AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2021-02-04, 06:43   Link #1
Nymene

Question Looking for Manga, RPG video games, or Visual Novels with a Black Protagonist

I am Looking for Manga, RPG video games, or Visual Novels with a Black Protagonist.

Is there any such titles ? The heroines can be either White or Japanese or any kind of race/skin color/species.
Nymene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-04, 07:05   Link #2
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Does it count when the characters are tanned to have dark skin?

I can contribute anime with black side characters, but there aren't any with black protagonists, unless you count the English language animation Afro Samurai. Or go out on a limb to construct dark skinned characters to be black, then there's Basquash and Tenjou Tenge.
Old 2021-02-12, 12:52   Link #3
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Well there's Nadia Secret of Blue Water. The main heroine is Atlantean, but in this world Atlanteans are originally from Africa. They changed her hair to be smooth because they couldn't get it to look right with a more standard African texture, but otherwise left her as is.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-12, 14:56   Link #4
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

If you want to get technical like this, Ged from Earth Sea is also supposed to be black. He just doesn't look the part and neither does Nadia. Also, weren't the Atlanteans basically aliens? I don't remember them originating from Africa.
0cean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-12, 15:22   Link #5
BWTraveller
Born to ship

OK yeah, checked the wiki and they were an alien race that genetically engineered whales and then humanity in order to be servants. That said, I got the impression that the remnants after their empire's destructions lived in Africa and interbred with people there. Nadia's just the only one left with any discernible traces of Atlantean blood left.
Old 2022-01-30, 15:02   Link #6
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Do they have to be games? Because if manga's OK by you I'd recommend Knights. MC is a young squire training to be a knight in a kingdom caught up in fanatic witch-hunts, who always wears a mask to hide the fact that he's black (as the local religion considers black people to be children of the devil or something). Haven't read far but as far as I went it focuses on him going about opposing the church and saving innocent girls falsely accused of witchcraft.
Old 2022-01-31, 12:55   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There's Yasuke on Neflix. Not very good though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijKAtzQY1wc
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-21, 23:01   Link #8
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

If historical is your thing there's Ore to Akuma no Blues (Me & the Devil Blues) by Akira Hiramoto, the Prison School mangaka.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-22, 16:59   Link #9
AnimeFan188

Peepo Choo:

"The series is a rude and ultraviolent satire on US-Japanese mutual cultural
misunderstanding. African-American otaku Milton is a crazed fan of the anime and manga
series Peepo Choo, and is wildly overjoyed when he wins a trip to Japan in a raffle at his
local comic shop, believing that the country is nerd heaven. His boss at the comic shop,
Jody, despises Milton but hopes that Milton's command of Japanese will help him get laid
by hot Japanese girls. What neither of them know is that the whole trip is an excuse for
their boss Gill, who has a secret life as international hitman and unstoppable killing machine
"Fate", to do a hit."

See:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/PeepoChoo

&

https://otakuusamagazine.com/peepo-choo-vol-1/

Afro Samurai:

"The Afro Samurai anime was a creative collaboration between Samuel L. Jackson, Takashi
Okazaki, and Gonzo, with the music scored by RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan. After the
success of the anime series it was adapted into an animated film, a video game and
received a live action tribute short film titled "Afro Samurai: Flesh and Bone". The anime
aired first on Spike TV in the US from Jan 4, 2007 to Feb 1, 2007. 3 months later it aired
on Japanese television over in two consecutive night blocks with Japanese subtitles."

See:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1292/Afro_Samurai

Last edited by LKK; 2022-02-22 at 17:17. Reason: Posts merged. Don't post multiple times in a row. Use Edit button instead.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-10, 16:46   Link #10
RichardFromMarple

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
OK yeah, checked the wiki and they were an alien race that genetically engineered whales and then humanity in order to be servants. That said, I got the impression that the remnants after their empire's destructions lived in Africa and interbred with people there. Nadia's just the only one left with any discernible traces of Atlantean blood left.
Certainly worth watching, especially if you like other series from the same creators.

The Island / Africa filler arc is tough going but worth it as the last few episodes are edge of the seat viewing!
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black protagonist, jp girl, white girl