do not know that game death=real death. They are making the situation even worse. Although, the real fault lies with the creator for making this death game in the first place.
Old 2012-07-29, 06:14   Link #137
Minoye

Are the plant monsters inspired from Ragnarok? (1st = geographer with... mandragora attack pattern? Then flora and last one chewing Silica = hydra)

Overall, nice episode. Let's see how cute Silica will evolve later. Meeting Kirito was a good way to boost her moral.

Even though he's not a tanking build, it seems understable why Kirito choose an autoregen skill : in a world without healing magic, it saves a lot of money from potion/healing items and as a solo player, allows him to level up more efficiently (i.e. with minimum rest between fights).

Adding this to all the details about PKing this week shows that the author knows his stuff about MMOs.
Minoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 06:19   Link #138
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoye View Post
Are the plant monsters inspired from Ragnarok? (1st = geographer with... mandragora attack pattern? Then flora and last one chewing Silica = hydra)
It's been mentioned before but in the authors notes it was mentioned how the author liked RO and Ultima Online at the time and based much of SAO on that experience.

That probably translated into the anime during script writing as the author gave a lot of input into the Anime

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 07:48   Link #139
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

If you're referring to the guy who was green, he's another scout who hasn't attacked anyone yet.

Still, for a character voiced by Megumi Toyoguchi, Rosalia went down like a chump. Wonder what happened to her afterwards...

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2012-07-29 at 08:25.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 08:06   Link #140
Raviel

Pretty good episode and I would have attributed its success completely to the animation studio if it wasn't for the loli fanservice

.....just kidding......sort of.....maybe
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion