Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-05, 23:33   Link #501
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Zhao Min can actually fight though, Togame is ... Zhao Min literally has Wuji on a leash, and Wuji actually tries to resist her. Wuji is also a lot more overpowered than Shichika, in fact ... Wuji is completely overpowered.

Either way, both heroines are a lot more aggressive than your regular females, which I think a lot of anime fans love.
Zhao Min fights with "ninja" style tactics like poison needles and gas traps. She is nowhere near a pugilist, or even a normal fighter. But yeah, Togame is completely useless. But their characters are pretty much the same, willing to drop their namesake and titles to follow someone they love.

Shichika's Swordless style is more towards Linghu Chong (Smiling Proud Wanderer)'s Dugu Nine Swords, a formless combat style that adapts itself to every blow the opponent throws at him. The names of the hissatsu are just given to a set of combo moves dealt and chained together randomly to look cool when finishing off an opponent who can no longer defend him/herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... the artwork for this series is starting to swamp the desktops of all the computers in my house. There is a lot to catch the eye...
IMO the artwork looks rather archaic, like from the game Okami for PS2. But looks good.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 19:18   Link #502
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Thinking about getting a custom Koumori plush made. Lord know no official ones will ever get made. I think a Togame plush would be awesome though.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 23:20   Link #503
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

I just watched this the other day and it's been on my mind ever since. It needs another viewing.

I was quite captivated by it. The character designs seemed a bit unusual at first, but they quickly grew on me. In fact, I find Togame to be curiously attractive, now.

I was delighted with Togame. When I think of Tamura Yukari, I'm mainly familiar with her as Rika Furude, Mai Kawasumi, Nanoha Takamachi... the more mild mannered type of characters. So, to hear her in this outgoing, tsundere kind of role was a treat for me.

I thought Shichika was rather charming with his admittedly simple minded way of seeing things. I think those two will make for a highly entertaining pair. I'm really looking forward to the next episode.
Old 2010-02-07, 20:37   Link #504
takodori

Here are some collection of the background information about the location of Episode.2 to air tonight in Japan.

Spoiler for location of the Episode 2:

Last edited by takodori; 2010-02-07 at 20:49.
takodori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 20:47   Link #505
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Oh wow, that's airing tonight all ready? I'm not very excited since i know Koumori won't be in in, but I want to hear what the heron boy's voice sounds like.
Old 2010-02-07, 21:43   Link #506
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by takodori View Post
Here are some collection of the background information about the location of Episode.2 to air tonight in Japan.

Spoiler for location of the Episode 2:
I will be really honest here. I didn't know Japan has any place remotely desertlike.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 22:08   Link #507
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by takodori View Post
I haven't read up on any of the background for this show. Are all of the settings in the anime going to be based on actual locations? Was that island in the first episode an actual place?
Old 2010-02-08, 02:01   Link #508
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Are all of the settings in the anime going to be based on actual locations?
Despite Isin taking some historical liberties, yes, all of locations seem to be more or less based on the real Japan. Much like Bakemonogatari based on an actual city. And Haruhi. And Aoi Hana. And many more other shows, though in case of Katanagatari it's a bit more spectacular.

As for the island, who knows, I don't think it was even named.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 02:51   Link #509
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

I'm aware that a lot of anime settings use real life references. I was just wondering in this case, where a journey/quest is taking place, if there was any pre-production information stating that they were going to use references from large geographical areas. As you said, "a bit more spectacular."
Old 2010-02-08, 04:38   Link #510
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Episode 2 ending song is Refulgence, by a doujin group called "Shoujobyo" (Girl Disease).

Ah, I wish they would invite Faylan to sing something for Katanagatari too.
Old 2010-02-08, 08:28   Link #511
asrielchase

Shoujobyo!? That's surprising. Reminded me that they already have a major-release not too long ago. Yousei Teikoku, and now Shoujobyo, makes me wonder are they aiming for a particular style of music
asrielchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 08:33   Link #512
Horse

I guess they are aiming for what's cheap. :P They certainly don't care about the EDs (see the animation for Yousei Teikoku ED). Let's think what's next... yousei teikoku, shoujo byou... oh, how about ABSOLUTE CASTAWAY (certainly a better choice than shoujo byou)?
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 09:21   Link #513
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Well, each episode is 50 minutes long so I don't think we can really blame them for skimping on the ending animation.

A new VS. image is up on the official site, it's of that samurai goon that looks like a replicant of Mifune.
Old 2010-02-08, 09:44   Link #514
asrielchase

Absolute Castaway would be awesome but they haven't gone major yet. I don't think groups like them would be asked to do the EDs. Oh how I wish there would be more exposure for doujin musicians.
asrielchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 10:08   Link #515
takodori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
Was that island in the first episode an actual place?
I don't think it's an actual place, though it's true in the Japanese history that almost every HAN(clan) that faced sea had islands for banishment. I think so did it in the West such as Elba where Napoleon was sent for banishment.
takodori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 12:08   Link #516
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

wordswordswordswordswordswordswords
They seriously had to sit IN THE MIDDLE OF A DESERT to talk for ~10 minutes?

Also, soundtrack suddeny got RAW RAW FIGHT THE POWAH'd.
Hakuhei (the swordsman who was talked about in ep01) seems to be voiced by Daisuke Ono, but I might be mistaken here.
Upd: That was Midorikawa Hikaru.

They should have made episodes, well, regular 25 minutes.
All this talking could work in the book, but putting it in anime seems, well...
I don't have anything about well-crafted dialogue, but animation seemed to drop a bit too!
Can't say I wasn't entertained, but...

Aaaand--- so far:
Kanna (Ep01) > Namakura (Ep02)

Aaaand-- also:
Meiya Kadenrou (OP) > Tasogare no Getsuka (ED01) > Refulgence (ED02)

Oh and ending illustration changed a bit.

2nd Bluray (release date: May 12th) will include a CD with the ending and the second chapter of Isin-wirtten drama about Kyotoryuu, this time around narrated by Uneri Ginkaku.

Last edited by Daniel Lind; 2010-02-08 at 14:19.
Old 2010-02-08, 15:26   Link #517
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
wordswordswordswordswordswordswords
They seriously had to sit IN THE MIDDLE OF A DESERT to talk for ~10 minutes?
This sums up the first half pretty well, given what happened in episode 1 this is pretty unsurprising though. I laughed so hard when the BGM started at like ~13 minutes in. It was freaking awesome BGM too. Honestly, the music/sound in this is pretty fabulous. OP > ED2 > ED1 for me.

Content wise

Spoiler for 2:

Gotta say nobody would've guessed the epic strategy at the end though .
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 15:42   Link #518
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

You two really have been expecting good things for the Taku score in the second episode. Can't wait to hear it.
Old 2010-02-08, 15:53   Link #519
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post

Spoiler for 2:

Gotta say nobody would've guessed the epic strategy at the end though .
Sheesh, so many new characters and no raw in sight. One thing I absolutley hate is not knowing when a character is dead. I noticed you mentioned the Koumori kill animation, which I found interesting since I assumed that he just got knocked out and afterwards, they never used the term kill or killed, but rather just 'finish off' which could really mean anything. Shichika said that he was splitting him into seven or eight parts, so I was supriesed when he wasn't cut up at all. So, was it just massive internal bleeding? Damn I wish those books were translated so I know what the hell's going on.
Old 2010-02-08, 16:12   Link #520
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Shichika said that he was splitting him into seven or eight parts
That was a bit of a stretch on Mazui's translation.
八つ裂き means "to tear apart" but is read "yatsusaki" and the move was invented by Shichika so he called it 七花八裂, shichika hachiretsu which can be translated as "Eight parts of seven flowers / of Shichika". Same kanji, different reading, different meaning, classic Nisio Isin's pun.

Um, while we're at it, I guess I'll explain a tiny bit about Shichika's name as well.
Everyone in Yasuri's family (which in itself is made to suit Shikizaki's sword naming scheme) are called in two kanji with the first symbol being a number of generation.
Say, the founder was called 一根, kazune, the first symbol is 1, Mutsue is written as 六枝 with 六 being "6". Both Nanami and Shichika have "7" in their name.
As for Yasuri itself. Every sword of Shikizaki is called <characteristic>刀・<name> and, notably, every name kanji contains 金 kanji as its left part. (The kanji means "metal", though it's only natural for metallic instruments to have that in their own kanji, Isin had to choose the names carefully). Anyway, 虚刀・鑢 (Kyotou - Yasuri // The Hollow Sword - Rasp) absolutely fits the naming scheme Isin choose for the swords of Shikizaki. And, guess what, that's how the audio drama Nisio Isin writes as BD/DVD bonus is called.

Likewise, every Maniwa ninja is called after an animal. Koumori means Bat and the one that got sliced in ep 2 was a white heron.
Names of the other important characters seem to be built around descriptive naming as well.
Truly, a hell for a translator.

Last edited by Daniel Lind; 2010-02-08 at 16:27.

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy