AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament Volume 15 Rating
Perfect 10 17 30.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 29.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.82%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.64%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-04-30, 13:47   Link #741
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Lol I similarly expect it to be explained well over time. And a science side analogy for phases is a pretty good description. I'll add that archetypes have to do with general aspects of personality and our mindset, but it's a bit vague depending on the interpretation. All you need to keep in mind is that Aleister is good at manipulating people, and this is why. He can manipulate your motivations and personality.
this is what wikipedia gave me for archetype
Spoiler for archetype:

Spoiler for my ideasof the possible powers:

either way, this is how i think the powers will appear if kamachi uses the wikipedia definions, but in either case the resulting ability seems to be incredible OP
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-30, 20:35   Link #742
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Only speculations with no solid basis so far.
Kuroageha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-30, 22:58   Link #743
Last_Aeon
I'm a boy, enough?

The illustration was just uploaded. Yuitsuu looks abit taller than I anticipated.
Last_Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-30, 23:08   Link #744
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Aeon View Post
The illustration was just uploaded. Yuitsuu looks abit taller than I anticipated.
Still she's pretty hot imo.
Wonder what will become of her next volume. Whole volume imo ended on a cliff hanger, so damn.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-01, 00:44   Link #745
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Only speculations with no solid basis so far.
At least it has more “basis“ than a lot of other theorys
But lets be honest, kamachi isnt famous for giving actual direct explanations for anything therefore a lot of the thinhs we have are speculations
Old 2016-05-01, 01:47   Link #746
dniv
Season 3

Based on my guess, I think that Archetype Controller has the ability to create, eliminate, or alter new/existing archetypes.

Archetypes are sort of like a basis for personality, motivation, thought, and etc. (It is a scientific equivalent which plays the same role as religious myths and folk-tales that drive the specific aspirations, fears, and emotions of individuals belonging that live their lives based on their beliefs in those specific religious myths). They shape the direction of everything that you try to do. They're based on the deep why questions that you care about. I think NT 11 sort of heavily foreshadowed what influence this has on Espers by pointing out how Misaki and Mitsuyari both had Mental Out and that something deeper like an Archetype was probably responsible for both of them acquiring Mental Out as an esper power.

The pattern that Kiharas make level fives experience certain incidents in order to affect their growths or developments also probably ties into or supports this notion.

From my point of view, Aleister can alter the types of ways in which people can think and strive for. It is unclear how much control he has over this sort of thing, but it would be interesting if this sort of thing is exactly what gave "birth" to Touma's super odd personality. Though it's for this sort of reason that he's so untouchable to most. He can predict basically everything about you. However, it seems as if his control has limits. What interests me is where this limit is at and why it exists (other than the obvious partial explanation that it somehow clashes with the magic side concept of phases and fails to influence certain things).

Edit: @RavagerBlade This sort of cliffhanger is honestly pretty unusual for Kamachi. We've only gotten things like this at the end of NT 8 and perhaps if you really count it at the end of NT 9? I feel like most of the epic reveals in the epilogue don't actually count as cliffhangers. Only something like the world ending is actually a cliff. I count NT 9, because we had no clue what was going to happen to Touma and Othinus upon them returning back other than him being determined to protect her?

Either way, man, this was a harsh cliff. Waiting will be sad.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-01, 06:21   Link #747
LevelSeven

Quote:
Based on my guess, I think that Archetype Controller has the ability to create, eliminate, or alter new/existing archetypes.
that would be the easiest solution
but lets not forget how kamachi played the holy right,
it had pretty un-bible based powers (like the OHK ability), it opens the possibility that archetype is used for the name but it may simply be a modified large scale mind-control ability :/
it would also fit into noukens comment about "aleister could f*ck up the magic side with the controller" (since: erase the knowledge of magic -> no magicians exist anymore >_< )
Quote:
Archetypes are sort of like a basis for personality, motivation, thought, and etc. (It is a scientific equivalent which plays the same role as religious myths and folk-tales that drive the specific aspirations, fears, and emotions of individuals belonging that live their lives based on their beliefs in those specific religious myths). They shape the direction of everything that you try to do.They're based on the deep why questions that you care about.
there is not one single thing that defines archetypes, it can be either of the options if posted or kamachi wont use anything similar :/
Quote:
I think NT 11 sort of heavily foreshadowed what influence this has on Espers by pointing out how Misaki and Mitsuyari both had Mental Out and that something deeper like an Archetype was probably responsible for both of them acquiring Mental Out as an esper power.
i dont think the controller could give esper powers, he wouldnt boter himself with the entire AC lie if he could simply give powers (imagine hundreds of aim stalker lvl 5s under his control, they create espers however he wants... makes the whole city useless :/ )
Quote:
The pattern that Kiharas make level fives experience certain incidents in order to affect their growths or developments also probably ties into or supports this notion.
nah, the "incidents" are made for the maturing of the pre-existing power, not to actually alter or create esper powers from scratch...
Quote:
From my point of view, Aleister can alter the types of ways in which people can think and strive for.
that would be a bit boring,and OP (plus he could have used it and get all kiharas to united for his own goal <_<)
Quote:
He can predict basically everything about you.
that is a common trait of big bad masterminds
Quote:
However, it seems as if his control has limits. What interests me is where this limit is at and why it exists (other than the obvious partial explanation that it somehow clashes with the magic side concept of phases and fails to influence certain things).
i guess it is simply that he isnt omniscient, he has limits :/
Old 2016-05-01, 08:03   Link #748
Tiken
Supreme Coconut Edgelord

Well, the way it was stated early on was that he was able to either directly or indirectly control perceptions.

Now, something like this might not make sense to most, but the way this can be explained is: The way people perceive things on a metaphysical level of thought and the reasons behind why people do what they do can be influenced by external factors which affect affect the brain and how it processes information, forcing it to accept certain instincts that the human body can't ignore. In other words, instinctual manipulation on such a deep level that it literally affects your entire being as a person.

The best example That I can think of is (How you ever felt irritated, or angry at somebody due to stress, or maybe demotivated to do anything on certain days?) Or another example, is how when a bull see's the color red, it's instinct is telling it to take action and destroy the very thing that is making it angry.

I'm not sure if this is Aleister's power, but if it's based on the mind and it's interpretation of spirituality, then it shouldn't be too far off base.
Tiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-01, 08:05   Link #749
Marcus H.
Toji Affairs Secretary

Remember, the Roman Catholic Church was supposed to look at Academy City like its very existence is a scourge. Why did the aggression suddenly cease to happen? What if Aleister realigned the archetype of Academy City after WWIII?

Spring 2018: Amanchu! Advance (9/12) and Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii.
Carryover from Winter 2018: Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc (16/22) and Toji no Miko.
See the Toji no Miko Wiki Project in action!
Summer 2018: Hataraku Saibou (1/1c) and Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes (1/1c).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 34. Completed: 336. Plan to watch: 31.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-01, 08:30   Link #750
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiken View Post
Now, something like this might not make sense to most, but the way this can be explained is: The way people perceive things on a metaphysical level of thought and the reasons behind why people do what they do can be influenced by external factors which affect affect the brain and how it processes information, forcing it to accept certain instincts that the human body can't ignore. In other words, instinctual manipulation on such a deep level that it literally affects your entire being as a person.
sounds like a mix out of the first and third option i got from wikis archetype definitons

^considering that the issue of the WW3s aftereffect was somehow completly non-existent in the time NT happened, which is literallynot even 4 days ago) i would either say it is like you said or kamachi simply didnt care about that stuff
Old 2016-05-01, 08:37   Link #751
Marcus H.
Toji Affairs Secretary

It also brings up another question of why in countless hells did Crowley even painted a huge target on Academy City. Was it to cause Index and some other mages to "take refuge" in Academy City and, by extension, have them protect the city by proxy through the Kamijou Faction?

Unfortunately, there's very little to work with since Kamachi still leaves us in the dark about Aleister's Plan even as we reach 37 volumes++.

Carryover from Winter 2018: Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc (16/22) and Toji no Miko.
Summer 2018: Hataraku Saibou (1/1c) and Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes (1/1c).

Old 2016-05-01, 09:50   Link #752
UsagiTenpura
Artist

I think the most likely examples of archetype manipulation that Aleister did was how he turned academy city into the cultural representative of "science" worldwide (comparable to the Vatican for the Roman catholic church/Cross church) and how he bound the "mad scientists" into the Kihara bloodlines and them to AC.

This is also highly speculative but my general understanding is that the magic side as it's peak can sorta "reroll" all the dice in the world and fix the results. But no matter what on a 6 faced die you only have 6 possibilities. Magic could as thus create extremely unlikely possibilities and casting even a single spell may be the equivalent of rolling 25 "6" in a row (so it's still pretty extraordinary) but the ultimate outcome remains within the realm of what the world could naturally produce. Aleister going into the science side appears to me like him trying to be be able to create the possibly of rolling "7" with these dices, creating new possibilities altogether.
At least that's how I sorta got thing based on NT9 in particular.
I guess it's like being an admin with scripting knowledge (magic) vs modifying the engine's coding (science).
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-01, 11:56   Link #753
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
I think the most likely examples of archetype manipulation that Aleister did was how he turned academy city into the cultural representative of "science" worldwide (comparable to the Vatican for the Roman catholic church/Cross church) and how he bound the "mad scientists" into the Kihara bloodlines and them to AC.
nah, AC became what it is because it is the center of the most advanced science-stuff from all over the world :/ i doubt that the arch-controller was involved in that
Old 2016-05-01, 14:42   Link #754
DragonXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Remember, the Roman Catholic Church was supposed to look at Academy City like its very existence is a scourge. Why did the aggression suddenly cease to happen? What if Aleister realigned the archetype of Academy City after WWIII?
No it isn't because of that the RCC change it look on AC but because at the end the whole world had only one enemy at the end of WWIII and like real life everything was said to be his doing so the RCC clam down and then Gremlin show up like right after WWIII which once again give the Whole World an enemy, the real question is what they will do now that there no common enemy anymore, so no more working together.

Who here is hype for NT16 because all the plot point of this Story Arc have come together in NT15.
This mean either NT16 will be the starting point of the Final Arc of the Story Arc or it could be the starting point to the event that lead to the Story Arc's final Arc.
It could also be the end to an unknown side plot that was in the pasts books NT11-15 that we didn't know was there like NT7 was for the Gremlin arc bringing together all the event of NT1,5-6 around Frenda sister.
Last thing it could be is an Arc for what Accel was doing from after the event of NT10 to the event of NT15.

I don't know if it was Miki or Kamachi who said that Kamachi was three books ahead in Index series but I know one of them did and this would mean that when NT12 was release Kamachi was on NT15 or finishing it, which mean that he knew where he was going which this Story back when we were on NT12 and that mean which the release of NT15, Kamachi would be on the starting point of this Story Arc climax which I believe will start on NT18 but I may be wrong

Last edited by DragonXX; 2016-05-01 at 15:02.
DragonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-01, 21:46   Link #755
zaikoi

New MAD video is up for NT 15!

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPf-...ature=youtu.be

Nicovideo:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28753833
zaikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-02, 06:14   Link #756
Last_Aeon
I'm a boy, enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXX View Post
No it isn't because of that the RCC change it look on AC but because at the end the whole world had only one enemy at the end of WWIII and like real life everything was said to be his doing so the RCC clam down and then Gremlin show up like right after WWIII which once again give the Whole World an enemy, the real question is what they will do now that there no common enemy anymore, so no more working together.

Who here is hype for NT16 because all the plot point of this Story Arc have come together in NT15.
This mean either NT16 will be the starting point of the Final Arc of the Story Arc or it could be the starting point to the event that lead to the Story Arc's final Arc.
It could also be the end to an unknown side plot that was in the pasts books NT11-15 that we didn't know was there like NT7 was for the Gremlin arc bringing together all the event of NT1,5-6 around Frenda sister.
Last thing it could be is an Arc for what Accel was doing from after the event of NT10 to the event of NT15.

I don't know if it was Miki or Kamachi who said that Kamachi was three books ahead in Index series but I know one of them did and this would mean that when NT12 was release Kamachi was on NT15 or finishing it, which mean that he knew where he was going which this Story back when we were on NT12 and that mean which the release of NT15, Kamachi would be on the starting point of this Story Arc climax which I believe will start on NT18 but I may be wrong

What if... NT16 was all about accel instead, so we need to wait one whole more volume.
Last_Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-02, 21:27   Link #757
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
Whole volume imo ended on a cliff hanger, so damn.
Quote:
This sort of cliffhanger is honestly pretty unusual for Kamachi.
You are using the word cliffhanger wrong, both of you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A cliffhanger or cliffhanger ending is a plot device in fiction which features a main character in a precarious or difficult dilemma, or confronted with a shocking revelation at the end of an episode[1] of serialized fiction. A cliffhanger is hoped to ensure the audience will return to see how the characters resolve the dilemma.
Nothing in the ending of NT15 had that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
But then why is Laura still hellbent on her hunt of him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
nah, AC became what it is because it is the center of the most advanced science-stuff from all over the world :/ i doubt that the arch-controller was involved in that
NT11 epilogue dude:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noukan
He was the one that used the terms Academy City, esper, and science side and tossed them inside a framework that could be called mankind’s worship of science.
Pretty explicit that he used the Archetype Controller in some manner.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-02, 21:38   Link #758
Marcus H.
Toji Affairs Secretary

Quote:
She might be immune to the effects of the Archetype Controller.
Laura's on the higher echelon of magic-users anyway.

Old 2016-05-02, 22:10   Link #759
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfictions View Post

It's her job and she enjoys doing it.
Kuroageha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-02, 22:39   Link #760
DragonXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
It's her job and she enjoys doing it.
Even so, we still don't know why she does or even there past, only thing we do know is Laura had a hand in Crowley first witch hunt too.
DragonXX is offline   Reply With Quote