AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2018-02-23, 09:39   Link #21
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Looks like a youtuber did a video on this:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 01:32   Link #22
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
/sees a bunch of Okada praise.
/turns off

But in all seriousness it does seem very different.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 11:06   Link #23
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So someone somewhere finally stepped in to do the right thing and give an actual decent name. It's now just called Maquia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
But in all seriousness it does seem very different.
Imo, I think it's just a re-do of A Lull In The Sea (Nagi no Asukara) what with it being the same staff with a similar setting (Low Fantasy) and a similar premise (the dichotomy between a race that doesn't age and a race that does).

Last edited by Haak; 2018-02-24 at 11:22.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 11:58   Link #24
Kazu-kun

Their blowing his praises out of proportions. The guy always puts his stuff down and praise other shit.

This doesn't necessarily mean the movie isn't good. It probably is. But I wouldn't expect the work of art Shinka's praises make it out to be.
Old 2018-02-24, 12:55   Link #25
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Imo, I think it's just a re-do of A Lull In The Sea (Nagi no Asukara) what with it being the same staff with a similar setting (Low Fantasy) and a similar premise (the dichotomy between a race that doesn't age and a race that does).
Hopefully it's a better version of NagiAsu, or what NagiAsu should have been instead of all the adolescent teen angst romance melodrama what NagiAsu ended up being whilst "pretending" to be a low fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Their blowing his praises out of proportions. The guy always puts his stuff down and praise other shit.
It probably is probably blown out of proportion but as far as I know, Shinkai has only really praised three films in recent times, which are Silent Voice, Hibike Euphonium and now SayoAsa. One thing is for sure though, he is really really fond of Naoko Yamada since she was involved the first two.
Old 2018-02-24, 17:23   Link #26
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Hopefully it's a better version of NagiAsu, or what NagiAsu should have been instead of all the adolescent teen angst romance melodrama what NagiAsu ended up being whilst "pretending" to be a low fantasy.
I think it's pretty obvious this is primarily a romance too. The rest is decoration.
Old 2018-02-25, 09:15   Link #27
D-Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I think it's pretty obvious this is primarily a romance too. The rest is decoration.
You mean this movie? no it's not.
D-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-26, 07:22   Link #28
Kazu-kun

It looks like a romance to me, but we'll see.
Old 2018-03-01, 08:50   Link #29
Pocari_Sweat

According to frog-kun's review on ANN and the second PV below, it seems to be about motherhood and parental love rather than a romance:

YouTube
Old 2018-06-27, 22:40   Link #30
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Alright finally remembered my password, so this had a showing in ireland! lucky me!

Just as a note, i went into this completely blind, didn t read the plot synopsis, didn t watch PVs just knew this was a 100% okada anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Thats a okada film alright. I think half the PV had someone crying.
I think more than half the film has scenes with someone crying in it

So overall I liked the movie but I wouldn't be as praiseworthy as the ANN review to me it feels like less than the sum of it's parts but it definitely makes me want to see more of Okada the director.

Yes this is a motherhood anime which is pretty rare , i got surprised as well as one of the first scenes has our heroine being told "don't fall in love" which made me think "incoming romance" but that turned out to be motherly love.

The movie is full of angst but I feel for the most part it's handled quite well,first of all this isn't angst over silly teenage things, most characters go through some traumatic stuff , as an example:

Spoiler for side characters stroryarc:

or

Spoiler for end of movie:

second the use of music, a surprising amount of times during an emotional scene the music will be absent or low key, the build up to the emotional climax has music but it stops and all your hear is the characters crying, this almost feels like the reverse of what most animes do. It does put extra pressure on the VAs to perform well and I feel especially Miyu Irino shines.Of course what I just described isn t present everywhere in the film and gets rarer towards the end but even when things go all out like characters flat out screaming with desperation the scene cuts away quickly instead of lingering on

thirdly, the animation budget was used in some place to really detail the faces of the characters to show more nuanced emotion than just simply "crying", which helps make things a bit more subtle.

The whole thing really feels like Okada walking on a fine line trying to balance things out between emotional and cringe. I dare say in the hands of another director the same script might have been a complete and utter mess of a movie but Okada made it work most of the time, it s really making me think that the notion she needs a director to keep her in check is wrong and in fact she knows best how to handle her scripts, makes me wonder if Ano Hana would have been better directed by her .

So on their own i find each scene quite interesting and engaging.However my main problem with it is the overall pacing, it goes by fast, felt like i was watching a marvel movie or something.I would have liked a 1 cour show, a whole lot of the setting and side characters were barely fleshed out and it feels like so much potential was left,. Also every scene being so intense emotionally made me a bit numb by the end, could have done with more quiet time.

In the animation department it was uneven as well, there s some gorgeous actions sequences, in fact i don t see any footage of the epic first one in the PV so they didn t show you everything in the PV but there s also some moments that underwhelm like some bad CG horse, but I was still glad I saw it in theatres.

It get a B from me and hopefully this is just a first for Okada as director.
Old 2018-07-17, 16:34   Link #31
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks for the review. Your spoilers actually make this seem pretty dark, and genuinely sad. Overall, this movie sounds very different from her previous works.
Old 2018-07-20, 20:45   Link #32
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Never heard of this movie until just now. Good on Mari Okada!

Apparently, it's being shown at a theater near me tomorrow; but I'll be honest...I don't think I'll watch it. The plot is just oozing feels that I'm not ready for. Disappointing cos I really wanna support animes in the movies!

It's doing very well on Rotten Tomatoes as well.

7.4/10 Critics score
16/0 Fresh Reviews
4.7/5 User Rating

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/maq...dience_reviews
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 18:52   Link #33
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Alright, couldn't see it in the NA premiere because for some reason Eleven Arts didn't seem to deem it worthy of a theatrical release in Canada. And while I'm just a few hours from the border, I forgot to renew my passport so I couldn't go since it takes months to get it and the screening is only in one weekend. Luckily enough, the Japanese Cultural Centre had a screening here in Canada, and while the venue isn't really movie quality, you could do A LOT worse for 10 bucks.

Overall, it was not a bad movie per se. That said, it really could have been much better if Okada kept the focus on Maquia and Maquia alone.

Maquia's story is pretty darn well told. No qualms there, as not only they deal with issues of her race being much more longer lived than humans, it also dealt with the idea of single motherhood. And holy shit, did she nail that one as I always felt so bad for Maquia trying her best to be a mother, and I have a feeling a lot of this has to do with her own relationship with her mother. While they really could have done without Ariel's Oedipus Complex, I find his reasons for leaving the house to hit a bit too close to home. Not me personally, but a friend of mine pretty much left his house because he felt like he's always treated like a kid, and I hope he's doing well as Ariel did.

The rest? Not so much. Leilia in particular was headpalm worthy. I can forgive Leilia not coming with the other 'elves' (forgot the term they're called) because the kingdom will surely hunt them down till the ends of the earth because she holds the heir apparent, but on the second coming? She doesn't want to go with Krim because she wants to be with her daughter, and the moment she meets her daughter in the rooftop, she FUCKING jumps and leaves her daughter? Yeah, just cut her out of the story altogether.

Maquia has a reason not to be with Ariel after the invasion, since 'elves' are attraction magnets and that may jeopardize Ariel's family. But Leilia in particular only endured the hardship for the one day she will be reunited with her daughter, and she threw it away in the end even though he daughter will suffer a fate similar or worse than her once she's captured by the enemy. Like sure, Leilia didn't have a mentor on how to be a mother like Maquia did, but I just can't wrap my head around why she would throw away the reason why she was living, and thus THAT needed way more time for sure.

Personally, if Nagi no Asakura overstayed it's welcome at 2 cours, this one didn't have enough time to fully flesh it's story in 2 hours. Same as in Nagi no Asakura, the story has a great deal passage of time throughout the story, and while Okada learned that 2 cours is too long, for some reason she wanted to tell a tale that is as sweeping in time as NagiAsu in a fraction of the runtime.

Funnily enough, I saw Dita first time and I go "well, there's the childhood friend LI of Ariel", and sure enough she's his wife in the future. Never change Okada, never change.

But seriously speaking, this is one aspect of the movie that would've been great to expand upon if it was made into a TV anime in the first place. It's actually an epic story spanning in effect multiple generations, but it's ambitious vision was cut short by the reality of a movie run time. For shame as it could've been so much more as a series of movies or a TV anime, but it's not without some really big faults. But for a first time director? Not bad, not bad at all.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-04, 09:37   Link #34
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Great movie

But what's the point of having Maquia raped too?
Her child didn't even appear in the story

To make her understand Leilia's pain was Krim's objective
But then that should've shown through and through
Like this it doesn't matter whether she was raped or not
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-04, 13:11   Link #35
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
Great movie

But what's the point of having Maquia raped too?
Her child didn't even appear in the story
That was a mistranslation. If you don't know Japanese I advice you not to watch this movie until official subtitles are out because the fansub available now is a mess with a lot of mistakes.
Old 2018-11-04, 13:24   Link #36
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^lol~

Yea, I rewatched that scene
And Krim actually said
"Only Iorphs who had given birth may grow their hair below the waist"
But it had to be done for Maquia's case to cut the bleached hair

I didn't hear the "ii" because too focused with the pregnant text
Old 2018-11-04, 13:55   Link #37
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I didn't hear the "ii" because too focused with the pregnant text
Yeah. I had to disable the subtitles and watch it raw. Understood better that way. lol

Quote:
"Only Iorphs who had given birth may grow their hair below the waist"
Yeah. It was kind of an indirect way of saying "you're not a real mother, Maquia." Krim was seriously butthurt Maquia had managed to find some happiness for herself by raising a child while he lost everything so he was denying Maquia's mother status. Imagine how he must have felt when Leila chose her daughter over him. lol
Old 2018-11-04, 14:18   Link #38
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Btw, Leilia abandoned her daughter in the end
Despite the country has fallen and it's princess would most likely suffer traumatic experience just like her
She just left on a dragon
So cruel
Old 2018-11-04, 14:28   Link #39
Kazu-kun

Quote:
^Btw, Leilia abandoned her daughter in the end
Leila had managed to retain some of her sanity by clinging to the image of her daughter but when she actually met her, I think she realized she didn't really know her. That's why she goes on to jump from the tower. It was a suicide attempt. She wasn't expecting Maquia to save her. You can tell because she looked really surprised that Maquia showed up.

In any case, I like to think her daughter managed to escape and follow Leila to the Iorph homeland. I think she's the redhead that appears in the still after the credits.

Images
Old 2018-11-05, 18:53   Link #40
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

You know it’s kinda funny. I bitched so much in the Goblin Slayer thread recently about how common it is to see Medieval Fantasy in anime have video game tropes and how much they’re held back by those tropes and here comes an actual Low Fantasy anime that avoids all those pitfalls altogether. This is absolutely what I like to see. It’s a setting that feels so much more immersive to me. Double points for the fact that we even discussed another pitfall of portraying 2000 year old Elves as child-like for moe points: Another pitfall Maquia averts.

Bitching aside, I really like Mari Okada’s approach to Low Fantasy in general. It reminds me of something in the vein of Robin Hobbs work (one of my favourite Fantasy writers). Robin Hobb also puts a strong focus on character relationships as opposed to the epic adventurers more common of the genre, or even the political drama more common to Low Fantasy in general e.g. A Song of Ice & Fire. Speaking of ASOIAF, I wonder if Okada was inspired by that franchise. The destruction of the Iolf homeland does bear a passing resemblance to the destruction of the Stark House, particularly in the way the focal trio split up and went their own ways and especially in the way Leilia’s situation emulated Sansa Stark’s (with Izor acting as a more simpler and straighter take on Clegane). I also liked the how the fantasy elements/races were a slowly dying element in this world. Reminds me of the Realm of the Elderlings where the magic in that setting is a largely forgotten art and a shell of its former glory. That said, one thing I didn’t like was how awfully rushed the political element of the setting was. I get that the film format is a limiting factor though.

The film actually started off quite rushed if I’m honest. The beginning could’ve been a lot better fleshed out. Events started happening way too fast and explanations were a bit too “blink and you’ll miss it”. There were so many things I would’ve liked to appreciate better and it wasn’t just events like why the whole Iolf homeland needed getting sacked or what happened to Ariel’s real mother but also some the little cultural elements too. For example it took me a long time to understand that the tapestry that the Iolf weave is their actual form of literature and that’s why they spend all day weaving it. I didn’t click the two and two together until halfway through the film, but it’s such a cool and imaginative element that I wish they gave it a little more focus. There was a cultural element to it as well with the belief in “Hibiol” but I was never able to fully connect with the Hibiol and partings subtext. I think I got, but not enough to resonate. The pointed use of different terminologies was also kinda unnecessary to be honest: Just call them Elves and Dragons. If you don't have time to explain it, use more familiar terms.

But once the first time skip happened it started getting progressively better. The exploration of motherhood and the general difficulty of single parenting was done really well. It’s kinda worth contrasting this to The Wolf Children which had a different take on the same thing. In The Wolf Children, Hana the mother is basically supermom and it was inspiring to watch her as a result. It was pretty much outside forces beyond her control that conspired to leave her with a bittersweet end. Maquia is a bit more complex: It doesn’t just have an external fantasy element causing issues but the fact that Maquia herself wasn’t perfect either. There was a very real and grounded element of dysfunction to Maquia’s motherhood and her relationship with Ariel (presumably inspired from Okada’s own experiences which she’s detailed very frankly in her autobiography) and the result was something more low-key tragic than inspiring.

Spoiler for film:

Overall a really good film. There were a few issues and I still don’t rate it as highly as The Wolf Children, but as a huge fan of Medieval Fantasy, this was a great experience.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote