AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-15, 11:12   Link #2421
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Doin' okay, Magnus. But thinking about taking a trip to Taipei for a week or so soon. Most of my housemates fled the country over the last day or two.

Thanks for asking.
I'd think you should take that trip rather sooner than later, with every few hours worse news coming out of Japan, like the wind blowing radioactivity now straight at Tokyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
In Macross news, there was a big thing planned for this coming Saturday which has been cancelled.
A shame, but under those circumstances nobody can blame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
My family & relatives are in Tokyo, so they are a little further from the incident. Not that Tokyo is faring all that much better, since traffic is pretty much dead in the immediate aftermath of the quake + tsunami. Food & water are difficult to come by in many places, followed by blackouts. Its not making anyone feel better when the news worsens everyday. Couple days ago, officials claimed that the coastal nuclear power plant can be contaminated, now the reactor just exploded and Goddess knows where the air will carry the radiation.

This all sounds like a bad joke.

Japan is orderly, organized and clean, then suddenly its entire coast was devoured by piss-water. Its like someone took a black marker and smeared all over an expensive paiting.

What the fuck?

- Tak
Yeah, it is terrible how a few days can change so much. I've been fretting over this catastrophe the last few days and the news aren't getting better.

I hope everything will be okay for your family and relatives.
Old 2011-03-15, 16:57   Link #2422
wisteria233

I don't know where to put this but I just saw a twitter post apparently Shouji Kawamori is okay.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 17:43   Link #2423
magnuskn

I heard he was out of the country during the earthquake and tsunami. May'n, Megumi and Yuichi Nakamura also have checked in.
Old 2011-05-17, 09:27   Link #2424
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Look back at that map one more time.

The chart launching from Earth in 2012: M.Frontier 025!
Macross Frontier launched in 2012. It's on the right of the screen right above Megaroad-02 and 04. So it DID take them 44 years to travel. Frontier did not take off from Eden either.

Proof:

Spoiler for Raw:

Spoiler for Marked:

Frontier launched in 2012!

His mother and him were born aboard the ship. Unless his mother is older than 44. Which I doubt that.
What part of "The star map is figurative, not literal" is causing you difficulty?

All the books I've come across mention the Frontier Fleet as launching in 2041.
Old 2011-05-17, 09:31   Link #2425
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
[B]Look back at that map one more time.
Your superficial understanding of Macross history is becoming very irksome. So no, YOU look back. Hell, do some research!

2012 was the beginning of the human space expansion project initiated by Admiral Global to ensure that mankind will never face total annihilation by another alien invasion. In 2012, human technology was only sufficient enough to produce the MEGAROAD class, which we know the first was never heard from again after it commenced a long-distance fold. Over time, other bigger, better colonial vessels launched either from Earth or elsewhere.

By September 2030, the MEGAROAD class colonization vessels were then replaced by the super high-capacity New-Macross class, which had the capacity to carry one million people. One of these new colonial vessels became an integral part of the story to Macross 7 (2046), with the launch date confirmed by the TV show itself. It was NOT until 2041 did another new colonial vessel come into existence, and one of them eventually became the Macross 25.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 10:28   Link #2426
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

And where does one get the impression that Alto's mom was born on the ship?
Didn't she yearn for a true sky? How would she even know what one of those was to miss it, had she never seen one?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 23:52   Link #2427
Darthtabby

I think they're just showing that all those colony ships launched from Earth (though that does indicate that Frontier was launched from Earth, not Eden). 2012 was the year the first colony ship was launched. However 2012 was also a mere three years after most of Earth's population was wiped out in Space War I. Basically the only survivors were those aboard the SDF-1 Macross and -according to supplementary material- one million people who had shelter in the grand cannons. The Frontier fleet has a populations of about five million on Island One alone -and it's only one of the colonisation fleets that was sent out. You really think all those fleets were launched in 2012? Even with mass cloning involved that's pretty out there for a three year effort to reconstruct human civilization. Megaroad One (the first colony ship) had a population in the tens of thousands for a reason.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 23:57   Link #2428
Yunbo

I dont mean to come out of now where but regardless of when MF first launched couldn't Alto's mother still be born on Earth?

Sure she died young but that was like what 10 years ago at most? since alto looked to be about 7 to 10.
I mean she could have been born on earth on 2012 (before the launch) or 2011, then when she is 30 (2041/2) had Alto and then die when she was like 40 (2051/2) making Alto like 10. and since alto's birthday IS July 27, 2042 that means in a sense if we go by my theory (since there is no actual facts on how old/when his mother died) this can prove that Alto's mother can indeed be born on earth even if MF launched on 2012.

That and you cant REALLY say she was young just cause she LOOKED young, this is an anime so you can never tell unless there is official info. I mean there are a lot of animes and mangas where the parents look really young. :/ Even Kagome's mother looked young, the only thing that made her look older was her hair. . .

Edit: If you dont believe about Alto's B-day its in the MF The Movie Official Guidebook Perfect Triangle. I am looking at it right now. :3
Yunbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 00:04   Link #2429
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
I look at it THIS way: that map is meant to show EVERYONE when the ships launched in the ANIME.
This anime?

Are you trying to impose your own fanon reading and presenting it as canon? Because seriously, that's how you sound right now. I'm not claiming to be knowledgeable on Macross history 101, but besides the different Macross TV/OVA titles—which are all linked, mind you—there are guidebooks, sourcebooks and good ol' wikipedia that can verify this information. I don't understand why you're trying to convince others with this one diagram... and please dear god, don't tell me it's related to shipping.

The fact of the matter is, the anime only shows a diagram of continuous space travel, but it never gets into the specifics on how said travel is accomplished. A space colony wouldn't survive if it's supposed to explore the far reaches of space—no matter how self-sufficient it is—if its means of communication and travel would take light years to reach the next colony or planet.

How do people migrate and visit other colonies? How do idols conduct their tours? How can one colony answer a call for aid from another? How does command give orders to its pilots who are currently in a faraway combat zone? Simply put, communication and space travel is done via space-folding, which cuts down years and years of delay and waiting. It doesn't mean that a colony launched that far back in the past in order to get where they are now.

Last edited by kujoe; 2011-05-18 at 00:15.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 00:11   Link #2430
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunbo View Post
I dont mean to come out of now where but regardless of when MF first launched couldn't Alto's mother still be born on Earth?

Sure she died young but that was like what 10 years ago at most? since alto looked to be about 7 to 10.
I mean she could have been born on earth on 2012 (before the launch) or 2011, then when she is 30 (2041/2) had Alto and then die when she was like 40 (2051/2) making Alto like 10. and since alto's birthday IS July 27, 2042 that means in a sense if we go by my theory (since there is no actual facts on how old/when his mother died) this can prove that Alto's mother can indeed be born on earth even if MF launched on 2012.

That and you cant REALLY say she was young just cause she LOOKED young, this is an anime so you can never tell unless there is official info. I mean there are a lot of animes and mangas where the parents look really young. :/ Even Kagome's mother looked young, the only thing that made her look older was her hair. . .

Edit: If you dont believe about Alto's B-day its in the MF The Movie Official Guidebook Perfect Triangle. I am looking at it right now. :3
Directly quoted from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Miyo Saotome (早乙女 美代, Saotome Miyo)
Alto's mother, who died when Alto was twelve. A considerable beauty, Alto inherited her good looks and has a strong resemblance to her. She often spoke of flying in the sky, which inspired Alto to become a pilot for the sake of flying in a true sky.
She died when he was 12.

But regarding her age, he says she was young. And also regarded her body as being weak. Regardless of your judgment, I think she was born on Frontier. Besides, all she'd have to see is a movie from Earth and yearn for that sky. It isn't hard for ALTO to imagine a true sky yet he's never even SEEN one.

Last edited by LoveMeKags; 2011-12-07 at 03:56.
LoveMeKags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 00:20   Link #2431
Yunbo

. . . 42 is still young and its an especially young age to die, so my theory can still work.
And you can still yearn for something you have/haven't seen or had. and like you said she could have seen a movie from earth to yearn for it, so if she can why cant Alto? Besides if you look at the definition of yearn its

Have an intense feeling of loss or lack and longing for something

Be filled with compassion or warm feeling

so they could still both yearn for it.
Old 2011-05-18, 00:22   Link #2432
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
I hate to tell you this: but there is NO information about when Frontier launched on Wikipedia.
Right, because you know, Wikipedia is obligated to acquire information about Macross Frontier. Get a fucking clue.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 00:25   Link #2433
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Once again: the chart in the anime is FOR the anime, not the books or official materials. And if that is the case, then someone who just watched the anime and had no reference material would STILL think Frontier launched in 2012.

It wasn't a BIT about shipping. We were talking about Alto and his mother being born on Frontier and then it came to talking about when Frontier launched. No shipping was involved.

I hate to tell you this: but there is NO information about when Frontier launched on Wikipedia.
First, you imply that the anime's presentation is exclusive to its story alone, disregarding other sources of information, and then you tried to look at wikipedia anyway... Which is it then? Are you saying then, that your understanding of the anime series—and just this series alone—is how it actually went through, disregarding other sources of information that supplement this anime from the mouth of God himself (a.k.a, Kawamori and co.) that says the contrary?

Macross has always been the type of anime which has background information that can be found in other media, and it's not alone in this regard. Other works are in the same boat. In this case, the presentation of the anime is either simplified, flawed or incomplete on purpose in order to expand the setting and convince fans to check out other forms of merchandise. Another fact is that Macross Frontier isn't the first in the franchise, so it assumes that there will be viewers who already have enough background knowledge of their own.

What's so difficult about this?
Old 2011-05-18, 00:29   Link #2434
Yunbo

wiki doesnt have the all the info. i mean if they did wouldnt they have at least the basic infos? like say the character birthdays? cause sometimes they would have information like birthdays and their heights. but yet they dont even have Ranka's info even though that was given to us at like the beginning of the anime. :/ i am too lazy to find out which info book it is in.
Old 2011-05-18, 00:35   Link #2435
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
wiki doesnt have the all the info. i mean if they did wouldnt they have at least the basic infos? like say the character birthdays? cause sometimes they would have information like birthdays and their heights. and they dont even have Ranka's info even though that was given to us at like the beginning of the anime. :/ i am too lazy to find out which info book it is in.
True.

I just mentioned it as another possible media source that is outside the anime.

It seems a few people have missed it. The point is this: YES, you can find other Macross-related information outside the TV series. Sourcebooks, interviews conducted after the show, the internet and so on.
Old 2011-05-18, 00:41   Link #2436
Yunbo

sigh I still dont get the point of this. . . why does it matter when MF launched and when Alto's mom was born/died? is this suppose to prove something? does this have to do something with the triangle?
Old 2011-05-18, 00:45   Link #2437
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Quote:
No, I looked through it. There is NO place that says when the fleet was launched.
http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Macros...er_%28fleet%29

is that wiki enough for you? If you really want to delve into wiki's make sure you at least try searching for one that is more specifically geared towards your information of choice.

There, in plain wiki-esque font and premise, it states that the Macross Frontier Fleet launched in 2041.
MichiNekoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 00:46   Link #2438
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
sigh I still dont get the point of this. . . why does it matter when MF launched and when Alto's mom was born/died? is this suppose to prove something? does this have to do something with the triangle?
To be honest, that's what I thought too at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post
http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Macros...er_%28fleet%29

is that wiki enough for you? If you really want to delve into wiki's make sure you at least try searching for one that is more specifically geared towards your information of choice.

There, in plain wiki-esque font and premise, it states that the Macross Frontier Fleet launched in 2041.
Thank you.
Old 2011-05-18, 00:53   Link #2439
kujoe
from head to heel

Guys, let's discuss without breaking our keyboards now.

I swear the sexual tension in here is on the rage-like levels right now.

Quote:
And to boot, I'm not as lazy and laid-back as you people! I have a life outside of watching Frontier, so I don't care to waste my time looking for information books or wasting my money on that when I could further my career instead! So don't give me that bullshit either! Each person has their own issues with money and so reference material is not something I'd waste my money on!
Same here.

But one thing to remember is to be open to the idea that perhaps the information in one TV anime series has been expanded elsewhere, especially if said series is part of a long-running franchise. I don't buy other anime-related merchandise myself, save for DVDs and blu-ray releases, but Macross-related information can be found elsewhere.

Just look around, or ask.
Old 2011-05-18, 00:55   Link #2440
Yunbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
To be honest, that's what I thought too at first.
Honestly if this is for the triangle this has to stop I mean first of all this isnt the thread for it and second the triangle is OVER, FINISHED, DONE. I mean come on my friend who is an EXTREME Ranka and RankaxAlto fan has excepted the fact that Alto picked Sheryl. I mean after a while she actually told me to make an AMV about how ranka doesnt get chosen but is still happy. >3<

Sometimes I dont get why people cant face the facts and stop being in denial. . .

Tags
action, romance