AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-08-29, 05:59   Link #1001
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Ep 22...

I don't think the random appearance with Yami could even save this episode. There is just no more story left in this series...*sigh*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 08:36   Link #1002
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Series got killed! I'm already having second thoughts on continuing on watching it, and it's even more sad if I did drop it considering that it's almost at its end.

Last edited by Kana Futayo; 2008-08-30 at 08:48.
Kana Futayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 08:44   Link #1003
Ultenth

I agree with the above sentiments. Starting to really tire of this series in general. No progress in any relationships, no progress in Rito becoming more manly or worthy of Lala or whatever. Really nothing going on but random filler that isn't good at all. Oh well, at least I still have decent memories of the first 1/2 of the season or so, but it sure went downhill fast in the 2nd half.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 08:48   Link #1004
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It's become rather obvious that the people behind this show just want to create complete random situations for the characters. I've come to acknowledge that, and i love it.

Of course i'd rather see some development in the relationships, though i'm fine with what we're given.
Old 2008-08-30, 15:06   Link #1005
angershallreign

If they make a second series, they need to start being more loyal to the manga. Either that, or they get a new team of staff to work on improving the filler.
angershallreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 15:18   Link #1006
nozomi vamp
Big guns, small brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacchin View Post
Series got killed! I'm already having second thoughts on continuing on watching it, and it's even more sad if I did drop it considering that it's almost at its end.
that is why you don't watch anime . . . . . . . the manga still good i think, haven't watched anime but . . . i perfer reading manga they usually better plus the anime switchs stuff around from the manga i usually believe manga but unless i know the anime come first
nozomi vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 16:58   Link #1007
dago2682
Nodoka Fan

I`ve been reading your posts regarding To love Ru and i was wondering,do you recommend me to keep watching it or it isn`t worth it?
Last ep i watched was 12.
Old 2008-08-30, 22:57   Link #1008
Beo
where's the snow?

I still like the first 5 minutes, other than that ... Bleh...

Your time is better spent here - http://www.onemanga.com/to-LOVE-ru/
Beo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 23:06   Link #1009
Midonin
Last Engage

There's only four episodes left, so I'll see it through to the end. And I'll continue to keep up with the Variety CD releases. Even if the plots they were put into in the anime weren't the best, I still like most of the characters.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 19:24   Link #1010
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well even if the past two episodes are anime original for the most part I found them pretty enjoyable because they atleast stuck to the spirit of the manga unlike most of the recent episodes...

With that said though judging from the preview the next episode looks pretty ...Please for the love of mercy no more Saru...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 21:56   Link #1011
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dago2682 View Post
I`ve been reading your posts regarding To love Ru and i was wondering,do you recommend me to keep watching it or it isn`t worth it?
Last ep i watched was 12.
There were a few really good episodes after 12, such as like the haunted mansion one, and this one, but there are also some REALLY bad ones, such as the girl who solves all her problems with fire. It's a good show to watch if you need a way to kill some boredom, but I wouldn't wake up early to check to see if it's subbed or not.
Old 2008-08-31, 22:36   Link #1012
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

im quite disappointed in this show, well at least it kills some boredom for me.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 00:18   Link #1013
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Wow, I completely forgot about this show... I guess that lack of a coherent plot is probably the reason... even the manga is bleh.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 00:57   Link #1014
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

I have to say To Love-Ru is killing me right now. These first 22 episodes have been decent at best and I might be being generous there, but I'll probably end up finishing To Love-Ru. My head is telling me the ending will be terrible based on the first 22 episodes, but for some reason, part of me feels there's a slim chance, a small glimmer of hope that someone actually finds the plot, reminds me what it is and comes up with a satisfying ending. I keep getting suckered in every single episode even after I tell myself that I won't watch it anymore. I can't think of another anime that's done that to me, killing me episode after episode yet somehow convincing me to finish what I started.
Old 2008-09-01, 01:04   Link #1015
Ultenth

I actually watched the last 2 episodes by clicking around on the seek bar and probably only took about 2-3 minutes to watch the whole episode, just to get the main points of what was going on. I'll probably do that through the remaining episodes as well unless one comes along that actually gets back to the main story. At this point I figure I might as well see the end, but I'm not going to waste my time watching more stupid filler, I'll just get the main points that happen and move onto the next ep.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 03:29   Link #1016
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

I need help with one joke from yami chan.

Do you have an assination job for me she asks to the old female kiosk owner
go right at the junction you will find one for me
pauze
shot of yami at some place.

Did anybody get that joke? Guess it would help if you could speak japanese
Old 2008-09-01, 15:17   Link #1017
leo786
El Nino

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmkharuhiism View Post
I have to say To Love-Ru is killing me right now. These first 22 episodes have been decent at best and I might be being generous there, but I'll probably end up finishing To Love-Ru. My head is telling me the ending will be terrible based on the first 22 episodes, but for some reason, part of me feels there's a slim chance, a small glimmer of hope that someone actually finds the plot, reminds me what it is and comes up with a satisfying ending. I keep getting suckered in every single episode even after I tell myself that I won't watch it anymore. I can't think of another anime that's done that to me, killing me episode after episode yet somehow convincing me to finish what I started.
im also in the same situation, The main plot is so interesting you want to keep watching, hoping they have got back on track with the main plot. Im sure, when they do, they will come up with something good, i've just got a feeling.
leo786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 15:51   Link #1018
relentlessflame

*Administrator

You know, I really didn't want to play this card again, but I'm starting to get pretty curious. Are there really a whole lot of shounen romantic comedies that aren't in a lot of ways like this? A lot of people are talking of plot and progress, but this isn't a romantic drama. It's more in the vein of your Love Hinas, or Girls Bravos, or Nagasarete Airantous, or what not (you can go even further back, I guess, if you want). As soon as there's any notable progress, it's game over, and the whole point of a traditional shounen romantic comedy is to introduce as many heroines as they reasonably (or even unreasonably!) can and prolong the final decision as long as humanly possible.

I totally get that the manga readers are disappointed that the anime isn't a more faithful adaptation (has it really been so much more plot-centric, though?), and I also get that not every episode concept is a "hit"... but has the increase in romantic dramas over the last few years increased people's expectations for plot in romantic comedies that much? Maybe it's the fact that a lot more shows are getting the 12/13-episode treatment nowadays that causes 26-episode shows to feel dragged out? Or perhaps this is a lot of people's first series in this genre to begin with? I have to admit, I'm sort of curious. A few years back, I think a show like this would have been considered more "par for the course", but clearly times change (if this forum is anything to base these sorts of observations on).

I'm also sort of thinking that this show's pacing is such that they may be setting it up for a season two later. As a 52-episode series, I think the level of "plot progress" may be even more fitting. We'll see if DVD sales can maintain their current level, I guess...

Anyway, guess I'm just curious as to why people are so vocally disappointed in this show when I don't see it doing anything so out-of-the-ordinary from my perspective. Who knows...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 15:58   Link #1019
Midonin
Last Engage

TLR is a show I didn't go into for a plot in the first place. I knew from the start that fanservice, the girls, and Rito being pursued by the girls leading to fanservice was all I really needed. Episodes that focus on the human/human alien cast (Run's water park adventures, the sports festival, Oshizu-chan) are fine - that's what I like in the manga and like in the anime.

(I also liked the Magical Kyoko episode, but I'm a sucker for show-within-a-shows).

The anime version of TLR's major downfall was that a disproportionate amount of focus went to the aliens of the week. A few of them with manga origins are fine, but most of them take focus away from the human cast and usually don't do much in the way of fanservice or humor.

And while I wish some of my favorite manga gags - Zastin's mangaka run, run-ins with the cops, and the scene where Lala naked-wrestles with a dolphin - had made it in, some material being left out is fine and I can deal with that.

To wrap this up, the show turned out to be alright for what it was. The voice cast did a good job, and even some of the original material was good. Episode four was a fun watch. Just...needs less Aliens of the Week and more focus on Rito's haremettes.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 16:09   Link #1020
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
TLR is a show I didn't go into for a plot in the first place. I knew from the start that fanservice, the girls, and Rito being pursued by the girls leading to fanservice was all I really needed. [...] the show turned out to be alright for what it was. [...] Just...needs less Aliens of the Week and more focus on Rito's haremettes.
Yeah, I can understand this totally, and I even agree. It sounds like your expectations basically matched my own, and that's why I'm still pretty happy with the show overall. I'm not sure if the "alien-of-the-week" are really disproportionate (there weren't that many in the grand scheme of things), but I would personally agree with your opinion that those were the weaker episodes to me as well. In any case, yeah -- that's sort of my opinion as well, I guess. Just not sure where all the "where's the plot were were promised?!" expectations are coming from.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, harem, romance, school life, shounen, xebec