Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-10-02, 14:51   Link #1021
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Japanese guy-talk is a bit more... actually, its a lot less ... with more growls.
てめえ...夜の癖に「おはよう」って言ったりしあがって...うっせんだよ、このクソ野郎が !

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 15:23   Link #1022
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't know the onomatopoeia for <coffeespew> ...
Old 2007-10-02, 19:35   Link #1023
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
てめえ...夜の癖に「おはよう」って言ったりしあがって...うっせんだよ、このクソ野郎が !

*nearly chokes*

Beautiful!
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 11:56   Link #1024
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Okay, so I'm roughly 15 lessons into Pimsleur's audio lessons and realise, "Crap, I'm not going to be able to read!" I know my two kana systems, and with my background in Chinese, I can make out what some Kanji are and figure out what it is in Japanese... but my question is this:

Is it easier to learn how to read and write after learning to converse and understand?
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 16:51   Link #1025
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
Is it easier to learn how to read and write after learning to converse and understand?
I'm probably not the best one to answer, but here are my two cents:

Yes, it is easier to learn to read and write after learning to speak *because it's easier learning to speak and comprehend*, not because speaking will aid you in writing. Being used to speaking may also cause you to automatically assume spellings of certain words which are wrong (nato for natto, satou or sato?). The only benefits I see would've come regardless whether you started with speaking or with writing - you've got some grammar and vocabulary.

I guess it's more about what your priorities are. Having no one to practice with, I chose to focus my time and energy into learning how to read and write... So while I'm OK at school work here, I'm the total baka gaijin when I have to go out and interact with the locals. If your goal is to read manga and converse in Japanese via e-mail, I recommend starting with reading and writing. And if your goal is to talk in Japanese with people, keep going with speaking. Eventually you should be able to reach both goals.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 17:06   Link #1026
Ledgem
Love Yourself

That's a difficult question. I started studying Japanese with some basic conversation knowledge, but I feel like much of it led me astray. That is, the way things sound would occasionally be taken for granted, but when you see it in writing, it suddenly made sense. As Risaa mentioned, it may mess up some of your spelling, but that's relatively easily fixable.

You're not doomed if you did it one way or the other, either way. I think it helps if you do both at the same time. I tried studying Japanese without the writing segment for a while, and my retention was very low. For me, at least, the writing reinforces the verbal in a very strong manner. But we are all different
Old 2007-10-04, 17:17   Link #1027
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I guess it's more about what your priorities are. Having no one to practice with, I chose to focus my time and energy into learning how to read and write... So while I'm OK at school work here, I'm the total baka gaijin when I have to go out and interact with the locals.
Sounds similar to me. When conversing, I usually have to mull over it for a second, but things click almost instantly when I see it in writing. I guess it's just a matter of which your studies focus on more.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 04:04   Link #1028
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Yeah, because when I studied Mandarin Chinese, I was learning everything as I went along... so there'd be dictation, conversation practice, calligraphy, character recognition etc etc. That's why now when I am doing these audio lessons, it seems a bit weird to me because I don't have the actual texts in front of me to practice with.

My main aim is to be able to speak and comprehend, so I guess this way is the best for me. However, I too don't have someone to practice with so it's a bit harder that way.
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 08:03   Link #1029
poptart
come tess me now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
Yeah, because when I studied Mandarin Chinese, I was learning everything as I went along... so there'd be dictation, conversation practice, calligraphy, character recognition etc etc. That's why now when I am doing these audio lessons, it seems a bit weird to me because I don't have the actual texts in front of me to practice with.

My main aim is to be able to speak and comprehend, so I guess this way is the best for me. However, I too don't have someone to practice with so it's a bit harder that way.
maybe you could try to take the audio and make your own script.

it would strengthen your word recognition and increase vocabulary. plus it will help you to find context and object markers.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 17:59   Link #1030
Pell14

I have this similar problem as well. I couldnt speak as well as i could write, read and listen =) There are times where i know the proper pronunication in my brain but somehow brain signals doesnt send well to my mouth output haha
Well that was pretty expected since i dont have anyone to talk to
I usually read light novels to boast my pola but furigana is kind of spoiling me hehe
Pell14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 13:34   Link #1031
AnimeIsAwesome
Someone New

Send a message via MSN to AnimeIsAwesome Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeIsAwesome
Im learning japanese but i cant seem to find where ur able to write japanese on the computer. so if anyone knos how do plz show or tell me.
AnimeIsAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 15:07   Link #1032
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeIsAwesome View Post
Im learning japanese but i cant seem to find where ur able to write japanese on the computer. so if anyone knos how do plz show or tell me.
if you're on a pc:
control panel > regional and language options
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 17:15   Link #1033
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
On a mac:

Apple > System Preferences > International > Input Menu > scroll down and tell it to install Japanese.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 22:11   Link #1034
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
if you're on a pc:
control panel > regional and language options
This is just a minor correction, but I couldn't resist to add that PC != Windows. You should have said, "If you are on Windows...". It's minor, but it's important to understand the difference between OS and PC

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 22:15   Link #1035
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
On a mac:

Apple > System Preferences > International > Input Menu > scroll down and tell it to install Japanese.
Ahhh, thanks! This is useful since I just started my first year in Japanese.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 01:45   Link #1036
zetsumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Sounds similar to me. When conversing, I usually have to mull over it for a second, but things click almost instantly when I see it in writing. I guess it's just a matter of which your studies focus on more.

Speaking and listening is definitely the two hardest things to try to pick IMO, if you don't use it daily. I've been self-learning Japanese for about 4 months now and has picked up about 400 something Kanji, and can pick up and understand a little bit of the how things got translated now. So many words that have the same pronunciation but all have different meanings, hard for the brain to pick up right away if not use in daily conversation. Watching anime is a great way to pick up new stuff for me, especially from the OP/ED.

Irregular reading and meanings of combined Kanji is another problem. Some combined Kanji meanings just got me saying "How...what the..."

I saw the first episode of Bamboo Blade today and when the title and I saw 味「Taste; Experience」 + 方「Way of; Person; Direction 」 and would have never guess 味方 was ally/friend. Unless those two Kanji has more definition I don't know about...
zetsumei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 16:39   Link #1037
i8o
のヮの

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsumei View Post
I saw the first episode of Bamboo Blade today and when the title and I saw 味「Taste; Experience」 + 方「Way of; Person; Direction 」 and would have never guess 味方 was ally/friend. Unless those two Kanji has more definition I don't know about...
味方 is replaced Kanji that was not considered of meaning.
味方 is 御方 originally.

味方 = 御方 = mikata = mi(prefix of respect) + kata(side)
i8o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 21:43   Link #1038
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

いわう = to celebrate

iwatte okimasu = to celebrate in advance.

Am I right?

As in, Atashi wa hatachi ni narimasu, iwatte okimasu.
Old 2007-10-20, 01:40   Link #1039
shadow-of-sin
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to shadow-of-sin
Quote:
いわう = to celebrate

iwatte okimasu = to celebrate in advance.

Am I right?

As in, Atashi wa hatachi ni narimasu, iwatte okimasu.
Yes that's right.

Just a small tip: if you want to see if some sentence is right (especially to see if the context is correct) try searching google with the phrase (remember the inverted commas). So for example when you search for ”祝っておく”,”誕生日”, one of the sentences that comes up is:
相方が誕生日なので祝っておく
(this is one of the times where Rikaichan is very useful)
shadow-of-sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-20, 20:47   Link #1040
Onakra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJiffy View Post
Atashi wa hatachi ni narimasu, iwatte okimasu.
Just noting that "atashi" is only used by females.

And it might be just me, but this seems to "flow" a bit better.
"watashi ha hatachi ni naru no de iwatte okimasu"
Onakra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiragana