AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-02-06, 18:19   Link #1
AyumiDesu
Kiss-sui.com Princess

Can anime negatively influence society?

Detective Conan is a suspense show and mainly he finds out who the killer is. But every week boys and girls watch someone get killed. I am afraid that they might get used to feel the murder.

Then they might not be able to care about somebody dying anymore.

Is this a possible way that anime could hurt (or just affect) society?
AyumiDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 18:25   Link #2
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Yes, it is possible. Then again, it's way more possible to learn all kinds of ways to murder people or not care about people dying by simply following mainstream news bulletins.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 18:32   Link #3
ezara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Yes, it is possible. Then again, it's way more possible to learn all kinds of ways to murder people or not care about people dying by simply following mainstream news bulletins.
It's true. We see alot of scary stuff on the news. And the news on tv is REAL too.

but. . .did anyone see Elfen Lied? The puppy scene is just. . .brutal. Maybe it reflects our society, but it might also teach revenge.
ezara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 18:37   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Pretty easy answer: NO.

Every legitimate study done shows no direct connection between watching film/anime/whatever fiction and committing violence - especially for age-appropriate audiences. Take a toddler to a Saw movie? yeah, you're going to traumatize it and you're an idiot. Violence portrayed on tv, especially in poor context, just tends to magnify fear and anxiety rather than aggression.

Anime is WAY down the list from "the local news" or all the crime shows on evening television in being toxic to the brain. I don't think Elfen Lied teaches much of anything other than using massive violence to "solve a problem" tends to spiral in all directions and no one really "wins". It is basically a horror film.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-02-06 at 18:56.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 18:38   Link #5
klowny
OH NO

I don't know, i think TV scares people the most because it seems like someone get's murdered or something bad happens Every week but yeah anythings Possible, but its just a show your watching on the tube
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 19:10   Link #6
james0246

Unless you are a real life Mad Scientist that was inspired by anime to create a Giant Mecha, no, I do not think that (current) anime/really really effects society/culture in any significant way.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 19:18   Link #7
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyumiDesu View Post
Detective Conan is a suspense show and mainly he finds out who the killer is. But every week boys and girls watch someone get killed.

I will not reply to your main question, but people around the world watch more series like CSI or Law & Order, and some other people plays to games like GTA. So you know <.<, If there is an influence (i don't know), I think the animes have less influence than all those others series/games.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 19:23   Link #8
ezara

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Unless you are a real life Mad Scientist that was inspired by anime to create a Giant Mecha, no, I do not think that (current) anime/really really effects society/culture in any significant way.
LOL! Yeah, because all anime is about giant robot. My favorite part of Honey and Clover was when Hagu created that giant sculpture robot and destroyed Tokyo.
Old 2009-02-06, 19:41   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Are ya'll trying to out-sarcasm each other? At some point someone is accidentally going to think the other is serious.
Old 2009-02-06, 19:47   Link #10
ezara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Are ya'll trying to out-sarcasm each other? At some point someone is accidentally going to think the other is serious.
So true. I am trying to break my sarcasm habit. Gomen!
Old 2009-02-06, 19:58   Link #11
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezara View Post
LOL! Yeah, because all anime is about giant robot. My favorite part of Honey and Clover was when Hagu created that giant sculpture robot and destroyed Tokyo.
That was my favourite episode of the series. To bad the second season introduced tentacle demons that like little girls...it's sad when a good series goes down hill.
Old 2009-02-06, 19:58   Link #12
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
*sign* only if I was a Mad Scientist. then I could make all sorts of mech I want but life isn't fair .

On the serious notes, society as whole very very unlikely. On other hand affects on individual is possibility but this obviously applies to every single media.
Old 2009-02-06, 19:59   Link #13
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

Quote:
Detective Conan is a suspense show and mainly he finds out who the killer is. But every week boys and girls watch someone get killed. I am afraid that they might get used to feel the murder.

HAHAHA

Since Higurashi was blamed for some murders, I wish Detective Conan also blamed too. At least Hirgurashi is aired in late nights.
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 20:02   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll start blaming death and violence in real life on evil pixies and the "voices in people's heads" since it couldn't possibly be actually the perpetrator's own responsibility

I have a smidge more concern about viewing real life trauma and violence or live-action portrayal in poorly written crime drama than I do animated cartoons....

sometimes I want to reach into the tv and slap the actors and the writers for the horrible storylines and crap drama that the "sex crime" shows pump out - maybe thats the sort of violence to worry about.
Old 2009-02-06, 20:14   Link #15
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll start blaming death and violence in real life on evil pixies and the "voices in people's heads" since it couldn't possibly be actually the perpetrator's own responsibility

I have a smidge more concern about viewing real life trauma and violence or live-action portrayal in poorly written crime drama than I do animated cartoons....
Agreed. The only way that an anime (or a fictional work in general) could concretely influence a person's moral choices (etc), is if the person is already predisposed to follow the specific stances found in the piece of fiction. Specifically, a person will already have formed an opinion, and when they find a piece of fiction that supports their opinions, the fictional work will then encourage their already formed opinion, but not create the original opinion.
Old 2009-02-06, 22:55   Link #16
Shadow Kira01

Quote:

I don't think so. If people watch the news about the Middle East and watch rocket launches everyday, will people start making homemade rockets and fire them for fun? I totally doubt it.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 22:55   Link #17
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I sort of agree with Vexx's position and sort of don't.

I definitely agree that the link between media violence and aggression is weak. And I think the idea that something like Higurashi or Elfen Lied will make someone start killing people is ridiculous, unless the person is already nuts. Pretty much everyone consciously rejects the murders portrayed in these shows as a legitimate way of solving problems.

However, there are other negative influences in media that are subtle enough that people don't consciously reject them. These influences can cause people to have negative behaviors. So from that perspective, anime definitely can have a negative influence on society.

I believe that people need to take personal responsibility for their actions and I'm against censorship. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that media in general and anime specifically don't influences people.

Okay, enough seriousness...

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!
http://www.alafista.com/2008/05/22/k...ine-streaming/
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 02:25   Link #18
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
However, there are other negative influences in media that are subtle enough that people don't consciously reject them.
Such as? You know, you have to explain what you mean.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 02:37   Link #19
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

i remember some blog state that "kanokon" was number one show for children on Saturaday. i was like
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 04:40   Link #20
The Wild Turkey
Something something

Quote:

Jack Thompson, is that you?

Quite frankly, the vast majority of people have the mental maturity to differentiate fictional violence from real violence. The only risk comes from the small percentage who don't have that ability, but as there has been violence on TV since it's early days (Three Stooges anyone?), I daresay it is safe to say that the risk is negligible.
The Wild Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote